Destroyaaa

Super Smash Bros Thread

Since I have a nice gaming PC ive been contemplating trading in my xbox towards a wii u just for smash and zelda since I used to play those during the halo 2 days. However I'm not sure if thats a good move. The only game I care for is gears of war on xbox and currently overwatch just to play with friends.

Only thing I'd be disappointed with is basically losing money for all the digital games I had on Xbox or wonder if i'll get burnt out on smash. 

Since I have a nice gaming PC ive been contemplating trading in my xbox towards a wii u just for smash and zelda since I used to play those during the halo 2 days. However I'm not sure if thats a good move. The only game I care for is gears of war on xbox and currently overwatch just to play with friends.

Only thing I'd be disappointed with is basically losing money for all the digital games I had on Xbox or wonder if i'll get burnt out on smash. 

It depends how badly you want to get good or how much you enjoy the game.

For a while I was actually going to tournaments and trying to get good but now i just play every once in a while. Two guys I played with took it to another level and are now 2 of the best players in New England. Just grinded the fuck out of melee. Just depends what your goals are.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys lets get our EVO predictions in while its still early!!!

I'm just doing this with no bracket info. Remember PPMD and Leffen are not in attendance.

Melee

1. Mango

2. M2K

3. Hbox

4. Armada

5. Plup

5. Axe

7. SFAT

7. Wobbles

Despite the EVO action, Wisconsin hosted our biggest 64 torny in history this weekend (still small), featuring Indiana locals Dogs_Johnson and B33F, along with NYC's #2 player Zeppelin (got 7th at Apex), and of course the WI locals. In a surprising upset, I took home the W! Felt damn good as Zep was a massive favorite to win, and I was the 6 seed.

Bracket: http://madsmash.challonge.com/mtsd764

• Upvote (+1) 2

Despite the EVO action, Wisconsin hosted our biggest 64 torny in history this weekend (still small), featuring Indiana locals Dogs_Johnson and B33F, along with NYC's #2 player Zeppelin (got 7th at Apex), and of course the WI locals. In a surprising upset, I took home the W! Felt damn good as Zep was a massive favorite to win, and I was the 6 seed.

Bracket: http://madsmash.challonge.com/mtsd764

Dude, gratz! I'd be so pumped.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Well that's probably going to be as entertaining as any hungrybox set is ever going to be.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well that's probably going to be as entertaining as any hungrybox set is ever going to be.

That was a pretty hype set and I'm glad i watched it. I'm also happy for hbox man he really wanted it and deserved it. Guy is so clutch

• Upvote (+1) 1

That HBox comeback doe. Seriously, congrats to him. I wish I knew what it felt like in smash or Halo to stand on that stage and hold up that plaque. Not only that but I love that Hbox shows his excitement. Nothing like world champs where CLG was just too tweaked on addy to even realize they won.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Have fun getting elimed by m2k :kappa:

He could probs beat me and every1 from my state. If I mained a different character id be confident but beating his campy ass kirby will be very hard lol

He could probs beat me and every1 from my state. If I mained a different character id be confident but beating his campy ass kirby will be very hard lol

Is there a "best" character in 64? I've only watched a few series, but it seems like some characters' strengths are entirely in combos, whereas others are gods offstage. The stocks go really quickly either way.

every1 on reddit is sleeping on m2k. Guy has beat sensei and fireblaster. Though he still is unlikely to get top 32 cause of how stacked it is, but there's a good chance

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there a "best" character in 64? I've only watched a few series, but it seems like some characters' strengths are entirely in combos, whereas others are gods offstage. The stocks go really quickly either way.

pikachu is the best pretty much solely because he has the best recovery by far with 20 frames of invincibility on start up coming out frame 1 so he can escape all pseudo combos as well. It goes the farthest and people practice ledge cancels it for no lag recoveries all the time. And even with the lag, most characters have to hard read where he'll land to punish. But yeah, everyone is viable because you can combo with every character and/or options in the neutral unlike other games. 

the low tiers:

like ness, luigi, and dk have the worse neutral games imo, but good combos.

link and samus have a subpar combo game (Tho they still have combos), but have a decent neutral game.

the other characters have good combos and neutral. I'd argue fox/falcon have the best neutral but they get crazy gimped so they can't afford to lose neutral once. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I might start playing Melee (semi-competitively) in the fall, depending on how busy I am, so I have some questions for some of the vets regarding starting out. I've heard that Cpt Falcon is a good choice for beginners because it forces you to learn the fundamentals, and I've heard the same thing about Marth, but it seems like Marth would be more difficult to start out with because you have to be so precise with the sword, because it does different stuff depending on where you hit them. I have no idea if I will prefer characters that are tech-heavy or not, but I'm pretty sure I will never, ever, main Puff, just based on my general preferences in games.

Maybe some of you guys could talk about which characters you started with and how it turned out. Just so you know, while the last time I played Melee was probably about 13 years ago, I've been learning a lot ever since watching the Smash Brothers documentary.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I might start playing Melee (semi-competitively) in the fall, depending on how busy I am, so I have some questions for some of the vets regarding starting out. I've heard that Cpt Falcon is a good choice for beginners because it forces you to learn the fundamentals, and I've heard the same thing about Marth, but it seems like Marth would be more difficult to start out with because you have to be so precise with the sword, because it does different stuff depending on where you hit them. I have no idea if I will prefer characters that are tech-heavy or not, but I'm pretty sure I will never, ever, main Puff, just based on my general preferences in games.

Maybe some of you guys could talk about which characters you started with and how it turned out. Just so you know, while the last time I played Melee was probably about 13 years ago, I've been learning a lot ever since watching the Smash Brothers documentary.

Well the documentary is a little dated at the point but I don't see why you couldn't main Marth to start with.

My first main was Marth when I was a casual but when I started competitively I mained peach. Peach is really good vs newbs in the competitive scene. Once you start playing experienced players you'll have to use more advanced techniques in her arsenal to compete.

Technically I am still a Peach main but I don't go to tournaments anymore. I'll be going to Shine in August but mostly for spectating. I've been messing around with Falco and Falcon and having a lot of fun. Playing fast fallers makes melee a totally new game. It's not that Peach wasn't fun but the fast fallers make the game more fast paced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I started with Falco. If there's anything that starting out playing a space animal teaches you, it teaches you how to combo DI, since bad DI will inevitably lead to death. Falco can also help you learn how to control space with lasers, shield pressure with Shine-Short hop aerials, how to stuff approaches with your myriad of good hitboxes and your lasers, how to properly approach and play out neutral games and how to properly combo out of your startups. (Shine, Dair, Up-throw) He has all the tools to help teach a newer player how to get better at converting hits into stocks. He's just extremely unforgiving when you fuck up because of fast-falling (gets combo'd like crazy by everyone) and his awful recovery. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Will PPMD or Leffen ever come back to the scene full time?

Leffen for sure once his visa situation is solved

PPMD if history tells us anything I believe he'll be in limbo till he retires

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sheik, Marth and Falcon are all solid starting choices to learn fundamentals. Sheik is all around solid. Easiest top tier to play and not overly technical. The main con to learning Sheik is that you won't learn how to dash dance effectively. Marth is a bit more technical, but teaches you how to space properly. Falcon is mostly a fundamental based character; however he is more technical and requires you to work harder than your opponent to land hits (against top tiers). Honestly, I'd recommend trying out viable characters and pick the one that feels the most comfortable. Even if it's Fox

every1 on reddit is sleeping on m2k. Guy has beat sensei and fireblaster. Though he still is unlikely to get top 32 cause of how stacked it is, but there's a good chance

I could see it. Apparently he has played a bit of 64 recently so he might be somewhat practiced. If he gets a solid bracket, I think he can make top 32. His Kirby has to be annoying to play

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm late but play Luigi because he's dope and he does dope shit

Haven't logged in here in a while, Overwatch has been taking up all my time. Haven't touched 64 in like 6 months now. I think I'm done competing, keyboard is just too much of a hassle. Starting from scratch on controller is just exhausting to think about... maybe if Nintendo releases a mini N64 somewhere down the line like they just did with the NES. Anyways, I've still been watching, 64 at SSC is gonna be so legit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So Anti 6-1'd LowTierGod in friendlies in SFV and it looks like LTG finally snapped

The perfect:

LTG snapping:

CpVOjLhWYAAzyxf.jpg 

CpVSKzwUEAAHlTg.jpg