Sign in to follow this  
FLuFFy

Steam Machine

Steam Machine Will Compete with Xbox One and PlayStation 4  

valve-steam-machine-controller-gaming-pc

The Steam Machine being developed by Valve software will be a very unique contender entering into the console wars.  Although it will not be fully revealed until CES in this coming January, it will definitely be the kind of console that has often been promised by developers but has not actually seen a shelf release in the public forum.  The way that the program Steam delivers content right now is through streaming based services on various interfaces, and what the Steam Machine will do is stream this content at 1080p and sixty frames per second.  Due to Steam’s extensive catalog and game delivery method, this will make it a very different type of console contender for Microsoft and Sony to deal with.

Valve Software carries tremendous respect with their name in the video game world.  This all began with a game called Half-Life.  Before Half-Life, the first person shooting genre was strictly focused around gameplay itself.  Developers would toss in a storyline about demons or an alien invasion, craft cool and destructive weapons, and let the mayhem and frenzied shooting take over from there.  Half-Life broke away from this trend by taking players on a journey where the decisions made by characters within the game, and their actions, made an actual impact on the in-game world.  Players felt an attachment to the protagonist unlike ever before, and the computer gaming world began to take serious notice of Valve Software.

A trend harkening back to the days of Doom on a large scale, and even in smaller circles beforehand was modifying first person shooting games with custom programming that was distributed freely for other players to enjoy.  The most famous modification of Half-Life, and possibly of any first person shooter in history, was entitled Counterstrike.  Along with another modification going by the name of Team Fortress, Half-Life dominated the world of first person shooters all the way up until the release of Halo on the Xbox and still carries with it a significant following to this day, especially Counterstrike.

This vaulted Valve Software into the limelight and created a prime environment for them to release Half-Life 2 into.  Half-Life 2 is widely considered to be one of the greatest video games of all time, making the top ten lists of various publications around the globe.  The character and plot development was a leap forward for the gaming world, and it catapulted Valve Software into legendary status as a developer.  Shortly after Valve developed a game called Portal, which helped launch the Steam video game on demand downloading and streaming service and propel Valve into a position to be releasing the Steam machine.

Of the many innovations surrounding the hardware of the Steam machine, the controller stands out as something truly unique.  It has the appearance of two flat disc dials that are said to be an adequate replacement for the mouse and keyboard, which is a controller configuration that many diehard computer gamers claim that they will never part with.  Only time will tell how successful a console can perform from a company nowhere near the size of a Sony or a Microsoft, but with a proven track record for excellence, Valve certainly has a fighting chance with the Steam Machine.

Editorial by Michael Blain

Twitter: @michaelblain

source: http://guardianlv.com/2013/11/steam-machine-will-compete-with-xbox-one-and-playstation-4/

The controller is the most interesting part to me, would console gamers used to analog sticks prefer a controller like that over what they have now?

Steam does have a very impressive catalog of games though, I dont think it will keep pace sale wise with PS4 or XB1 but I could be wrong.

For some reason I'm not sure I care. I can play a lot of those games on my current consoles and I'm not if ill like the controller.

I will say this though. That I am a fan of Valve and a lot of what they do is try to improve the gaming industry so I'm not gonna trash it or anything, just have to wait and see how this thing turns out. I just wanna know why someone like me who has a console that can play Half-life 2 and portal would want a Steam Machine?

For some reason I'm not sure I care. I can play a lot of those games on my current consoles and I'm not if ill like the controller.

I will say this though. That I am a fan of Valve and a lot of what they do is try to improve the gaming industry so I'm not gonna trash it or anything, just have to wait and see how this thing turns out. I just wanna know why someone like me who has a console that can play Half-life 2 and portal would want a Steam Machine?

I want to see the details of the system too. I don't think Valve would go through the hassle of creating a copy of the Xbox One and PS4. What if it is a PC-Console hybrid that could update itself or have replaceable parts to make the system stronger? I would buy that. Really curious to see what Valve has up their sleeves.

I want to see the details of the system too. I don't think Valve would go through the hassle of creating a copy of the Xbox One and PS4. What if it is a PC-Console hybrid that could update itself or have replaceable parts to make the system stronger? I would buy that. Really curious to see what Valve has up their sleeves.

If it's just another PC, but limited I don't want it. I'll just a PC. So if I have to upgrade it to play games then I want no part of it lol

If it's just another PC, but limited I don't want it. I'll just a PC. So if I have to upgrade it to play games then I want no part of it lol

But what if it is cheaper than an Xbox One? Has different settings so you don't have to upgrade to play a game? Valve is pretty damn smart and I'm sure their console will have something different and innovative. Really depends on what the innovation is though.

But what if it is cheaper than an Xbox One? Has different settings so you don't have to upgrade to play a game? Valve is pretty damn smart and I'm sure their console will have something different and innovative. Really depends on what the innovation is though.

Well I plan on getting a ps4 so it'd have to be cheaper than that. I mean if it's more expensive, but an impressive piece of hardware and has exclusive games that I want I'm down. But if it's something that I need to spend $100 on every year to upgrade I ain't down. The beauty of consoles is that the developers make the games for that hardware so that's why you see something like The Last of Us look so good. PS3 hardware is old as fuck, but yet it looks that good. I don't if the same could be said on a PC with that kind of hardware can it?

I'm sure Valve has something up their sleeves, but will compete with Xbox One and Ps4 or will this be something that's made for PC gamers?

Controller looks like trash.  Look at that terrible button layout.  The whole sliding your thumbs on a pad doesn't seem awesome.  I think it's funny how everyone likes Steam now.  When it first came out everyone hated it.

Well I plan on getting a ps4 so it'd have to be cheaper than that. I mean if it's more expensive, but an impressive piece of hardware and has exclusive games that I want I'm down. But if it's something that I need to spend $100 on every year to upgrade I ain't down. The beauty of consoles is that the developers make the games for that hardware so that's why you see something like The Last of Us look so good. PS3 hardware is old as fuck, but yet it looks that good. I don't if the same could be said on a PC with that kind of hardware can it?

I'm sure Valve has something up their sleeves, but will compete with Xbox One and Ps4 or will this be something that's made for PC gamers?

I completely agree with all of that and really curious to see what the steam box actually is. It is either going to be a big hit or a huge flop. 

Controller looks like trash. Look at that terrible button layout. The whole sliding your thumbs on a pad doesn't seem awesome. I think it's funny how everyone likes Steam now. When it first came out everyone hated it.

I still think it looks dumb, but I haven't tried it yet so I don't how well it works.

Valve is just an awesome gaming company and Steam is the XBL of PC gaming, but better in pretty much every way.

I still think it looks dumb, but I haven't tried it yet so I don't how well it works.

Valve is just an awesome gaming company and Steam is the XBL of PC gaming, but better in pretty much every way.

Steam is probably the biggest thing they'll have going for them in order to bring over console gamers. Steams sales are crazy good sometimes and if you can score a few good games for cheap on Steam i'm sure people will make the switch just to try out the games and what not. If XBL or PSN does some kind of steam sale type deals (which I hope they do due to competition) than they will have less of a niche to occupy.

Steam is probably the biggest thing they'll have going for them in order to bring over console gamers. Steams sales are crazy good sometimes and if you can score a few good games for cheap on Steam i'm sure people will make the switch just to try out the games and what not. If XBL or PSN does some kind of steam sale type deals (which I hope they do due to competition) than they will have less of a niche to occupy.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, is about the Steam sales is what's gonna get a console gamer to go there, but I'm still not sure. I mean after all Sony has PS+ and people still don't seem to care.

PSN already sorta has that. Nothing like Steam where a game is like 3 bucks, but I remember during the holidays, because I had PS+ I bought Borderlands and all the DLC for like 14.99 and it's 40 bucks brand new at the store. Plus don't forget the free PS+ games that come with it. Sonys getting there.

It's one if the reasons why I'm so content on getting a ps4. Steam sales are great, but I think it needs something more.

Game prices on XBL are ridiculous.  I would buy a lot more games if they had sales but they don't.  There's been many times where buying a game at Gamestop or Walmart was cheaper than on XBL which is weird because via XBL there is no physical product so it should be cheaper.

• Upvote (+1) 2