Sign in to follow this  
a Chunk

Crest

Crest

3_zps67854b22.jpg

Weapons

• Sniper x2 (60 Seconds - 0 Spare Clips - Delayed Spawn)
  • Shotgun x2 (90 Seconds - 0 Spare Clips)
  • Overshield (2 Minutes)
  • DMR/BR/Carbine/Light Rifle x2
  • Assault Rifle x2
  • Plasma/Pulse Grenades x2
  • Frag Grenades x4

This is the first playable version of the map. The main point of concern right now is the player count. The weapons are setup for 4v4, but I'm not sure the map can provide safe spawning for that many players. If it can't, the weapon set will probably need to be altered to fit fewer players.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Walkthrough Video

1_zps97c6cd65.jpg

4_zps0bfb0232.jpg

2_zps75da914f.jpg

5_zpsbbf16e1f.jpg

3_zpsc29d7a2f.jpg

Crest2_zps7f7cc0cd.jpg

1_zps861a63a9.jpg

Download Crest

• Upvote (+1) 6

Nice design, I especially like the brace and platform y bridges, they are very unique. It is always a task to design a map of this style while bringing new elements to the table and I think you have pulled it off really well and gave it that Warlock/Derelict vibe at the same time.

Another really solid design from you bud, hope you keep improving upon it like you mentioned with raising some of the height elevation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nice design, I especially like the brace and platform y bridges, they are very unique. It is always a task to design a map of this style while bringing new elements to the table and I think you have pulled it off really well and gave it that Warlock/Derelict vibe at the same time.

Another really solid design from you bud, hope you keep improving upon it like you mentioned with raising some of the height elevation.

I actually have an updated version done and in my fileshare already with some height variation added to the main level, along with a few other minor structural and aesthetic changes.  I just haven't had the chance to update the thread yet.  I may get to it before I go to sleep.

Edit:  Map Updated

• Added height variation to the main level
  • Implemented various other minor structural and aesthetic changes.

Crest2_zps7f7cc0cd.jpg

Crest1_zps2998792e.jpg

Download Crest

• Upvote (+1) 3

The pictures really don't do this map justice, just watched the updated video and I have to say Chunk you have made some serious sexy time with this map.  I've spent so much time in FI I almost forgot how sexy that cream on black can look.  ;)

I'm a big fan of your bridge/platform usage, you and a couple other forgers I know use them and they always look so damn good as walkways... one day I will steal your secrets... one day.  Until then, I <3 your columns.

Do you use grid paper?

The pictures really don't do this map justice, just watched the updated video and I have to say Chunk you have made some serious sexy time with this map.  I've spent so much time in FI I almost forgot how sexy that cream on black can look.  ;)

I'm a big fan of your bridge/platform usage, you and a couple other forgers I know use them and they always look so damn good as walkways... one day I will steal your secrets... one day.  Until then, I <3 your columns.

Do you use grid paper?

Thanks fro.  :)

I love the color contrast potential on Ravine and Impact.  They are by far my two favorite canvases because of it.

No grid paper.  I started drawing a sketch of it, but then decided it wasn't necessary since I had a very clear image in my mind already, and the design was simple/straightforward.  It was a relatively quick and painless build.

Ok, so I ran around on this map, two things have come up:

1)

8_zpsc7a280cd.jpg

Seriously long LoS. I also noticed some bad frame-rate from the abundance of objects in the player's field of vision.

All in all, it is not worth the effort to feature the sniper (not to say a Sniper would fail on this map) unless you re-shape the map to better accommodate it.

2) I may be in the minority here, but I think there are WAY too many extraction cylinders here. The map has chicken pox.

The map doesn't look like it'll play too bad though. It seems to have nice flow and I like the object use on the map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok, so I ran around on this map, two things have come up:

1)

8_zpsc7a280cd.jpg

Seriously long LoS. I also noticed some bad frame-rate from the abundance of objects in the player's field of vision.

All in all, it is not worth the effort to feature the sniper (not to say a Sniper would fail on this map) unless you re-shape the map to better accommodate it.

2) I may be in the minority here, but I think there are WAY too many extraction cylinders here. The map has chicken pox.

The map doesn't look like it'll play too bad though. It seems to have nice flow and I like the object use on the map.

Thanks for the feedback.  Those are all good points.

- Not sure what to do about the los across the bottom.  The ones on the top level are even longer if you consider how unlikely it is for the Sniper to Sniper los to actually be used.  I did originally have bottom mid designed to break up that los, but it messed with other stuff so I scrapped it.  I'll see if I can come up with something.

- I actually prefer to have Sniper Rifles on maps that are not ideal for sniping since it makes them more difficult to use, but I agree that it may not be the best fit for this map.  Any suggestions for replacing them?

- I personally prefer the abundance of Extraction Cylinders over coloring all of the objects, but you may be right...I could probably remove a few.

Thanks for the feedback.  Those are all good points.

- Not sure what to do about the los across the bottom.  The ones on the top level are even longer if you consider how unlikely it is for the Sniper to Sniper los to actually be used.  I did originally have bottom mid designed to break up that los, but it messed with other stuff so I scrapped it.  I'll see if I can come up with something.

- I actually prefer to have Sniper Rifles on maps that are not ideal for sniping since it makes them more difficult to use, but I agree that it may not be the best fit for this map.  Any suggestions for replacing them?

- I personally prefer the abundance of Extraction Cylinders over coloring all of the objects, but you may be right...I could probably remove a few.

-The snipers themselves don't bother me. I agree to what you said about including the sniper.

- I am also unsure about what you can do about the LoS. They probably aren't game-breaking, but certainly the issue that stands out for me. I would try addressing it if you decide to reforge it.

*If it doesn't mess too much with the flow, you could try turning the "mohawks" in sniper into ladders that lead to the top level; some way, some how. Ideally, it would break LoS from wall to wall, and instead create the LoS from below the bridge pieces in front of those. I could attempt this in forge if you like, and show you what I mean.

- I like extraction cylinders as well, because coloring all the objects makes for unnecessary strips of color that gives it a feeling of being "unclean" (I was presented this problem after remaking Angst). However, I am getting that same vibe by looking at all the EXT cylinders on this map.

*Ordinarily, these don't look good unless they form together as the shape of a letter "M."

• Upvote (+1) 1

*If it doesn't mess too much with the flow, you could try turning the "mohawks" in sniper into ladders that lead to the top level; some way, some how. Ideally, it would break LoS from wall to wall, and instead create the LoS from below the bridge pieces in front of those. I could attempt this in forge if you like, and show you what I mean.

- I like extraction cylinders as well, because coloring all the objects makes for unnecessary strips of color that gives it a feeling of being "unclean" (I was presented this problem after remaking Angst). However, I am getting that same vibe by looking at all the EXT cylinders on this map.

*Ordinarily, these don't look good unless they form together as the shape of a letter "M."

I have an idea of what you mean, and I did give some thought to creating a connection to the upper level from those rooms.  I ultimately decided against it for two reasons - partially because I couldn't come up with a way to do it that I liked, but mostly because I wanted to somewhat limit the number of connections to the upper level.  I would really like to see what you have in mind though.

Point taken regarding the Extraction Cylinders.  I'll just make them all into M's.  :P

I had a more annoying time browsing Waypoint for screenshots than figuring out what I could do for your map.

Anyways, I made some major changes if you would like to see. I didn't upload a variant, but I took some pictures of what I did:

ugcuserfile-30f0d7be-0c3e-4543-ab69-5ca5

- Removed some cover that was previously on the top, and did as I wanted which was to add some structure in the middle for blocking the long LoS.

Also, I tried creating a route to the 2nd level. Every option I tried was a no-go.

ugcuserfile-3079f470-4dc2-476a-a405-8b83

- Where you had the two thin pillars, I switched that with a little 1x1 block. It's intent was to provide some cover on the lower floor while keeping the LoS open above that. Also, it patches the area where those 4 floor pieces meet, quite nicely.

ugcuserfile-175c7176-6601-4a74-8d2f-53e7

- A glimpse of that "End to end LoS" looks like now.

I also removed some EXT cylinders :P . This may be me nerding up, but I think alot about those little aesthetic things.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to removing / switching cover in those couple areas, I did that to expose the players a little more and hopefully make this map play more fluid. However, the map now has that "incomplete" look and I fear bad spawns in green/orange.

Speaking of Green, orange................redbluepurpleyellow, I noticed that the map has a ton of colors that I think will ache the brain when it comes to orientation/callouts, especially if this plays Capture the flag. My recommendation is that you turn yellow into full Red, and Purple into full Blue, which green and orange would also remain. This is my opinion though, my opinion that it would put less stress on map knowledge (provided callouts among red/blue are sufficient)

This is what I mean:

2_zpsde7331f3.jpg

Callouts may get confusing when opponents are on the yellow-red divide or the blue-purple divide (and those catwalks are very significant). I just feel it would do more good than harm to make the entire side red (thus, coloring that 2nd walkway large red as well). Then orange/green can serve as divides between red and blue.

The catwalks on the top could then be labeled Red, Blue, Orange, and Green. As for those 1x1 blocks, they could be called orange and green box. Two terms we have heard before :)

Let me know if you would like me to upload the variant. It would take re-adjusting of spawns/weapons if you were to test it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Let me know if you would like me to upload the variant. It would take re-adjusting of spawns/weapons if you were to test it.

That would be excellent if you could upload it.  You don't even need to do anything with the weapons and spawns unless you really want to.  I mostly just want to get a first hand look at it.  I have to admit that I'm still not sure that long los is problematic since it's already really easy to pass through orange/green unseen.  Regardless of that, the changes look interesting, and I'm sure the map would play quite well with them.  I'll definitely give them some serious consideration.  I know exactly what you mean about the colors too - I was pretty iffy on them myself.  Your suggestion makes a lot of sense.

The LoS doesn't look that bad for gameplay, but it's something that would annoy me on my map (just looking at it), and it can potentially cause frame-rate lag.

I can upload my variant tomorrow morning.

Edit: It is up now!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Edit: It is up now!

I'll check it out soon.  Thanks for the help.

Edit: Sweet changes!  I was somewhat hesitant to close off the front of green/orange, and was very hesitant to open those areas up on the upper level.  After doing a walkthrough, I'm digging all of your changes though.  Once I get time to make the changes to the color coding and tweak the spawns, I'll probably put out a new update with all of your edits and see how they work out.

First post will be updated with new pics:

• Closed off the front of what was previously Green and Orange.
  • Widened the side doorways into those same areas.
  • Removed the walls that closed off the top level of what was previously Green and Orange
  • Replaced pillars under platforms
  • Consolidated Colors (Now only has Red/Blue/Green/Gold)
  • Minor adjustments to spawns and weapons

Thanks to Korlash for the feedback and assisting with this update.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like this map needs to be elongated a little bit. I have yet to figure out why I feel this way  but something about it makes me want to increase its length from sniper to sniper.

Aesthetics wise, I can't pick out a single flaw with this map. The use of coloured pillars is great, and your overall pallet choice is brilliant!

I can't judge gameplay since I haven't actually played Halo 4 for a long while but it definitely looks smooth and gives off a Halo 2/3 feel

I feel like this map needs to be elongated a little bit. I have yet to figure out why I feel this way  but something about it makes me want to increase its length from sniper to sniper.

I can figure it out.

The map's not small, you're just huge.

I can figure it out.

The map's not small, you're just huge.

It is not that I think the map is small. It is more or less The two sides that don't have the snipes don't have much depth.

It is not that I think the map is small. It is more or less The two sides that don't have the snipes don't have much depth.

That makes cents.

I just think if the map becomes any larger in scale, the map will play too slow, especially if we are talking about widening the wider part.

The non-snipe sides are purposely lacking in depth.  They are designed to create choke points which force players towards the middle of the map.

Whether or not it works in action the way that I intended it to in theory, I don't yet know for sure.  If it doesn't work, then I'll make some adjustments.  I don't think I'm to that point yet though.

This map is sooo crazy. I really like the creative piece usage.

Nice job on the map :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

The non-snipe sides are purposely lacking in depth.  They are designed to create choke points which force players towards the middle of the map.

Whether or not it works in action the way that I intended it to in theory, I don't yet know for sure.  If it doesn't work, then I'll make some adjustments.  I don't think I'm to that point yet though.

Late post. I understand why you did it I just though if elongated it might relieve some possible issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Late post. I understand why you did it I just though if elongated it might relieve some possible issues.

Don't let fro see that sig, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1