Sign in to follow this  
Jumprs

Halo 3 1v1 Gameplay #2: Jumprs (w/ insane spawn killing)

Shit is Crazy, I know from experience. At least I didn't get spawn trapped that bad. :Gandhi:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I never could comprehend how 1v1s on maps like these could be considered legit when this happens. I always thought your punishment for dying in Halo was, well, death. Losing your position and weapons. Not dying over and over. 

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

your gameplays are some of the most entertaining and nasty 1v1s ive seen. Keep em coming bro I dont sub to halo channels in general but ill shoot you one. ggs.

I never could comprehend how 1v1s on maps like these could be considered legit when this happens. I always thought your punishment for dying in Halo was, well, death. Losing your position and weapons. Not dying over and over. 

But knowing the spawn system creates a skill gap. Knowledgeable players and players who take the time and experience to know where a player will spawn based on your own position and where you last killed the other player is good for the game.

That's the difference between a good 1v1 player and a great 1v1 player. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

But knowing the spawn system creates a skill gap. Knowledgeable players and players who take the time and experience to know where a player will spawn based on your own position and where you last killed the other player is good for the game.

There are very few things in classic Halo that can be considered unfair. Being sniped without being able to move one inch is one of those things. If a player is spawn sniping, they are demonstrating good memory of spawn, but they are objectively not demonstrating good skill. You can't really be doing acts of skillful play whilst spawn sniping like in the video. It's memory alone knowing where to place that crosshair. 

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I agree that that is important knowledge for any player count.  However, knowing your opponents spawn location, and being able to kill them before they can move are two entirely different things.  The best maps will give you and advantage over your opponent if you have a good understanding of the spawn system, while also giving them a fighting chance.

Of course, the skill it takes to spawn kill consistently is impressive, and fun to watch occasionally.  It's just not ideal on a competitive level.

There are very few things in classic Halo that can be considered unfair. Being sniped without being able to move one inch is one of those things. If a player is spawn sniping, they are demonstrating good memory of spawn, but they are objectively not demonstrating good skill. You can't really be doing acts of skillful play whilst spawn sniping like in the video. It's memory alone knowing where to place that crosshair. 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, I personally think it's a skill that takes time to learn and anything that promotes more of a skill gap is good for the game. 

Having said that, I personally don't believe Guardian to be the best 1v1 map, it's a good 2's and 4's map, but the spawns are quite open on that map. 

I agree that that is important knowledge for any player count.  However, knowing your opponents spawn location, and being able to kill them before they can move are two entirely different things.  The best maps will give you and advantage over your opponent if you have a good understanding of the spawn system, while also giving them a fighting chance.

Of course, the skill it takes to spawn kill consistently is impressive, and fun to watch occasionally.  It's just not ideal on a competitive level.

So, you're allowed to force certain spawns in your favour which you think is skilful, but not taking advantage of that with the Sniper that you earned for being the better player isn't? What else are you meant to do, not snipe him in the head? The objective is to kill the other player more times than he kills you, I don't understand why you wouldn't capitalise on that advantage? 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, I personally think it's a skill that takes time to learn and anything that promotes more of a skill gap is good for the game. 

Having said that, I personally don't believe Guardian to be the best 1v1 map, it's a good 2's and 4's map, but the spawns are quite open on that map. 

So, you're allowed to force certain spawns in your favour which you think is skilful, but not taking advantage of that with the Sniper that you earned for being the better player isn't? What else are you meant to do, not snipe him in the head? The objective is to kill the other player more times than he kills you, I don't understand why you wouldn't capitalise on that advantage? 

It isn't the player's fault though. It's the map. A map that prevents such blatant cheap plays is needed for 1v1s. MLG Sanc in Reach and Guardian have terrible spawns. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It isn't the player's fault though. It's the map. A map that prevents such blatant cheap plays is needed for 1v1s. MLG Sanc in Reach and Guardian have terrible spawns. 

Yeah, I agree with you on Guardian, still, it's an impressive feat to know spawns inside and out and the exact moment that they spawn. 

Yeah, I agree with you on Guardian, still, it's an impressive feat to know spawns inside and out and the exact moment that they spawn. 

The video shows he's a smart and knowledgable player, and indeed his knowledge helps create a skill gap between him and the person he is facing, but I don't consider it much of an actual skill. As you said, guardian especially sucks for 1v1s, but I've even seen those spawn traps at tournaments before.

As we know, the spawn system isn't as complicated as Halo CE's (or simple) but I still wouldn't equate knowing random spawns in Halo CE to being a skilled attribute. It's true that the system adds depth to the skill gap, and that the knowledge helps bring you power, but I just don't see how spawn trapping takes anymore skill than knowing where weapons spawn on the map.

The video shows he's a smart and knowledgable player, and indeed his knowledge helps create a skill gap between him and the person he is facing, but I don't consider it much of an actual skill. As you said, guardian especially sucks for 1v1s, but I've even seen those spawn traps at tournaments before.

As we know, the spawn system isn't as complicated as Halo CE's (or simple) but I still wouldn't equate knowing random spawns in Halo CE to being a skilled attribute. It's true that the system adds depth to the skill gap, and that the knowledge helps bring you power, but I just don't see how spawn trapping takes anymore skill than knowing where weapons spawn on the map.

Because not every time does the player doing the spawn trapping get it 100% right, sometimes they don't predict it correctly. Weapons spawn on the map at the same place on a set timer. Big difference. 

Because not every time does the player doing the spawn trapping get it 100% right, sometimes they don't predict it correctly. Weapons spawn on the map at the same place on a set timer. Big difference. 

Yeah but there's essentially 3-5 safe spawns that they will spawn on in guardian that you can pick off easily. There's obviously a difference in the comparison, but like you said the player cannot predict it 100% of the time. If the player does not guess correctly can we assume that he is not as skilled as someone who predicts correctly a higher percentage of the time? I'd say no because the games spawn system has variables that we can control, and those we can't control.

The reason I compared spawns to weapons is because they're both important static locations players need to know in order to succeed within the game. I'd argue that general knowledge of the weapon placement could be more of an advantage than knowledge of the spawn system to the average player. Knowing where these locations on the map makes you a smart and knowledgable player, but you can't equate much skill to those factors besides awareness.

It may be very confusing where I stand on this. I do believe the spawn trapping can be exploited better by some than others. I do think Jumpers has a better understanding than most. I think theres a skill gap when it comes to the level of knowledge and how well you can exploit it. I also think that skill can be summed up in various ways. I usually equate "raw skill" to the basic essentials of shooters such as quick reaction times, steady and accurate aim, and your ability to process information quickly or overall awareness. 

If it helps add clarification, I don't equate those lucky spawn sticks in Halo 2 Lockout 1v1's as skill either. You're essentially playing a lottery with the spawn points and happened to get lucky. I believe there were more spawn options in Halo 2 as well on lockout.

Yeah but there's essentially 3-5 safe spawns that they will spawn on in guardian that you can pick off easily. There's obviously a difference in the comparison, but like you said the player cannot predict it 100% of the time. If the player does not guess correctly can we assume that he is not as skilled as someone who predicts correctly a higher percentage of the time? I'd say no because the games spawn system has variables that we can control, and those we can't control.

The reason I compared spawns to weapons is because they're both important static locations players need to know in order to succeed within the game. I'd argue that general knowledge of the weapon placement could be more of an advantage than knowledge of the spawn system to the average player. Knowing where these locations on the map makes you a smart and knowledgable player, but you can't equate much skill to those factors besides awareness.

It may be very confusing where I stand on this. I do believe the spawn trapping can be exploited better by some than others. I do think Jumpers has a better understanding than most. I think theres a skill gap when it comes to the level of knowledge and how well you can exploit it. I also think that skill can be summed up in various ways. I usually equate "raw skill" to the basic essentials of shooters such as quick reaction times, steady and accurate aim, and your ability to process information quickly or overall awareness. 

If it helps add clarification, I don't equate those lucky spawn sticks in Halo 2 Lockout 1v1's as skill either. You're essentially playing a lottery with the spawn points and happened to get lucky. I believe there were more spawn options in Halo 2 as well on lockout.

Yeah, I can get that it isn't a major skill predicting spawns, especially when it's not fully consistent, I guess this all comes down to the fact Guardian really isn't a great 1v1 map. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, I can get that it isn't a major skill predicting spawns, especially when it's not fully consistent, I guess this all comes down to the fact Guardian really isn't a great 1v1 map. 

That is something I think we can all agree on. It's weird because it seems to be the go to map for them too. I've always enjoyed 1v1s there but I understand why it's not ideal.

What would the best 1v1 map be on Halo 3? Disc or forge idc..

That is something I think we can all agree on. It's weird because it seems to be the go to map for them too. I've always enjoyed 1v1s there but I understand why it's not ideal.

I'm not really sure tbh, I was never a big fan of 1v1s so I hardly played them. Midship would play alright I guess. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I think midship works just because of it's symmetrical features and balance. I never played 1v1 citadels though, or cold storage. When Gandhi said they might do FFA's and then do 1v1's after I thought that was sorta counter productive just because of how boring 1v1s can be. If it's 8 of the best though I guess that makes it redundant.

I think midship works just because of it's symmetrical features and balance. I never played 1v1 citadels though, or cold storage. When Gandhi said they might do FFA's and then do 1v1's after I thought that was sorta counter productive just because of how boring 1v1s can be. If it's 8 of the best though I guess that makes it redundant.

Well, I wouldn't mind H3 1v1's, I'd definitely take them over Reach/H4, that's for sure. Sniping in Reach is pretty easy with the hitboxes etc and H4 Sniping is a complete joke, so when you get control of one, it's basically game over. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well if you want a map that isn't easy to spawn trap on it couldn't be Guardian, Pit, Narrows, or Amplified. So I guess that leaves Heretic or Construct.

Well if you want a map that isn't easy to spawn trap on it couldn't be Guardian, Pit, Narrows, or Amplified. So I guess that leaves Heretic or Construct.

Construct feels far too big for a 1v1, too many routes and places to hide/get away from your opponent if you have the lead. I can imagine it now, camping down bottom somewhere, ring around the rosy with the lifts etc. 

Construct feels far too big for a 1v1, too many routes and places to hide/get away from your opponent if you have the lead. I can imagine it now, camping down bottom somewhere, ring around the rosy with the lifts etc.

Oh yea it happens a lot.

watched it... then re-watched it... Jesus?

me> How you doing that?

jumpr> Doing what?

me> walking on water.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you have any idea how much spawn-knowledge, skill, reflexes, experience goes into what he did in this video? Let me put it this way: Even if you tried for weeks, probably months you wouldnt be able to pull this off. And by the way, the jumps he does in this game tell you how good he is. I practiced the S1 S2 jump for 1-2 hours and still cant pull it off. Similar with the bottom mid to camo lift jump. They are very, very difficult (i.e. take a ton of experience and repetition).

THEREFOR: ANYONE who CAN do this should be able to and rewarded by the game. People like you are the reason Reach and H4

feature spawn-blocking line of sight, one of the worst and anti-competitive spawn features there could be.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1