Sign in to follow this  
Joseph

Smash Brothers Documentary Discussion

Samox, the creator / director of the documentary, spoke about the funding, effort, time put into the project on Live On Three a week after the documentary came out. Here's the link, and the talk starts at 1:03:40. For those too lazy to watch, here's the synopsis:

• He raised $8,000, which was his perceived absolutely minimum to do the project. His initial estimation of how much he needed to do a decent job was $12,000-$14,000.
  • He got the remaining money by putting himself in debt (which he has yet to pay back in a significant capacity).
  • Currently $5,000 in debt.
  • To garner interest, support, and trust, he committed his own resources to make a prototype pilot episode.
  • Took two years from inception to finished product.
  • Worked full-time while working on the project. Eventually quit his job to focus on post-production.
  • He made video updates on a bi-weekly basis, 27 updates total.
  • Never set a deadline to prevent a mediocre / rushed product.

On a side note, if you enjoyed the documentary, I would highly recommend watching the entire first hour and a half of this.

Damn...that's incredible commitment. I don't even know what to say.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Samox, the creator / director of the documentary, spoke about the funding, effort, time put into the project on Live On Three a week after the documentary came out. Here's the link, and the talk starts at 1:03:40. For those too lazy to watch, here's the synopsis:

• He raised $8,000, which was his perceived absolutely minimum to do the project. His initial estimation of how much he needed to do a decent job was $12,000-$14,000.
  • He got the remaining money by putting himself in debt (which he has yet to pay back in a significant capacity).
  • To garner interest, support, and trust, he committed his own resources to make a prototype pilot episode.
  • Worked full-time while working on the project. Eventually quit his job to focus on post-production.

On a side note, if you enjoyed the documentary, I would highly recommend watching the entire first hour and a half of this.

Watching now. Very interesting. The biggest take away is that all gaming community's are just at the mercy of developers. 

In all honesty, something like this would take incredible personal development from whoever took charge of this, whether it would be Saucey or someone else both with time and probably some personal money. And even if someone was willing to do that it would take at least 8k raised in funding from a dying community and 2 years minimum to do a good job. And at that point Halo 5 is out so we have a whole other chapter to include whether its good or bad.

Don't get me wrong. I think a Halo documentary would be badass, but it seems silly to undertake a project of this magnitude for a game that hasn't COMPLETELY died yet. I mean we still have another game coming out in a year's time. Maybe you could focus it on the competitive Halo's (CE,2,3, and part of Reach) and end it there and be like RIP like Smash did. I mean theres going to be another Smash game but nobody is playing that competitively on the Wii U. You'd pretty much have to admit Halo is done forever competitively. And have the time and money. I hope it gets done, but I seriously doubt it

Yep aPK is right, the amount of commitment and passion to see through a project like this is insane. Even if you know what you're doing resources can be an endless drain, with $14k you wouldn't be able to do everything legitimately and match the quality expected without needing considerable commitment of time and effort from others without expense.

Na its no problem we can get this done before Halo 5... some people man smh. (yes I just said smh)

Thanks apK for getting the facts straight (where is your smiley face?????? ITS GONE)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm glad I finally got around to watching this. The documentary was really well done and almost made me feel like part of the Smash family. It reminds me a lot of Halo 1 and the early MLG days. Such a tight knit community, I'd take that back any day over what we have now. Where people actually played for the love of the game and not the paycheck at the end of the day.The nostalgia hit me so hard it hurts.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I do not mean to derail Samox's efforts one bit, however what he did does not necessarily equate to what we would do.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing him but I think we could do it more efficiently granted the Halo community has access to more resources when it comes to technology.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is the best series I have ever watched that pertains to some sort of history related to competitive gaming.

I've always loved Smash but it was just amazing. This couldn't have been done in a better way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

http://watch.stateofplaydoc.com/

This is another eSports documentary about StarCraft that I enjoyed and highly recommend watching it (though you have to pay $9.99)

What it talks about is a life of a pro player, amatuer (Semi pro), and a wanna be and talks about the impact eSports has made in S.Korea and what's it like as well 

The documentary has also been nominated in film festivals as well 

Here is a trailer of it 

• Upvote (+1) 1

http://watch.stateofplaydoc.com/

This is another eSports documentary about StarCraft that I enjoyed and highly recommend watching it (though you have to pay $9.99)

What it talks about is a life of a pro player, amatuer (Semi pro), and a wanna be and talks about the impact eSports has made in S.Korea and what's it like as well

The documentary has also been nominated in film festivals as well

Here is a trailer of it

Wow this looks awesome def gonna check it out when I get some extra time

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just finished watching, awesome stuff.

I think if something like this were to happen for Halo it would have to be an even mix of focus between the credibility of each title/popularity, the teams, and individual players.

A lot can be said from Halo 1-3 in terms of credibility decline, but popularity increase - an oddity which would need to be explained/delved into

A lot can be said for the teams, especially Storm Ventures and their success story, how they kinda came out of nowhere and did very alternative things to secure victories. I distinctly remember them winning objective games while getting out-slain and frustrating/awe-striking a lot of people. Could include all major team names of course, but also some of the international teams and even WCGs.

Team Immunity from Australia flying over to MLG events and placing decently was amazing for me to see; my team would scrim them from time to time and we would do alright, but to see them go overseas and do that well against American teams at that time made me realize we never stood a chance and never would.

Team Immunity had a pretty awesome story behind them as well, there was a pretty big power struggle during the peak years of Halo 3 which was incredible to watch. Enough stuff happened around that time that Australia could even make their own doco as long as that Smash one if they wanted to.

A lot can be said about individual players as well, there are so many that have huge stories and unique things about them.

This thing could end up being absolutely massive. It would have to be pretty well thought-out to prevent it getting out of hand.

While it's interesting to us, the problem with focusing on the decline of the quality of the games is that it's just not that interesting to most people.

The way to develop that part of a story would be to show how it impacted individual players/teams.  The personality and passion of the people is what makes or breaks a documentary of this nature.  Everything should be addressed from that perspective.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Competitive Halo deserves a documentary more than almost any other game.

I agree although StarCraft was the kick starter to eSports

Halo was the innovator for eSports in the USA 

Hey guys,

I was told to drop by and say hi. I'm the guy that made The Smash Brothers.

I love the idea of a Halo documentary - another game I enjoy greatly.

If you have any questions about anything, I'll be back later to field them. 

Great job on the documentary!  It's right up there with The King of Kong as one of the best gaming documentaries ever made, imo.  As someone who never even played the game, I still found myself sucked into the story, and found both the people and the game compelling.  I've watched it all the way through twice already, and will probably watch it again in the future.  Kudos.

I don't know if anyone here is actually seriously considering doing something similar for Halo.  It's a great idea, but also a huge undertaking (as you obviously know).  Hopefully if anyone is seriously considering it, they will contact you privately and pick your brain.  Thanks for offering to help.

Edit:  Get in touch with Zola, who's apparently trying to put something together.  http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/3702-halo-retrospect-trailer-by-zola-a-halo-documentary/

Hey guys,

I was told to drop by and say hi. I'm the guy that made The Smash Brothers.

I love the idea of a Halo documentary - another game I enjoy greatly.

If you have any questions about anything, I'll be back later to field them. 

Glad I could get you here, Samox! (I'm Cowsaymeow from smashboards if that kills any confusion).  The Documentary was awesome (especially that ISAI vs Ken match) and I've watched it multiple times, it's a great series

Anyways, i have a few questions if you can answer them

1) What part of making the documentary took the longest process?

2) If you can answer this, what costed the most in making the documentary?

3) When it came to interviews outside of events, would you just go to the pro players house and interview them there?  If so, how did that process work since plane tickets can be a bit expensive

4) Is there really no footage of ISAI going insane in that one crew battle?  If so I'm a sad panda

Thank you again for posting here!  

• Upvote (+1) 1

There was a viewing party for this on Twitch a few weeks ago too.

The filmaker, some community leaders, and some of the pros covered in the documentary share stories about both the making of it, and additional background info that wasn't covered.  It's a good watch.

Part 1

Part 2

Watched it a few days ago. After I watched one, I couldn't stop, soooo addicting. I even found out M2K lives like 5 min from me. 

Great documentary, props to the dude who made it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

There was a viewing party for this on Twitch a few weeks ago too.

The filmaker, some community leaders, and some of the pros covered in the documentary share stories about both the making of it, and additional background info that wasn't covered.  It's a good watch.

Part 1

Part 2

The part 1 story of his almost mugging thing is pretty interesting haha

• Upvote (+1) 1

@ - Sorry for the delay.

1 - The longest was by far the shooting. Organizing, convincing and executing all the various interviews and covering tournaments was a long process.

2 - Probably travel. But if I tallied my rent and food while I toiled away from June through September doing nothing but editing, it actually might be that to be honest. 

3 - Smashers in general are a pretty hospitable bunch. I stayed with PC Chris, Ken and Chu Dat when I came to their respective houses. That helped some with cost. But yeah, no getting around the price of a plane ticket. :(

4 - Haha. Everyone wants to see that! Unfortunately, you'll just have to extrapolate how awesome he was from his other videos of complete dominating. BTW: Isai legit STYLES on fools in 64. Just one example:

• Upvote (+1) 8

2 - Probably travel. But if I tallied my rent and food while I toiled away from June through September doing nothing but editing, it actually might be that to be honest. 

Did you work on this entire thing by yourself?

@ - Sorry for the delay.

1 - The longest was by far the shooting. Organizing, convincing and executing all the various interviews and covering tournaments was a long process.

3 - Smashers in general are a pretty hospitable bunch. I stayed with PC Chris, Ken and Chu Dat when I came to their respective houses. That helped some with cost. But yeah, no getting around the price of a plane ticket. :(

4 - Haha. Everyone wants to see that! Unfortunately, you'll just have to extrapolate how awesome he was from his other videos of complete dominating. BTW: Isai legit STYLES on fools in 64. Just one example:

Not that the goal of the doc was to do anything specific besides an observation of the SSB world, ect. But what if anything did you want the doc to accomplish and what do you think it did accomplish?