Sign in to follow this  
Joseph

Smash Brothers Documentary Discussion

I read his issues with Kickstarter - I would still use a "middleman" service simply because it seems more legit and stable rather than "hey send money to my paypal"

Agreed. I would love to help with writing a script, planning, and pretty much anything. Would been fun to be a part of.

If we peaked at 4,000 viewers in AGL twitch, 2000 of them were there to just post kappa Halo is DaD and other mature responses. 

That was me  :kappa:

In all seriousness, if this is actually going to happen this needs to be an all out effort. I still firmly believe we should wait for Halo 5 to (hopefully) be a good game and then we finish it with us rising from the ashes. You need a theme of this documentary. The Smash bros. documentary did the history of Melee as told by the success of the top players. They did talk a little bit about the N64 game and Brawl, but it was 95% Melee. Are we going to talk about every game in depth here? I'd say we go in depth on Halo 1-3, most of that on 1 and 2 with a decent amount on 3, and then obviously the downfall (and hopefully the uprising). 

Many of the interviews in the Smash documentary took place at events. We don't have events right now. 

If you make a Kick-starter with amazing ideas and a formula of how hard you will work to get this done then it will be successful. Some mediocre effort is not going to cut it. The amount of work put into that Smash documentary left me stunned, and if we want to come close to that we need all hands on deck. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We really need to get a group together that has knowledge and experience from different eras. Look at how much I posted for Halo PRE MLG.. That's just the basics. I was too young at that point to be fully engaged with the history.

I think it's important that we gather players who aren't just top pro's, but others who have contributed a large part to behind the scenes aspects or have been involved in production. Getting Jeenyus to talk about his experience would be great as he's a face that was largely recognized in various eras of the game, both as a player, and as a video editor.

Hell you can talk about how after 12 years of the games release, people still fly/drive thousands of miles to compete at a week long Halo 1 lan in south florida right on the fucking beach. That says a lot about the dedication of the community.

I don't know how others would feel, but personally I would like to see a documentary featuring the rise and fall of competitive Halo. I wouldn't want to emphasize too much on how Reach/4 have progressively gotten worse from the competitive point of view, but just how we started from nothing and grew into something big before we fizzled out, and how this was the struggle of the Halo community, who is in fact still here and hoping for another chance to relive the pioneer era we once had.

I don't know how others would feel, but personally I would like to see a documentary featuring the rise and fall of competitive Halo. I wouldn't want to emphasize too much on how Reach/4 have progressively gotten worse from the competitive point of view, but just how we started from nothing and grew into something big before we fizzled out, and how this was the struggle of the Halo community, who is in fact still here and hoping for another chance to relive the pioneer era we once had.

Thank you for actually realizing this needs a theme. I like yours, but hear mine out

What I would want is to wait after Halo 5 is released to see if we can resurrect ourselves. A theme of coming from nothing, to the top of the pro gaming world, to nothing, back to relevancy. 

That was me  :kappa:

In all seriousness, if this is actually going to happen this needs to be an all out effort. I still firmly believe we should wait for Halo 5 to (hopefully) be a good game and then we finish it with us rising from the ashes. You need a theme of this documentary. The Smash bros. documentary did the history of Melee as told by the success of the top players. They did talk a little bit about the N64 game and Brawl, but it was 95% Melee. Are we going to talk about every game in depth here? I'd say we go in depth on Halo 1-3, most of that on 1 and 2 with a decent amount on 3, and then obviously the downfall (and hopefully the uprising). 

Many of the interviews in the Smash documentary took place at events. We don't have events right now. 

If you make a Kick-starter with amazing ideas and a formula of how hard you will work to get this done then it will be successful. Some mediocre effort is not going to cut it. The amount of work put into that Smash documentary left me stunned, and if we want to come close to that we need all hands on deck. 

I will from this point on will think all your posts are just ********. That is all.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Thank you for actually realizing this needs a theme. I like yours, but hear mine out

What I would want is to wait after Halo 5 is released to see if we can resurrect ourselves. A theme of coming from nothing, to the top of the pro gaming world, to nothing, back to relevancy. 

Holy shit! My theory is holding up.

• Downvote (-1) 1

If Halo 5 is bad then we won't have a chance to make this documentary. We have the opportunity to build hype and sustain the community until H5 with something like this.

If Halo 5 is bad then we won't have a chance to make this documentary.

You can make 98% of it, which realistically won't be done before Halo 5 is released anyways. But I like @@Teapot 's theme anyway if thats what most people want.

Holy shit! My theory is holding up.

Your ideas are way better! Just talk down to people until they come up with something better? brilliant work there violenc3.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Your ideas are way better! Just talk down to people until they come up with something better? brilliant work there violenc3.

Ironically I am the one who pitched the original idea to Saucy...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ironically I am the one who pitched the original idea to Saucy...

Yeah and let's hear your pitch... "That smash documentary was successful it would be cool to do it with Halo?"

What would you include in the documentary since this is your pitch. As of right now, it looks like I have contributed more ideas than you, so theres no point on hating on others who are contributing.

theres no point on hating on others who are contributing.

Anything that anyone says trying to give credit to 343i automatically gets hated on. Its this attitude that is going to kill us. I am not 343ayame, but people need to have some damn respect. Violenc3 and many others clearly don't.

It is have been regurgitated in this thread, so of course it is going to sound repetitive. I am all for bringing back the OG players. (Zyoz, Killer N, etc) You would want someone like Xena to bring some sex appeal to it. Possibly Sundance, Pucket etc. From that you would want the big names from each title. Ogre 2, Walshy, Ghandi/Karma, Snipedown, etc. I was the one who told Saucy that I thought skype interviews would be shit. Structurallyyou would do an episode or two for each game and combine reach/h4 into one. For the final episode mention Halo 5, LoL, and CoD. Possibly get some interviews from the pros of those games. 

I would copy and paste the entire facebook conversation, but I would have to edit a bunch of stuff out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

no one cares, Violence.  

Also, before this becomes an idea you need some type of good director for this.  

• Downvote (-1) 1

I saw this a little while ago. Its amazing how many storys and deeply woven events have happened across so many different competitive communities. Developers and corporations need to see that this is the sort of thing that can take a great game and just go into infinity in terms of popularity.

GOOD community, good competition, and good support could work miracles for Halo as well as other games.

-snip, the one explaining doc. idea, can't understand why people here don't like long posts =/ -

This would make a brilliant documentary, I never even heard about High speed halo! Madness. High Impact Halo deserves a spot if ever there was a documentary made, how many people have seen the tower to tower warthog jump in Halo CE, ten years in the making I believe, it's incredible. 

^^^^^^ Just shows how there was so many groups of players who played the game for so many different reasons. It's more than a great single player game, competitive multiplayer etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Really hoping a Halo documentary actually comes through - watching the melee one just makes me sad i wasn't part of those days

Anything that anyone says trying to give credit to 343i automatically gets hated on. Its this attitude that is going to kill us. I am not 343ayame, but people need to have some damn respect. Violenc3 and many others clearly don't.

We all get it dude, you wanna wait for halo 5 and trust in blind faith. Well let me explain why that won't work. No one will have motivation to donate to anything Halo related in a year and a half if H5 is shit. People will just be utterly done. 

What theme did smash have? It just followed the story of a game and the rise and fall of it's biggest players mixed with a small storyline about the different games that came out with SSB. There wasn't any more of an overarching theme and Halo can provide all of that.

Really funny how everything turns into some kind of argument or debate lol.  

Only in the Halo community  :maven:

Samox, the creator / director of the documentary, spoke about the funding, effort, time put into the project on Live On Three a week after the documentary came out. Here's the link, and the talk starts at 1:03:40. For those too lazy to watch, here's the synopsis:

• He raised $8,000, which was his perceived absolutely minimum to do the project. His initial estimation of how much he needed to do a decent job was $12,000-$14,000.
  • He got the remaining money by putting himself in debt (which he has yet to pay back in a significant capacity).
  • Currently $5,000 in debt.
  • To garner interest, support, and trust, he committed his own resources to make a prototype pilot episode.
  • Took two years from inception to finished product.
  • Worked full-time while working on the project. Eventually quit his job to focus on post-production.
  • He made video updates on a bi-weekly basis, 27 updates total.
  • Never set a deadline to prevent a mediocre / rushed product.

On a side note, if you enjoyed the documentary, I would highly recommend watching the entire first hour and a half of this.

• Upvote (+1) 5