Sign in to follow this  
Joseph

Smash Brothers Documentary Discussion

Smash and Halo are two completely different games in terms of creating a grass roots movement. As someone mentioned Smash is 1v1 or 2v2. It is very easy to grab a controller by yourself and go and compete. Getting 4 people together is extremely difficult, considering how immature people are, and are willing to jump ship to another team if the opportunity looks better.

Another factor that makes Smash grassroots efforts easier, is the cost associated with running a tournament. With smash all you need is a gamecube (~$20), and a tube tv for one station. For Halo you need 8 tvs (not tube) and 8 360s.

Could always put the spotlight back on 2v2 for smaller events. It's still more expensive, but nowhere near as severe as setting up 4v4 stations.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the difference is Melee is not designed to be an online game. You actually have to get together in person if you want to play. 

Sometimes I feel the bulk of our community would rather watch pro teams compete than compete themselves.

0aS7ULS.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's a great documentary.  The main thing I really took away from it is the amazing passion those guys have for their game.  It's something that a lot of Halo pro players seem to lack.  The Smash communities ability, for example, to raise an enormous amount of money for charity through various means is pretty awe inspiring.  They simply play and support the game because they love it. 

On the other hand, quite a few of the best players in Halo are willing to drop it entirely in favor of a different game.  I can't say I really blame them, but the difference between playing the game for money and playing for the love of the game is pretty apparent, and is a major reason why the competitive Halo community seems to fall apart when the tournament scene falls apart.  The closest thing we have to the smash community is the guys that still LAN CE religiously.  Unfortunately, I don't think it's feasible to build a grass roots effort around CE at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not gonna lie, this documentary made me really want to get into fighters. 

I went out an bought a gamecube for 20 bucks (I already had Melee and a memory card from a long time ago). I also got Tekken Tag Tournament 2, my friend DLed Dead or Alive 5 Core fighters, and I got a copy of one of the Naruto games (Forgot which one).

We have been playing the crap out of DOA 5 and the Naruto game this weekend. Today will be melee day and Tomorrow is Tekken day. 

Have fun.  Fighters are a different  beast and overall a very fast paced/entertaining genre for the most part imo

After sitting through 4 hours I thought it was cool.  Would totally go out and buy a Gamecube but I'd also have to buy a CRT to play it soooooooo nope.

I watched the entire thing yesterday and was blown away by the passion and dedication of the players and game that I frankly knew very little about. I do have a question, was that Shockwav3 calling some of those old melee events, it sounded just like him?

It was a superb documentary. The first part had me questioning it a bit with the corniness, but it got really good fast. I don't follow competitive smash but knew a few pros already like Mew2King so it was awesome seeing a couple of familiar face. Some great lines, too, like when that black commentator said 'Where the fuck did this pasty white kid learn how to play basketball?'

I watched the entire thing yesterday and was blown away by the passion and dedication of the players and game that I frankly knew very little about. I do have a question, was that Shockwav3 calling some of those old melee events, it sounded just like him?

Haha I noticed that too. I think I control F'ed the comments section for Shockwave to see if anyone noticed as well, but nothing came up.

It's a great documentary.  The main thing I really took away from it is the amazing passion those guys have for their game.  It's something that a lot of Halo pro players seem to lack.  The Smash communities ability, for example, to raise an enormous amount of money for charity through various means is pretty awe inspiring.  They simply play and support the game because they love it. 

On the other hand, quite a few of the best players in Halo are willing to drop it entirely in favor of a different game.  I can't say I really blame them, but the difference between playing the game for money and playing for the love of the game is pretty apparent, and is a major reason why the competitive Halo community seems to fall apart when the tournament scene falls apart.  The closest thing we have to the smash community is the guys that still LAN CE religiously.  Unfortunately, I don't think it's feasible to build a grass roots effort around CE at this point.

its not happening right now because people are wanting this grand tournament scene like halo used to be instead of just wanting to play like they used to. thats the main reason why smash still has a community is because the players play the game simply for the game itself. halo doesnt have that right now, and thats why i advocate for people just playing the halo they want and doing whatever comes naturally to playing that game.

halo 1 is my halo of choice and thats what i will be doing until i get sick of it. ill play a few games of the later halos every now and then but i quickly realise i dont have to play an inferior game and i quickly go back to halo 1.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have a question for you Smashers out there, is there a player that wasn't one of the 7 that were highlighted that you thought should have been?

Wow, so that's what it looks like when you have pros who build up their own tournament scene and maintain it through loyalty and love for the game (even if it's the older version that came out in 2001).

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have a question for you Smashers out there, is there a player that wasn't one of the 7 that were highlighted that you thought should have been?

Armada

Didn't have the money for an episode with him but they did mention him plenty 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wow, so that's what it looks like when you have pros who build up their own tournament scene and maintain it through loyalty and love for the game (even if it's the older version that came out in 2001).

You would have to admit that maintaining that scene is easier being that it's 1v1 for many reasons. Halo didn't also come from nothing like smash. That's another part of the problem, MLG was pretty much there from the start so that infrastructure of random tournaments all over the country that smash developed wasn't there when MLG dropped Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would be cool, a lot of work / tracking people down though.

Please do this, Team Beyond could do such a good Halo documentary. Do it do it do it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A Halo documentary would need a few things to be good.

1. No Skype interviews, the reason the smash doc was so good is because it looked really professional.  All the interviews / opinions were done in real time on site with a really good camera.

2. It would require a 100 percent require kickstarter - in order to pay for transportation, (plane tickets, gas money, lodging) whatever to travel to these people.  Pay for camera equipment, and or a camera itself.

3. We would have to track down old school guys like Zyos who are god knows where which may be a little difficult, but not impossible.

4.  If we did do it I would break it up into sections in halo order and interview the people who were most relevant / on the come up for whatever game they were the best in.  (Ex. Halo 3 we talk about the height of the games popularity, ESPN, Snipedown on the comeup, etc)

It could be done, I know a lot of people who would probably be willing to help out - but it would need massive community support.

I wonder where you got these ideas from...

Also a lot of them were not done at events (M2Ks House, Wifes House, and many others)

• Downvote (-1) 4

A Halo documentary would need a few things to be good.

1. No Skype interviews, the reason the smash doc was so good is because it looked really professional.  All the interviews / opinions were done in real time on site with a really good camera.

2. It would require a 100 percent require kickstarter - in order to pay for transportation, (plane tickets, gas money, lodging) whatever to travel to these people.  Pay for camera equipment, and or a camera itself.

3. We would have to track down old school guys like Zyos who are god knows where which may be a little difficult, but not impossible.

4.  If we did do it I would break it up into sections in halo order and interview the people who were most relevant / on the come up for whatever game they were the best in.  (Ex. Halo 3 we talk about the height of the games popularity, ESPN, Snipedown on the comeup, etc)

It could be done, I know a lot of people who would probably be willing to help out - but it would need massive community support.

It just depends how nice you want it to be. Jumping in a car with a good camera and a couple other guys is enough to get the interviews at people's houses. You don't need to fly everyone to you or whoever is doing it. 3 options for people interested in seeing it done, do a halfway decent job in which skype interviews are fine as long as the quality is high, get a kickstarter going and do it better, or approach the creators of the ssb doc and see if they're interested.

Why not contact the company that made the smash documentary, and see what they would say about doing a Halo one?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why not contact the company that made the smash documentary, and see what they would say about doing a Halo one?

This.  At least contact Samox as he was in the forefront of this whole thing (at least I think he is) and maybe talk in PMs at Smashboards or ask if you can skype eachother on the Documentary Thread

The have the skills and no how (obviously) but they made the documentary because there were smash players. They were a fan of the community and lived it. For a Halo documentary to have the same success, it would have to be done by a member/members of the community. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The have the skills and no how (obviously) but they made the documentary because there were smash players. They were a fan of the community and lived it. For a Halo documentary to have the same success, it would have to be done by a member/members of the community. 

I agree. Honestly, it wouldn't be any good if an outside company that barely has any interest in the community made it. They wouldn't be able to capture the soul of the community, which is what made the Smash documentary amazing. But we could learn how to go about doing something this big from them. Wouldn't hurt. I feel like we could make a pretty damn good Halo documentary.

Related Question: Who would be the top players we should focus on?

I say Ogre 1, Ogre 2, Gandhi, Pistola, Walshy, Big Daddy T, Snip3down, Legit, and RoyBox. Then there would be a focus on Ace and the H4GC.