Sign in to follow this  
Joseph

Smash Brothers Documentary Discussion

I agree. Honestly, it wouldn't be any good if an outside company that barely has any interest in the community made it. They wouldn't be able to capture the soul of the community, which is what made the Smash documentary amazing. But we could learn how to go about doing something this big from them. Wouldn't hurt. I feel like we could make a pretty damn good Halo documentary.

Related Question: Who would be the top players we should focus on?

I say Ogre 1, Ogre 2, Gandhi, Pistola, Walshy, Big Daddy T, Snip3down, Legit, and RoyBox. Then there would be a focus on Ace and the H4GC.

There's more players in Halo so it's difficult to narrow down to just 8 but I would say: the ogres, zyos, walshy, t2, neighbor, Pistola, legit, and gandhi. Then have Bravo be like the black commentator. However bravo seems to be declawed as of now, so not sure how much he could actually say about anything Halo related.

SS, SK Halogod, AP darkman, and sundance would all be interesting to hear as well.

There's more players in Halo so it's difficult to narrow down to just 8 but I would say: the ogres, zyos, walshy, t2, neighbor, Pistola, legit, and gandhi. Then have Bravo be like the black commentator. However bravo seems to be declawed as of now, so not sure how much he could actually say about anything Halo related.

SS, SK Halogod, AP darkman, and sundance would all be interesting to hear as well.

I think we could get a couple of good interviews with Bravo. I was going to add Zyos to the list, but it could be hard to find him. Add the fact that he disappeared in the middle of H2 and I can't see him being a better option than Roy and Lunch. Also, Snip3down has one of the best stories out of everyone in Halo history, so I don't think we can skip him.

I think we could get a couple of good interviews with Bravo. I was going to add Zyos to the list, but it could be hard to find him. Add the fact that he disappeared in the middle of H2 and I can't see him being a better option than Roy and Lunch.

Fonzi, saiyan, karma and wave would all be good as well. The reasons why they left the scene would be interesting to hear. I think fonzi had a good CS job but not sure about saiyan and karma.

Fonzi, saiyan, karma and wave would all be good as well. The reasons why they left the scene would be interesting to hear. I think fonzi had a good CS job but not sure about saiyan and karma.

I would like to hear their reasons too. Yeah, there are so many good players. It's ridiculous.

I would like to hear their reasons too. Yeah, there are so many good players. It's ridiculous.

Having this come out before H5 drops can only do good things for the community. I don't care what people say about the Dev cycle, things can still be changed until a few months before release so there's time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It seemed like most of the interviews took place in peoples houses and not events.

If Team Beyond did this, skype interviews would be out of the question - if an attempt is made to create this, we will do it right.  

Also as far as the guys behind the smash doc making a Halo one goes, I am sure they would do a good job but imo it would be cool to see people who had a genuine interest / years of exp create something like this.. whether that be Beyond or an outside party.

Either way it will take a lot of work haha.

You need Puckett to get interviewed too. Do you realize how many intense games he's watched every pro play? He could probably point out the clutchest players and the ones who choke hard under pressure. Hell, that could be a section in itself. This is something I'd actually donate to and I never donate money online. It would be well worth it because that Smash documentary is literally epic and sums up all of their feelings. If we put something like that together than every single competitive/casual Halo player would see and so would 343 and they could finally understand where were coming from...

• Upvote (+1) 2

It seemed like most of the interviews took place in peoples houses and not events.

If Team Beyond did this, skype interviews would be out of the question - if an attempt is made to create this, we will do it right.  

Also as far as the guys behind the smash doc making a Halo one goes, I am sure they would do a good job but imo it would be cool to see people who had a genuine interest / years of exp create something like this.. whether that be Beyond or an outside party.

You should try to put together and estimated amount of money it would take. I guarantee our community would go above and beyond (no pun intended) for something like this.

^This. If we are going to do it, we are going to do it right. Can't do it halfway. Depends on if we all want to start working on something this big.

Started an outline of what could be in a Halo documentary. Rounded it out to about 15 parts.

Part 1: Introductory.

Part 2: CE pistol and mechanics that make Halo great.

Part 3: Halo's Rise through MLG

Part 4: The Ogres (more specifically StK and Ogre 1)

Part 5: Walshy (First player to beat StK. Rise of Final Boss)

Part 6: Gandhi (First player to beat Final Boss)

Part 7: Big Daddy T and Str8 Rippin'

Part 8: Beast Mode (Legit)

Part 9: Snip3down (Major focus on the 08 season)

Part 10: RoyBox

Part 11: The Wizard (Ola)

Part 12: The GOAT (2gre)

Part 13: Halo 4 and Ambush

Part 14: The H4GC (especially the Ace-Pistola finals)

Part 15: Where we are now

Smash doc got $14k from the kick starter

Damn. We might be dad

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can someone make a competitive Halo documentary like this, please? I watched all of this in one sitting the day after it came out and I already want to watch it all again.

@@Mayday Karma FFA dominance must be included! H4GC also due to its scale.

If someone plans on making a Halo documentary, I highly advise against trying to just copy and paste from Melee's. It doesn't make much sense to have sections based off of players because as influential as some players were, they never really defined a part of Halo history. You could expand each episode's focus to particular teams instead of players, but that doesn't really work because FB was such a dominating force for so many years that they take up like 50% of the timeline... lol

What you should do is divide it by each Halo game's iteration, especially since the evolution (or perhaps devolution) of the Halo series is the whole impetus for the documentary in the first place. For each game, you can give insight into the competitive scene at the time and detail the teams and players who influenced the metagame that way. Idk my Halo history nearly as well as my Melee history, but here's a rough outline:

Halo 1:

- development goals concerning H1's design (innovative console shooter, etc.)

- explain the basics of the game (the pistol, power weapons, health system, powerups, map design/control)

- pre-MLG competitive scene (if there's anything to even talk about)

- beginnings of MLG (background info about notable players and teams)

- a look towards the future (what people had hoped to see in the sequel to probably the greatest console FPS to date)

Halo 2:

- minority dissent among H1 players in reaction to the relatively drastic changes

- overall success of the game due to XBL

- community behavior over XBL (mainly how deplorable everyone was with their newfound anonymity; cheating, trash talking, etc.)

- BR patch making competition feasible

- MLG's continued growth; introducing live streams

- Final Boss dominance continued from CE

- MLG's exposure blowing up with USA TV special

- Carbon's win over FB in '06

- Final Boss reclaiming the title as best in '07

Halo 3:

- gameplay mechanics that seriously hindered competitive play (BR spread, slow movement speed, pre-patch melee system, weak map pool)

- the community moves on, MLG continues to grow with huge sponsors

Halo Reach:

- loadouts added seemingly to appeal to players of other shooter brands

- MLG's refusal to remove sprint despite widespread agreement that it hurt gameplay

- v7 finally getting a no sprint, no bloom Halo back to the community

- too little, too late; MLG drops Halo

Halo 4:

- loadout trend continued from Reach

- sprint not only added in addition to other AAs, but the toggle option from Reach was removed

- camo powerup removed

- flinch replacing getting knocked out of scope

- flagnum replacing the dynamic flag carrying in the previous Halos

Summary:

- a look back from H4 to H1 to see how much everything is changed, almost entirely for the worst

- how developers have played a role in Halo's decline

- decline of the overall Halo population outside of the competitive community

- a look to the future with Halo 5; I know everyone wants a feel-good documentary, but any realist will tell you it looks grim

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You need Puckett to get interviewed too. Do you realize how many intense games he's watched every pro play? He could probably point out the clutchest players and the ones who choke hard under pressure. Hell, that could be a section in itself. This is something I'd actually donate to and I never donate money online. It would be well worth it because that Smash documentary is literally epic and sums up all of their feelings. If we put something like that together than every single competitive/casual Halo player would see and so would 343 and they could finally understand where were coming from...

I would have to talk to MLG anyways to get permission to use old footage, would not want to run into any copyright issues!  Hopefully guys like Sundance or Puckett could give their two cents about some stuff.

@ are you serious? Good lord.

ALSO.  Clicked would be a really good "Narrator" for something like this imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm4xuBm0U68

Incredible. First saw the game in person at Dallas '06 ever since then have always been a fan. Also, a Halo one would 100% impossible without the help of MLG and the countless footage they have over the years. We would need people who were there from day 1, Darkmans, BigSauce, Walsh, The Twins, Puckett, TDT. PS. GM. Jownz, Xena. +countless more. Without any of them, it wouldn't represent how it started and how far we've come.

Can someone make a competitive Halo documentary like this, please? I watched all of this in one sitting the day after it came out and I already want to watch it all again.

I agree. Honestly, it wouldn't be any good if an outside company that barely has any interest in the community made it. They wouldn't be able to capture the soul of the community, which is what made the Smash documentary amazing. But we could learn how to go about doing something this big from them. Wouldn't hurt. I feel like we could make a pretty damn good Halo documentary.

Related Question: Who would be the top players we should focus on?

I say Ogre 1, Ogre 2, Gandhi, Pistola, Walshy, Big Daddy T, Snip3down, Legit, and RoyBox. Then there would be a focus on Ace and the H4GC.

U forgot Ghost aka the savior AKA one of the most important dudes in Halo circa now.

Ghost is also super accessible. Def has to be done b4 h5 is released tho because we need it for leverage and to talk about halo WAS and is supposed to be.

I would have to talk to MLG anyways to get permission to use old footage, would not want to run into any copyright issues! Hopefully guys like Sundance or Puckett could give their two cents about some stuff.

@ are you serious? Good lord.

ALSO. Clicked would be a really good "Narrator" for something like this imo.

]

Yeah you can read it here in the OP unless I'm reading it wrong http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smash-brothers-series-calling-all-collaborators.309978/

Also if this doc did come to fruition maybe instead of olayers having specific episodes we can do it by Top teams? Not sure how to do it tho

Also if this doc did come to fruition maybe instead of olayers having specific episodes we can do it by Top teams? Not sure how to do it tho

If you're talking about interviewing teams at once, that would make it more difficult. Also teams didn't really stay together for more than a few events after H3 launched so it might not really make sense.