Sign in to follow this  
Joseph

Smash Brothers Documentary Discussion

I know this is the Halo General discussion but this documentary about the Smash community was very well done, and some of the things they went through / still are going through are shockingly similar to what we have been dealing with as well.  A lot of people have been asking for the links so I figured I would post them all in one place.  Watch all the parts - its seriously pretty damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tgWH-qXpv8

full playlist with all 9 parts - 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Sometimes I wish the next Halo DIDN'T  had XBL, only to force people to go out  and do LAN's, just like old times...people no just stays at home and trash talks everyone because they won a game online, but I realize that XBL is needed so oh well.

This.

Also, that documentary is prolly one of the best of all time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the difference is Melee is not designed to be an online game. You actually have to get together in person if you want to play. 

Sometimes I feel the bulk of our community would rather watch pro teams compete than compete themselves.

Regardless, the documentary is fucking awesome. 

Most FGC games have a serious preference for offline play. Even those newer games with superior netcodes have online modes that are mostly considered "taboo".

great post, looking forward to watching these tonight.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Teams of 4 make smaller local tournaments harder and less successful. In smash you show up with yourself and a controller and maybe a partner and that's all you need. Unless we're talking a doubles tournament you need to show up with yourself 3 and other people that live around you semi locally and play. Smash will thrive as a fighting game because you do not need a large team to compete at presegious or even local events.

343 made the global championship FFA for this reason, more accessible.

• Upvote (+1) 4

SPOILER

SPOILER

This clip really spoke to me.

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=pKZmZfiIsto&p=n#/806;878

Good find. Very, very close to halo's demise. 

I feel like in addition to things like the document being made in K2fives thread, a halo documentary would be very helpful. With all the video editors, there's enough footage already out there for half of it and the other half could be skype interviews with pros. Saucy, you should do that, it'll get a lot of views.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Project M is even played events.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Project_M

I played in the smash EU community for years until I switch to halo. Some of my friends still enter tournaments today.

Smash is played at the biggest fighting event, EVO. With no developer support, no updates to fix/change mechanics.

The 11year old game still pulled more views than bigger games in the FGC in EVO2013. Games such as, streefighter 4 and ultimate marvel vs capcom 3.

We dont need a Halo documentary. We need a good game. After we are relevant again, sure make a documentary.

A documentary showing how much people loved halo ce, 2 and the success of 3 with the demise of HR and H4 would show what 'a good game' should look like. That would be the point of the documentary.....

• Upvote (+1) 4

Good find. Very, very close to halo's demise. 

I feel like in addition to things like the document being made in K2fives thread, a halo documentary would be very helpful. With all the video editors, there's enough footage already out there for half of it and the other half could be skype interviews with pros. Saucy, you should do that, it'll get a lot of views.

Would be cool, a lot of work / tracking people down though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Would be cool, a lot of work / tracking people down though.

Yeah, I think the community is ripe for something like this. You should think about putting a team together for it. People love to tell their story.

Smash and Halo are two completely different games in terms of creating a grass roots movement. As someone mentioned Smash is 1v1 or 2v2. It is very easy to grab a controller by yourself and go and compete. Getting 4 people together is extremely difficult, considering how immature people are, and are willing to jump ship to another team if the opportunity looks better.

Another factor that makes Smash grassroots efforts easier, is the cost associated with running a tournament. With smash all you need is a gamecube (~$20), and a tube tv for one station. For Halo you need 8 tvs (not tube) and 8 360s.

• Upvote (+1) 3

In a way, Melee fulfilled it's purpose of a 'party game'...people actually got together to play this. Nowadays it's safe to say many people would, like @ posted above, sit at home and play online or watch a stream. We've all become so accustomed to staring at a screen the human element to these sorts of things is becoming ever marginalized for online play.

A documentary showing how much people loved halo ce, 2 and the success of 3 with the demise of HR and H4 would show what 'a good game' should look like. That would be the point of the documentary.....

I think a better point would be made if we waited after Halo 5 and it was (hopefully) a good game and we showed how we rose from the ashes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think a better point would be made if we waited after Halo 5 and it was (hopefully) a good game and we showed how we rose from the ashes.

lol

Haha..that isn't a point...geezus.

Using a documentary to contribute to Halo 5 being a good game is a lot more important than making one that's just entertaining after H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haha..that isn't a point...geezus.

Using a documentary to contribute to Halo 5 being a good game is a lot more important than making one that's just entertaining after H5.

When I say point I mean theme of the documentary. Do you really think this documentary is going to be made within an extremely short time frame for 343i to watch it and then CHANGE THEIR GAME? They already know what they are doing for Halo 5, and they have seen enough criticism on these forums to know what we want. Maybe that document that they are working on would be a good way to organize what we want in one place, but a documentary would take too long.

Not gonna lie, this documentary made me really want to get into fighters. 

I went out an bought a gamecube for 20 bucks (I already had Melee and a memory card from a long time ago). I also got Tekken Tag Tournament 2, my friend DLed Dead or Alive 5 Core fighters, and I got a copy of one of the Naruto games (Forgot which one).

We have been playing the crap out of DOA 5 and the Naruto game this weekend. Today will be melee day and Tomorrow is Tekken day. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Wow, I feel bad for that community now too...From what I gather, Super Smash Bros Brawl was the equivalent of Reach/Halo 4 for their competitive scene. It seems like they dumbed down Brawl which essentially lower the skill gap and the game didn't have a balanced set of characters. Sounds a lot like what happened to Halo (skill gap/ weapon sandbox). It starts with the game itself. At the heart of every competitive scene is a game that people love and want to get better at for the sake of it. Really incredible video series though. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

When I say point I mean theme of the documentary. Do you really think this documentary is going to be made within an extremely short time frame for 343i to watch it and then CHANGE THEIR GAME? They already know what they are doing for Halo 5, and they have seen enough criticism on these forums to know what we want. Maybe that document that they are working on would be a good way to organize what we want in one place, but a documentary would take too long.

It doesn't have to be that high quality. It could get way more support and views than a doc that they probably could care less about.