Andy

Spartan Ops in Halo 5?

In a recent job listing on the Microsoft Job site one sentence stands out.  ”343 is exploring future episodic storytelling endeavors in the Halo universe.”

The paragraph previous to that describes 343s implementation of Spartan Ops and the Halo TV series. The listing is looking for a software producer. It’s fairly safe to assume that this means 343 are looking into Spartan Ops V2, or something similar. You can check out the full job posting here.

Are you glad? Still just want firefight back? What do you want in Spartan Ops V2?

Wasn't Spartan Ops a complete failure with repetitive mission maps and no real progress in the story that makes it worth playing?  If they really are working on exactly the same version of Spartan Ops that got released with H4, they are not listening to the community at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In the first season the CGI cutscenes and the story that was told with them was good. Second half of Season 1 was also pretty good. The recycling of levels and MP maps though just made Spartan Ops somewhat of a letdown.  

I'm all for the expanding of the Universe whether it be extra game content outside of campaign, novels, or TV. I just don't want this to be like their first go around at this and half assed. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

In a recent job listing on the Microsoft Job site one sentence stands out.  ”343 is exploring future episodic storytelling endeavors in the Halo universe.”

The paragraph previous to that describes 343s implementation of Spartan Ops and the Halo TV series. The listing is looking for a software producer. It’s fairly safe to assume that this means 343 are looking into Spartan Ops V2, or something similar. You can check out the full job posting here.

Are you glad? Still just want firefight back? What do you want in Spartan Ops V2?

What I want for Spartan Ops is for it to not fucking exist. AFAIK, nobody asked for it, nobody wanted it, nobody liked it, and I'll bet my life savings 343 spent 4x the time on that shit than they did multiplayer. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Wasn't Spartan Ops a complete failure with repetitive mission maps and no real progress in the story that makes it worth playing?  If they really are working on exactly the same version of Spartan Ops that got released with H4, they are not listening to the community at all.

The first half of the season was utterly awful in terms of missions. The second half improved big time but still left room for HUGE improvements such as a new map each time, rather than reusing the same ones over and over. 

The CGI cutscenes were by far the best thing about Spartan Ops. 

I find your post to be a little silly, you say it like they are going to do the exact same thing as Halo 4 when it was clear in the second half they were listening. 

As for "no real progress in the story that makes it worth playing", come on dude. They just found a freaking key that would let them find every damn piece of Forerunner tech. All the Halos are belong to us. 

What I want for Spartan Ops is for it to not fucking exist. AFAIK, nobody asked for it, nobody wanted it, nobody liked it, and I'll bet my life savings 343 spent 4x the time on that shit than they did multiplayer. 

I've wanted something like it for a long time, and I loved it, even with its flaws. Bring it back in Halo 5 - make it better, and have Firefight too pls. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

As long as they give us Firefight back, I think the community will be happy (assuming they do Firefight right). 

Companies should never take anything away, unless 90+% of the community absolutely hate it and want it gone. Always look to add new stuff and improve on what you already have, that way you don't make certain groups of people annoyed that a certain thing they enjoyed got removed.

I guess we can take a positive out of this, they are looking to hire someone in that department so hopefully they understand H4 SpOps wasn't fun and they're looking to improve it for H5. 

Also, another thing I hope they learned from H4's SpOps is to not spend so much time focusing on bringing new episodes instead of much needed MM updates. I think they should have a Season ready pre launch and then release them weekly or bi-weekly like they did and focus on any MM related issues post launch as that's where most of the players will be playing. First impressions are huge and I think a lot of people left H4 because 343 took so long to address the issues such as balancing the primary weapons amongst other stuff. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

How it should have been done with Halo 4 and how I hope they do it for Halo 5 is to have Firefight at launch and save "Spartan Ops" as Campaign DLC(s) for later in the year.

I've wanted something like it for a long time, and I loved it, even with its flaws. Bring it back in Halo 5 - make it better, and have Firefight too pls. 

The problem with this is that the more time is being spent on these gimmicky game modes, the less time is being spent on multiplayer. I know, I know, you like Spartan Ops, I like Firefight, but you have to agree that they're nothing more than gimmicky timewasters. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The problem with this is that the more time is being spent on these gimmicky game modes, the less time is being spent on multiplayer. I know, I know, you like Spartan Ops, I like Firefight, but you have to agree that they're nothing more than gimmicky timewasters. 

They do have different teams working on that stuff ya know? The multiplayer team doesn't stop developing their stuff if the Spartan Ops team do, and vice versa. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

They do have different teams working on that stuff ya know? The multiplayer team doesn't stop developing their stuff if the Spartan Ops team do, and vice versa. 

Yes, I understand that. Please try to tell me with a straight face that 343 as a whole didn't care more about SpOps and the casual audience than the multiplayer. 

And in this case different studios.

The thing is, they have a set amount of resources. Resources that could be used to focus on other things. 

Someone did a really interesting thread back on THC where they claimed that the pre-patch Halo 4 weapon sandbox was balanced around Spartan Ops. Regardless, I think 343 should keep it simple and spend all their time on making campaign and MP good. 

Someone did a really interesting thread back on THC where they claimed that the pre-patch Halo 4 weapon sandbox was balanced around Spartan Ops. Regardless, I think 343 should keep it simple and spend all their time on making campaign and MP good. 

Given how incompetent 343 has proven to be, I actually wouldn't doubt that at all. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

The first half of the season was utterly awful in terms of missions. The second half improved big time but still left room for HUGE improvements such as a new map each time, rather than reusing the same ones over and over. 

The CGI cutscenes were by far the best thing about Spartan Ops. 

I find your post to be a little silly, you say it like they are going to do the exact same thing as Halo 4 when it was clear in the second half they were listening. 

As for "no real progress in the story that makes it worth playing", come on dude. They just found a freaking key that would let them find every damn piece of Forerunner tech. All the Halos are belong to us. 

Goes to show how much of an "effect" Spartan Ops actually had on me.  I enjoyed passing H4's campaign on Legendary and it was a pain in the ass but exciting. SOps was boring, tedious and a waste of time.  

And I am certain you got to majority of players and ask them what they thought about Spartan Ops, they would say it was a failure.

Wasn't 343's main excuse for a weak H4 due to the fact the team had to be split up to work on separate projects and were limited to people?

Wasn't 343's main excuse for a weak H4 due to the fact the team had to be split up to work on separate projects and were limited to people?

Yes. Be condescending about "different teams" all you want, Moa, that doesn't change the fact that 343's reasoning was EXACTLY what I've been saying is the problem with Spartan Ops existing. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Things Spartan Ops needs:

• 5 Episodes, not 10... people lost interest to quickly
  • Therefore, longer CGI sequences
  • 3 Missions per episode, longer with more map variation.
  • 10 Maps minimum, would leave 5 maps to be repeated
  • Link missions to the CGI story... make it a 3 arc (for the three missions) quest that relates to what the characters in the CGI story need.

Spartan Ops was OK, it had its flaws but it reminded me a lot Sheldon Cooper fro. big Bang Theory. At first you don't understand it or care about it, but with time it kinda grows on you.

I'm not surprised at all. As long as they approach it more like campaign this time around and have enemy volume scale based on player count it will be a lot better.

I'm just going to quote myself from another thread instead of writing out the same thing in different words

I don't know why the community just can't agree that both Firefight and Spartan Ops suck. Firefight in ODST was a hit because of ODST, not because of FF. You were meant to be weaker and not all powerful. This isn't the case in Reach and Halo 4 and I don't see another ODST like game in the near future. Firefight won't be good again. In Spartan Ops, I felt like the Master Chief in different armor while re-playing bits of the campaign.

It's always a Firefight vs. Spartan Ops discussion. I vote cut both and put that time and money elsewhere in the game. They're hardly essential to the series.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 should just rip off COD and make a zombies type game mode but with the flood.