Ghostie

Why don't we make our own Halo?

has it occurred to anyone that we cud always develop our own game?

i mean, the community's in the shitter almost entirely because we've had 2 games with detrimental gameplay, so why dont we fix that by making our own game?

we learn from 343i's mistakes.

we establish a democratic development team, picked from the best in our community. perhaps we shud rotate the team too.

we remember the game is for the community. we make it free-to-play.

we decide on an engine, or a game to mod.

we search for appropriate skillsets. the halo community is pretty big, im willing to bet a few of us have some expertise in programming, modding, modeling, character/level design etc

we make our own game, then we play the shit out of it.

we get the community to pool in resources. this can be donations, or human effort, or content on social media sites.

this isn't so insane, we're all (obviously) into gaming, and thus its likely a lot of us know either what makes a game tick or how to make a game. we can also see proof of 'handmade' games being successful in tournaments; dota and counter-strike. a lot of us aren't fussed about graphics, only gameplay. thus knowledge in specular maps, uv maps, inverse kinetics etc. is somewhat unnecessary. i think we want halo to be on console mostly, so we cud find a way to have the game be on PC (where development/modding is easiest) yet require a plugged in xbox controller. we cud set the game in our own IP, but retain halo's core (or - gasp - IMPROVE it!), to avoid the vigilant watch of microsoft's lawyers. it isnt necessary to create the game from scratch either, we cud use an existing freeware engine/game and mod it.

the only problem i see is laziness and the time it takes to develop the game.

but just imagine :/

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

People have jobs and family... Theyre not gonna leave there homes to go to a location to make a game which is already like 50% done elsewhere -.-

• Upvote (+1) 4

If it was anything like halo 3 I would hate it, and I feel like most community members would draw influence from halo 3 during development.

So, no. The community needs to be in agreement on gameplay characteristics before we can all make and play a game together.

Honestly, resource issues aside, as Murder Miners has shown it is so tough to market a Halo clone because you can't use "Halo". Even if we did get a Halo esque game up and running, how would we advertise and distribute it? Make it an Indie game on XBL and hope we can somehow pull in a large enough group to make playing it worth it? There's already a game that tried that called Murder Miners, and its tough to get even a 6 man FFA going most nights.

I think a better solution at this point would be to develop a better version of XBC. Rewrite the code for a better online experience, setup a site for matchmaking and get a few people with a good connection to setup a few dedicated servers. Then promote the shit out of it as a way to play H2+H1 online again.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's possible, but very unlikely that this community could pull together to make something like that happen. 

If it was that easy to make a full game such as Halo, everyone would be doing it. It's like saying lets all start a business and become billionaires - life isn't that straightforward. 

You guys could make a PC game using the Unreal Engine, its free and you would have all that customization. Indie PC game development if far superior to anything xbox can throw out. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Murder Miners seems like it was inspired by H1. It's really fun too.

Wait, it's a dollar?  Yeah, purchased.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly, resource issues aside, as Murder Miners has shown it is so tough to market a Halo clone because you can't use "Halo". Even if we did get a Halo esque game up and running, how would we advertise and distribute it? Make it an Indie game on XBL and hope we can somehow pull in a large enough group to make playing it worth it? There's already a game that tried that called Murder Miners, and its tough to get even a 6 man FFA going most nights.

I think a better solution at this point would be to develop a better version of XBC. Rewrite the code for a better online experience, setup a site for matchmaking and get a few people with a good connection to setup a few dedicated servers. Then promote the shit out of it as a way to play H2+H1 online again.

We have a whole community dedicated to scrims and customs. They just don't make their games public. It's really not hard to get 6 people.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Making even a simple video game takes a lot of work, knowledge, and collaboration.  It would be a massive undertaking to actually develop a shooter with the members of a community and no real resources.  If we're talking about modding something (i.e. Murder Miners) that's a different story, but creating something of our own from the ground up is impractical. 

However, I am currently attending Full Sail for Game Development with the intentions of eventually working on a Halo title after gaining many years of experience in the industry.

That game is fucking horrible.

This.

Yes, it has a 3sk pistol, yes it has a 4sk BR, but seriously, the aiming is horrible, the movement is horrible and you can spawn with Snipers etc.

It has similarities to Halo, but the whole map control, power weapon control goes out the window. It's hard to hold it to the same standard as an actual Halo game because it's just an Indy game for $1, but it's basically Minecraft with a 3sk pistol, snipe and BR.

It's not a good substitute for Halo, it's more like a game you'd play if you're really fucking bored or really fucking drunk.  

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This.

Yes, it has a 3sk pistol, yes it has a 4sk BR, but seriously, the aiming is horrible, the movement is horrible and you can spawn with Snipers etc.

It has similarities to Halo, but the whole map control, power weapon control goes out the window. It's hard to hold it to the same standard as an actual Halo game because it's just an Indy game for $1, but it's basically Minecraft with a 3sk pistol, snipe and BR.

It's not a good substitute for Halo, it's more like a game you'd play if you're really fucking bored or really fucking drunk.  

Damn, why did I have to read this right after I just bought it.  Oh well, at least it was cheap.

We can barely agree on a selection of 11 gametypes... can you imagine an entire game?

• Upvote (+1) 1