Sign in to follow this  
kkrotz

Regional Searching needs to make a return

I think the points made in the video are pretty valid. People that live in countries that aren't situated in the North american region are really screwed when it comes to matchmaking and lag. In fact, if americans have to play on foreign host their kinda screwed too. Whaddya think? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBYPdGxuOQ

• Upvote (+1) 1

Peer to peer in 2013 for the franchise that created Xbox Live and is owned by a deep pocketed company is is fucking ridiculous. I can guarantee you that if BF3 didn't have dedis it would hold no where near it's current population. Searching matchmaking with no region filter is like everything else in this game: RANDOM.

That's not even getting into the skillful gameplay mechanics that could have been added. Travel time on bullets for example.

Peer to peer in 2013 for the franchise that created Xbox Live and is owned by a deep pocketed company is is fucking ridiculous. I can guarantee you that if BF3 didn't have dedis it would hold no where near it's current population. Searching matchmaking with no region filter is like everything else in this game: RANDOM.

That's not even getting into the skillful gameplay mechanics that could have been added. Travel time on bullets for example.

That's what I don't quite get... Microsoft seem to have abandoned a game that they should have nurtured. They should give developers dickloads of budget and make sure that they produce the next standard of gaming, not to catch up and learn from other games mistakes. 

It's not like MS would even have to do much. They already have data centers all over the world. Repurpose a few machines in each to host games. Would cost them close to nothing.

i feel i cant complain when aussies have it so much worse

I live in South Africa dude... you have no idea. I have to wait to buffer 240p videos sometimes... I feel sorry for people when I pull host.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have been living in asia for 18 years, Uni in Canada now, I never knew there was such thing as 144p on YouTube.

Yes it's way better playing with people in ur own area, but the search times are stupid long...hell sometimes I won't be able to even find a game.

Granted it was 5AM EST but when I logged on to check out the update there were only two playlists with over 200 people searching. Those kind of numbers will never yield solid connection for everyone in the match, if you can even find one.

I think the points made in the video are pretty valid. People that live in countries that aren't situated in the North american region are really screwed when it comes to matchmaking and lag. In fact, if americans have to play on foreign host their kinda screwed too. Whaddya think? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBYPdGxuOQ

I want to comment somehow but all i see is boobs....  :ghost:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm Australian, And people like me are willing to wait 10-20 minute for a good-connection game in Halo Reach or Halo 3. It shows how much we need this system. Here we generally only play customs now. Its just too difficult to enjoy online multiplayer

I agree but 343 aren't gonna do anything about it in Halo 4. Then we have dedicated servers for Halo 5 so that won't be an issue anymore.

H4 was doing pretty good after they improved the search filters in December. However, after the population dropped off below 40k peak players in April it's deteriorated quickly. I can't even find local hosts on a Friday/Saturday night in Infinity Slayer.

I just gave up and started playing more competitive customs which are much more enjoyable.

TBH it wouldnt do much but hinder search times at this point. Our job as a community is to spread word to try and get back up over 50K peak and then worry about search functions.

TBH it wouldnt do much but hinder search times at this point. Our job as a community is to spread word to try and get back up over 50K peak and then worry about search functions.

That doesn't really make sense considering you're trying to bring back people who left because there was no filter. It hurt the population of international players.

Doesn't matter though, H4 isn't going to get any people back. There's only so much you can do because when it comes down to it, people want to play a good Halo game.

H4 was doing pretty good after they improved the search filters in December. However, after the population dropped off below 40k peak players in April it's deteriorated quickly. I can't even find local hosts on a Friday/Saturday night in Infinity Slayer.

I just gave up and started playing more competitive customs which are much more enjoyable.

I think everyone prefers playing customs to matchmaking. But for someone like me, thats looking for good games on fair hosts, its not viable because my opposition either really suck or the connection is just too unfair on either team.

I think it would be great in an ideal world; but please no dedicated servers. 

Honestly they do not work very well for large populations.

Would i like regional searching? Yes

Would i like playing with people only from my region (Europe)? No

And why you may ask. Personally beating people on good connections is 'easy' 99% of the time; but atleast when i play with 300 + ping on a US host it at least gives me some kind of challenge.

Of course if we had trueskill i wouldn't be saying 'Yeah Lag makes the game better'

Could you elaborate on why globally located, corporate grade, dedicated servers would be worse than running off of Jimmy's nine year old Linksys over DSL connection while sister Suzy watches Netflix?

I think it would be great in an ideal world; but please no dedicated servers. 

Honestly they do not work very well for large populations.

Would i like regional searching? Yes

Would i like playing with people only from my region (Europe)? No

And why you may ask. Personally beating people on good connections is 'easy' 99% of the time; but atleast when i play with 300 + ping on a US host it at least gives me some kind of challenge.

Of course if we had trueskill i wouldn't be saying 'Yeah Lag makes the game better'

I dont get why you are saying no to dedicated servers, I was under the impression that would helo our online experience 

I dont get why you are saying no to dedicated servers, I was under the impression that would helo our online experience

He is so godly that the only time he is ever challenged is when he is lagging. Then the other players at least have a chance to get a shot off before he decimates them.

He is so godly that the only time he is ever challenged is when he is lagging. Then the other players at least have a chance to get a shot off before he decimates them.

No i am far from that; i just have experience playing games with dedicated servers.

If one person lags everyone lags, it makes next to no difference just add's cost.

And what if your local server goes down? No gaming for you

No i am far from that; i just have experience playing games with dedicated servers.

If one person lags everyone lags, it makes next to no difference just add's cost.

And what if your local server goes down? No gaming for you

If one of the local servers went down I would choose another local server. If all the local servers were down I would choose the one I had the next best ping to. If every dedicated server went down all at once then it would be smart to keep the peer to peer code in the game to fall back on, similar to how how the playlists will go to the backup hoppers if the matchmaking server goes down.

The funny thing is with dedicated servers is even if you have a high ping, you can eventually adjust. With peer to peer hosting your ping will not only vary wildly from game to game, because the hosts may be from opposite sides of the world, but during game because of residential internet connections, malfunctioning/ improperly set up consumer hardware, and from other users on the host's network.

If one of the local servers went down I would choose another local server. If all the local servers were down I would choose the one I had the next best ping to. If every dedicated server went down all at once then it would be smart to keep the peer to peer code in the game to fall back on, similar to how how the playlists will go to the backup hoppers if the matchmaking server goes down.

The funny thing is with dedicated servers is even if you have a high ping, you can eventually adjust. With peer to peer hosting your ping will not only vary wildly from game to game, because the hosts may be from opposite sides of the world, but during game because of residential internet connections, malfunctioning/ improperly set up consumer hardware, and from other users on the host's network.

I wish that was the case

I would be cool with that, but is the population high enough to do it?

I dodge 99% of the time if it's a foreign host. :/