Sign in to follow this  
Omn1science

This is THE Turning Point for Halo

If option 2 doesn't work, why would you still even care?

I'm not going to stick around for Halo if Halo 5 isn't great. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

2. We need to start taking seriously the fact that there is a very very real possibility there will never be another competitive Halo game. So we have a better relationship with 343 now. Great. They have been said to get it. 

That's not true though. 343 doesn't get it, and I'm sure they're aware of it themselves. H3 being more popular than H4 is no joke.

As for the small tournaments, well let me tell you this. Halo is the kind of game that you need to be able to be on rather consistently, with a team, in order to improve a significant amount, or at least stay on top of your game.

Without online, it is bound to die or come to a huge stand still (CE / H2). Xbox One is not backwards compatible. H3 or Reach won't last more than a year at this rate. H4 neither, but no one cares.

That leaves us with ONLY the next gen Halo as a title we can get practice in without holding a huge ass LAN. If that game is not good, people won't put in so much effort to be the savior Halo needs. People can get mad ungrateful mad fast. It's not worth spending so much time and effort. Look at how much shit MLG got when Halo was dropped.

Everyone has gotten this sense of self-entitlement for being "Halo"; started huge by the grace of gods, had the biggest gaming league, started as the best console shooter of its era. People won't settle for less.

If the next game is bad, we just don't have a choice but to move on and pick up a better shooter or game overall. Halo requires massive time to practice, and it's not feasible without online or big LANs.

And no one has that kind of money to waste on Halo, because let's face it, it's not an investment.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Made a comment in one of the forum posts about how we should emphasize playing the older games much like the FGC. Glad to see some one else agrees. 

It's not like they don't play the newer games either, so the people who do enjoy Halo 4 and on wouldn't be shit outta luck, there would just be more attention paid to the older game. It can work, with the right cooperation from everyone who's willing to keep Halo alive. We shouldn't be dependent on one company to hosts tournaments, again like the FGC. They get one major tournament a year and the others are provided by other companies. Maybe we should adopt some philosophies from them, seeing as they are still succeeding in running tournaments and what not.

Halo at its prime was way ahead of its time. Halo made e-sports, when nobody knew about it. Now e-sports are on the front line and halo has evolved into a bad game competitively. Bad timimg

Halo at its prime was way ahead of its time. Halo made e-sports, when nobody knew about it.

Sir...

Halo at its prime was way ahead of its time. Halo made e-sports, when nobody knew about it. Now e-sports are on the front line and halo has evolved into a bad game competitively. Bad timimg

Yeah... Ummmm, I was into "esports" and competitive gaming far before i picked up Halo ce/Halo2. Quake, CS 1.6, Star craft... All those games had big esports following's and league type tournaments & play (Though not really in the US) far before the release of Halo.

If we are speaking strictly the emergence of esports in north america, sure. Halo really help make it what it is today. But worldwide... Halo was not the beginning of anything except maybe console esports.

• Upvote (+1) 3

wut...

No. Nonononononononononono.

2. We need to start taking seriously the fact that there is a very very real possibility there will never be another competitive Halo game.........

My condolences...

But this makes me curious.. what will you do without a competitive Halo? What are your options today?

My condolences...

But this makes me curious.. what will you do without a competitive Halo? What are your options today?

Get good at PC shooters unless you want to play 10 different versions of the ADS+sprint+loadout+weapon grind shooter that will be coming with XB1.

They just gotta make UT4, HL3, or something and im back baby.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo is the kind of game that you need to be able to be on rather consistently, with a team, in order to improve a significant amount

Even if I would never play in the offtime between tournaments, I would still travel and financially support a grassroots halo CE (or maybe even halo 2) tournament scene. I would like to think I'm not the only one here who shares that perspective.

Halo 3 can go suck a big fat cock though.

This might take years, but we need to change the culture around our game and start becoming more like the FGC. We cannot continue to try to force ourselves to play whatever shitty sequel comes down the tubes every 2-3 years.

This made me LOL. The core FGC never stop *****ing and moaning about the awful sequels they are herded into playing. The community is basically the same as Halo except they actually host tournaments. In terms of bitterness and disrespect among players, they are just as bad, maybe even worse. It's kind of hard to tell because the players that go to tournaments are much more mature than the ones that sit at home and stream monster or complain on forums, but either way they are no role model.

To be perfectly honest, it just doesn't seem logistically possible to maintain a grassroots Halo community without a MASSIVE population. 4v4s are the core of the series (at least for H2 onward), and the only way you're getting a decent amount of teams to a tournament is to have huge numbers. No one wants to organize a team of 4 from local players, spend time and money driving to a tournament, then play 3-4 other teams in <10 games and go home. They could have gotten online and scrimmed all day and saved money/hassle at the same time. Even if you're just trying to organize casual LANs where you hang out and do whatever, you still have the issue of split screening or having to bring an Xbox + monitor for each person, and the most you'll probably ever be able to do is play 2v2 unless you are going to play online together, in which case what was the point in getting together really?

The biggest factor is no one wants to host the tournaments. Successful games have players hosting tournaments on their own because they love their game. Most Halo players don't even love the game enough to stick with it after a sequel comes out so they definitely won't want to go through the huge suffering of the average tournament organizer (probably the hardest and most thankless job of any competitive community). I hosted tournaments myself for  Halo, CoD, and Melee, and they are a pain. I was working at a LAN center so it was actually my job and I still hated it. The Melee tournaments ran very smoothly despite me being clueless because the players were enjoying themselves and were fairly responsible about playing their matches and stuff. CoD players weren't too clear on what was going on, but at least they socialized a bit and enjoyed playing each other. Halo was just awful with everyone talking **** for no reason. It was hard to convince anyone to show up in the first place so some tournaments had really poor turnout, and players were constantly whining about other stuff completely out of anyone's control. After one tournament had completely finished, two kids got in a literally bloody fist fight...

I don't mean to propagate this hopeless idea of "Halo is dad", but I think it's also important to manage your expectations and realize a grassroots Halo scene is simply not happening. Even if MLG had dropped Halo before H3 launched it still would never have picked up in popularity in local scenes. With that being the case, there's no way it's happening after the most recent title bombs and everyone's in disagreement about what game to even play. If everyone unanimously wanted to go back to H1 there'd be a pretty good chance of grassroots tournaments popping up, but most people playing Halo today have never even played H1 competitively, let alone gone to a tournament for one.

This made me LOL. The core FGC never stop *****ing and moaning about the awful sequels they are herded into playing. The community is basically the same as Halo except they actually host tournaments. In terms of bitterness and disrespect among players, they are just as bad, maybe even worse. It's kind of hard to tell because the players that go to tournaments are much more mature than the ones that sit at home and stream monster or complain on forums, but either way they are no role model.

To be perfectly honest, it just doesn't seem logistically possible to maintain a grassroots Halo community without a MASSIVE population. 4v4s are the core of the series (at least for H2 onward), and the only way you're getting a decent amount of teams to a tournament is to have huge numbers. No one wants to organize a team of 4 from local players, spend time and money driving to a tournament, then play 3-4 other teams in <10 games and go home. They could have gotten online and scrimmed all day and saved money/hassle at the same time. Even if you're just trying to organize casual LANs where you hang out and do whatever, you still have the issue of split screening or having to bring an Xbox + monitor for each person, and the most you'll probably ever be able to do is play 2v2 unless you are going to play online together, in which case what was the point in getting together really?

The biggest factor is no one wants to host the tournaments. Successful games have players hosting tournaments on their own because they love their game. Most Halo players don't even love the game enough to stick with it after a sequel comes out so they definitely won't want to go through the huge suffering of the average tournament organizer (probably the hardest and most thankless job of any competitive community). I hosted tournaments myself for  Halo, CoD, and Melee, and they are a pain. I was working at a LAN center so it was actually my job and I still hated it. The Melee tournaments ran very smoothly despite me being clueless because the players were enjoying themselves and were fairly responsible about playing their matches and stuff. CoD players weren't too clear on what was going on, but at least they socialized a bit and enjoyed playing each other. Halo was just awful with everyone talking **** for no reason. It was hard to convince anyone to show up in the first place so some tournaments had really poor turnout, and players were constantly whining about other stuff completely out of anyone's control. After one tournament had completely finished, two kids got in a literally bloody fist fight...

I don't mean to propagate this hopeless idea of "Halo is dad", but I think it's also important to manage your expectations and realize a grassroots Halo scene is simply not happening. Even if MLG had dropped Halo before H3 launched it still would never have picked up in popularity in local scenes. With that being the case, there's no way it's happening after the most recent title bombs and everyone's in disagreement about what game to even play. If everyone unanimously wanted to go back to H1 there'd be a pretty good chance of grassroots tournaments popping up, but most people playing Halo today have never even played H1 competitively, let alone gone to a tournament for one.

I think your point about Halo being a 4v4 game is the single biggest problem with a grassroots legacy games tournaments..

Unfortunately with Halo, I think we all know deep down, we're at the mercy of the developer.

Just goin to say that the FGC started as small grassroot tournaments.  though halo is going to be more difficult to start that up with teams and whatnot.  But I do want more H1 2v2s if that's possible :S

Just goin to say that the FGC started as small grassroot tournaments.  though halo is going to be more difficult to start that up with teams and whatnot.  But I do want more H1 2v2s if that's possible :S

Idk the details of when the first FG tournaments started popping up, but the core of competitive FGs started in the arcades.