Snapfox

For those still doubting the switch to H3

While I think its generally useless to prognosticate on what future games will be like, I have serious doubts that Destiny will satisfy competitive players; at least those who think you have to have equal starts and a generally bare bones game.  Bungie has made it clear that in Destiny your character will be highly customizable and that you will use the same character in coop and competitive.  The characters are separated into classes and even the weapons have skill trees.  Now I suppose they could punt on trying to balance all this (and if you've ever played any mmo's you'll know the endless rounds of balancing that take place as players continually find some new build that ends up dominating all other builds, which then leads to nerfs, rage, experiment to find the next exploitable build, lather rinse repeat.) by just matching players that have the same builds/gear, but I highly doubt it.  So, you're going to be left with 1) character classes w/ progression; 2) load outs; and 3) progression trees for weapons at least.  Not to mention sprint and ADS.  I personally don't believe Bungie cares too much about the competitive seen because it's too small and filled with too many malcontents.  I'd rather have 10,000 Betty's playing my game than 1 pro - they've even said they want anyone to just be able to pick up a controller and play Destiny.  I've tried introducing new players to H4 and even though most of you think that's not a competitive game it actually isn't very accessible to new players (people on these boards are too good to even notice probably, but to new people on H4 the PODs are a disaster because experienced players just rush the initial powers, use those to slaughter which leads to quick PODS and then they just continue steam roll the H out of new players - PODs actually hurt new players at the introductory level of skill).  That said, just because Destiny has all these things doesn't mean that some group of players won't play it competitively (like Smash Brothers Melee, which was supposed to be a party game for everyone).

• Upvote (+1) 2

If H5 doesn't do well, competitive FPS will be exactly where it is currently - fine and slowly on the rise. 

I disagree with this. Competitive shooting died with the classic arena shooter. CS is not what it used to be, no other squad shooters besides BlOps are on any tournament capacity, Quake and derivative types of shooters are pretty much gone, third-person shooters like Gears of War never stuck, and Halo is on death's door. Shooter tournaments are in a down place right now. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

343 will lose all interest in the competitive community if the H4 tournaments stop. Also we lose their support completely.

They need us and we need them.

They need us and we need them.

"we" never needed 343. AGL could have ran Halo 3 events all year. We just might not have got H4GC. 

You can say that "we" don't need 343 and boy that feels good but in reality 343 is the only hope Halo has of ever reaching anything like MLG 2007-9.  AGL tournaments also can't compare to what 343 can pull off in terms of production value and exposure.  343's Halo 4 GC made AGL look like a garage band (which is not to say that garage bands can't produce something enjoyable).  If 343 said they were hosting a Halo 4 tournament tomorrow pros would come flocking back like pigeons to a bread crumb party.

You can say that "we" don't need 343 and boy that feels good but in reality 343 is the only hope Halo has of ever reaching anything like MLG 2007-9. AGL tournaments also can't compare to what 343 can pull off in terms of production value and exposure. 343's Halo 4 GC made AGL look like a garage band (which is not to say that garage bands can't produce something enjoyable). If 343 said they were hosting a Halo 4 tournament tomorrow pros would come flocking back like pigeons to a bread crumb party.

Mlg halo was on USA in 06 and halo was enormous then as well.

Mlg halo was on USA in 06 and halo was enormous then as well.

MLG lost money from that tho.

"we" never needed 343. AGL could have ran Halo 3 events all year. We just might not have got H4GC. 

We cant play Halo 3 forever. I mean like future games

MLG lost money from that tho.

That wasn't the point of my post. Can you link that though? People always cite that but where are you getting that info?

COD Ghosts Nov 5th! 

CoD, smh... It is a sad state of affairs we are in when this is being championed.

That wasn't the point of my post. Can you link that though? People always cite that but where are you getting that info?

the fact that it didn't get on usa the year after that.  sundance stated the USA venture wasn't a success on that VVV podcast the losers bracket.   don't know which # the podcast was.  you know MLG never made a profit right?  even through "the golden years" MLG was losing money.   

I only doubt the switch to Halo 3 because imo, Reach is a far more competitive game. Once the Games for Gold event is over, Halo 3 won't have many significant advantages on Reach, outside of the nostalgia factor (Which is actually a fair argument for pro-Halo 3 people, considering the number of people who hate Reach no matter the version, which is understandable, but disappointing.)

the fact that it didn't get on usa the year after that.  sundance stated the USA venture wasn't a success on that VVV podcast the losers bracket.   don't know which # the podcast was.  you know MLG never made a profit right?  even through "the golden years" MLG was losing money.   

I know that because a bunch of kids on forums say that. I'm not being a dick but none of those people have seen MLG's financial history so I'm just wondering if anyone has any evidence?

I know that because a bunch of kids on forums say that. I'm not being a dick but none of those people have seen MLG's financial history so I'm just wondering if anyone has any evidence?

Adam said it during a live stream. MLG was pushing even until Starcraft.

BF4, CoD Ghosts, Destiny, and Titanfall.

Doesn't matter if we play Halo CE,2,3,reach, or 4.

Halo is on its way out. 343 did too little too late to help Halo.

• Downvote (-1) 1

How was mlg able to arrange all these halo events for so many years if it was losing money? Makes no sense.

How was mlg able to arrange all these halo events for so many years if it was losing money? Makes no sense.

. aquiring 50 million through venture capital. people believe in the mlg so they invest. Hoping that in the years down jt will become huge and make lots of money.

did you even read my post. Sundance himself has said that. Adam has said that. Hosting events costs alot of money. halo team pass sales don't even cover a significant amount. Adam even said halo was never a stream juggernaut.

343 Industries and Microsoft Studios need to revamp Halo 2 like Annaversry. The best years of halo event wise were from H2 & H3.