Sign in to follow this  
Virulent Venom

"CoD players aren't hardcore gamers"

Well, this title may not be what you think...Check out this article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/21/call-of-duty-players-arent-hardcore-gamers-says-infinity-ward

"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say; They aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night. And those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform. So I think not only will we continue to engage with that existing player base, but we'll take next gen and see how far we can go with it." - executive producer Mark Rubin (Infinity Ward) on if the next gen will have an impact on CoD's audience.

And now that I think about it, that's exactly how Halo was for many people once upon a time.

This is exactly what's wrong with gaming nowadays. And Halo, and pretty much every other company/game is trying to follow suit.

"They aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night. And those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform. So I think not only will we continue to engage with that existing player base, but we'll take next gen and see how far we can go with it.

FAIL.

And those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform.

This assumption is the exact problem, paraphrased "it doesn't matter what we make, just slap call of duty on it and people are zombies to resist it"

This type of complacency is what kills franchises.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward has suggested that the people most engaged with the franchise aren't really gamers at all, as they don't play any titles that aren't affiliated with the series.

WHY DONT DEVS LIKE 343 GET THIS? Devs cater their games to the "Cod audience" in hope of getting a piece of that pie but dont realize they are setting themselves up for failure by doing this as most cod gamers are casuals who just buy cod every year for something entertaining to play once in awhile. Crysis 2 and H4 are prime examples of why catering to the cod audience over your core is not a good idea.

Hardcore gamer to me means you play multiple titles and dont just play the giant blockbuster franchises that you see advertised on TV. If you just play one franchise frequently(cod in this example) you are a " hardcore CoD gamer" not a hardcore gamer.

WHY DONT DEVS LIKE 343 GET THIS? Devs cater their games to the "Cod audience" in hope of getting a piece of that pie but dont realize they are setting themselves up for failure by doing this as most cod gamers are casuals who just buy cod every year for something entertaining to play once in awhile. Crysis 2 and H4 are prime examples of why catering to the cod audience over your core is not a good idea.

Hardcore gamer to me means you play multiple titles and dont just play the giant blockbuster franchises that you see advertised on TV. If you just play one franchise frequently(cod in this example) you are a " hardcore CoD gamer" not a hardcore gamer.

343: hey guys lets make a game like CoD maybe capture ppl from that game and bring them to Halo.

Halo Fans: Hey i like playing something completely different than CoD thats why i play Halo, and not CoD. Ooops this games plays like CoD but CoD does it's elements better i might as well play CoD cause this game is garbage and nothing like Halo.

343: Damnit maybe next time.

• Upvote (+1) 1