CyReN

Call of Duty Discussion

Why are people saying MLG shut UMG down?

UMG got shut down. I'm not actually sure there is any evidence that MLG did it. 

^ There are some guys on twitter pretty confident they did. Pretty idiotic to start blaming MLG without proof. Some pros jumping in on it too. Makes the community look bad if this is just a misunderstanding.

I think people are assuming that because it's on the same weekend as MLG it must have been them.

What happened did sundance pull out his trusty poison dagger and murder UMG or was it that UMG tried to sneak around the contract between Activision and MLG?

I got confirmation from someone at the event just now.

Pretty un real.

Details?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Details?

Obviously it could be false - but since it was from someone I trust / would 100 percent know what is going on.. I am going to assume its correct.

I think MLG has some kind of exclusive rights to stream CoD tournaments - and it looks like they pulled some kind of power move on UMG forcing them to shut down.'  This was also a charity event for UMG where they were donating all ad revenue to a good cause.

Sundance said "he doesnt have the power to shut down CoD, Activision does and that he didnt do it"  While this may be technically true that he didnt "pull the trigger"  He more than likely made the call to someone at Activision who did pull the trigger.. that would be my guess.

Wow that sucks. I was looking forward to getting off work and seeing the gandhi/maven combo break into cod.......

Obviously is could be false - but since it was from someone I trust / would 100 percent know what is going on.. I am going to assume its correct.

I think MLG has some kind of exclusive rights to stream CoD tournaments - and it looks like they pulled some kind of power move on UMG forcing them to shut down.' This was also a charity event for UMG where they were donating all ad revenue to a good cause.

Sundance said "he doesnt have the power to shut down CoD, Activision does and that he didnt do it" While this may be technically true that he didnt "pull the trigger" He more than likely made the call to someone at Activision who did pull the trigger.. that would be my guess.

Oh. That sucks if true.

Sundance is willing to match donations... I really have a hard time believing this, and does a guy at UMG REALLY know what happened. Just looks like everyone jumped to conclusions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just thought of this VG can do this to AGL as well since they are in contract with 343 and Microsoft. Also I smell something rotten..

Sundance is willing to match donations... I really have a hard time believing this, and does a guy at UMG REALLY know what happened. Just looks like everyone jumped to conclusions.

Easy to donate for sins you have done to mask the guilt.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there any proof or...? Is there some secret that no one knows about? I'm not saying this did or didn't happen but...

Him donating is a good PR move 

If people actually think Sundance or MLG would shut down a CoD tournament steam for charity they need to just.....I don't even know man. That's just a new level of stupidity.

i think we all knew what was going to happen as soon as MLG announced the event for the same weekend as UMG....

Sundance's tweets are pure gold. He is firing right back at the community. Love the fact that he is willing to match donations and simultaneously took a shot at UMG by insulting the amount they can generate from ad revenue LOL. And it may turn out that MLG had nothing to do with it. (perhaps activision? - though even that doesn't make sense) 

https://twitter.com/OpTic_NaDeSHoT/statuses/391397797313781760

:kappa:  :kappa:  :kappa: :kappa:  

There's some inside info that I must not be getting. Or everyone is trolling.

Here is how I am seeing it.  Minus the confirmation I got from a source at the event.

1. UMG has run CoD events for a long time, without running into this issue.

2. UMG and MLG is happening on the same weekend. (now)

3.  UMG is mysteriously forced to SHUT DOWN their tournament for the first time EVER during the same weekend as MLG

MLG is holding a qualifier event while UMG is holding a good sized event with well known teams that would essentially probably cut MLG's viewership in half ( if they were allowed to operate)

It was a good powerplay by MLG to sort of "Flex" their Corporate muscles - but at the same time UMG is backed by the community 100 percent and it was also a charity event so it is not looking good as far as reputation is concerned. 

EDIT: https://twitter.com/GoldenboyFTW/status/391420913641476096

• Upvote (+1) 2

PLOT TWIST : 

UMG knew that by MLG announcing that they had an event the same weekend, so they plotted this whole thing to make MLG look bad and try to bring them down... UMG i applaud you . super genius