Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

Pick a broken map and fix it for competitive play.

You can change whatever you feel is necessary to make it good. Just be specific.

Derelict: rockets to 2 minutes from 30 seconds, move them bottom mid.

Colossus: Static snipe spawn, adjust player spawns to eliminate the notorious spawn trap. I'd like to see how CTF would play with the bridge in the middle, too.

Ascension: Static snipe and rocket spawns, no banshee, maybe a mancannon from banshee to small tower and another from magnum to big tower, just to provide a third way into both.

Gemini: have those top balconies that you can port up to be able to see, shoot, and drop down outside as well. Like, just open up that wall that is to your back as you port through and extend the balcony outside.

Isolation: Remove the underground bases but leave the tunnels. More cover top mid in the field.

I'll add more as they come to me. What do you guys think? Is there a map that you would have liked if it weren't for one stupid thing?

Skyline: Scale it up, make both sides equal, remove the lifts, and get rid of the giant pillar in the middle.

Epitaph: More ways to move outside, no shield doors, wider doors.

Derelict: 2-minute Rockets, Camo and Health Pack swapped, at least one more way to the top on either side, and less lazy cover.

Wizard: Symmetrical weapon spawns, no more having 4 powerups.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know about broken things, but here are some improvements that I would like to try. Don't know if any of them would actually improve the game though.

Halo 1: 

Derelict:

-Camo bottom mid

-Rockets on 2:00

-Change the teleporters into ramps

-Make it possible to jump off some of the lazy cover to top mid

-Make it possible to pick up rockets through the floor

Damnation:

-Add a ladder in shotgun

-Make lilipad a little safer

-Put a teleporter from Blue to somewhere on the map so it isn't a deathtrap (maybe shotgun?)

HeH:

-Add a ladder from bottom needler to top needler

-Move OS to Red corner opposite Camo

-Add a way to get from blue shotty to PR bridge without a nade jump

Wizard: 

-Put one OS and one camo on the map on opposite sides of the map

-Place plasma rifle and shotgun on the plats that don't have powerups

-Replace the base ladders with ramps that are safer to get up

-Make camo 90s like RR

Prisoner:

-Turn some of the top spawns so that they face OS rather than away from OS

-Allow some sort of movement option from Bottom blue ramp to plasma rifle (other than the nade jump)

Longest:

-Scale the map on both horizontal axis by like 20% so that it isn't so cramped.

-Make it where you can't walk between both halves of bottom mid and close the crack between powerups (getting both powerups is too easy for such a small map)

-Remove nade pit spawn

Battle Canyon:

-Make the ladders ramps like in H2

-Swap OS and Camo

-Move the tree by camo over so you can walk around it

-Make it easier to walk up the arch

Halo 2:

(across the board- make everything static spawns and weapons nadable)

Lockout: 

-Put Camo at sword on 90s timer

-Make it possible to nade sniper to BR tower/Blue lift

Beaver Creek:

-Make the arch not spawn in CTF

-Have a snipe spawn on each ramp in CTF

-Make it possible to do nade tricks like Battle canyon

Sanctuary:

-Make the dance floor ring 3 slightly larger

-Add rockets bottom middle

-Make it possible to nade rockets to either bon

Warlock: 

-Replace lifts for ramps

-Make camo 1:00 rather than 1:10

Midship: 

-Make the crates unable to move

Halo 3: 

Across the board fix teleporters and dirty weapons

Guardian

-Spawn snipe at bottom mid so that there is actually a fight over it. 

-Make S1-S2 a more feasible jump

-Make it possible to nade snipe to gold/green/glass

Construct:

-Swap Rockets and Snipe

-Put Teleporter from bottom hill to sword back (it was like this in the beta)

-Make it possible to nade down snipe

Pit:

-Add another path under training

-Make it possible to nade rockets out of green

-Make it possible to nade snipe to yourself from sword/training

Narrows:

-Add a teleporter that takes you from back cannon area to top mid (opposite lift side) 

-Add a camo to each side that spawns brute shot

-Make it possible to nade rockets to yourself

-Make the bottom area larger and more feasible to cross. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Sword Base:

• Put all blue spawns at bottom yellow
  • Put all red spawns at top yellow
  • Red team spawns with shotguns
  • Everywhere else besides top and bottom yellow should be blocked off with kill barriers
  • Put a shield at the bottom of the lift to prevent blue team from throwing nades up there
  • Give red team Armor Lock
  • Blue team should spawn with rockets
  • Players should respawn instantly 
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Solace: play it sidways, block off bottom, block off red base. I've done it, it plays pretty well. No teleporters either. Solace slice at nashville wasn't the best use of that map.

Exile: no gauss no tank no beam rifle no incinerator cannon return flags to their original locations

Landfall: no rockets, move both flags slightly so neither flag is down low or in a base (I hate when maps have CTF and one team has their flag in a base and the other teams flag is in the open)

Pitfall: replace snipers on map at S1 with lightrifles, block off lift and drop down in sword room, move rockets to green hall, place forge pieces at training including banana to allow to jump up as in h3

Daybreak: remove the banshee, it breaks that map 

Dispatch: change 2x snipers to 1 sniper rifle at gold sticks and move OS to green sticks

• Upvote (+1) 3

The Cage.
FIX: Burn it with fire.

Dispatch:
FIX: Burn it with even more fire.

Sword Base:
FIX: Get Scorpion and make it 'Get over here!' to the flaming depths of hell. 

The end.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sword Base:

• Put all blue spawns at bottom yellow
  • Put all red spawns at top yellow
  • Red team spawns with shotguns
  • Everywhere else besides top and bottom yellow should be blocked off with kill barriers
  • Put a shield at the bottom of the lift to prevent blue team from throwing nades up there
  • Give red team Armor Lock
  • Blue team should spawn with rockets
  • Players should respawn instantly 

Nice try undercover Lead MP Designer at 343.

• Upvote (+1) 5

What do you guys think about this:

The Pit. Instead of sword room, make it sword tower. Raise it up so it's as tall as the snipe towers. Now remove all the outer walls. Now the map has a neutral power position. Better or worse?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Pit. Instead of sword room, make it sword tower. Raise it up so it's as tall as the snipe towers. Now remove all the outer walls. Now the map has a neutral power position. Better or worse?

This is a popular idea for the pit. Unfortunately, I think it would cause more problems than it solves. Opening up Sword, even if it's raised, creates a virtual no-man's land there (where before, it was one of the safest ways to cross the map). The other ways I've seen suggested are: create another route across the middle that runs underneath green, OR alter green/long in such a way that creates a power position greater than sword/snipe (this has the added benefit of blocking the 2nd br to opponents needles LOS that makes pushing long hall much more difficult). Since the "basement" idea is incredibly popular (with good reason) and has already been done to a degree, I'll take a stab at the "Camo tower" idea.

This is the general layout of Camo/long/dark hall. As you can see, you can pretty much lock down both entrances to long hall by sitting on needle ramp with a sniper. This makes pushing through long hall incredibly risky if you know the other team has snipe. Also, even though it is one of the highest points on the map, it has extremely poor lines of sight to the rest of the map.

temporary_zpsd5627700.jpg

I'm going to change a few things to make this hallway behave like a power position. First I added a ramp from needle wall to long hall, raising the elevation of long hall, forcing players to use a jump shortcut to go from 2nd to camo, and blocking the problematic line of sight I discussed earlier. Second I increased the size of the hallway itself (it's more like a platform now), this made our new ramp flow a little better into camo, opened up the lines of sight from our new tower to the rest of the map, and will make it a little easier to avoid grenades. Finally, I adjusted needle ramp a little to make it flow better with the new changes.

temporary_zpsea2f47a5.jpg

It's not perfect, for example one could argue that camo is no a bit too spacious, but it fixes a big problem spot and creates a nice power position without the need to alter the rest of the map.

PS: Yes the pics are shitty phone pics, deal with it :p

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think Epitaph would be a pretty cool comp map if it was symmetrical or maybe not. idk

It basically is already.

EpitaphHeatMap.jpg

Blackout:

Remove window.

Tada.

Didn't someone make a forge variant with the window removed?  Or some other kind of work around?

blown-mind-explosion-gif.gif

It basically is already.

EpitaphHeatMap.jpg

I meant like the outer walk ways and such. Cut it in half down the middle and flip the left side. :)