Sign in to follow this  
TTExoduseli

The Death of Forge World

1 multiplayer map = 1 map

1 Forge map = infinite maps

But-t-t-t-t-t-t... SANDTARP

Dev-built maps will always have much higher potential than Forge maps, obviously. 

That would matter if the devs knew how to build a fucking map. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

DLC maps are just as much to blame for the lessening map quality as the devs are, H2+H3 had :goat:  DLC map packs like every DLC map in H2 was gold. I cant even name the DLC map packs in HR+H4 because of how irrelevant they are.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I say no because we have gotten some amazing forge maps from some of the most talented map makers in this community why take it out and hurt those people (aPK comes to mind) and ruin it. The thought of just using in game maps only might just make everyone bored quicker. Even tho some forge maps lag and need split screen to be used for LANS it still is better then waiting for a DLC map to drop when it can take someone who is skilled and is known to make maps to pump them out quickly and they can be tested and possible used? Or am I wrong on this thought.

It also stands to reason that Halo 5/Halo 2 Anniversaries Forge Editors will be much more advanced and useful for those who enjoy designing. I am hopeful Forge will be more like actual developer map tools and Project Spark for instance allowing much more freedom and better results, and I do not think frame rate will be such a issue either due to improved technology and processing power.

Forge is simply very useful, it allows even On-Disc developer maps to be tweaked and improved, and that is the purpose it began with in Halo 3 before Sandbox and Foundry released and expanded its abilities further for players.

343 was responsible for the on-disc developer maps, while Certain Affinity was in charge of Forge environments. It isn't correct to blame Forge for anything related to what ships with the game when there is 2 separate developers and teams doing the projects independently of one another. For the Map Packs Crimson & Castle, 343 designed the layouts, basics of the maps, while Certain Affinity applied aesthetics and the art with the help of Concept Artists initial ideas of the environment as well as handling the testing of the maps.

Certain Affinity would go further as well and provide Forge palettes for the Map Pack maps as well so that players could tweak them as they liked.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would not be willing to trade any ability to create a level for the playlists in exchange for a whole disc full of maps.

That being said, if the population fails to return and remain with Halo 5, I have a backup plan... Far Cry 3... I have begun playing it again in hopes that I can appreciate the game play.

Gosh you gotta love their level editor and their graphics engine... You can see the slope of the beach dive deep down into the water, even over 20 feet deep. You can swim in the water. You can drive a boat or a jet ski on the water... things that we were told are simply too heavy in their physics to support in Halo.

In retrospect, if Halo 5 on XB1 doesn't provide at least the same capabilities that Far Cry 3 on XB360 does today, then there really is something wrong.

Did you not learn from Halo 4? You should NEVER REMOVE CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS THAT ARE INTEGRAL TO USER-CREATED CONTENT

343 has shown over and over than their designers are wanting to scrap the whole Arena aspect of Halo. That means keeping sprint. Keeping sprint means huge ass maps. Huge ass maps means that it's unreasonable not to be scoped in 66.7% of your battles, and that means descope shouldn't return.

Knowing that, we cannot trust them with something as fundamental as the whole mapset.

We need more Forge environments. Multiple biomes with fitting themes (and no excessive frame rate issues please?). If that's too hard, just bring back the boring ass Reach blocks. I'll take that over aesthetics that hinder performance.

It can't be that hard. Foundry and Sandbox both did it so well. While I do understand that the blocks weren't designed to clip back then, multiple maps used the technique with no issues whatsoever.

• Upvote (+1) 2

DLC maps are just as much to blame for the lessening map quality as the devs are, H2+H3 had :goat:  DLC map packs like every DLC map in H2 was gold. I cant even name the DLC map packs in HR+H4 because of how irrelevant they are.

Gemini_tree.gif

Backwash.jpg

Gemini_tree.gif

Changes nothing to the fact that 95% of the people here cannot name this map without looking it up.

902203f1685eac74092300ac72fa31ac.png

I'll pick both over this anyway.

Changes nothing to the fact that 95% of the people here cannot name this map without looking it up.

1000px-Halo_4_Castle_Map_Pack_Outcast_1.

Outcast.

They need to just allow forgers to change the environment, color palette, etc. The reason people got bored of Forge World in Reach, is because everything was so gray. Even just allowing the forgers to change the color of pieces they used, so everything wasn't so gray, would have made it better. 

Playing forged maps is fun, but seeing the same environments every single game is not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gemini and Backwash

I. AM .THE FIVE-POINT-OH PERCENT!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Always imagined a Backwash with a slightly larger more open Tower and actual Red and Blue bases, maybe its time to Forge something similar for lulz.

• Upvote (+1) 1

...343 has shown over and over than their designers are wanting to scrap the whole Arena aspect of Halo. That means keeping sprint.... huge ass maps....

This is worth a thread of its own, really...

If 343i wants to move Halo away from Arena game play, then how would you characterize or describe the game play they are moving Halo toward?

Any more importantly, why?

Like many have said. If I know that they are going to make good maps, I would be willing to give up Forge World. I am not a Forger and prefer to use disc maps instead of Forge maps for multiple reasons. However, I do tend to like many forge world maps and I know that it is a MASSIVE part of the Halo community now, and for good reason. The thing that I don't like is that the developers (especially Bungie with Reach) seemed to slack off in map designs because they though that forgers would make up for it. For the bulk of the community, you cannot make up for lacking maps in almost any way I think.

So, in my (and I would assume everyone else's) ideal world, You could keep forge world while also having many great maps. However, if I have to choose, I guess I would go with more maps... lesser of two evils imo.

This is worth a thread of its own, really...

If 343i wants to move Halo away from Arena game play, then how would you characterize or describe the game play they are moving Halo toward?

Any more importantly, why?

I think it's vaguely referred to as a "generic modern shooter"; I.E. a war simulation rather than the actual "2 men enter the arena, the better man leaves" concept Bungie was so fond of. 

If you look at the lore behind the War Games / Infinity, it also makes sense. That's what CoD is. Big maps where the main focus is the element of surprise and being unpredictable, as opposed to brute forcing your way to victory with raw skill (movement, aiming, superior situational analysis and reaction time) and using coordination with teammates to overpower your opponents.

To be fair, that, is how FPSes have been forever. What 343 is pushing Halo to become is just another traditional shooter, stripping it away from its Arena roots and what made it stand out in the first place. Instead of being a competitive Arena shooter, it's just a boring class-based / rock-paper-scissors kind of thing. You catch someone off guard, it's your win. You catch someone with an advantageous class build versus theirs, it's your win again. You catch a better power weapon from the roulette, yours again.

I can't quite coin a term for it, but that's the gist of it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think it's vaguely referred to as a "generic modern shooter"; I.E. a war simulation rather than the actual "2 men enter the arena, the better man leaves" concept Bungie was so fond of. 

If you look at the lore behind the War Games / Infinity, it also makes sense. That's what CoD is. Big maps where the main focus is the element of surprise and being unpredictable, as opposed to brute forcing your way to victory with raw skill (movement, aiming, superior situational analysis and reaction time) and using coordination with teammates to overpower your opponents.

To be fair, that, is how FPSes have been forever. What 343 is pushing Halo to become is just another traditional shooter, stripping it away from its Arena roots and what made it stand out in the first place. Instead of being a competitive Arena shooter, it's just a boring class-based / rock-paper-scissors kind of thing. You catch someone off guard, it's your win. You catch someone with an advantageous class build versus theirs, it's your win again. You catch a better power weapon from the roulette, yours again.

I can't quite coin a term for it, but that's the gist of it.

Fair enough, but when they make it insta kill then it really is just another Far Cry 3 or CoD... Then I will have no reason to stick with forging and will move on to Far Cry 3's editor which is FAR SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY...

What if all Maps and Forge maps were in Halo 5?
Including the best and the worst maps ever? Hypothetically.

Would we complain? would it be enough? would the community be satisfied? would 343 did it right? Wait for the next Halo in the channel: GoBeyondEnt... DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN. 

What if all Maps and Forge maps were in Halo 5?

Including the best and the worst maps ever? Hypothetically.

Would we complain? would it be enough? would the community be satisfied? would 343 did it right? Wait for the next Halo in the channel: GoBeyondEnt... DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN. 

Unless it played like every Halo game at the same time, it would be an awful experience. Remakes simply don't work. Ever.

What if Halo 5 for XB1 had the ability to swim, backstroke, dive under the water, and go deep (like XBOX 360 Far Cry 3) and had the ability to use a jet ski (like XBOX 360 Far Cry 3) and allowed you to alter the terrain in geometry, texture, and weather (like XBOX 360 Far Cry 3) and let you see below the water the reef, and the sharks and fish (like XBOX 360 Far Cry 3) and had flies and insects randomly moving about (like XBOX 360 Far Cry 3) and...

sigh...

The more I play with Far Cry 3 level editor, the more I wonder why Halo 4 has such a limited graphics engine to begin with?

902203f1685eac74092300ac72fa31ac.png

I really enjoyed Gemini's aesthetics, just not the gameplay.