Sign in to follow this  
DRAC0N1K

I have a feeling that 343 will keep Infinity Settings for next Halo

MLG wont run Halo 3 / Reach unless a huge cult following is associated with those games - Devs pay MLG to host their game, (Hence why you see a lot of weird games every once in a while on the circuit) - They wont run it out of pocket, and do you really think 343 / Microsoft would pay to host a 6+ year old Halo title when they are trying to push their new one?! No way haha.

we're fucked if we get halo 4.5 next year....good lord.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All I need to know is that if I need a Perk or whatever.. to pick up grenades off the ground for god sakes then I am done. All these perks nearly are things that were natural Spartan/Elite abilities in previous games, Perks need to gtfo. The best part and point in previous games was that everyone got to be powerful and well trained super soldiers that were all on even footing and fun to play as especially.

We also never had to deal with shit like people ejecting from destroyed vehicles either in an attempt to copy and paste a Titanfall feature and worse in Halo 4, smh.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's okay.  They have Neighbor now.  We're all saved.  :)

You realize he probably has little to no say about what actually goes in the game right?

Yeah I was trying to be sarcastic in the reference that Bravo was hired and look how H4 turned out :P

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah I was trying to be sarcastic in the reference that Bravo was hired and look how H4 turned out :P

Bravo was hired after H4 launched...

Besides, the game did start to make decent changes in the right direction after he came in, whether or not he had any influence in that, I don't know. He was obviously hired because he knows Halo inside and out so I would assume his opinions are valued to some degree. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Take out sprint and AA's altogether, hitscan 4 shot BR like halo 2, no dmr, bring back all the classic halo maps, lockout, narrows, the pit etc, bring back the original medals

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Besides, the game did start to make decent changes in the right direction after he came in, whether or not he had any influence in that, I don't know. He was obviously hired because he knows Halo inside and out so I would assume his opinions are valued to some degree. 

Bravo was usually pretty open to change though right? I mean he was never someone who was adamantaly against a lot of the changes, was he? I don't remember to be honest. I guess I think if Neighbor does get to have his opinion heard he may be more likely to voice his displeasure. Not that it would help..

Bravo was usually pretty open to change though right? I mean he was never someone who was adamantaly against a lot of the changes, was he? I don't remember to be honest. I guess I think if Neighbor does get to have his opinion heard he may be more likely to voice his displeasure. Not that it would help..

Well, when you work for a company like 343 and the position you're hired in isn't exactly that "big" or "important" as some of the other higher ups, you can't really go against the grain and start telling everyone this, this and this should be changed. I really have no idea how much influence he has there but I would hope he has some because he knows how competitive Halo should play as opposed to some others that work there. 

I can't see them making Halo 4.5. That doesn't make sense. They would have to be egomaniacal/really fucking stupid to continue down this direction

I think H5 is gonna be amazing and I am especially excited for servers.

We got to admit  important people got in 343 after H4's release, whether they will do something or not... whether people know it or don't care... their names are somehow important to remember.

Bravo and Neighbor represent the community coming from the competitive scene, while Quinn delHoyo is one of the important members who did Gears of War 3's matchmaking (The best in the series)

and Josh Menke who successfully did 2 amazing ranks in 2 totally different games.

If we had them MONTHS before Halo 4's release, we probably would have a better, satisfactory, more balanced, and more competitive game. IMO.

At least one of them should do anything for competitive Halo. I mean come on...

• Upvote (+1) 1

MLG wont run Halo 3 / Reach unless a huge cult following is associated with those games - Devs pay MLG to host their game, (Hence why you see a lot of weird games every once in a while on the circuit) - They wont run it out of pocket, and do you really think 343 / Microsoft would pay to host a 6+ year old Halo title when they are trying to push their new one?! No way haha.

Hence why I still have more hope in Destiny PvP than the next Halo game...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone just needs to make a video and let everyone know, that regardless of 343's plan to put in settings for the competitive community, there main focus, will and always will be to sell copies and make money off the franchise by making a game that EVERYONE will like. And a majority of Halo, like the random stuff. Sorry. Truth hurts. Now, let that sink in, and do your best to make the best of what you can for competitive Halo based on that, or just do something else. That's just how it works in the gaming industry, and with esports in general with these types of developers. Atleast they acknowledge us, most communities don't even get that.

That's just not true. A majority of Halo does not like the random stuff, nor having classes. People like starting equal, knowing what to expect from your opponent based on their skill level, having small maps with constant action, or big ones with vehicles and more power weapons.

They like being able to prove themselves when they're in the zone, by going for competitive ranks, or just coming home from work and chilling in social with friends, not giving a fuck about what the outcome is. Yet, if you look at Halo 3, the progression system was so good that there was ALWAYS an incentive to win / not quit. It all adds up for the EXP.

During the weekend, everyone would get on to have a chance at getting an extra / rare Double EXP 50 (on top of super competitive MM games and a chance at improving your record) or just have a blast in Rocket Race for hours at a time. Bungie's formula appealed to everyone. The numbers don't lie. Years into Halo 3, the game still pulled similar amounts of people to what Halo 4 did around launch.

The Bungie Day playlist that gave Recon had well over 100k people searching in it at once, and that was like in 2009.

EDIT: Here, have some fucking proof.

9c198767a5bc56bd0ac16a651755c945.png

Trust me. Halo 3 would have been HANDS DOWN the best Halo game, save some incredible CE / 2 maps, but the netcode is bad. CE can't compare because it wasn't online. H2 had a lot of standbying, and it was the easiest thing to do.

You wanna sell copies? Then go back to what works. Admit mistakes. 343 never acknowledged their mistakes, all they've ever said is "we can't do this because..." and kept doing their own shit.

For the millionth time, competitive Halo can and has been PLAYED FOR FUN, but casual dumbed down as crap redefined a la 343 Halo CANNOT and will NEVER be competitive. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

That's just not true. A majority of Halo does not like the random stuff, nor having classes. People like starting equal, knowing what to expect from your opponent based on their skill level, having small maps with constant action, or big ones with vehicles and more power weapons.

They like being able to prove themselves when they're in the zone, by going for competitive ranks, or just coming home from work and chilling in social with friends, not giving a fuck about what the outcome is. Yet, if you look at Halo 3, the progression system was so good that there was ALWAYS an incentive to win / not quit. It all adds up for the EXP.

During the weekend, everyone would get on to have a chance at getting an extra / rare Double EXP 50 (on top of super competitive MM games and a chance at improving your record) or just have a blast in Rocket Race for hours at a time. Bungie's formula appealed to everyone. The numbers don't lie. Years into Halo 3, the game still pulled similar amounts of people to what Halo 4 did around launch.

The Bungie Day playlist that gave Recon had well over 100k people searching in it at once, and that was like in 2009.

Trust me. Halo 3 would have been HANDS DOWN the best Halo game, save some incredible CE / 2 maps, but the netcode is bad. CE can't compare because it wasn't online. H2 had a lot of standbying, and it was the easiest thing to do.

You wanna sell copies? Then go back to what works. Admit mistakes. 343 never acknowledged their mistakes, all they've ever said is "we can't do this because..." and kept doing their own shit.

For the millionth time, competitive Halo can and has been PLAYED FOR FUN, but casual dumbed down as crap redefined a la 343 Halo CANNOT and will NEVER be competitive. 

The point that legitlegend and others MISS in that facile argument is that it is crystal clear that thus far, it does not matter how 343i designs Halo, it will sell because it's Halo. 

The only reason for designing a game that is actually fun to play over the long term beyond keeping up appearances for trailers, is so people will actually continue playing, the opposite of what has happened now. Thus as we see now, people DO NOT LIKE RANDOM BULL SHIT OR THE POPULATION WOULDN'T BE A COMPLETE JOKE! 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well, when you work for a company like 343 and the position you're hired in isn't exactly that "big" or "important" as some of the other higher ups, you can't really go against the grain and start telling everyone this, this and this should be changed. I really have no idea how much influence he has there but I would hope he has some because he knows how competitive Halo should play as opposed to some others that work there. 

Fun fact:  During Halo Reach Bravo would upload consistent Halo 3 content to his channel.  He knows what a good halo game is IMO, but obviously isnt in a "designer" role at 343.  Plus what you said is very valid.  Do you think upon getting hired he was going to walk into what is essentially his dream job and start GUNNING everyone in the studio to change everything? Lmao of course not that would be career suicide. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The point that legitlegend and others MISS in that facile argument is that it is crystal clear that thus far, it does not matter how 343i designs Halo, it will sell because it's Halo. 

The only reason for designing a game that is actually fun to play over the long term beyond keeping up appearances for trailers, is so people will actually continue playing, the opposite of what has happened now. Thus as we see now, people DO NOT LIKE RANDOM BULL SHIT OR THE POPULATION WOULDN'T BE A COMPLETE JOKE! 

Unfortunately, this will only work for so many releases. 343 is fucking up Xbox One console sales whether they realize it or not. Halo was the flagship game for a lot of people. If the game keeps being shit, the population and sales will keep dropping. It's showing in the DLC sales. All the DLC playlists kept being dead and all the special content (armor / weapons / skins) can be modded.

I know I always bought an Xbox for Halo alone (and Elder Scrolls back then). 343 has to bother going past the initial sales. It's an embarrassing thing to do to milk the series so hard, yet always deliver a bad product.

I know for a fact I'm not buying Xbox One Halo at launch unless it does look fantastic.

I do love the irony in the fact that the answer to Halo's problems is in the COD series and to some extent BF, just not in the way that Reach/H4 tried to look to those games.

It's clear to see now that I look back on it all. Developers make games in the hopes that one of them finds a following of people who spread the word about this game they are playing and love (Halo 1). That game has a core set of characteristics that people show loyalty and love for and the following grows as word spreads and more people play.

People realize that there is room for improvement in the complimentary features to the core game that they love. Both in game and things like online play, content, theater, dedicated servers, e.t.c. The developer takes the core game that has created this following and builds around it, careful to improve and expand the field of features that can help grow and advertise their game.

This is where Bungie/343i were supposed to learn from games like COD, BF, and the first three Halo games themselves. What COD did for years was produce substandard console FPS games that had uninspired multiplayer and fairly boring campaign. Then, COD 4 is released. It finds a following of players that like the way this game feels and plays at it's core and that following let's their friends know and boom, the cycle begins. COD folks realize they have something with their core design and they never look back. You'd be forgiven for thinking that every COD game since COD 4 is just the same game with better graphics and some cool new features (league play, spectator mode, you get the idea). But that is exactly the point. They struck gold in the same way that Halo 1 and BF did in that they found a market of players who want to play the game that set the standard while always improving on it's weak points in the sequels. But sticking the games strong points.

The Halo trilogy followed this model to monumental success, making many folks wealthy and millions of gamers happy along the way. The model was flipped on it's head in 2010 and again in 2012. Many of the features that built upon the core game like ranks, theater, clans, leaderboards, e.t.c, were removed, and the CORE of the game was changed. The exact opposite of the model that brought the first three Halo's their success and ironically the success of the games they tried to emulate as well.

TLDR; Halo should have copied from the COD and BF success. Not in terms of core gameplay, in terms of sticking to what has created your following and expanding around it. This is not news to any of my fellow well seasoned Halo nerds. Just felt like expressing it when I saw the title of this thread.

Sorry for grammar errors. Sleep is hard to come by lately.

Wish I could + rep this more than once.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Unfortunately, this will only work for so many releases. 343 is fucking up Xbox One console sales whether they realize it or not. Halo was the flagship game for a lot of people. If the game keeps being shit, the population and sales will keep dropping. It's showing in the DLC sales. All the DLC playlists kept being dead and all the special content (armor / weapons / skins) can be modded.

I know I always bought an Xbox for Halo alone (and Elder Scrolls back then). 343 has to bother going past the initial sales. It's an embarrassing thing to do to milk the series so hard, yet always deliver a bad product.

I know for a fact I'm not buying Xbox One Halo at launch unless it does look fantastic.

Of course, that's why I predicated my statement on it has worked thus far. Meaning that as you point out, it won't work forever and I think Halo 5 will see sales suffer because Xbox one games aren't that great looking and too many people are taking the same wait and see strategy you are.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They can have Infinity settings in Halo 5 if they like..I just want a Legendary playlists section with in game ranks and all the other goodies we've talked about.

If people like Infinity settings thats great, 343 just need to learn that we need 90% of the classic/competitve settings on launch day not six months later. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

TLDR; Halo should have copied from the COD and BF success. Not in terms of core gameplay, in terms of sticking to what has created your following and expanding around it. This is not news to any of my fellow well seasoned Halo nerds. Just felt like expressing it when I saw the title of this thread.

Thank you sir, thank you. 

You realize he probably has little to no say about what actually goes in the game right?

Eh, He's a tester in 343's actual studio, and i'd assume it's an alpha phase that he's testing on. He'd have more say than a tester in the later stages TBH, especially if they're hiring him because he's a pro player. Now a tester in a beta phase will likely just be picking out bugs and have no say.

Thats simply untrue because Halo Reach and Halo 4 each sold several million copies. A lot of the market share has gone to Call of Duty due to it being easier to pick up and play. People don't care for balance and a lot of people do not look up kill times, spawn times or even care who is better or what. People want to feel like they are GOOD at the game. That's different from wanting a balanced game. The only people who care about balance are diehards, and if I was wrong, I'm pretty sure there would've been a lot more uproar on the main forums during launch instead of those who are complaining now who are STILL playing because those numbers are exponentially smaller than launch. The people who buy the game are not always in it for the long haul, and while retention is a problem, a lot of the most famed game types were big team battle and such, and not a lot of people were always into competitive settings or even understood MLG like the core competitive people did.

All you showed is that people want to play for a unique cosmetic. People love that shit, everyone loves rare, unique in game digital content, especially if it's free and all you have to do is play the game. That's why digital distribution has become so big, and why F2P models are becomming more prominent. Please, I love competitive Halo, but I'm not ignorant to what people want and such. A lot of people love the Halo lore, the story and the crazy vehicle, big war-like maps and could care less about the core, balanced competitive settings we like. A lot of the reason Halo was successful, was not purely based on the core game-play, because Halo, in a general sense is still fun for some people, but because people loved the story behind being a badass spartan and love blowing shit up, and taking out their friends online. It's more of a social and cultural phenomenon than anything, that's why Microsoft wants comics, movies, books, etc etc on the franchise. They market it as a whole, not just as a game. It's a flagship franchise, and even they said they want it to be like Star Wars.

• Upvote (+1) 1