Sign in to follow this  
Aphex Twin

Halo 3 v9 settings

The lack of telefragging means the receiver nodes can be blocked indefinitely which messes up the map's flow.

Anyway, I quite like Careh's suggestion of dropping Amplified for Citadel TS, but instead of replacing Onslaught with Citadel KotH I think I'd rather see Guardian Oddball return. In addition I would replace Pit TS with Assembly TS. With the right weapon set I could see that map playing quite nicely.

That's what I thought it was, but didn't want to put that in case I was imagining it lol

Can we just please not have Amplified anymore?  Replace it with Blackout, Cold Storage, or Citadel.

I'd be for Blackout if it didn't play like crap. Citadel I've never played in a competitive sense, so I'd be interested in playing it in customs. Should be on tonight running lobbies off the Beyond tag so look for me.

Team Slayer

Construct

Heretic

Cold Storage

The Pit

Citadel

Multi Flag

Heretic

Narrows

The Pit

Assault Neutral Bomb:

Heretic

Team King

The Pit

Team Oddball

Gaurdian

This is what I changed

Assault Neutral Bomb:

Match options:

Number of Rounds: 1

Score to Win: 3

Round Time limit: 30 Minutes

Player options:

Motion sensor: Off

Suicide Penalty: None

Team Options: 

Team Changing: Off

Respawn Time Modifier: None

Betrayal Penalty: None

Game Options:

Bomb Reset time: 60 sec

Bomb Arm time: 5 sec

Anyone saying Heretic Ball should go back in, it was in v7 and taken out for good reason. The way the ball influenced spawns made spawntrapping the other team way too easy. Walshy was guest casting a game and explained the flaws on stream while predictin spawns with 100% accuracy. It was embarrassing for MLG.

I'd like to see Citadel TS replace Amp TS as well, and maybe even Citadel Flag over Onslaught flag. I agree that both of those maps are supposed to play like midship and they are just redundant and unnecessary.

If v9 happens, I'd want to see Citadel Flag and TS replace Amplified and Onslaught. Especially since Amplified and Onslaught drastically resemble Heretic(disk map and it's what the other two maps are based on).

I had the idea of amplified being taken out then citadel coming in and it seems everyone else on this topic agree. Citadel TS for Amplified TS. And personally I would say remove a CTF for a bomb gametype, I'll take the ghost mentality and say take out onslaught ctf. I personally like onslaught but of the 4 ctf's it seems to be the least favorite and it is a forge map. Then i'd put bomb in the rotation. Idk what map is best for bomb tho.

Citadel was supposed to be in but KC didn't want pros have to learn a whole new map and strats so late in the games life cycle since reach was already around the corner

Edit: we didn't use bomb because there is no option for players to have a warning that the bomb is getting armed. It was also the opposite of h2 and Reach bomb I believe as well so it was an easy bomb version

Slayer:

Narrows

Heretic

Citadel

Construct

CTF:

The Pit

Narrows

Citadel

Heretic

KoTH:

Construct

Citadel

Oddball:

Guardian

This might not be a popular opinion, but if Guardian Ball isn't replaced with a Heretic Ball or a different map I'd at least like to see camo and sniper not spawn for the first two minutes of the game. I guess I'm just a bitch for symmetry, but the start of the game feels weird to me with how the two teams approach those two items from different angles at the start of the game.

Lol Heretic ball is the most boring game type in history of H3 MLG game types. Boring to watch, boring to play.

It's fine the way it is with Camo and Sniper being up at the beginning. It adds more choices to be made. If Camo or sniper wasn't up at the beginning then there wouldn't be a whole lot of reasons to sacrifice a push at lifts at the beginning. It'd just be a stand off instantly.

Blue could just sit and wait for Camo while

Watching top mid and red would just hold down green and sniper tower.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I had the idea of amplified being taken out then citadel coming in and it seems everyone else on this topic agree. Citadel TS for Amplified TS. And personally I would say remove a CTF for a bomb gametype, I'll take the ghost mentality and say take out onslaught ctf. I personally like onslaught but of the 4 ctf's it seems to be the least favorite and it is a forge map. Then i'd put bomb in the rotation. Idk what map is best for bomb tho.

Heretic 

Citadel was supposed to be in but KC didn't want pros have to learn a whole new map and strats so late in the games life cycle since reach was already around the corner

Edit: we didn't use bomb because there is no option for players to have a warning that the bomb is getting armed. It was also the opposite of h2 and Reach bomb I believe as well so it was an easy bomb version

What do you mean an "easy bomb version" like what's the differences besides the warning?

Amplified and Onslaught are so outdated, they should have been replaced by v5 but they just lingered for whatever reason.

Citadel deserved a shot, no question about it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

A lot of people throw KC under the bus with his settings, but can anyone specify what was so bad about KC?

I understand amplify and onslaught concerns, but overall I thought he did a pretty good job. I also was able to LAN with him a couple of times and test the settings so to me it seemed to be high priority to him on getting it right, but that also might skew my view.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Amplified and Onslaught are so outdated, they should have been replaced by v5 but they just lingered for whatever reason.

Citadel deserved a shot, no question about it.

Probably cause Onslaught was exciting as fucked to watch.

This thread makes me better that the forums had little to no say in settings in Halo 3.

Bomb isn't functional in H3 without the notification that the enemy is planting + 10 second respawn. You'd have to reduce respawn to 5 seconds and then it'd just be too hard to score and we'd have games finishing 1-0.

Citadel TS would be a disaster - objective gametypes are really the only viable options on a design like that.

Why are people even suggesting Cold Storage at all? Spawns would be god awful. You'd have to remove the teleporters, but then certain areas would be ridiculously overpowered. It's just not going to work in a 4v4 setting at the high level.

This is the biggest one, and the one that bothers me the most: I'm the biggest naysayer in regards to dumbed-down 2 base 2 tower forge maps like Onslaught and Amplified, but if you think those two maps play even remotely close to Heretic, then you really haven't put much thought into it or just have no idea how either actually plays at those levels. So for those of you citing that as your reason to remove them, you need to think for yourself and not follow the forum hive mind.

I really dislike seeing the same regurgitated, exaggerated, and dramatic principles that have been proposed over the years for each game's settings by forum'ers who probably consider themselves "above" most, when they can't even show that they have the willingness or capability to critically think about these types of things on their own.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 5

This thread makes me better that the forums had little to no say in settings in Halo 3.

Bomb isn't functional in H3 without the notification that the enemy is planting + 10 second respawn. You'd have to reduce respawn to 5 seconds and then it'd just be too hard to score and we'd have games finishing 1-0.

Citadel TS would be a disaster - objective gametypes are really the only viable options on a design like that.

Why are people even suggesting Cold Storage at all? Spawns would be god awful. You'd have to remove the teleporters, but then certain areas would be ridiculously overpowered. It's just not going to work in a 4v4 setting at the high level.

This is the biggest one, and the one that bothers me the most: I'm the biggest naysayer in regards to dumbed-down 2 base 2 tower forge maps like Onslaught and Amplified, but if you think those two maps play even remotely close to Heretic, then you really haven't put much thought into it or just have no idea how either actually plays at those levels. So for those of you citing that as your reason to remove them, you need to think for yourself and not follow the forum hive mind.

I really dislike seeing the same regurgitated, exaggerated, and dramatic principles that have been proposed over the years for each game's settings by forum'ers who probably consider themselves "above" most, when they can't even show that they have the willingness or capability to critically think about these types of things on their own.

Welp I've never been a forum'er so I guess I'll take that wild and inaccurate assertion about me in stride.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Nice job being a part of v5 for H4, glad you were there to help since your opinion is better than the communities. How did that turn out?

I mean you guys put Vertigo TS in...lol

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nice job being a part of v5 for H4, glad you were there to help since your opinion is better than the communities. How did that turn out?

I mean you guys put Vertigo TS in...lol

I didn't have final say in the gametypes. I offered my input and reasoning, and that was the extent of my involvement.

Never said that my opinion is better than the community's. In fact, there are many community members who present opinions and have the ability to deduct reasoning that I wish I could understand. The problem is most people idolize and worship certain principles that have been presented over the years and swear by them, regardless of if they actually can or should be applied to particular discussions, debates, etc.

Sorry you felt the need to take two shots at me.

• Upvote (+1) 3

A lot of people throw KC under the bus with his settings, but can anyone specify what was so bad about KC?

I understand amplify and onslaught concerns, but overall I thought he did a pretty good job. I also was able to LAN with him a couple of times and test the settings so to me it seemed to be high priority to him on getting it right, but that also might skew my view.

it wasnt KC that made the issues for the most part.  The higher up guy (Anakin) was the one who made the final decisions.  He was why Citadel wasn't in, a lot of forge maps in h3/reach didn't go in, no fixed sanc, etc

What do you mean an "easy bomb version" like what's the differences besides the warning?

Basically this is how bomb in h3 worked (from what I remember)

You bring the bomb to the arm site.  Then you have to defend the area for 10 seconds until it plants which makes it so you have 4 people defending the bomb

in H2 you had to have someone on the bomb area for 10 seconds, as soon as the 10 seconds ran out the bomb instantly planted if the player with the bomb was standing in the radius for 10 seconds.  This made it so you only had 3 people defending the bomb

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree about what you had to say about Onslaught and it's the same way I feel about Onslaught vs Midship/Heretic.

From my experiences of playing both I've noticed that top mid is more of a power position than Heretics top mid. Onslaught is a 2 base map while Heretic acts more of a 4 base map in terms of spawns. Because of this and because bottom mid has more cover running the flag bottom mid is actually an option. There are other things to consider as well, but that's just some of the differences.

Why would Citadel TS be a disaster? I don't see it being bad.