Sign in to follow this  
Aphex Twin

Halo 3 v9 settings

Idk what kind of games you are playing bud. Pit TS usually becomes stand offish around the 40-49 mark. (When played at a high level of course)

I was watching MLG best of 2010 and there was a game that ended with 30 kills and less. Also saw a bunch of stand offs, not just in the 40 kill range. The Pit is a stand offish map. Just the way she goes.

Being Random isnt a bad thing, I just have personally never heard of them.  

Pretty much every forge map that's been mentioned is on my filshare. You won't regret getting some games on them. Please don't miss out on good maps because you had never heard of or played them before.

• Upvote (+1) 6

You're thinking of pennance

Nope. This has definitely happened on The Pit more than once. Maybe not online, but during tournaments yes.

Pretty much every forge map that's been mentioned is on my filshare (working on getting Hexogen). You won't regret getting some games on them. Please don't miss out on good maps because you had never heard of or played them before.

Yeah just cause you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it's bad. But I think putting Citadel(an actual disc map or DLC) should be on the top the list.

I don't think I've ever been part of a Pit TS game where it never reached the 50 kill mark in the whole of my 8 year halo 3 MLG playing time, so pit TS is fine in my own opinion

Online play does not equal tournament play. I've seen I happen in tournaments more than once. I think as the years went on people started playing the map more properly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

even the best of 2010 I watched a while ago had 30 kills to end the game.

Y'all have some rose colored glasses of h3 lol

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

even the best of 2010 I watched a while ago had 30 kills to end the game.

Lol just said that too. Yeah The Pit TS is definitely a slower TS game than the rest.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Weapons that you are rewarded for maintaining good aim for the duration of the kill are called automatics and a lot of people hate them =P

The reason most people (should) hate automatics is they tend to also have horrible spread which encourages pray 'n spray tactics. When the gun is pinpoint accurate and requires constant aim to actually finish off enemies (a trademark of Covenant weapons), it's a whole different set of skills. Also, whoever was saying you can't put SB on every map, I'm pretty sure that is wrong. I distinctly recall putting a SB on The Pit, which is definitely a human-based map. I think the weapon limitations are only for starting weapons (the same reason we can't have frag starts on Middy but we can place them as pickups). There's definitely no Carbine spawn on The Pit though, so maybe that weapon is weird for some reason.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think I've ever been part of a Pit TS game where it never reached the 50 kill mark in the whole of my 8 year halo 3 MLG playing time, so pit TS is fine in my own opinion

I only watched highlights of h3 and even I see plenty of pit matches that ended in 30 kills. Maybe playing online is different but on LAN it seems to be a totally different mentality with that map

The reason most people (should) hate automatics is they tend to also have horrible spread which encourages pray 'n spray tactics. When the gun is pinpoint accurate and requires constant aim to actually finish off enemies (a trademark of Covenant weapons), it's a whole different set of skills. Also, whoever was saying you can't put SB on every map, I'm pretty sure that is wrong. I distinctly recall putting a SB on The Pit, which is definitely a human-based map. I think the weapon limitations are only for starting weapons (the same reason we can't have frag starts on Middy but we can place them as pickups). There's definitely no Carbine spawn on The Pit though, so maybe that weapon is weird for some reason.

Certain maps didn't have certain weapons, that's why they were excluded from being chosen as starting weapons.

Unpopular opinion:

I would like to see Isolation tweaked for MLG settings. I know it was tried before, but I think that with its multiple routes and the proper incentives to move around the map (along with added cover in certain areas), it has some potential.

The key is just not to make camping the bases a viable option via power items on the map. I think an extended camo (via the custom powerup -- think of the one on Construct), one 8-bullet sniper per base, neutral rockets and a neutral brute shot would be enough to prevent camping.

Objective will never work on that map for the sole reason that the windows in both bases allow the passing of stuff through it. It made bomb or CTF games last 1 minute and ball would be broken as well.

But for real, what's the point in changing the settings? The playlist cannot be updated. Why not keep it relevant to the actual settings? It allows for meaningful practice.

Don't you remember how the MLG playlist in Reach was always behind in settings, and sometimes the population would drop so low until it was updated? Just leave it how it is. Something that works well doesn't need to be changed.

Sure we all have maps that we find garbage. I think Narrows is the biggest pile of crap with even more emphasis on linear aggression than usual, when that's what the game is all about in the first place. But it doesn't mean it has to go. Amp is also different from Midship. You can spend an entire game almost on a single plane / level to avoid team shots and do amazing. Routes aren't as predictable. You have multiple openings for all the buildings, bases, cover, etc. And believe it or not, but not having stickies makes the biggest difference in the world when anticipating someone.

Onslaught can be the most frustrating map if you have uncoordinated teammates, and it's either you get destroyed for minutes straight or spawn kill the other side over and over. It's not that fun, but it requires massive coordination and it's all about having a good shot. Fun? Not always. Competitive. Very much so.

• Upvote (+1) 4

But for real, what's the point in changing the settings? The playlist cannot be updated. Why not keep it relevant to the actual settings? It allows for meaningful practice.

How often does an actual Halo 3 tournament go down?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I only watched highlights of h3 and even I see plenty of pit matches that ended in 30 kills. Maybe playing online is different but on LAN it seems to be a totally different mentality with that map

I didn't realise we were talking solely about tournament play seeing as halo 3 looks to only be staying for one more tournament? Just what I prefer to what others prefer

blame killa kc for the horrible weapon layout. Dammy was the best map in Reach next to Battle Creek and Sanc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I didn't realise we were talking solely about tournament play seeing as halo 3 looks to only be staying for one more tournament? Just what I prefer to what others prefer

if you're creating settings they should work up to top level of play. It shouldn't work just for scrubs, otherwise that kills the validity of the settings

also lol Tburner, instead of negging everyone who you disagree with why don't you actually argue against the points we made

You don't think hill would work?

I think hill could work very well now that you mention it. I had Construct in mind when I was thinking of how map control works on that map (covering a central elevated point with two major flanks) and pointing out the power items that I feel would function well on Isolation.

Plus hill is a fantastic way to make people use particular / diverse routes on a map with longer flanks. While it's better not to have to, it's still a great to focus the action.

How often does an actual Halo 3 tournament go down?

It's more of a "change for the sake of change" thing. You know how it worked out for Halo 4. 

There's no major flaws in the current settings, and if this particular tournament deserves different ones, then just make some from scratch. There's no reason for it to be the official v9. A lot of people seem to judge things with little to no experience of the actual settings (not pointing fingers).

PIT TS is slow but slow isn't necessarily a bad thing. It was one of mine and many others favorite gametypes. The slower gameplay gives way to more intense moments and calculated strategies that test a different skill set from players.

I was going to post literally the exact same thing but you covered it perfectly.

In fact, watching Pit TS was, and still is, my favorite gametype. I want to share a video of MLG Raleigh where Final Boss loses 49-50 but I can't seem to find it

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't really care if people want it updated or not. I just hope someone who knows what they're doing forges Citadel so we can play customs on it.

I'm so glad Killa KC had a say in what happened for MLG settings, some of the stuff being suggested in here is just terrible

KC was going to do many of the things suggested in here. Anakin is the one who said no. Anakin is the one who didn't want to remove Guardian slayer for a year after it was found to play terrible. Anakin is the one who didn't want to remove lockdown ball despite how many people hated it. Anakin is the one who wanted to make sure that the majority of gametypes were on Midship style maps. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would be down to test some this out. I want to see how Citdel plays competitively because it's a fun map to play on in social slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Being Random isnt a bad thing, I just have personally never heard of them.

The word 'random' definitely has a negative vibe about it when talking about maps. 'Unknown' would've been a better word.

• Upvote (+1) 2

PIT TS is a H3 classic.  Personally one of my favorites.  Agreed on Onslaught flag and Amplified TS though being replaced by Citadel.  If had to pick on one to replace would definitely choose Amplified.

The word 'random' definitely has a negative vibe about it when talking about maps. 'Unknown' would've been a better word.

How about Anonymous maps? Unidentified maps? Foreign Maps? Unfamiliar Maps? Strange Maps!? 

You are splitting hairs here, it all means the same thing as being Random /  I have never heard of them 

• Upvote (+1) 4