Sign in to follow this  
Aphex Twin

Halo 3 v9 settings

Replace Amplified with another map

This thread makes me better that the forums had little to no say in settings in Halo 3.

Bomb isn't functional in H3 without the notification that the enemy is planting + 10 second respawn. You'd have to reduce respawn to 5 seconds and then it'd just be too hard to score and we'd have games finishing 1-0.

Citadel TS would be a disaster - objective gametypes are really the only viable options on a design like that.

Why are people even suggesting Cold Storage at all? Spawns would be god awful. You'd have to remove the teleporters, but then certain areas would be ridiculously overpowered. It's just not going to work in a 4v4 setting at the high level.

This is the biggest one, and the one that bothers me the most: I'm the biggest naysayer in regards to dumbed-down 2 base 2 tower forge maps like Onslaught and Amplified, but if you think those two maps play even remotely close to Heretic, then you really haven't put much thought into it or just have no idea how either actually plays at those levels. So for those of you citing that as your reason to remove them, you need to think for yourself and not follow the forum hive mind.

I really dislike seeing the same regurgitated, exaggerated, and dramatic principles that have been proposed over the years for each game's settings by forum'ers who probably consider themselves "above" most, when they can't even show that they have the willingness or capability to critically think about these types of things on their own.

this is the shit I HATE....whatever though...

• Upvote (+1) 5

For the love of Halo please remove Pit Slayer. It didn't play good back in the day and it doesn't play good in newer Halo games. We wised up and removed it in Reach I believe and we should do that again if there are to ever be v9 settings. Also #TeamCitadel that map was the bomb.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Team Slayer
Amplified -> Pipeline
Construct
Heretic
Narrows -> Hexogen
The Pit -> Halcyon

Multi Flag
Heretic
Narrows
Onslaught -> Hexogen
The Pit

Team King
Construct

Oddball

Guardian -> Chromatic Ball/Koth or Halcyon KOTH

Reasons:

- Amplified TS and Heretic TS are redundant (not saying they play the same, but they are the same style of map), only one 2-base arena TS is needed. Seeing as Heretic is the non-forge map, it gets the nod. Pipeline TS is a style of gameplay that was noticeably absent from H3. Room based maps require a different mindset that would otherwise be absent, and Pipeline is the best available.

- Narrows TS plays like a game of conquest. It's push-pull dynamic simplifies Halo into a game of target practice with essentially two possible routes to get flanked from. Halcyon has an extra route across, as well as a fourth power item to encourage movement, but still retains the linear style of slayer that separated Narrows from the other TS maps.

- The Pit is not a TS map. As the two power positions are on opposite sides of the map, it is advantageous for both teams to sit and do nothing unless they have the advantage of Rockets or OS. Halcyon retains a bit of the base vs base dynamic, but places much more emphasis on controlling a central power position (it's also quite possibly the best map in Halo 3).

- As with Amp TS, Onslaught and Heretic occupy the same general role in the settings. Hexogen plays a similar style of CTF to Ons (heavy emphasis on controlling spawns) but its greater size allows for a few power items which in turn make the decision making much less straightforward and formulaic and more situational.

- I would rather keep Ball, but Gaurdian, Heretic, Lockdown, and Lockout all suffer from the same spawn issues. Spawns on these small oddball maps are entirely too easy to predict due to the strong influence the ball has on spawning, and larger maps don't work because it's too easy to lock down a setup. Cynosure has much better spawns and plays Oddball terrifically, but unfortunately play balls don't work in the skybox. This leaves us with removing ball or using a different style of oddball than we are used to. Room based maps have been shown to play oddball quite well without necessarily needing the ability to play ball, and their less open nature makes spawns less of an issue. Chromatic and Pipeline both do well in this regard, but Pipeline might still be too small and open. If ball was to be removed entirely, then Chromatic KOTH and Halcyon KOTH would both make viable replacements and would preserve the general 5-TS/4-CTF/2-Timed format that was very popular.

If I was in charge, that would happen. I'm still uncertain if Construct TS should stay, as the Camo change did help quite a bit, but it was still incredibly slow. Also it's a bit redundant when Halcyon is thrown into the mix as they are both vertical maps with an emphasis on top control. If Citadel could be made to work, then that would be a viable replacement (it's definitely an option to consider). Another option would be Pharoah if we wanted something that could provide similar play to the Pit without the standoffs.

I tried to keep my reasoning short and sweet, but alas I ended up writing a wall anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Team Slayer
Amplified -> Pipeline
Construct
Heretic
Narrows -> Hexogen
The Pit -> Halcyon

Multi Flag
Heretic
Narrows
Onslaught -> Hexogen
The Pit

Team King
Construct

Oddball

Guardian -> Chromatic Ball/Koth or Halcyon KOTH

Reasons:

- Amplified TS and Heretic TS are redundant (not saying they play the same, but they are the same style of map), only one 2-base arena TS is needed. Seeing as Heretic is the non-forge map, it gets the nod. Pipeline TS is a style of gameplay that was noticeably absent from H3. Room based maps require a different mindset that would otherwise be absent, and Pipeline is the best available.

- Narrows TS plays like a game of conquest. It's push-pull dynamic simplifies Halo into a game of target practice with essentially two possible routes to get flanked from. Halcyon has an extra route across, as well as a fourth power item to encourage movement, but still retains the linear style of slayer that separated Narrows from the other TS maps.

- The Pit is not a TS map. As the two power positions are on opposite sides of the map, it is advantageous for both teams to sit and do nothing unless they have the advantage of Rockets or OS. Halcyon retains a bit of the base vs base dynamic, but places much more emphasis on controlling a central power position (it's also quite possibly the best map in Halo 3).

- As with Amp TS, Onslaught and Heretic occupy the same general role in the settings. Hexogen plays a similar style of CTF to Ons (heavy emphasis on controlling spawns) but its greater size allows for a few power items which in turn make the decision making much less straightforward and formulaic and more situational.

- I would rather keep Ball, but Gaurdian, Heretic, Lockdown, and Lockout all suffer from the same spawn issues. Spawns on these small oddball maps are entirely too easy to predict due to the strong influence the ball has on spawning, and larger maps don't work because it's too easy to lock down a setup. Cynosure has much better spawns and plays Oddball terrifically, but unfortunately play balls don't work in the skybox. This leaves us with removing ball or using a different style of oddball than we are used to. Room based maps have been shown to play oddball quite well without necessarily needing the ability to play ball, and their less open nature makes spawns less of an issue. Chromatic and Pipeline both do well in this regard, but Pipeline might still be too small and open. If ball was to be removed entirely, then Chromatic KOTH and Halcyon KOTH would both make viable replacements and would preserve the general 5-TS/4-CTF/2-Timed format that was very popular.

If I was in charge, that would happen. I'm still uncertain if Construct TS should stay, as the Camo change did help quite a bit, but it was still incredibly slow. Also it's a bit redundant when Halcyon is thrown into the mix as they are both vertical maps with an emphasis on top control. If Citadel could be made to work, then that would be a viable replacement (it's definitely an option to consider). Another option would be Pharoah if we wanted something that could provide similar play to the Pit without the standoffs.

I tried to keep my reasoning short and sweet, but alas I ended up writing a wall anyway.

Citadel doesn't need to be "made to work," Citadel just is.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ender had the idea of the sentinel beam as a power weapon. Thoughts? 

Sentinel beam is like the focus rifle of reach but on steroids. The sentinel beam has ridiculous range and accuracy. It just doesn't take a lot of skill to use. IMO a power weapon should have at least some downside or vulnerability and sentinel beam really doesn't. I personally don't think it should be in MM at all less maybe a mini game.

Sentinel beam is like the focus rifle of reach but on steroids. The sentinel beam has ridiculous range and accuracy. It just doesn't take a lot of skill to use. IMO a power weapon should have at least some downside or vulnerability and sentinel beam really doesn't. I personally don't think it should be in MM at all less maybe a mini game.

It seems like it has barely any aim assist at all. Getting kills with it at long range is nearly impossible, and while it has great accuracy, it still requires you to keep it on the opponent perfectly in order to finish them off. Even with H3's nerfs, rockets are still much easier to get kills with. Also, unlike sniper and rockets, sentinel beam really promotes aggression because it is better at close ranges but is still accurate enough that if you get caught in a mid-range battle you aren't totally screwed. I honestly think all the rocket spawns should just be replaced by sentinel beams. It takes more skill to aim, promotes aggression over camping, and requires a unique form of aiming not seen in any other weapon (i.e. it's the only weapon where you are rewarded for maintaining good aim for the duration of a kill).

I'm so glad Killa KC had a say in what happened for MLG settings, some of the stuff being suggested in here is just terrible

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm so glad Killa KC had a say in what happened for MLG settings, some of the stuff being suggested in here is just terrible

Let's hear your 11

• Upvote (+1) 1

v9 ? Not worth investing time on it if this is only going to be 1 event... 

For spectators like me, im fine watching v8 no problem, but then again I dont think the "honeymoon" period with H3 will last long.

v9 ? Not worth investing time on it if this is only going to be 1 event...

For spectators like me, im fine watching v8 no problem, but then again I dont think the "honeymoon" period with H3 will last long.

Whether or not the gametypes should be updated is a topic that should be kept out of this thread.

• Upvote (+1) 1

wow those gametypes you listed were amazing.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

As much of a pipe dream as it is, I kind of like the idea of implementing the Sentinel Beam and Brute Shot. The Beam is probably the most awkward fit in H3 though, since the BR can only compete with it at a certain mid-range niche. It would be nice to see a Halo game eventually adopt some of the more interesting weapons for competitive play, though.

I believe the sentinel beam wasn't an option because of the ammo count

I love Onslaught.

And also to add I like how predictable spawns are in this game. If you have the knowledge you should be able to, simple as that.

Let's hear your 11

wow those gametypes you listed were amazing.

My 11? why would I want to change V8? it plays great, why change it if it isn't broken?

You guys are so obsessed with changing shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

or... we could just keep everything the same

tumblr_m24xv6H8Mx1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

Nah. Gotta get dat Citadel in there.

My 11? why would I want to change V8? it plays great, why change it if it isn't broken?

You guys are so obsessed with changing shit.

Do you really think that pit TS, narrows TS, construct TS, amp TS, and onslaught CTF play well?