Sign in to follow this  
MetaNigh7

H4->H3: A Casual Perspective

Well, Pre Patch Reach is bad, but in ZBNS, Reach is  alot better than H3 and H4 altogether, being very close to being as good as Halo 2 was.

I've played NBNS recently, I just don't care for it. I know a lot of people like it though

Well, Pre Patch Reach is bad, but in ZBNS, Reach is  alot better than H3 and H4 altogether, being very close to being as good as Halo 2 was.

Nothing will beat that H2 strafe and the feeling of the H2 BR (Post patch) though.  That and button glitches.

Nothing will beat that H2 strafe and the feeling of the H2 BR (Post patch) though.  That and button glitches.

Oh I know, im prolly one of the biggest fans of Halo 2, ever, but  sadly this isnt 2007 anymore :(

ZBNS is probably the closest thing I had to that time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

halo 3 is more fun casually for a good number of reasons.

1. the desire to improve is ever present.

2. you don't get lit up the entire match because weapons aren't long range and/or very few sight lines.

3. vehicles are fun to use. it takes still to kill players in vehicles. You can simply spray down a vehicle faster than they kill you by just shooting the defensive hood. they also aren't "clunky." mongoose rushing was the best.

4. vehicles don't show up 100m away on your radar, so people don't realize you are on a mongoose as soon as you get on it. or ghost, w/e.

5. obviously good maps.

6. the radar in halo 3 doesn't cover the entire map like it does in halo4. isn't halo4's 3x bigger l0l?

7. YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE PEOPLE'S FILESHARES WHILE IN THE LOBBY. you can talk to the other team in social. The one thing i always do still in halo 3 is to click every1's fileshare pre-game and look at their pictures and video desciptions.

8. co-op theatre. end-of.

9. campaign is actually fun and less linear imo. so many places to explore while in halo4 there are invisible barriers everywhere along with kill boxes. + their is campaign theatre.

10. a gamer profile that shows your win/loss rate and games played.

11. the in-game character armor pieces are actually noticable. I can instantly tell what type of headpiece they are wearing while shooting them. this actually made me want to get all the armor pieces to customise my spartan. In reach and mostly halo4, I can't tell wtf they are wearing.  in halo4, you can only notice the details if you look at their spartan while in lobby.

12. the game isn't easy. the challenge is there. that keeps them entertained.

• Upvote (+1) 2

halo 3 is more fun casually for a good number of reasons.

1. the desire to improve is ever present.

2. you don't get lit up the entire match because weapons aren't long range and/or very few sight lines.

Just for a counter-point here....

I have a lot of actually-casual halo friends. There are at least three of them that think ranks are stupid and shouldnt be in the game. Many casual people think it makes people care too much and talk trash and lord it over people who are not as highly ranked. They just want to play.

Just saying.

And your second point is personally, a terrible, terrible thing. But that's just me.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I have a lot of actually-casual halo friends. There are at least three of them that think ranks are stupid and shouldnt be in the game. Many casual people think it makes people care too much and talk trash and lord it over people who are not as highly ranked. They just want to play.

Just saying.

And your second point is personally, a terrible, terrible thing. But that's just me.

Isn't that why we had Ranked/Social split?

Edit: LOL Bolding a line in a quote has almost no effect.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just saying.

first point, i wasn't solely refering to ranked. however, even if they think it is stupid, it kept people playing. improving yourself meant replayability which kept people playing the game. It also made people actually try to win the game. the xp you get after every game is motivation to win in order to unlock your next rank. and making people care too much is what keeps the game active imo. I don't think people stopped playing halo 3 because there were ranks, but people stopped playing reach/halo4 because there weren't.

the 2nd point, i never said it was the best thing competitively, even though i find halo3's big team batle enjoyable, and competitive back in the day. Basically it worked for halo 3 imo. if it was like that on halo ce, it would be god terrible.

^on a good connection. I've played a lot of halo 3, over 10,000 matchmaking games. on host I don't find myself saying "god I missed that kill because of br spread." The battle rifle was designed to work in that specific range and it did quite well. If you played the halo reach nb dmr in halo3, I think it wouldn't be as much fun. that 3x scope... the halo3 br made the environment have more of a factor which was fun.

and in halo ce, the pistol actually has limited range. The bullet disappears at 113m or somethign right? w/e it was. Basically only ever happened on big maps just like the halo3's br isn't good on sand trap.

I think sidewinder is actually 3x bigger than halo3's avalanche

• Upvote (+1) 1

first point, i wasn't solely refering to ranked. however, even if they think it is stupid, it kept people playing. improving yourself meant replayability which kept people playing the game. It also made people actually try to win the game. the xp you get after every game is motivation to win in order to unlock your next rank. and making people care too much is what keeps the game active imo. I don't think people stopped playing halo 3 because there were ranks, but people stopped playing reach/halo4 because there weren't.

the 2nd point, i never said it was the best thing competitively, even though i find halo3's big team batle enjoyable, and competitive back in the day. Basically it worked for halo 3 imo. if it was like that on halo ce, it would be god terrible.

^on a good connection. I've played a lot of halo 3, over 10,000 matchmaking games. on host I don't find myself saying "god I missed that kill because of br spread." The battle rifle was designed to work in that specific range and it did quite well. If you played the halo reach nb dmr in halo3, I think it wouldn't be as much fun. that 3x scope... the halo3 br made the environment have more of a factor which was fun.

and in halo ce, the pistol actually has limited range. The bullet disappears at 113m or somethign right? w/e it was. Basically only ever happened on big maps just like the halo3's br isn't good on sand trap.

I think sidewinder is actually 3x bigger than halo3's avalanche

The ranked/social thing is a good solution and I don't think it should be done away with, I just made that comment about my friends because this thread was specifically for casual players' perspectives. I think he's wrong and I would put ranks in game just like everyone else here. I just thought it was a relevant counter-point.

The pistol was effective end to end on the largest maps that were played in tournaments. That artificial range didn't do much to negate its effectiveness in any actual game scenario.

That said, different strokes for different folks I suppose.

• Upvote (+1) 1

moreover, they seem to be harboring under the delusion that the week 1-3 audience will only come if they add elements of cod in it. NO, a halo game will ALWAYS have great opening day sales.

Halo 5 might not. I know two Canadians who won't bother with midnight launch this time around...

Every Halo game was terrible compared to its predecessor.

Wow, I just ended the entire conversation!

From a casual perspective (which is what the thread is about)? No.

Reach was the best. Maybe the core gameplay of vanilla settings could still rub them a little raw, but... come on. Reach could have been on high on the LIVE charts as a pure mini game simulator. This is what the casuals like, no?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach was the best. Maybe the core gameplay of vanilla settings could still rub them a little raw, but... come on. Reach could have been on high on the LIVE charts as a pure mini game simulator. This is what the casuals like, no?

Halo Reach was so bad that none of my casual friends ever got on to play customs with me :'(

Halo Reach was so bad that none of my casual friends ever got on to play customs with me :'(

Kids saying Halo 4 is better casually then Halo 3, No Halo 3 casually was some of the funnest times i had on Halo, playing Infection all night too playing Social playlist 

Agreed. As many of us on this forum have been saying repeatedly, A HIGH SKILL GAP AND A HIGH "FUN" POTENTIAL FOR CASUALS  ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.

Also, if the trend is that H4 is better in any way than H3 and before, its game over for us.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not even going to argue about it.

Also, that was the stupidest custom game I've ever seen.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So, when it comes to whether or not we choose H3 or H4, I believe we are sending a message to 343i. We're saying "hey...you see what this game did, we love this shit. We're not going to sit by you with some false sense of loyalty if you don't bring us a great product". We are influencing 343i with our choices and I believe that choosing H3 says, we want more of THIS and not more of THAT.

Hopefully this decision will be reflected in their approach to H5.

/endrant

In terms of sending a message, nothing is more potent than voting with your feet. Players have done that already by not playing Halo4 (and Reach) anymore, by the thousands.

However, 343 obviously didnt learn after Reach. They made the game partially worse. So:

If you REALLY wanna send a message that'll stick, dont buy the game. I wont buy it (have done every single other Halo game the first week after launch, bought the ltd ed. H4). I will wait at least three months and see what the game is REALLY like, without the new game "honeymoon" hype. 

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me (we know which games I mean here). No promo by 343, no hype by beyondentertainment, no video by any Halo personality will make me buy Halo 5 without thorough consideration.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If I was 343i I would rather the community play Halo 3 if the alternative is switching to another franchise such as Call of Duty.  So I do not think they are losing much sleep.  In fact it just shows the strength of the franchise they have the rights to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In terms of sending a message, nothing is more potent than voting with your feet. Players have done that already by not playing Halo4 (and Reach) anymore, by the thousands.

However, 343 obviously didnt learn after Reach. They made the game partially worse. So:

If you REALLY wanna send a message that'll stick, dont buy the game. I wont buy it (have done every single other Halo game the first week after launch, bought the ltd ed. H4). I will wait at least three months and see what the game is REALLY like, without the new game "honeymoon" hype. 

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me (we know which games I mean here). No promo by 343, no hype by beyondentertainment, no video by any Halo personality will make me buy Halo 5 without thorough consideration.

I second this motion. It's what I did for GOWJ. Refused to buy it, along with most of the community. Worse selling GOW title of all time and isn't even in the top 20

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 2 and Halo 3 are the best multiplayer experience even for casual you could hop on with some friends to run BTB  and run the flag while standing on a bashee.

I'm not even going to argue about it.

Also, that was the stupidest custom game I've ever seen.

my god....wtf was that. I used to smh at Infection but this is a new level of head shaking all together.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 are the best multiplayer experience even for casual you could hop on with some friends to run BTB  and run the flag while standing on a bashee.

Very true, kind of pointless to play a Sandbox game where the objective is to fight over a range of diverse on map weaponry and vehicles when:

1. There is no on map weapons aside from a few. Imagine if everyone spawned with the shock rifle or enforcer in UT and there was no other weapons on the map, no reason to move from one place to the other. That is what Halo has become to an extent.

2. You spawn with a mini-sniper that cant be de-scoped and is easy as fuck to 5-6 shot with, weapons de-spawn WAY too quick making those classic Halo Sandbox moments limited.

3. Vehicles are paper and dont last 10-15 seconds against coordinated team-shot.

4. Maps are just too cluttered and zoned off for vehicular combat and free-flowing combat.

H2 had the best BTB because the maps were big and varied artistically , OBJECTIVE was the focus(1-flag, 1-bomb, neutral assault, CTF, Territories)   not poking each other with cross-map Team-shot for 80 percent of the kills, you had actual BTB vehicles and the maps had plenty of vehicles, you could super-bounce and the physics were fun as fuck to experiment with(ie: Throw a plasma grenade across the map, launch grenades, vehicles went flying when they exploded, jump off ledges and dodge bullets/projectiles, ect...), and you had clans and leaderboards which brought actual meaning to the experience for both casual+comp players. The game was a true and pure Sandbox experience to its fullest, not some hybrid Halo game with a CoD-like set-up and mechanics. Like that Elite montage posted above that was prob a clan of guys who just loved messing around in Halo, why would you ever get rid of something as awesome as that? 

Honestly, i dont even know if there is people at 343 who agree with me, who actually PLAY the game, or is it just a denial fest over there with people thinking following the trends is going to save Halo MP?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Very true, kind of pointless to play a Sandbox game where the objective is to fight over a range of on map weaponry diverse weaponry and vehicles when:

1. There is no on map weapons aside from a few

2. You spawn with a mini-sniper that cant be de-scoped and is easy as fuck to 5-6 shot with

3. Vehicles are paper and dont last 10-15 seconds against coordinated team-shot.

4. Maps are just too cluttered and zoned off for vehicular combat and free-flowing combat.

H2 had the best BTB because the maps were big and varied artisically , OBJECTIVE was the focus(1-flag, 1-bomb, neutral assault, CTF, Territories)   not poking each other with cross-map Team-shot for 80 percent of the kills, you had actual BTB vehicles and the maps had plenty of vehicles, you could super-bounce and the physics were fun as fuck to experiment with(ie: Throw a plasma grenade across the map, launch grenades, vehicles went flying when they exploded, jump off ledges and dodge bullets/projectiles, ect...), and you had clans and leaderboards which brought actual meaning to the experience for both casual+comp players. The game was a true and pure Sandbox experience to its fullest, not some hybrid Halo game with a CoD-like set-up and mechanics. Like that Elite montage posted above that was prob a clan of guys who just loved messing around in Halo, why would you ever get rid of something as awesome as that? 

Honestly, i dont even know if there is people at 343 who agree with me, who actually PLAY the game, or is it just a denial fest over there with people thinking following the trends is going to save Halo MP?

I just think 343i asks to much to halo reach and halo 4 kids.... really what they done to halo 4 is like wow.....is that halo, i trough it was call of duty spartan ops.

Anyway you know what you're talking about #respect.

H4 at it's core is a great game.  4 shot BR, hit scan (omgxorz my shots register!?!?!)

all the add-ons.... blowwwwww

Same with H:Reach.  Good core gameplay, horrible add-ons.

H3 Pros - Maps, Okay core game mechanics (stuck to halo basics though should of kept BR hit scan), Maps, and um Maps.

Cons - Okay core game mechanics (wtf will you die?)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

H4 at it's core is a great game.  

What? No, it isn't.

The core of Halo 4 is Sprint... AA's... No Descope...Tactical Packages+Support Upgrades.

Yes the netcode is good, yes the BR is a 4 shot but the core of Halo 4 is broken and uncompetitive.