Gobias

New Game Type: Elimination (Clan Arena)

I'm going to introduce you all to an interesting idea, but first, an introduction.  If you are pressed for time, skip to the bold portion several paragraphs below.

A variety of game types can add significant replay value even to a game that released a year ago.  There has been a good supply of new, fun game types, (Ricochet, Lockdown, Mini Slayer, Snapshot) but I think there should be more game types added that appeal to competitive players.  We got Extraction, but we lost Assault.  CTF is changed; Oddball is broken. KotH is unused for some odd reason; Slayer is rather dull.  Do you see what I'm getting at? Game types define the rules by which we play, and the current ones just aren't enough or are not up to their predecessors' standards.  I have a few ideas for "new" game types that are possible in Halo.

Until my Internet connection decided to be slower than the pre-Turbo update kill times, I played a lot of Quake.  Quake Live, if you're interested (It's free! It's fun! It's one of the most difficult games I've ever played, and I got destroyed constantly!).  The most popular game type (besides Instagib, that is) was Clan Arena.  In this mode, two teams of four faced off on even starts; no power weapons or power-ups spawned on the map.  The difference was that every player spawned with every weapon--some six or eight or ten--and two-times-health.  The main focus in Quake is mastering each weapon and its nuances. Every weapon is a niche weapon, so a constant understanding of effective tactics is paramount to success.  Also important is teamwork, as every player has one life. After seven rounds, the team with the most wins... wins.

Now, you might be wondering how this could translate into Halo. I'll explain.

• Spawn each player with Overshield, a Battle Rifle, and a Sniper Rifle with four shots and no spare clips. (This can be done by spawning the weapon in the game, not in the loadout.)

• Spawn a Damage Boost at Top Middle. This will encourage movement in the place of power weapons. (In Quake, this is not necessary because health does not recharge.)

• Limit each player to one life.

• Play on small maps like Skyline, Abandon, and... er... Forge suggestions, anyone? The Ark, possibly?

- Under different circumstances, I would suggest using the Lightrifle instead of the Battle Rifle... but that is never going to happen.

The result is a fast-paced, intense mode in which teamwork, communication, and individual skill are highly emphasized.

Unfortunately, I am unable to test this game type with other people due to my horrid Internet connection, but I would appreciate if others would try it out.

Any concerns or suggestions are welcome.

Oh yeah, and I call it "Elimination". Yes, very original. (Just imagine Jeff Steitzer announcing it at the beginning of the match.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Very interesting idea, I like it. I could imagine playing something like this on v7 Reach and having a blast.  I can't imagine it on H4 though, because of Sprint, no Descope etc ruining it. 

Would love to see a one life based gametype for H5, though. Always thought that one life gametype they use in CoD was intense, even though I don't follow CoD. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Very interesting idea, I like it. I could imagine playing something like this on v7 Reach and having a blast. I can't imagine it on H4 though, because of Sprint, no Descope etc ruining it.

Would love to see a one life based gametype for H5, though. Always thought that one life gametype they use in CoD was intense, even though I don't follow CoD.

I think Clan Arena would work spectacularly in Halo CE. The raw skill required to use the Pistol and Sniper Rifle--combined with Descope and low b-mag--is what Clan Arena in Quake is all about: knowing how to use each weapon. Of course, you can only hold two weapons in Halo, but that emphasis is still there. Grenades could also add depth in lieu of extra weapons.

I think this game type would explode in the competitive scene. It's fast-paced, challenging, and exciting to watch. I don't follow CoD either, but the one-life gameplay aPK uploads occasionally (I can't recall the name) always gets me on the edge of my seat.