CyReN

The Great Halo Debate Thread

People will just save their thruster until the next gunfight to have a better strafe which will lead to every fight being the same.

But thrusting without shooting is even worse IMO

thrust needs more than just the ability to shoot for it to be a beneficial mechanic. We could add crouching to it and that would increase what we could do with it, it could also have less known effects, like say for instance, thrusting directly into a clamber would speed up the animation or something.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

There's still the fundamental issue with controllers though which outweighs their "advantages" (more on that soon) and that is the lack of manual aiming precision and hence the need for artificial aiming mechanics like magnetism etc in order to make the game playable. First and foremost, a FPS is obviously about aiming and shooting, that's the main skill set involved: being able to track a target, lead and time shots accordingly, while simultaneously making yourself a more difficult target for your opponent. Aiming with a mouse is the only way to properly realise that concept, as the inputs and outcomes within the game are purely the players own efforts. This should take precedence over anything else in a competitive game.

As for the button combos which are able to be implemented in a potentially balanced way on a controller, the so-called skill and balance are only due to artificial restrictions. I believe players should be able to choose their methods of input into the game, which means being able to customise the button layouts to their own choosing. If you want B (or F on PC) to melee, then so it should be allowed, if you want RB (or say, LM on PC), then so be it as well. If this is indeed allowed, the skill and balance of the button combos mostly disappear and suddenly the combos simply become a regular part of the game, so things like double-shot and quad-shot go from being situational to being the norm. If they are now the norm, why bother forcing people to strain their fingers just to be able to shoot at a higher ROF and why not simply remove the button combo and make the ROF naturally higher? In the end, it doesn't actually affect the skill gap, it simply forces everyone to play in a slightly different (and less desirable) way.

I understand how many do like the state of affairs in Halo 2 regarding the combos and that they do indeed work well there, my point is simply that they don't necessarily translate well into a proper gaming environment where M+K or customizable controls exist and therefore the tradeoff generally isn't worth it.

Replying to bolded part:

As someone who played H2C claw for years and was a "quadshot" kid, (Batchford knows lol), I both agree and disagree with this sentiment at the same time. It's weird. I completely agree that forcing unnatural aiming schemes in the name of balance is bad, but I just don't agree that using M+K would turn those combos from situational to regular parts of the game.

When my first OG xbox died, I played H2v for like a year. Despite vista obviously being pretty trash, it was a lot of fun. The reason I bring this up is because I can tell you from first hand experience that playing a game like H2C on M+K doesn't make quadshots any less situational. The fact is, mastering claw doesn't simply make you a quadshot god, and the same exact thing can be said about playing on M+K. This is because unnatural controller scheme isn't the only skillful factor in H1 and H2C's variety of button combos. (Although, I will admit that my positive opinion of the BXR is beginning to change because the clunky controller scheme really is the only thing that adds skill to the combo.)

The skillful part of mastering button combos comes from being able to recall those precise timings at clutch moments in the game. No perfect control scheme is going to be make that skill disappear. Hence, I don't think you could honestly say that those button combo abilities would equate to baseline abilities on M+K.

(Although, I do think that all the combos should be harder to do.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

With a mouse and keyboard couldn't you just set up a macro for combos like double/quadshot?

I haven't looked into it, so I don't know for sure but if you can then that would absolutely make them standard.

With a mouse and keyboard couldn't you just set up a macro for combos like double/quadshot?

I haven't looked into it, so I don't know for sure but if you can then that would absolutely make them standard.

I don't know specifically how to do it, but I know you can set up macros. :( The thing is, you can already set up macros for Xb1 controllers with Chronus max. It's a stupid little usb dongle that you plug your controller into.

I don't really have an answer on how to keep people from using stupid cheats, but I feel like there's got to be something. I know that CS:GO has a lot of insidious little hacks, but for the most part, they are able to detect cheaters and ban them as appropriate.

With plain old macros, the timing of the combo is going to be exactly the same every time. This would be pretty easy to detect from an anti-cheating point of view, because human players could never be that accurate with their combos. Unless someone created a program to introduce variance into those timings, that simple solution could bar the vast majority of people from cheating. If someone did create that program to create variance in the combos, then it should be detectable by the existing Anti-Cheating software used by Steam.

I don't know specifically how to do it, but I know you can set up macros. :( The thing is, you can already set up macros for Xb1 controllers with Chronus max. It's a stupid little usb dongle that you plug your controller into.

I don't really have an answer on how to keep people from using stupid cheats, but I feel like there's got to be something. I know that CS:GO has a lot of insidious little hacks, but for the most part, they are able to detect cheaters and ban them as appropriate.

With plain old macros, the timing of the combo is going to be exactly the same every time. This would be pretty easy to detect from an anti-cheating point of view, because human players could never be that accurate with their combos. Unless someone created a program to introduce variance into those timings, that simple solution could bar the vast majority of people from cheating. If someone did create that program to create variance in the combos, then it should be detectable by the existing Anti-Cheating software used by Steam.

I use a XIM4 and its impossible to tell if someone is using a device like that. The device is changing M/K inputs into simulated Xbox Input. Just think of a god like person moving their joy stick so fast it mimics a mouse. That is what a XIM4 does. There is no to tell because all the xbox reads is input from an Xbox controller.

What do you guys think the perfect kill times are for Halo, once you factor in all the mechanics in Halo5?

If it's too fast, you run the risk of negating strafe, outplaying your opponent, ect.

If it's too slow, the game feels shit.

What do you guys think the perfect kill times are for Halo, once you factor in all the mechanics in Halo5?

If it's too fast, you run the risk of negating strafe, outplaying your opponent, ect.

If it's too slow, the game feels shit.

Fast actually makes the strafe better tbh... Make the Killtimes fast but hard to get.

Fast actually makes the strafe better tbh... Make the Killtimes fast but hard to get.

I agree. Fast killtimes are the best for Halo 5 but aiming has to be hard so that only skilled players can hit all their shots.

I agree. Fast killtimes are the best for Halo 5 but aiming has to be hard so that only skilled players can hit all their shots.

Not even skilled players should be able to hit all their shots all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bloom is back?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wasn't a problem for CE.

Right, it's not like Call of Duty's instant kill times would be an issue in Halo..

Basicly what I meant. I wanted to say that it is super fucking hard to hit all your shots if the enemy has a decent strafe so most of the time even pros would miss shots. Better?

is the ce pistol a rifle, because no other can compete with it besides the sniper can compete with it in long ranges?

discuss

The Magnum, or more officially the M6D Personal Defense Weapon, is an up-sized variant of the M6 series that fires Semi-Piercing High Explosive rounds. It was an extremely effective weapon, but its expensive ammunition was dried up during the middle of the Covenant war. Its range is currently impossible to track, as expert marksman and Spartan 2s, 3s, and 4s have broken records outside its intended usage.

In other words, it's a hi-tech space pistol that outperforms guns of today by a good margin. Pistol, not a rifle. :halo:

I like how your thoughts come out so unambiguously.

Keeping it straight with ppl is the best way to go about things.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lets have a 50cal DMR that kills in 3 shots, and has very little bullet magnetism and aim-assist. Along with good strafing.

Halo is fixed?

Lets have a 50cal DMR that kills in 3 shots, and has very little bullet magnetism and aim-assist. Along with good strafing.

Halo is fixed?

Slow kills aren't the only bad thing about modern Halo.

The Magnum, or more officially the M6D Personal Defense Weapon, is an up-sized variant of the M6 series that fires Semi-Piercing High Explosive rounds. It was an extremely effective weapon, but its expensive ammunition was dried up during the middle of the Covenant war. Its range is currently impossible to track, as expert marksman and Spartan 2s, 3s, and 4s have broken records outside its intended usage.

In other words, it's a hi-tech space pistol that outperforms guns of today by a good margin. Pistol, not a rifle. :halo:

thank you

you wont believe how long it took for me to explain this to this one kid and he still didn't get it

Slow kills aren't the only bad thing about modern Halo.

Well if i had an entire team of DEVs i could probably make a better Halo lol, lots of people can on this forum haha.

Well if i had an entire team of DEVs i could probably make a better Halo lol, lots of people can on this forum haha.

After about 8 months, i'm going to make my first post because the halo hype train was dead for me...

This is the truest thing i've ever read... I don't understand how they can't just do exactly what we ask..

• Upvote (+1) 1