CyReN

The Great Halo Debate Thread

After a recent bunch of heated discussions and debates within the "OT of GD" thread, I've decided to dedicate a new thread to anything and everything debate-worthy. Feel free to express your opinions on pretty much anything in this thread. However, the Beyond staff will be keeping a close eye on this thread for obvious reasons so read the forum rules. Thus, please keep it civilized. With that said...

DEBATE!

Thats a hard one to say if anything i want the BR in halo 5 over the DMR but like to me why not put both and keep the DMR out of Competitive play as a starting weapon and keep it in for the casuals who like it or started off with halo reach and halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 11

In my honest opinion you missed a great joke by not calling it the master-debate thread. Just my opinion. 

So BR an DMR, should they both be in Halo 5?

Definitely needs to be changed to "The Master-Debater Thread".

OT: I'll start this bad boy off. I think that the competitive community settings maker (ie Ghost) should work with 343 at a close level when selecting maps for rotation into competitive lists. They would work towards a compromise where the maps in rotation for our competitive settings were the same as the maps in rotation for basic Team Slayer, and any maps from Forge we wanted to add we'd have to convince 343 to add to the regular playlists as well. While this might take longer and result in some slightly sub-par maps being in our competitive settings, it would fix a huge issue we currently have which is that most of the maps used in competitive settings are unrecognizable to casual players.

This is assuming Halo 5 is playable in the noncompetitive lists though (IE something like H3 or at least TU Reach). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Should Halo 5 Have a Join session in progress like halo 4?

I think there should be a standalone JiP lobby that takes you into any random game as a "quick match" for players who just want to play straight away. Option to choose Social or Ranked.  If you play in Ranked you don't rank up if you win and you don't rank down if you lose. 

There shouldn't be JiP like it is in Halo 4. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Should Halo 5 Have a Join session in progress like halo 4?

Let it have a toggle option, under search options featuring the return of Good Connection, My Language and whatever the other option was.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5 will need to include the necessary things that every current shooter has or the series will quietly fade away.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Consolidation of playlists would be really easy if there was an option of Ranked and Social for each playlist.

Ranked = remove radar, remove join-in-progress, disable guests, and max team size = max party size.

Then just have:

[4v4] Team Slayer (includes SWAT in Social)

[4v4] Team Objective

[2v2] Team Doubles

[8v8] Big Team Battle (could be 12v12 or higher in next-gen)

[6v6] Squad Battle (could be 8v8 if BTB is 12v12+)

[8] Rumble Pit

[4v4] Team Hardcore

[4v4] Team Snipers

[8-12] Multi-Team (4 teams of 2 or 3, could be amazing/horrible in Ranked)

[4v4] Action Sack (No Ranked option, includes Grifball)

10 playlists, easy.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If Halo 5 is like Halo 4 than the series will not only have its final nail in the coffin it will be buried 6 feet under cement.

The coffin was Halo Reach, Halo  4 put the nails on it and Halo 5 will be the one burying it.

Also, Halo 3...lol

As for DMR or BR, please..no more BR..we know Bungie and 343i failed hard with it, the spread is BAD, period. Give me the DMR with a 1-1.3 seconds  kill time(no bloom) and we will have  a decent Halo again(for the most part). People need to get off of this "nostalgia mind" that says the BR automatically implies skill, when we know that argument is pure fallacy, and it's killing us badly but we don't want to see it because we have the "Halo 3 nostalgia goggles".

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 7

if Infinity Slayer does return in Halo 5, it should not be in the ranked playlist. It should be in the social playlist in either its own category or in Action Sack.

• Upvote (+1) 2

if Infinity Slayer does return in Halo 5, it should not be in a ranked playlist. It should be in the social playlist in either its own category or in Action Sack.

We need the game to be as similar as possible if we want a popular game. Having Infinity settings and then "classic Halo settings" in the same game causes segregation and prevents growth.

We need the game to be universally the same with a few exceptions like radar. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 5 honestly just needs to fix the things Halo 4 did wrong. Halo 4 could have been a perfect Halo game. But the few flaws it had were BIG flaws, and it kinda ruined the experience. We all know what Halo 4's flaws were, so lets not beat the dead horse anymore. 

On top of fixing what Halo 4 did wrong, 343i should add spectator mode. That feature alone will help the competitive community. It will help the casters at tournaments by making their job easier, and engaging the viewers into the match a lot more. That's the one thing I love about CoD: BO2.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

We need the game to be as similar as possible if we want a popular game. Having Infinity settings and then "classic Halo setting" in the same game causes segregation and prevents growth.

We need the game to be universally the same with a few exceptions like radar. 

I agree, I never said I wanted Infinity Slayer to return in Halo 5. I'll be glad to see it gone

• Upvote (+1) 2

Keep the Battle Rifle, Covenant Carbine, DMR and Magnum, and make each more unique and adjusted to a certain role. The DMR is not a Casual's weapon, that is like saying the Magnum and Carbine are as well simply because they are a Single-shot Precision Weapon. Single-shot weaponry is far superior for Competitive game play because they take pacing and actual aiming to score kills and will always be better for skill-gap. Burst-fire and Automatic-fire weapons are plagued with random bullet spread and the ability to simply sweep your aim across for easy kills especially on unshielded opponents, they are completely random weapons.

However, all weapons could use improvements in their own way and thus I will list what I feel would work better for the Precision Weapons.

Magnum- 3sk, slowed rate-of-fire(Halo CE/Anniversary speed), Bleed Through, No Bloom,.

DMR- 4sk, slowed rate-of-fire, Bleed Through, No Bloom,.

Covenant Carbine- 6sk, altered rate-of-fire yet remains faster than other weapons, also add a unique poison effect once injury is taken with no shields up which stalls shield recharge by 2 seconds and damages health as long as they are down, due to Carbines poison laced bullets(Canon ammo effect).

Battle Rifle- 4sk, reduced bullet spread, Bleed Through, No Bloom, No Recoil, which equals a better quality weapon.

Needle Rifle- Same basic statistics as Halo Reach, 5sk, Super-Combine effect, No Bloom,.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think this was mentioned in a thread, but can a Halo CE pistol co-exist with a BR/DMR? I would imagine the scale of difficulty with all of the utility weapons to be like this(hardest - easiest):

Pistol - DMR - Carbine - Light Rifle - Battle Rifle

The pistol will obviously be a 3 shot, but only people with amazing gun-skill can use it effectively to challenge the other utility weapons.

Eagle says it perfectly, Gears of War 3 had a solid way of handling JIP.

Ranked- No JIP ever.

Social- Limited JIP.

Playlists-

Ranked-

Team Slayer

Big Team Battle

Team Hardcore(No Radar Gametypes, mix of Slayer & Objective.)

Team Doubles(Radar, No Radar, Gametypes, mix of Slayer & Objective.)

Team Snipers

Rumble Pit

Social-

Social Slayer

Squad Slayer

Multi Team

Team Objective

Infection/Improved Flood Mode

Action Sack(Whacky Gametypes and Grifball, Race,.)

Invasion

• Upvote (+1) 5

Thats a hard one to say if anything i want the BR in halo 5 over the DMR but like to me why not put both and keep the DMR out of Competitive play as a starting weapon and keep it in for the casuals who like it or started off with halo reach and halo 4.

You know some of us actually prefer a weapon that isn't random and is actually consistent unlike the BR the ZB DMR in reach was the best starting weapon we had since the CE pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So BR an DMR, should they both be in Halo 5?

Nope, ditch them both (in their current iterations) and combine their best aspects to bring in a single shot (no bloom/spread), 4sk weapon, with a 2x zoom that can kill quickly (0.9s would allow it to match the CE Pistol's RoF which seems like a good start) without being particularly easy to use. Oh and projectile registration if possible - other games have done it well in the past few years, so there's no excuse for it to not be reliable in 2014.

Starting weapon: done.  

Compromise: (hopefully) reached.

Arguments resolved.

As for the niche that the DMR introduced (3x scope) I'd be pretty happy just leaving the Light Rifle to handle that. The RoF & damage would have to be adjusted a little to make sure its relevant in the Halo 5 sandbox (as I'd imagine it), but otherwise I think it's a good fit.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The kill time of a sniper body shot + utility weapon headshot should be slower than the fastest possible kill time of the utility weapon. A sniper is a sniper - long range precision that, in the hands of a skilled user can be utilized at closer range. At the same time however, the player without the sniper should have the advantage against the player with it up close, all other things equal.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I totally agree with you anything that ingresses the skill gap

I'd rather have the DMR like it was in v7 Reach, range was good, not much auto aim but I would like to see it with a quicker RoF or 4sk.

If we have to have the BR in H5, I would like to see minimal auto aim and tightened spread. I'm not a fan of burst fire as it enables lesser skilled players to miss their target but still pick up kills. 

I personally prefer a single shot rifle/pistol as it rewards the player for being accurate, thus creating a higher skill gap in the game. 

• Downvote (-1) 1