CyReN

The Great Halo Debate Thread

No?

I'm not saying 343 saw those videos and thats what made them do a TU. But modders definitely help pave the way.

Modding gametypes in such a way was impossible before the TU. Nothing was "released," it was just a single video on a JTAG console. The original video came out at least a year before the Reach patch did.

ZB was added due to community demand, and the fact they were already making a patch for the Anniversary gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Modding gametypes in such a way was impossible before the TU. Nothing was "released," it was just a single video on a JTAG console. The original video came out at least a year before the Reach patch did.

ZB was added due to community demand, and the fact they were already making a patch for the Anniversary gametypes.

This. The video had no consequence whatsoever. The TU happened because everbody was crying about bloom since the beta, but as usual they wouldn't fucking listen until it was too late. Same with H3, same with H4 I see...

Does anybody have a link to any of the modded 4 shot DMR gameplay? I saw a video link before of gameplay of a full match of 4 shot DMR but I honestly can't find it anywhere, would be much appreciated. 

also; single shot>burst. I think both should be in the game tho. 

Does anybody have a link to any of the modded 4 shot DMR gameplay? I saw a video link before of gameplay of a full match of 4 shot DMR but I honestly can't find it anywhere, would be much appreciated. 

also; single shot>burst. I think both should be in the game tho. 

I can get you a link, but the gametype modifies nearly every other weapon, too.

I can get you a link, but the gametype modifies nearly every other weapon, too.

Yeah would be interesting to see, I reckon the dmr would be perfect at a 3-4 shot so I'm excitedz

We have no evidence that clearly points out that 343i took the mod and put it there. So we shouldn't point them out and accuse them of either good or bad deeds.

In the other hand, mods making it in MM has difference variables and changes so the game type can work without glitches. Race and Minislayer (mods) have their glitches and issues with maps and game options. At least I do, probably my Mexican Xbox :kappa:

Either way, I don't see the problem of 343 using peoples mods.

Which Power Weapons including old favorites, would be best to implement into Halo 5 for the most unique sandbox set up and experience and which would you like to see removed completely?

Returning-

Grenade Launcher(One of the best Halo weapons ever.)

Rocket Launcher

Shotgun

Sniper Rifle

Beam Rifle

Fuel Rod Cannon

Concussion Rifle

Energy Sword

Plasma Launcher

Needler

Brute Shot- Less powerful than the Concussion Rifle, and the return of its Bullet Ricochet would make it welcome.

Rail Gun- Good concept, but needs lowered Aim-Assist and Bullet Magnetism, and higher impact damage to assure a direct hit is a kill.

Removed-

Sticky Detonator

Binary Rifle- Unless reduced to one shot per ammo clip, reload, similar to a bolt-action Sniper Rifle and crosshair size is decreased significantly.

Incinerator Cannon- Copy and paste Rocket Launcher, brings nothing unique or new with it.

Scattershot- The Bullet Ricochet Concept was better done with Halo 2 Brute Shot, and would work better with another weapon type in general.

SAW- Awful weapon, much more powerful than it should be and simply acts as a unneeded extra automatic with no unique traits, its only redemption is how it looks.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

^^

halo 4 had way to many power weapons / 3 different kinds of snipers and they were all to easy to earn/find/get lucky and have one drop next to you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sadly I feel the new Halo 4 Power Weapons end up lacking substance and new elements, the lack of unique aspects is disappointing. In general the weapons bring nothing to the table that we didn't already have available to us with the previous Halo weaponry, which means they simply add clutter to a already wounded sandbox. The Rail Gun is the only new weapon that I feel deserves to stay, but only if its improved, because I do like the way a timed charged projectile weapon plays but the Rail Gun has some issues currently that pull it down.

New weapons should only be added if they are going to introduce something unique into the sandbox, and operate differently from the already introduced weapons. The perfect example of what kind of weapons deserve a chance is the Halo Reach Grenade Launcher, no other weapon is as unique or brings as much freshness to the sandbox and it should return nearly identical to its Reach version.

Ordnance, Load-outs, and all the other non-sense in Halo 4 simply make the issue and problems with the new weaponry all the more obvious in my opinion. To many weapons do the same job and serve the same role, not only that but they also shoot and feel as well as act similar, this is a bad decision by 343.

Which Power Weapons including old favorites, would be best to implement into Halo 5 for the most unique sandbox set up and experience and which would you like to see removed completely?

Returning-

Grenade Launcher(One of the best Halo weapons ever.)

Rocket Launcher

Shotgun

Sniper Rifle

Beam Rifle

Fuel Rod Cannon

Concussion Rifle

Energy Sword

Plasma Launcher

Needler

Brute Shot- Less powerful than the Concussion Rifle, and return the return of its Bullet Ricochet would make it welcome.

Rail Gun- Good concept, but needs lowered Aim-Assist and Bullet Magnetism, and higher impact damage to assure a direct hit is a kill.

Removed-

Sticky Detonator

Binary Rifle- Unless reduced to one shot per ammo clip, reload, similar to a bolt-action Sniper Rifle and crosshair size is decreased significantly.

Incinerator Cannon- Copy and paste Rocket Launcher, brings nothing unique or new with it.

Scattershot- The Bullet Ricochet Concept was better done with Halo 2 Brute Shot, and would work better with another weapon type in general.

SAW- Awful weapon, much more powerful than it should be and simply acts as a unneeded extra automatic with no unique traits, its only redemption is how it looks.

Wouldn't the Brute Shot be filling the gap between the Concussion Rifle and Grenade launcher?

And why do we even need the Beam Rifle?

Wouldn't the Brute Shot be filling the gap between the Concussion Rifle and Grenade launcher?

And why do we even need the Beam Rifle?

I liked the H3 Beam rifle in that it brought a slightly different dynamic to the sandbox in comparison to the UNSC Sniper. You could shoot two really fast snipes and risk it overheating or pace your snipes and have the reward of it never overheating as opposed to the UNSC Sniper being forced to reload every 4 shots. 

That said, I don't really care if it's taken out however this is 343, the company that not only kept all the Covenant equivalents of the Human weapons but also added Forerunner equivalents. I doubt very much we're going to see a reduction in the sandbox for H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What if the beam rifle couldn't scope in, and was 2 shot kill with the first being a headshot, or a 3 shot kill with the first two being body shots? Then just slightly reduce the auto aim from how it is now. That would make it different and not OP, but still a highly sought after midrange power weapon.

CE. It had no lunge.

Also 1 pummel didn't make you 1 shot if I remember correct?! I hate those stupid "oh you surprised me around a corner lets pummel trade" plays that happen sometime in newer halos.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Also 1 pummel didn't make you 1 shot if I remember correct?! I hate those stupid "oh you surprised me around a corner lets pummel trade" plays that happen sometime in newer halos.

It did make you one shot. But it's excused because both landing that first melee and also landing the Pistol shot were difficult enough. You also had to worry about a BLB.

It did make you one shot. But it's excused because both landing that first melee and also landing the Pistol shot were difficult enough. You also had to worry about a BLB.

Weird I always remember the ce pummels to only do a small amount of damage. Is there a 2 shot beatdown because maybe I'm confusing weak with not beeing able to do that.

But yeah no lunge alone makes it by far the best of them all.

Weird I always remember the ce pummels to only do a small amount of damage. Is there a 2 shot beatdown because maybe I'm confusing weak with not beeing able to do that.

It's still a 3-hit beatdown because the health sponges a lot of it. The first punch leaves you at just low enough shields for a single headshot to kill.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was referencing the Halo 2-3 Beam Rifles, not the Halo 4 one as it carries with it to much Aim-Assist. The real Beam Rifle concept brings a different element with it and is energy, battery, based with limited shots and a overheat mechanic separating it from the Human Sniper Rifle as you are forced to pace your shots more efficiently.

The Brute Shot is alot different when compared to the Concussion Rifle, it is weaker, shoots slower, and it doesn't affect vehicles as much, and also has Grenades that Ricochet off hard surfaces. The Concussion Rifle is more powerful, shoots faster, and can toss and topple vehicles with ease, but shots must be paced and aimed directly at the opponent to do any real damage. The Grenade Launcher has no similarities to either weapon besides the ability to Ricochet a round off a hard surface, its one shot per clip and can EMP vehicles, making it a more situational, skill based, weapon overall.

I would however prefer to see a new weapon based on the Brute Shots unique concepts and advantages, perhaps in a Forerunner skin, but I do not really trust 343 with making unique or useful new weaponry or items. I would prefer they stick with the previous Halo weapons that actually have differences and bring different things to the sandbox, instead of new weaponry, which is why I chose the weapons I did.

momentum melee brah.  depends on what you were doing movement wise while meleeing that determines the damage

Couldn't you one hit melee with the brute shot in H2 if it hit their head?  I want more of that, melee damage changing based on where you hit and how much momentum you have.

Also no more lunge.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Couldn't you one hit melee with the brute shot in H2 if it hit their head?  I want more of that, melee damage changing based on where you hit and how much momentum you have.

Also no more lunge.

Didn't they remove momentum-based melees in the Halo 2 patch that fixed the BR?

I know the Brute Shot was always one shot+melee in Halo 3, but that's because it had 125% melee damage if memory serves.

I know the Brute Shot was always one shot+melee in Halo 3, but that's because it had 125% melee damage if memory serves.

I recall it as being that Brute weapons did 72 points of melee damage compared to everything else dealing 70 in H3. Small difference, but given how H3's melee system was designed it was significant.

Assuming I'm remembering correctly (which I feel confident in saying that I am - I can vividly recall these numbers from the weekly update in question) this also means that the Brute Shot deals different damage to health and shields as a flat rate of damage for both doesn't work out to fit both the 1-shot + melee and the 4 shot kill.

45 health points, 70 shield points.

Base melee damage = 70.

6 AR bullets + a melee would kill at 7.5 damage per bullet as the 45 total damage inflicted by those bullets brings the combined shield and health total down to 70 - exactly enough for a melee to kill.

Yet if we divide the 115 total health by 4 we get 28.75, which when added to a 72 point melee doesn't have enough of an impact to kill a player, so it's reasonable to extrapolate from this that the Brute Shot's projectiles deal more damage to shields than to health (adding the additional 14.25 damage per shell would result in a 3sk if the damage was consistent to both shields and health).

And to take a quick look at the BR: 6 damage per bullet, 18 per burst.

18*2 = 36, which after a melee leaves 9 points of health remaining.

So for MLG to increase the damage to 110% and have it result in  2shots + melee to kill we can see that the melee itself must also be affected by the damage multiplier.

36*1.1 = 39.6 

70*1.1 = 77

39.6 + 77 = 116.6 just enough excess damage to kill a player.

Yeah I went off on a bit of a tangent there, but hey game mechanics trivia! Why not, eh?

EDIT: Found the source article - http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13233