Sign in to follow this  
Velo

What is 343i thinking now?

If AGL actually picks of Halo 3 and Drops Halo 4, I would really love to hear what 343 has to say on that. 

I'm sure they have realized their game is dying, But i doubt they thought it get to the point where we as a the main community left are about to switch back to a Halo game made 6 years ago and is 2 titles back in the series.

The downfall of Halo over the last couple years as been something else... With my self being part of the golden age of Halo, And seeing how massively huge of a success the first 3 Halo were. I still cannot believe we are where we are now. It's mind boggling.

They for sure won't be plugging AGL events anymore.

Halo 4 got nominated for a bunch of the GoTY awards but won only one from Machinima. Whether you count that or not, that's up to you.

Same day Halo 4 GOTY releases, is the same day we have the Lowest population. GG

the irony... makes me sad sometimes but this one makes laugh. xD

And who is qualified to hand out GOTY? How can you make a GOTY edition when no one gave it game of the year.

Machinima gave Halo 4 GOTY sadly.

#halotober Have fun on halo 3 everyone. The ones who stick around will be remembered for their loyalty... But then again no one cares about loyalty anymore so then its my pride thats holding me down.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

#halotober Have fun on halo 3 everyone. The ones who stick around will be remembered for their loyalty... But then again no one cares about loyalty anymore so then its my pride thats holding me down.

Fun > Loyalty

• Upvote (+1) 5

Machinima gave Halo 4 GOTY sadly.

Explains why that company is currently tanking.

They for sure won't be plugging AGL events anymore.

Halo 4 got nominated for a bunch of the GoTY awards but won only one from Machinima. Whether you count that or not, that's up to you.

I wish there was a metric to see how much those actually affected numbers for the tournament. I'd assume anyone who would be interested in watching already knew about the tournament before it was splashed on the load screen, there may have been a few "casual" players who went hmmm and checked it out but I can't imagine that number was very high.

343i's actions:

-Adds 4shot. Population still decreasing.

-Adds invisible ranks. Population still decreasing.

-Host Global Championship. Population still decreases.

-Releases Champions DLC. Population still decreases.

-Releases GOTY edition. Population still decreases.

All these facts show that basically nothing will change the fate for Halo 4. Even if they added de-scope, no sprint and ranks... would that bring back the majority? Probably not. The damage is too deep to reverse this far in.

343i should just focus on Halo 5. And listen to the community from here on out. No more surprises, otherwise they will probably fail.

None of those changes are really significant though..that CSR was such a joke..If they made the ladder changes you mentioned the population would probably get a small bump.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If AGL actually picks of Halo 3 and Drops Halo 4, I would really love to hear what 343 has to say on that.

I'm sure they have realized their game is dying, But i doubt they thought it get to the point where we as a the main community left are about to switch back to a Halo game made 6 years ago and is 2 titles back in the series.

The downfall of Halo over the last couple years as been something else... With my self being part of the golden age of Halo, And seeing how massively huge of a success the first 3 Halo were. I still cannot believe we are where we are now. It's mind boggling.

Yeah, but its kind of exciting. If we do make the switch to Halo 3 we can enjoy that for a little while and then maybe Halo 5 will be good and we can go to that. Its a refreshing change and I am loving it so far. I think it would have been best to get a no sprint gametype but since that seems out of the question this is the next best route.

• Upvote (+1) 1

None of those changes are really significant though..that CSR was such a joke..If they made the ladder changes you mentioned the population would probably get a small bump.

Yea it could see increase in population, from the hardcore players at least. However, casuals are quitting faster and faster, and they're the majority.

But did the majority of all Halo players quit because of no ranks, no de-scope, and no sprint?(All these things scream competitive, not casual). In my opinion, the casuals probably didn't really care about those things. Something else killed it for them probably. Not sure what that would be though.

Yea it could see increase in population, from the hardcore players at least. However, casuals are quitting faster and faster, and they're the majority.

But did the majority of all Halo players quit because of no ranks, no de-scope, and no sprint?(All these things scream competitive, not casual). In my opinion, the casuals probably didn't really care about those things. Something else killed it for them probably. Not sure what that would be though.

The fun factor. It's completely gone. 343, with the help of Bungie, dissolved what made Halo unique in the genre. Now it's trying to be CoD: Halo edition when everything it tries to copy, CoD does better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Notice how the 2 games with no ranks happened to be the two games with lousy population though. Everyone wants something to strive for, regardless of their competitive drive. I played with a lot of real-life friends back in Halo 3's relevancy and they all loved ranking up, but they were by no means competitive players. It's just fun to test your ability against others in your skill range and have something to show for it.

What killed Halo 4 for most casual players has to be the random aspects I would think. Regardless of what your skill level is, getting killed by a incineration cannon that popped out of the sky when your team was about to win is frustrating for anyone. I don't believe the poor map choice helped either. Without the veto system, it really seems like the same maps are played while some never get touched. In Halo 3, you were forced into variety but in Halo 4 everyone just votes Haven and calls it a day. I'm sure that burned out a lot of people.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The answer to that question is the most important distinction 343i needs to make and imo YES casuals did quit because of those factors, they just weren't aware of it. 

Casuals didn't and don't know the reason that Halo 4 doesn't seem fun is that when you're given everything to get kills in Halo extremely randomly and easily, what do you know, those kills don't feel very fun to get after the fifth time you're handed rockets while being invisible and camouflaged. Or oh man that was so fun to sprint away from that guy but when the guy sprints away from me, "that's fucking dumb!"

Casual players wouldn't admit and don't admit those are the reasons they left but what reasons do they give? Other games is the only other I can think of and guess what, there were a shit ton of other games when old Halo's were out and casual's currently playing COD are still playing COD.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Without the veto system, it really seems like the same maps are played while some never get touched. In Halo 3, you were forced into variety but in Halo 4 everyone just votes Haven and calls it a day. I'm sure that burned out a lot of people.

This often seems to be overlooked, but I agree completely. It's incredibly frustrating to dislike most of the maps that are really popular in Matchmaking and because of a vote system end up playing them more times than any sane person should in a single day. A simple veto option with all gametypes in a playlist having the same base player traits and loadout(s) would be ideal. Heck, by now I'd even be happy with no veto or voting at all - just give us a map and make us play it Halo 2 style. At least that way even the maps that are initially disliked will have some kind of strategies developed for them rather than just being ignored.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Notice how the 2 games with no ranks happened to be the two games with lousy population though. Everyone wants something to strive for, regardless of their competitive drive. I played with a lot of real-life friends back in Halo 3's relevancy and they all loved ranking up, but they were by no means competitive players. It's just fun to test your ability against others in your skill range and have something to show for it.

What killed Halo 4 for most casual players has to be the random aspects I would think. Regardless of what your skill level is, getting killed by a incineration cannon that popped out of the sky when your team was about to win is frustrating for anyone. I don't believe the poor map choice helped either. Without the veto system, it really seems like the same maps are played while some never get touched. In Halo 3, you were forced into variety but in Halo 4 everyone just votes Haven and calls it a day. I'm sure that burned out a lot of people.

Yea that could have something to do them quitting. But honestly I think it might of been the fact that the highest rank could be reached in like a month. I think that if the highest level was like SR 1000, then casuals would still be playing.

Does anyone remember double exp playlist? Those things always filled up fast. People wanted to rank up.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If Halo 5 turns out to be the BEST Halo game ever, with amazing maps, perfect settings, a phenomenal ranking system and still manages to struggle sustaining population issues? Then all I can sadly say is, Halo has truly come to an end. Where buried in 2 games deep, it's going to be a challenge to come out on top again. When and if it dies, i'll be buried with it. My loyalty to the Halo franchise will never depart, EVER.

Halo will always be my #1 game in my heart. 10 years from now, 20 years from now, in to beyond. (i'm just a 1990s kid, y'know what im sayin)

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Halo 5 turns out to be the BEST Halo game ever, with amazing maps, perfect settings, a phenomenal ranking system and still manages to struggle sustaining population issues? Then all I can sadly say is, Halo has truly come to an end.

Seems like you're implying the population decrease has to do with Halo being too old and that's not the case. Counter-Strike is proof that if the developers stay loyal to the core mechanics, it'll continue to thrive. As long as Halo goes back to where it was, it'll pick up steam again.

I registered today because I finally cant stand the state of competitive halo and have been depressed for over a year about it. I really have to say after being around sense 2006 and the golden days as well as some of you. The "main" population dump and amount of people who pretty much gave up on the series was around reach as well as a whole bunch more toxic symptoms. I also remember a small transition phase where in the last few months of halo 3 people stopped playing "because reach was coming out" and as soon as everyone gave up on Reach they never even bothered so there is another little chunk of people we lost. The amount of people saying "its dead' has helped kill it slowly to, ask the gears competitive community. Its what happened to them even the devs said the community didnt give them even 4 months to fix there game, we gave Bungie and 343 2 years and well its dead. I finally admit its dead as well due to the fact that anytime after 2 AM est I cant get matches frequently in any good list at all. The game is almost a year old and reduced to a 15k community which is painful to deal with because of the varying skills. No rank has pretty much made it so new players are either going to have an experience thats deceivingly easy or impossibly hard because of how low the populations getting. It was less than 2200 people last night and the whole time I was just waiting for a fun even match. This has killed it for me and it will kill it for any new population that they try to start. I feel like my loyalty at this point will just hurt the h4 for any possible future success. Its simple noobs dont wanna get smashed and I dont want to smash noobs ITS BORING! A positive side thought though I do see the game coming back if they make the map packs free and halo 3 completely free and accessible. It very well could go out to be one of the most popular active 360 games when the 360 is finally in the dust and forgotten. 

This all leaves me asking though will competitive halo ever come back? At this point it looks really unlikely. It pains me inside to say that too which I really mean when I say I feel pain. The feeling is like tomorrow there being no more professional baseball because the players started giving up on it because of cheating and rule changes. I also have no more knowledge and glory to recreate when I play halo when ever I watch an event, due to the fact that there is no more fair matchmaking at all unless its a team of four in throwdown which takes forever to find. You also have nothing to show for your hard work and glory for other players to see. Its a simple change to remove the SR to be 1-50 and be the CSR instead, also make it so everything's unlocked now and no more building points to earn crap (the community is so far past that point its laughable). This idea also creates more room for the competitive settings to change due to all of the different abilities that can be tested (stability over explosive damage reduction). I feel like these questions dont matter anymore because the community doesnt care whether or not the question is if Halo 4 is fixable for competitive play. 

Well thats my intro post and some thoughts so far ( I have a million going through my head so its hard to get 3 years of thoughts into one post). I want to stick around and help as much as I can but I just dont know what there is to help. 24/7 custom game lobbys? Lists with people willing to switch off shifts and host to do it? I dont know but im here to try at least.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Seems like you're implying the population decrease has to do with Halo being too old and that's not the case. Counter-Strike is proof that if the developers stay loyal to the core mechanics, it'll continue to thrive. As long as Halo goes back to where it was, it'll pick up steam again.

Im not to fond of Counter Strike but, Halo has completely changed its game mechanics the last 2 games and its going to be tuff to come back from that. When Halo 5 comes out and 343 attempts to go back to its roots (probably not, maybe in certain playlists idk) Will the casuals of the last 2 games adapt to it or do you think they will make a huge fit like we are now. The community is split into 2 parts, the oldschool people and the noobs. Right now the noobs have a much bigger population then us. The only way we'll win this war is if MOST of the veterans come back and slay the noobs and show them whats good. (which is a really slim chance) I pretty sure I know that Counter Strike has stayed to its roots (mostly), but Halo has not, so we're in a completely different situation, a more dangerous one at that. 

Halo 5 is are last hope and 343 knows thats. If 343 fails at listening to the community then its inevitable that Halo will never reach top tier status again. Day 1 release needs to PERFECT. At this point in time, there is no room for mistakes.

I registered today because I finally cant stand the state of competitive halo and have been depressed for over a year about it. I really have to say after being around sense 2006 and the golden days as well as some of you. The "main" population dump and amount of people who pretty much gave up on the series was around reach as well as a whole bunch more toxic symptoms. I also remember a small transition phase where in the last few months of halo 3 people stopped playing "because reach was coming out" and as soon as everyone gave up on Reach they never even bothered so there is another little chunk of people we lost. The amount of people saying "its dead' has helped kill it slowly to, ask the gears competitive community. Its what happened to them even the devs said the community didnt give them even 4 months to fix there game, we gave Bungie and 343 2 years and well its dead. I finally admit its dead as well due to the fact that anytime after 2 AM est I cant get matches frequently in any good list at all. The game is almost a year old and reduced to a 15k community which is painful to deal with because of the varying skills. No rank has pretty much made it so new players are either going to have an experience thats deceivingly easy or impossibly hard because of how low the populations getting. It was less than 2200 people last night and the whole time I was just waiting for a fun even match. This has killed it for me and it will kill it for any new population that they try to start. I feel like my loyalty at this point will just hurt the h4 for any possible future success. Its simple noobs dont wanna get smashed and I dont want to smash noobs ITS BORING! A positive side thought though I do see the game coming back if they make the map packs free and halo 3 completely free and accessible. It very well could go out to be one of the most popular active 360 games when the 360 is finally in the dust and forgotten. 

This all leaves me asking though will competitive halo ever come back? At this point it looks really unlikely. It pains me inside to say that too which I really mean when I say I feel pain. The feeling is like tomorrow there being no more professional baseball because the players started giving up on it because of cheating and rule changes. I also have no more knowledge and glory to recreate when I play halo when ever I watch an event, due to the fact that there is no more fair matchmaking at all unless its a team of four in throwdown which takes forever to find. You also have nothing to show for your hard work and glory for other players to see. Its a simple change to remove the SR to be 1-50 and be the CSR instead, also make it so everything's unlocked now and no more building points to earn crap (the community is so far past that point its laughable). This idea also creates more room for the competitive settings to change due to all of the different abilities that can be tested (stability over explosive damage reduction). I feel like these questions dont matter anymore because the community doesnt care whether or not the question is if Halo 4 is fixable for competitive play. 

Well thats my intro post and some thoughts so far ( I have a million going through my head so its hard to get 3 years of thoughts into one post). I want to stick around and help as much as I can but I just dont know what there is to help. 24/7 custom game lobbys? Lists with people willing to switch off shifts and host to do it? I dont know but im here to try at least.

Don't try to help like that or invest large amounts of time in something that isn't helping you. Old halo's could be justified from the perspective that they gave a lot to you so you want to give back but 343i just doesn't care so just wait for some proof that they have changed there frame of mind. Until they show a trailer that makes halo actually look fun again, doooooon't waste your time.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Velo would you say that this opinion is reflective of the rest of the competitive populations opinion or just yours. Im only asking because im trying to think of more reasons in my next post on why this game died, and US giving up on OUR own efforts to HELP is a pretty big reason. I guess sense this post can be seen by the public im more asking everyone here if thats there opinion as well.

You're actually wrong.

CS:GO is not that popular.