Katastrophe

What Halo game should the Community/AGL support?

Halo 3 vs Reach  

266 members have voted

1. 1. What should the community/AGL support?

• Halo 3
    • Halo: Reach
    • Halo 4

And we are talking about the game being played on lan so people should really just quit bitching about netcode since it will not be a factor at the tourney.

"Bullets didn't register once again" - Puckett
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Nice job cherry picking my post guys. Completely ignore the fact that the pros are consistently playing H3 right now. Would you rather watch V7 with random jo-schmoes and a couple pros, or halo 3 with more big name pros??? ill just leave it at that.

Yes shots dont register on lan but if the pros are fine with it and H3 gets more of them there then what is the problem???

Yes shots dont register on lan but if the pros are fine with it and H3 gets more of them there then what is the problem???

A game with such a minuscule amount of competitive merit doesn't deserve support from the competitive community.

Also, I would rather watch my grandparents and 5 year old nephew play halo CE than Walshy, T2, the ogre twins, pistola, zyos, snipedown, and any other pro play halo 3 because the former has more competitive merit.

That said, I would much rather watch random teams that nobody has heard of play reach than well known teams play h3

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

unbelievable...smfh

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 3 actually does a very poor job of testing map movement and positioning. This is partially because of the BR since its so useless that it not only takes forever to kill people, but the range is so shitty that it doesn't punish players for being out of position. At any given time in halo 3, I'm pretty safe from being shot. 

Faster kill times have a directly inverse correlation with team shot importance. Longer kill times are actually better for an arena shooter like Halo. The extreme opposite end of the spectrum would be CoD, which we all know requires zero team shot because the kill times are instantaneous. The BRs kill times aren't so slow to make the incapable of punishing bad positioning, but they do demand more precision of the holder. As for the distance cap on the BR, refer to the above posts about why this cap is actually good for increasing the skill gap. In short, being able to shoot anywhere at any time is dumbing the game down, while the limits of the BR force you take make better decisions to compensate for this limitation. The cap is also important for overall weapon and gameplay balance (refer to above).

In addition, we used 3 minute timers for power weapons (for some stupid reason) so we wouldn't see pushes too often unless the power weapons were spawning. Until then, teams could just sit and wait near ther spawn for the enemy team to push through the choke points of the map. Not a very skill intensive playstyle; it would be much better if players were encouraged to zone the map and run multiple strategies at once as opposed to clustering together for the lowest level of teamwork; teamshooting. Unfortunately, as long as we're stuck with a utility weapon as useless as the BR, this style of gameplay is forced down everyone's throats.

I would argue that the cause for these stand-off moments of the game are more due to map design, though very rarely do full blown stand-offs occur (90% of time it'll be Pit TS). Try not to take offence, but it sounds to me like you're describing pretty low level gameplay if that's what is happening regularly. In my experience there is always pushing occurring back and forth between teams--sitting and waiting for the other team to push is old meta, like, H2 meta. I doubt if you watch some pro gameplay of H3 you would see a lot of instances where teams sit at their half of the map, wait there for the enemy team to push, and then push after that point. 

• Downvote (-1) 4

Not being able to shoot across the map with 100% accuracy is dumbing the game down?

Wow.

Yea this was my joke about the DMR and Narrows, you can barely hit a bullet from lift to lift, if you had the H4 DMR you could kill someone right from spawn.

Not being able to shoot across the map with 100% accuracy is dumbing the game down?

Wow.

Yet again, a well thought out and constructive response.

The DMR is a simple weapon to use because it's so effective in so many circumstances--it's oversimplified in this way, and hence dumbs the game down.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Yet again, a well thought out and constructive response.

The DMR is a simple weapon to use because it's so effective in so many circumstances--it's oversimplified in this way, and hence dumbs the game down.

Halo 2 BR or Halo 3 BR.

Which one is better?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 2 BR or Halo 3 BR.

Which one is better?

genius question...can't wait to see the replies so i know who to put on ignore...

:gandhi:

• Upvote (+1) 3

@afterdeath: i think the reason no one bothers to provide a constructive response is because the claims you make are so blatantly and obnoxiously wrong. im not going to either btw, because lol.

lets objectively conclude that halo 3 is better to watch, but halo reach is better to play. the skill gap in h3 isnt unbearably low, unlike h4. so based off that, just put h3 in tournaments and play reach if you prefer to do so. simples!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why are we discussing matchmaking when talking about which game should get tournament support?

Matchmatching is where the majority of games get played. Even for "most" of the teams preparing for tournaments. And if the "preparing" isn't fun(Reach matchmaking)... Then the game basically has no hype. Hype gets viewers.

If Reach had ranks, Reach probably would be the game being used right now. I'd also probably never stop playing the reach mlg playlist if it had dem RaNKz.

@afterdeath: i think the reason no one bothers to provide a constructive response is because the claims you make are so blatantly and obnoxiously wrong. im not going to either btw, because lol.

lets objectively conclude that halo 3 is better to watch, but halo reach is better to play. the skill gap in h3 isnt unbearably low, unlike h4. so based off that, just put h3 in tournaments and play reach if you prefer to do so. simples!

Well that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it (lol). Let me just say though, that I find it difficult to believe that if Reach was a better game to play than H3, Reach wouldn't have been taken off the circuit, nor would H3 have been the title that propelled it's competitive community to it's pinnacle =] objectively speaking, of course.

• Downvote (-1) 1

It is literally factual truth v7 is more competitive than h3 in any incarnation (and objectively when one says 'better' on this forum, they mean wih more competitive merit). Did you also know h3 had greater success in mlg than 2 and ce, even tho the earlier games are leaps beyond it? Ur not objectively speaking btw, ur points are littered with bias and poor logic.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Matchmatching is where the majority of games get played. Even for "most" of the teams preparing for tournaments. And if the "preparing" isn't fun(Reach matchmaking)... Then the game basically has no hype. Hype gets viewers.

If Reach had ranks, Reach probably would be the game being used right now. I'd also probably never stop playing the reach mlg playlist if it had dem RaNKz.

you think teams competing at an event care about a playlist rank? they are going to be scrimming teams...in customs...teams they will play at the event, not the team of random 50's they met in matchmaking that will eventually get steaked on pit ts 50-25.

you think teams competing at an event care about a playlist rank? they are going to be scrimming teams...in customs...teams they will play at the event, not the team of random 50's they met in matchmaking that will eventually get steaked on pit ts 50-25.

Halo 3 50 high MLG with a to4 matches you against really good AM teams most of the time. That's good practice for "most" teams. (Non pro teams).

If we're going to have a discussion comparing and evaluating mechanics lets actually have a discussion. Negging and "You really believe that, lol ok..." doesn't contribute anything.

Going out and I'll join in when I get back, be excellent to each other whilst I'm gone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lower the aim assist on the DMR a little more, reduce the range of the DMR, fix the freaking spawns, and get a few better maps and I would be all for Reach. Right now, I see v7 being a bit more competitive than Halo 3 online (not really that close on LAN imo), but not enough to overcome the stigma attached to Reach and the popularity towards H3. Also, I think more people are willing to buy ODST for $7 than go out and buy Reach for $15 and Halo CE Anniversary map pack for another $15, which makes it harder to LAN too.

Bigger skill gap, ranks, and better game play. H3 is the best option.

Agreed. As consistent as Reach is, it is a much easier game.

Halo 3 50 high MLG with a to4 matches you against really good AM teams most of the time. That's good practice for "most" teams. (Non pro teams).

This is true, but for the most part if you want the best form of practice you would scrim. Top teams used to go on like 50 game winning streaks back in the day throughout H3's run with MLG. All you saw were Wins on their recent games on bungie.net, the only time they would lose was against another top team...AM's got abused left and right. I'm not kidding.

These teams that have a chance at placing top 8 or winning the AGL H3 event will be scrimming the majority of the time to get the best games possible. The playlist will help to keep them warm and ontop of their game by playing the settings being used in the tourney, but their best practices come from scrims.