Katastrophe

What Halo game should the Community/AGL support?

Halo 3 vs Reach  

266 members have voted

1. 1. What should the community/AGL support?

• Halo 3
    • Halo: Reach
    • Halo 4

Although I fully support bringing back H3, nothing will revive halo over the next year. With managed expectations from the community, h3 could be a big hit. It offers much more exciting matches than HR or H4 imo. However, I don't know if many pros are going to come back for it as long as AGL isn't paying players. That pretty much kills the chance of getting pros out and thus viewership, ect. 

It's crazy that h3 is now considered by many to be a great game in comparison with h4. After being a CE and h2 kid, I quit h3 for the first 6 months after the game came out and just stuck with h2. However as more and more shitty halo gets, the better h3 looks. To the point that now the game seems pretty damn solid. 

Well to be fair following up not only two of the greatest Halo games period but some of the best games ever is one hell of a burden, I still have not found MP games in this modern age that were as competitive and unique as Halo 1+2, RS3, and UT2k4 were to me back in the day. I think people who primarily played Quake or CS might feel that way as well, there is so many amazing games and communities back then that is missing today and modern shooter games are just not as innovative and "fresh" as those games were back then. Probably because most popular MP shooters today are multi-title series that are driven by huge publishers pushing out the games ASAP with no effort towards building long-term communties. Its just not the same.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well to be fair following up not only two of the greatest Halo games period but some of the best games ever is one hell of a burden, I still have not found MP games in this modern age that were as competitive and unique as Halo 1+2, RS3, and UT2k4 were to me back in the day. I think people who primarily played Quake or CS might feel that way as well, there is so many amazing games and communities back then that is missing today and modern shooter games are just not as innovative and "fresh" as those games were back then. Probably because most popular MP shooters today are multi-title series that are driven by huge publishers pushing out the games ASAP with no effort towards building long-term communties. Its just not the same.

To that point though, COD has shown that a developer can clearly stick to it's core gameplay elements and still sell copies. It isn't about making changes for the sake of making changes...

This community makes me sick sometimes. Nostalgia > Gameplay. Ridiculous.

we've got to be the only competitive community with this thinking...it's hilarious

To that point though, COD has shown that a developer can clearly stick to it's core gameplay elements and still sell copies. It isn't about making changes for the sake of making changes...

CoD did change some of its gameplay elements with CoD 4 though in major ways that upset the old community, it was a WWII shooter with the first three games. But the casual gain they got in return was obviously worth main-streaming the game-play/modernizing the setting from a business perspective. When your top dog there is really no reason to change in major ways, and the development time for the games is not very long whereas games like Dota 2 took ages to develop and get the balance correct.

I voted reach with v7 in mind (of course). I think it would have a lot of potential if we could make a v8 to just fix minion things to work better with NBNS. Maybe speeding up the Shield Recharge Rate little and shuffling the Gametypes around a bit. 

But i wouldn't mind H3 either. Just please not H4

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think this poll and thread show a lot. 94% of the community would rather play and support a four year old game than the current one.

I'd say more but my lunch is over.

Edit: It should be important to note that the decision to revert to a previous game shouldn't be based on nostalgia but rather based on enjoyment and accessibility. The hope isn't that suddenly event attendance and steam views will sky rocket to the numbers of yester year. It's all about sending a message.

I'd anything, I'd like to see Halo 3 or Reach surpass Halo 4 on the activity chart. If we can do that, I'll consider the message sent.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the whole Nostalgia > Competitiveness thing is funny to mention.

The only reason this is really even being considered is because Halo 3 is going to be free so it will have a greater opportunity. + On disc maps. Halo would be even more boring than it is now if we had tried to convert back to Reach. The game just gets stale, competitive or not. 

This community makes me sick sometimes. Nostalgia > Gameplay. Ridiculous.

Welcome to Halo. Where the community can't even tell what they really want

No other competitive scene does it as bad as Halos lol

halo 3 to ride the free release hype

there might be players who never played halo 3 before.  or players who would want to return to play halo 3 for free.    

reach v7 is better, but halo 3 for free will be more popular.  h3 will also be cheaper to run i think

Welcome to Halo. Where the community can't even tell what they really want

No other competitive scene does it as bad as Halos lol

mmm.. I think it is pretty clear what people want. (Refer to polls and RTs)  We have all been pushing for no sprint, descoping and In game ranks.  After realizing we are not getting any of that without using mods - we just say "hey why dont we just go back to the game that has all of this" & with Halo 3 being free to play soon, it makes sense.

• Upvote (+1) 7

It took you guys 10+ H4 tournaments to realize this?

Acceptance is the final stage of grieving. Sometimes it just takes a while.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I think AGL should still hold this final Halo 4 tournament, then for the next year hold regular Halo 3 tourny's, that would be so awesome!

• Downvote (-1) 1

I dont care what anyone says, H3>>>>>>as a spectator game than watching Reach on grey forge maps. Plus who knows what oldschool pros might come back if H3 is played. 

I kind of feel bad for anyone who legitimately prefers H4 or Reach but H3 is a solid game all around and would probably draw the most interest with it being free and all. I have seen Ninja and Snipedown get 500+viewers playing  H3 in 2013.

500?

When Ninja streamed H3 back a few months he was pulling over 1.2k viewers. At that same time, he'd only get 700-800 peak with H4.

Reach v7 NBNS is the best thing we've had since H2, why not use it?

Reach offers:

PROS:

-ZBNS.

-Hitscan.

-Good Forge.

CONS:

-No Ranks.

-Bad Maps.

H3 offers:

PROS:

-It's Free.

-Ranks.

-Maps.

CONS:

-Not Hitscan.

-(Might not feature MLG playlist on the 16th).

They both have their pros and cons. But H3 just has more going for it.

competitive Halo was at it's peak during H3.

Only in terms of sales and popularity. As far as functionality and competitive merit goes, you do know that shots wouldn't register on LAN, and this was something that would happen on mlg streams, right?

Reach offers:

PROS:

-ZBNS.

-Hitscan.

-Good Forge.

Halo 3's utility weapon is random, inconsistent, and lacks the range to punish players out of position because it can't cross map on any of halo 3's maps.

Reach's utility weapon is single shot, which requires more skill than burst fire, and I've never seen a bloodshot once at a LAN event, and hardly have I seen bloodshots online. Can't say the same thing about halo 3.

It seems there are a few things you're forgetting about if you think halo 3 has more going for itself than Reach. Remember that joke of a melee system where both players die in a simultaneous bash war because the netcode was so awful that the developers couldn't do much else with it?

All these nostalgia arguments are hilarious, playing Halo 3 is not nostalgic at all for me. I had fun playing it regardless what people complain about the online I always accepted it. Reach was a beer coaster within a week for me and I have barely 7 days played of H4. These games were and are utter trash in my opinion so my decision to play H3 again is solely due to there being a population again and not nostalgia. If there had been a stable population all along I likely would have never bothered picking up Reach or H4.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 3's utility weapon is random, inconsistent, and lacks the range to punish players out of position because it can't cross map on any of halo 3's maps.

Reach's utility weapon is single shot, which requires more skill than burst fire, and I've never seen a bloodshot once at a LAN event, and hardly have I seen bloodshots online. Can't say the same thing about halo 3.

It seems there are a few things you're forgetting about if you think halo 3 has more going for itself than Reach. Remember that joke of a melee system where both players die in a simultaneous bash war because the netcode was so awful that the developers couldn't do much else with it?

I hear you. Your point is very true. But the numbers speak for themselves in terms of which game the community values more. The community chooses the game based off of what the game offers. Halo 3 has more to offer.

I hear you. Your point is very true. But the numbers speak for themselves in terms of which game the community values more. The community chooses the game based off of what the game offers. Halo 3 has more to offer.

Nope. The real reason people don't want to play reach v7 is because they associate everything to do with reach with default reach, a.k.a. bloom, sprint, and AAs. 

It's not that halo 3 has more to offer, but it's rather the easier game of the two. Halo 3 has a smaller skill gap than zbns reach and people think games with smaller skill gaps are more fun. It's sad that the competitive community has become a victim of this way of thinking, but there are only so many times I can reference to shots not registering at a MLG LAN event.

• Upvote (+1) 1