iTopSide

Halo and MLG

So here's my question, what ever happened to Virgin Gaming? Somehow I remember them having a contract to all tournament play over the halo series with 343i.

Halo isn't really that profitable right now. Not much interest in the game. 

Halo will be back on the MLG circuit in 2015, maybe with Halo5/Halo XboxOne. 

Can someone make sure to save this in the archives? I'd love to see this happen (both MLG and you being a prediction wizard)

Halo isn't really that profitable right now. Not much interest in the game.

Right I agree. But thinking forward, any talk of MLG picking Halo up again for tournaments doesn't make sense due to Virgin holding rights. I remember that being a huge reason as to why COD was picked up over Halo in the first place.

With that said, unless VG and MLG merge, I don't see Halo being on the circuit again.

Right I agree. But thinking forward, any talk of MLG picking Halo up again for tournaments doesn't make sense due to Virgin holding rights. I remember that being a huge reason as to why COD was picked up over Halo in the first place.

With that said, unless VG and MLG merge, I don't see Halo being on the circuit again.

The rights thing was complete bullshit that MLG pulled on us as an excuse. 

They obviously didn't want to go "Yeah, Halo 4 blows, we're a business and here to make money, not a charity, sorry Halo."

MLG could have done Halo tournaments if they wanted to, just like how UMG did one with ease. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The people that I've talked to from MLG have sentimental value for Halo. They'd put it on the circuit if it was remotely profitable. If any game has a chance at being mediocre and still being put on -- it's Halo. 

At this point we should just hope 343 hosts a big 4v4 Halo 4 tournament.

There is no point for them to pick up Halo 4 at this point so let's hope Halo 5 is actually good and stays on the circuit.

The rights thing was complete bullshit that MLG pulled on us as an excuse.

They obviously didn't want to go "Yeah, Halo 4 blows, we're a business and here to make money, not a charity, sorry Halo."

MLG could have done Halo tournaments if they wanted to, just like how UMG did one with ease.

I had always wondered how AGL and UMG were running tournaments. I suppose I was just following that idea because I didn't want to admit Halo was a failure.

Regardless, Halo has a severely tainted name at this point. It's held afloat by a namesake and a retired national champion. I won't say it can't return to its competitive state, because where there is a will there's a way. But I'm extremely skeptical at this point.

I think what we need to hope for is COD to introduce something that breaks it's own formula as Halo did. Because honestly, I don't see Halo getting back on top on its own.

Pretty sure that top teams know information about halo before it's out for the community.

youre getting info from ninja?

Halo 2 Anny with spec mode would get Halo back in MLG   B)

Honestly probably not... A lot of the gaming community has moved on from Halo.. As much as I loved Halo 2.

MLG gonna hold a thing like what they did halo 4 and then they gonna be out the game saying everything ass. Next time we see Halo in MLG will be the highlights of mlg history

Lol you serious? Halo is the reason MLG is so popular. Like, honestly did you even know what MLG was before you played halo. MLG should be thankful for halo.

Its like being back on MLG forums in '11 reading this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think MLG wants to worry about a dwindling Halo community that happened to switch to Halo 3 a month before their Halo 4 National Championship and thinks that they would be ahead of the game to pick up a divided/confused community lol.

What would MLG gain from picking up Halo?

Are you trolling me or just trying to start a fight? I guess Halo 2 and Halo 3 being TELEVISED on National TV doesn't ring any bells either does it? Were you born yesterday or did you not even watch any MLG when it was televised?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nah, the only reason was that MLG wanted a contract that guarantees dev support, and 343i couldn't because of MSoft's contract with Virgin. Dev support meaning money to help run the tournaments.  Plus halo 4 being garbage. that helped get it dropped too. But who knows, maybe MLG has an idea to pick up Halo 3 for an event

Are you trolling me or just trying to start a fight? I guess Halo 2 and Halo 3 being TELEVISED on National TV doesn't ring any bells either does it? Were you born yesterday or did you not even watch any MLG when it was televised?

Ahhh....the memories. 227k views on USA network, 2.3k million views for the Str8 Rippin montage. Yep, Halo comp scene was never worth investing into. Dont let the shitty present state of Halo fool you, we get the right game and support there is no reason in this day and age with all the advancements to "e-sports" Halo could not do it again. Halo is what i like to call a "natural" as a comp shooter, it was designed that way. Bungie and 343 have done everything in their power to warp Halo into casual garbage to no success with Reach+H4 , but the real Halo still exists under all of the crap and is just waiting to be unleashed again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo will be back on the MLG circuit in 2015, maybe with Halo5/Halo XboxOne. 

can't say it WILL be back.  Activision might offer MLG another deal for "COD EXCLUSIVE FPS 2015" like they are doing for 2014.  

http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/16/call-of-duty-ghosts-will-make-its-e-sports-debut-at-major-league-gamings-november-event/

Halo Might be back.  depends on what happens. 

Ahhh....the memories. 227k views on USA network, 2.3k million views for the Str8 Rippin montage. Yep, Halo comp scene was not never worth investing into. Dont let the shitty present state of Halo fool you, we get the right game and support there is no reason in this day and age with all the advancements to "e-sports" Halo could not do it again. Halo is what i like to call a "natural" as a comp shooter, it was designed that way. Bungie and 343 have done everything in their power to warp Halo into casual garbage to no success with Reach+H4 , but the real Halo still exists under all of the crap and is just waiting to be unleashed again.

Let's be honest though, putting Halo on national tv was a mistake by USA and ESPN. It brought in horrible ratings compared to their other programs. I loved watching it, but I'm sure they regretted having it on their networks.

Let's be honest though, putting Halo on national tv was a mistake by USA and ESPN. It brought in horrible ratings compared to their other programs. I loved watching it, but I'm sure they regretted having it on their networks.

I have seen TV shows cancelled in shorter amounts of time than Halo/MLG was on USA   :kappa:

Halo comp scene was ballin' from 2004-2010 it was one of the largest in NA(possibly the largest from 2007- 2010 until Starcraft II) where the fan-base pre-dominantly exists and broke numerous records and of course gave rise to the largest e-sport league in NA. I dont have to sell Halo short, it was nothing short of spectacular.

I have seen TV shows cancelled in shorter amounts of time than Halo/MLG was on USAdan:kappa:

Halo comp scene was ballin' from 2004-2010 it was one of the largest in NA(possibly the largest from 2008-2010 until Starcraft II) where the fan-base pre-dominantly exists and broke numerous records.

No doubt. Halo was huge, especially from 07-10. Pro tips with big daddy T>>>

Where's Gilbert Arenas when you need him? :kappa:

No doubt. Halo was huge, especially from 07-10. Pro tips with big daddy T>>>

Where's Gilbert Arenas when you need him? :kappa:

http://vimeo.com/63545895

1:50 Gilbert Arenas Final Boss super-fan lol

I really love this shit man, Halo could die tomorrow and I still would have fantastic memories from it forever.