Sign in to follow this  
ST Trick77

Europe v5.1 Settings [No Sprint]

Just an update to what we're doing over in Europe just now. There's been quite a few changes. Here is the ruleset that will *probably* be used at our next event if testing goes well and the community are happy:

Final Changes

Removed DMR Bloom
Reduced Sniper Magnetism and Autoaim -
Reduced Railgun Magnetism Autoaim  (self explanatory)
Removed Flagnum/Magnum bloom
Reduced Rockets Magnetism and Autoaim
Reduced BR spread 
122% movement speed
95% gravity
Flag carrier speed at 90%

Gametypes

CTF

Pitfall (First to 3 Captures, flag doesn't have to be at home to score and unable to return, just reset timer to 15 seconds, like Halo 3)
Simplex
Dispatch
Skyline
 (Blocked Lifts)

TS

Abandon
Onyx
Simplex
Haven
Pitfall

Oddball

The Ark
Onyx

Source: http://www.topmid.eu/forum/topic/9350-the-european-ruleset-v1/

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just an update to what we're doing over in Europe just now. There's been quite a few changes. Here is the ruleset that will *probably* be used at our next event if testing goes well and the community are happy:

Source: http://www.topmid.eu/forum/topic/9350-the-european-ruleset-v1/

wow..you guys blocked the lifts on Skyline and brought back Oddball...salute!

the EU guys have been blessed...my only gripe is Dispatch, but good stuff all around.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Those settings look a lot better than I imagined they would. That's twice now that the EU community has left me pleasantly surprised (first, no-sprint, and now further mods including realising that BR spread is an issue and that a work-around Oddball gametype is viable). Keep it up!

EDIT: A concern I have is the removal of aim assist on the Sniper Rifle. If the normal weapons remain as easy as they are without modification then I feel as though the weapon would require more skill to be used effectively in relation to the BR/DMR/LR/Carbine than is feasible for a power weapon. I think a general reduction of aim assist across the board so (maintaining the relative balance between weapons) with a few minor adjustments for weapons you want to push a little further into a niche would be a more elegant solution overall.

So awesome, the settings are solid :), and you guys took a unique approach and improved upon the sandbox yourselves, great work.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why dont you guys  use Unity +  or at least base all the gameplay mechanics on Unity + ? (  IMO, those guys did and excellent job on those settings and  basing you ruleset on Unity + would take a lot of  testing from your hands as those settings have been tested N+1 times) 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Do they pull 150k viewers? (smash bros = outlier)

Melee at Evo 2013 was definitely the biggest Smash event in history, but it certainly isn't an outlier in terms of being a successful competitive community. Well before Evo there were plenty of large tournaments with hundreds of entrants, professional streams, the whole 9 yards. This trend has continued just as smoothly following Evo. What's perhaps most impressive is the sheer number of grassroots tournaments held each and every weekend by the players themselves. Halo has always been babied by XBL and MLG which is why it has such a piss-poor base community. Halo tournaments and even players simply getting together to play locally are relatively rare compared to Melee. If you'd like to gain a more accurate perspective of Melee's competitive scene, I highly recommend watching 

that was just released a few days ago (there are 9 parts, ~30 minutes each).

The parallel to Smash is kind of interesting. If you consider H3 and H4 to be playing the roles of Melee and Brawl respectively, you could consider the modded gametypes for H4 very much like Project: M. For those who don't know, Project: M is an extremely in depth modded version of Brawl designed to play extremely similar to Melee. The way both communities have split into "play the old game" vs. "fix the new game" is a pretty interesting dynamic.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I would've preferred to see at least one Extraction over a broken Oddball.

This has always been my NS Gametype list:

Slayer:

• Haven
  • Pitfall
  • Onyx
  • Skyline
  • Abandon

CTF:

• Pitfall 3
  • Skyline 5
  • Onyx 5
  • Simplex 5

Extraction:

• Haven

11th Gametype:

• Onyx Oddball
  • Pitfall Ricochet
  • Abandon 1-Plot Extraction
  • Skyline Oddball

I would've preferred to see at least one Extraction over a broken Oddball.

Our Oddball is no-throw and droppable using the extraction bomb instead of the oddball, it works seamlessly. Unless there's something broken about it?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Our Oddball is no-throw and droppable using the extraction bomb instead of the oddball, it works seamlessly. Unless there's something broken about it?

Didn't realize you were using that mod for oddball.

I'll rephrase my statement:

I'd prefer an unmodded Extraction gametype (which I prefer over oddball anyway) over a heavily modded and strange oddball gametype.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Didn't realize you were using that mod for oddball.

I'll rephrase my statement:

I'd prefer an unmodded Extraction gametype (which I prefer over oddball anyway) over a heavily modded and strange oddball gametype.

Agreed, I would definitely put in an Extraction over a TS. Still don't know why we (NA+EU) use Onyx and Simplex. THEY ARE THE SAME MAP. Pick one and let the other go.

Apart from that, good shit on the EU settings, they look really solid. 

The oddball gametype itself works exactly the same as in old halos, except you hold a different object. Being able to drop the ball without launching it in front of you is such a blessing (funny how the little things missing from the game make it play so much better). It's a much missed gametype and plays incredibly, ridiculously well on Onyx. Personally not the biggest fan of it on The Ark so I'd agree with you in the sense that I'd prefer an extraction over that particular gametype, but removing our oddball altogether is ridiculous once you've given it a go!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wow those settings look great the only thing is why are you guy's sticking with the default shield recharge rate it's awful especially when there's no need since you're playing no sprint settings I'd change is the wait time to 4 seconds and recharge rate too 110% because that is the closest you can get to H2/H3 shield recharge time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agreed, I would definitely put in an Extraction over a TS. Still don't know why we (NA+EU) use Onyx and Simplex. THEY ARE THE SAME MAP. Pick one and let the other go.

Apart from that, good shit on the EU settings, they look really solid.

Onyx has more lines of sight so it plays better for slayer, Simplex has that style of 3-lane combat that suits CTF better.

Onyx has more lines of sight so it plays better for slayer, Simplex has that style of 3-lane combat that suits CTF better.

Ehh, I'd still like to see a better variation of maps. TS is the least competitive gametype so it would make sense to put an Extraction in there. Either take out Simplex TS or Pit TS. 

Ehh, I'd still like to see a better variation of maps. TS is the least competitive gametype so it would make sense to put an Extraction in there. Either take out Simplex TS or Pit TS. 

These gametypes might be played at i50, so if they have common sense they will need balanced BO5's, and therefore 5 TS's, and 6 OBJ's (Even numbers for each gametype)

These gametypes might be played at i50, so if they have common sense they will need balanced BO5's, and therefore 5 TS's, and 6 OBJ's (Even numbers for each gametype)

True, still not a fan of so many TS's. :(

True, still not a fan of so many TS's. :(

I completely agree, from a pure skill/team orientation standpoint, objective is far better.

Team Slayer has just become the staple of Halo gameplay so people recognize it quickly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are people so insistent on having 5 TS and 6 OBJ? There's no rhyme or reason for it. Yeah, I can understand not wanting a series being ALL CTF and another series being ALL slayer, but that doesn't mean they need to be balanced perfectly. If there are only 2-3 decent TS gametypes, then oh well. Most people that try to argue about balancing gametypes seem to think that you are benefitting certain teams over others by removing all or most of the TS, but you can create your gametypes to cater to certain teams. You should simply make the most skillful gametypes possible, and if teams can't win because they suck at CTF and there are more CTF gametypes than other gametypes, too bad for them. They should get good at CTF.

Obviously this isn't possible at this point in time, but MLG should have picked 20-most competitive gametypes and put them into the playlist. Then for each event, you pick certain gametypes for each round and balance them so you don't have a ton of the same gametype in a particular round.

For what it's worth, I think TS could work in competitive Halo because it really does have enough strategy in it with power weapons. The only problem is we try to play TS on maps that aren't good for it. I'd wouldn't mind playing TS on an asymmetrical map with lots of power weapons and powerups to control. The only other gametypes that work on asyms are Ball and KotH, and those definitely don't work on all asyms, so TS is the perfect substitute for maps where no other gametype quite fits. Unfortunately, people just want to play TS on every map despite the obvious truth being TS is like any other gametype in that it only plays good on certain kinds of maps.

Hello again, I finally got round to making Tricks Take episode 4, and in this episode I talk about the recent change to the NS settings and also the American Halo scene returning to Halo 3.  There is a new intro with a new overlay, let me know what you guys think of it, this episode is shorter then usual as well.

Comments and feedback always appreciated, make sure to select 1080p for best quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EmqoZ1kS51E

yup..

it's a sad reality. They'll continue to give us the Red X's and the 4 shot guns to try and keep us fed a little, but we're never getting the full meal. 343's Halo is going to be filled with sprint, AA's and loadouts till Halo is no more..

You truly believe this? I know I do to sometimes but every now and then I get a glimmer of hope.

Best case realistic scenario

H5 is equal to H3 with better mechanics.

H6 is on par with H1 & H2

Honestly H3 was pretty fucking solid. All it was missing was a better utility weapon and faster movement speed. In mu opinion, the equipment was a great addition for casuals. Great. Best of all if you didn't like it within 30s in forge you could remove them. H3 also had pretty good maps. Ironically it lacked in good quality BTB maps. 4v4 maps were good. Just need better weapon layouts and power ups.

EDIT: Halo 3 did a lot of little things right. They brought in Bumper Jumper, Tool of destruction in post game lobby, the sniper medal only given on headshots....

• Upvote (+1) 1

So will i51 be halo 3?, if so I'm going!

No decision on anything yet Im afraid, we need to see what happens to the community after this event, a lot of people are talking about going to Cod.

So will i51 be halo 3?, if so I'm going!

As Trick mentioned it's undecided mostly because the advertisement for the venue at present is Halo 4. So the odds of going back to an older game and having is supported isn't likely. I doubt there will be a major Halo 3 tournament unless it's hosted. Say BYOC (bring your own console) and it's run privately rather than set up around the venue along with the other titles. Prize money would be low as well. Personally I believe i50 will be the last ever Halo 4 event. After that it's anybodies game until Halo 5.