CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

perhaps you are right.  I have personally never noticed a difference in the back of the bases.  What difference exactly are you talking about?

Also technically narrows is asymmetrical- but only slightly so.

dem icicles.

The differences is the ramps behind red and blue bases.

Exapmle:

Go to back red and look through the basement towards bottom mid. You'll notice the on you left (yellow side) is the ramp with the AR at the top and on your right (purple side) has the ramp with the boltshot on the top.

Now go to back blue and look through the basement at bottom mid. You'll notice that the ramp with the AR is on your left (Purple side) and the Boltshot ramp is on your right (yellow side).

To be symmetrical...both of the AR ramps have to be on the same side of the base relative to (1) one of the side towers (either purple or gold).

Like I said before, personally I don't think that this difference affects the gameplay...I mean its not like we're trying to play CTF Lockout here lol.

What? Are you saying that simplex isn't a symmetrical map? Cause it is.. unless you are talking of the first few versions of the map. Cause that was more of a functional symmetrical map.

No, Im talking about the current v4 Simplex

We shouldn't get rid of Slayer. Slayer is one of the only gametypes that work well with asymmetrical maps.

We shouldn't get rid of Slayer. Slayer is one of the only gametypes that work well with asymmetrical maps.

I think Extraction, Hill, and round based variants of CTF or Ricochet could all work pretty well too.

I'd go one further though and say that if we want Slayer to be a deeper gametype it should only be played on asymmetric maps. It's obviously more difficult to balance that way, but I think the gametype gets a lot deeper for it if done right.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd go one further though and say that if we want Slayer to be a deeper gametype it should only be played on asymmetric maps. It's obviously more difficult to balance that way, but I think the gametype gets a lot deeper for it if done right.

Word.

The differences is the ramps behind red and blue bases.

Exapmle:

Go to back red and look through the basement towards bottom mid. You'll notice the on you left (yellow side) is the ramp with the AR at the top and on your right (purple side) has the ramp with the boltshot on the top.

Now go to back blue and look through the basement at bottom mid. You'll notice that the ramp with the AR is on your left (Purple side) and the Boltshot ramp is on your right (yellow side).

To be symmetrical...both of the AR ramps have to be on the same side of the base relative to (1) one of the side towers (either purple or gold).

Like I said before, personally I don't think that this difference affects the gameplay...I mean its not like we're trying to play CTF Lockout here lol.

The back of the bases are inverse symmetrical, while the rest of the map is symmetrical.  I'm not really sure what you call it when you combine symmetrical and inverse symmetrical in one map, lol.

I think Extraction, Hill, and round based variants of CTF or Ricochet could all work pretty well too.

Word.

Only because I think it's relevant, you guys should check out this idea for asymmetric slayer and tell me if you like it/ if it's completely stupid/ whatever your opinion is:

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/2876-idea-for-slayer-on-asymmetric-maps/

Basically I think it's just a way to have all the good aspects of asymmetric slayer (the cool power-positions struggle/ how you react off the spawn to your situation) while making it completely balanced for both teams with the exception of a tie.

Wait, What? Why are we even discussing the possibility of removing slayer gametypes? Did i miss something? 

Only because I suggested it. lol

Hey, at least it's resulted in some good discussion. I definitely think the balance of slayer on asyms is a point worth bringing up because that tends to help a lot in terms of stalemate issues as long as the map has plenty of paths to each area (Construct, Lockout/Guardian, etc). Still, I would rather play Ball or KotH on asyms. Actually, has anyone tried playing Ricochet on an asym where there is a single goal for both teams and it moves around? That would be pretty sick. It'd basically be a combination of Assault and KotH. :D

• Upvote (+1) 2

I definitely agree that slayers should be played on asyms.

I also like that idea of ricochet in asyms with a moving goal. That sounds fun.

Im extraordinarily disappointed in Ghostayame and how little he has communicated with the community on this thread. In the beginning, I actually felt like my input mattered, but now it's pretty clear he's just doing whatever he feels is right. Lame

• Upvote (+1) 1

The back of the bases are inverse symmetrical, while the rest of the map is symmetrical.  I'm not really sure what you call it when you combine symmetrical and inverse symmetrical in one map, lol.

It's hard to define Simplex's symmetry now, but all I can say is that it still doesn't play asymmetrical in the slightest.

I honestly think SaLoT did that so he could say he made an asymmetric map in H4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Im extraordinarily disappointed in Ghostayame and how little he has communicated with the community on this thread. In the beginning, I actually felt like my input mattered, but now it's pretty clear he's just doing whatever he feels is right. Lame

I mean there are a lot of opinions on here. It is hard for one person to answer them all but I asked to test v5 with other good teams so I will mostly likely stream them and post them to Youtube so you guys have viewpoints and can dicuss them :D

Apologies for the delayed responses and updates. I've been extremely busy with the Halo4GC Tournament, switching apartments, starting school, and visiting my family. It's been a hectic month for me, but I am returning home today. For the next few weeks, I will be actively testing anything and everything in order to prepare for the v5 launch at the end of September. Once again, I apologize for the lack of communication, but stay tuned for periodic updates from the test sessions!

-Ghost

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Apologies for the delayed responses and updates. I've been extremely busy with the Halo4GC Tournament, switching apartments, starting school, and visiting my family. It's been a hectic month for me, but I am returning home today. For the next few weeks, I will be actively testing anything and everything in order to prepare for the v5 launch at the end of September. Once again, I apologize for the lack of communication, but stay tuned for periodic updates from the test sessions!

-Ghost

Will v5 be used for AGL Indy?

-Ghost

I think it would be good to do small updates in this thread periodically. For example, since these last weeks were so crazy and you haven't had much time on your hands, you can maybe chime in here and there and say, oh I heard people want to test OS on haven? Ok that's noted I will include that in my tests.

Hell if you want i can search for you and compile all the reasonable ideas in regards to testing, and provide you with a checklist. I don't agree with all these ideas or suggestions, but regardless we should leave no stone unturned.

I doubt weekly logs or timelines would work out ideally, but I would put money on it that the community would be more content if you can stop by and say "ok I do plan on testing that".

I don't follow you on twitter, so if possible id rather have the updates posted here.

It's hard to define Simplex's symmetry now, but all I can say is that it still doesn't play asymmetrical in the slightest.

I honestly think SaLoT did that so he could say he made an asymmetric map in H4.

He certainly didn't pass up many opportunities to remind people that it was asymmetrical.

• Upvote (+1) 1

He certainly didn't pass up many opportunities to remind people that it was asymmetrical.

I think it is gameplay affecting though- although perhaps not noticeably so.  

The difference is there though, and it's large enough to matter (like open/closed on construct basically.)

Haven Ricochet has some serious spawning issues. Static spawns in general on Haven induce spawn trapping quite easily...

Also throwing the ball into the goal is somewhat game-breaking ESPECIALLY on an open map like Haven.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There haven't been any DLC required playlists since H3 (other than DLC launching playlists and Anniversary.)

DLC required playlists have been long gone for several years now. It sucks because 1. Buyers RARELY play the maps they paid for and 2. The maps suck anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ricochet has as much competitive value as Grifball.  Like yeah you can take it seriously, but like come on.  It's Halo football.

Haven Ricochet has some serious spawning issues. Static spawns in general on Haven induce spawn trapping quite easily...

Also throwing the ball into the goal is somewhat game-breaking ESPECIALLY on an open map like Haven.

You can't judge the viability of a gametype based off of the default matchmaking spawns. And the throwing is easily countered by "playing goalie." you can always see where the ball carrier is so if you see him in a spot where he can score, get between him and the goal.

• Upvote (+1) 3