CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

I hate two plot abandoned extraction. Is that what people are suggesting?

I'm going to guess 1 plot because 2 plot was previously played on Abandon and a lot of people hated it. 

We need to test overshield in place of railgun on haven... Its what's in the topmid settings and I highly agree with it!

Along with this. I think we should offer an olive branch to TM so they feel as included as possible with the upcoming V5 settings.

I think some simple and valid considerations could be:

-Replacing the scattershot with the shotgun

-Removing ordnance markers

-implementing AA on the map

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hate two plot abandoned extraction. Is that what people are suggesting?

I'd like to see 2 plot again, but I know it's not popular enough to happen. At this point I've given up on looking at 4v4 Extraction as something hugely unique and treat it more as a fill in for KotH.

Along with this. I think we should offer an olive branch to TM so they feel as included as possible with the upcoming V5 settings.

Well the removal of Markers is done for sure in V5. I think we use scatter because it's a lot more consistent on LAN then shotgun, I'm ok with shotgun though. And other then Jetpack on station 9 i don't think we use and AA's on map. I think getting this side to agree on more AA's is going to be a real tough sell. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd like to see 2 plot again, but I know it's not popular enough to happen. At this point I've given up on looking at 4v4 Extraction as something hugely unique and treat it more as a fill in for KotH.

Needs a better map. I'm no fan of 2 or 3 but abandoned is clearly not the map for it in my opinion. The spawns are too random.

EXT on Abandon is ass no matter how many plots we use...

Agreed, I would prefer to see Haven EXT and Orion EXT.

I believe TM uses Boltshots instead of Scatter/Shotgun. 

I will probably cry if they take out Simplex CTF especially if they put in Onyx CTF in its place. :(  :salt:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I will probably cry if they take out Simplex CTF especially if they put in Onyx CTF in its place. :(  :salt:

I only want to Onyxs used as a FFA NEVER used for anything else PLEASE!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm much more of a Simplex CTF fan then Onyx CTF. No fixes to the spawns will make Onyx CTF play great in my opinion. 

We should really make the middle structure on Simplex smaller though. Or at least make it so you can't make it to top middle from red/blue bases, With ANY sort of jump tricks. Iv'e played a version where you couldn't make that jump and the map has such a better flow to it. With no sprint the map is amazing and part of that is you can't make that jump.

The Onyx CTF game at i49 between MGS & Outbreak was a really solid match. I'd link it, but I can't seem to find any VoD on Youtube.

6b561104549135d9eb1e32fcabc2a01f.png

I guess Ricochet is now looking more hopeful for v5. If that comes in, that will provide us with more variation and hopefully we won't have to play maps like S9/Dispatch any more.

I'm ok if it still comes out in september.  I just didn't want a november release.

Taking time to test ricochet more makes sense to me.

I really don't see why people want Station 9 out. I personally believe it focuses on more teamwork than any other map. Rotating to new extractions, knowing when to go for a convert, giving up on an extraction, organizing pushes, and how vital it is to stay alive are all aspects to this map that I really enjoy. Staying alive, in my opinion is the biggest on that map, only because if a player dies then your down numbers, and that can mean trouble for a player's teammates. In short, I think it forces a lot of players to think on what they need to do in a given situation.

Seriously though, I'm excited to see Ricochet being tested. I enjoy the hell out of that gametype, especially when clutch interceptions happen. 

Station 9 does not focus more on teamwork than the other maps.  This is an illusion created by the simplistic and linear nature of the map.

It's just that on station 9 you *are forced* to work as a team even against scrubs because the map is nothing but tight corridors and is by far the easiest map to master in the game.  Teamshooting still exists on other maps y'know.  You just might not be forced to teamshoot on abandon as often in matchmaking because the skill gap is so much higher on that map.

Also, I really don't see how haven ricochet could work.  I'm definitely in favor of skyline over it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I know it's a pipedream considering how close V5 is but I would prefer ordinance to be scrapped and AA's be placed on the map on 1-2 min timers (1 min for Hologram / TP, 2 min for Hardlight and jet pack?).

Nothing but positives really; as it would get rid of some of the unpredictability of not knowing what AA enemy players had (as you could make educated guesses of which ones were in play due to map limit and where they were placed), plus it could also provide incentive to travel to areas of the map which don't see much traffic.

Some possible ideas:

Haven extraction: Imagine a hardlight which spawned on a 1-2 min timer on bottom Mid. Could make for some fantastic team play when extracting or some clutch conversions, especially on site B.

Haven Slayer: Thruster packs on 1-2 min timers on the bottom of red / blue streets, in between the two pillars?

Abandon Slayer: A jet pack which spawned gold court (perhaps too close to sniper?), and could make for some skillful plays controlling Ring 4? (Similar to Ring 3 Control in v7 sanc)

I definitely feel like we are being more 'faithful' to vanilla Halo 4 by placing AA's on the map this way, as it allows us to be more diverse within the sandbox by using some of the more overpowered AA's and allowing teams to fight over them, rather than the current system of awarding (less useful) AA's in a sporadic fashion throughout a match via ordinance.

• Upvote (+1) 3

A jetpack on Abandon completely ruins the map.

You think it would be game-breaking in a competitive setting with only one on the map on a two-three minute timer?

Sure in pubs it does, when 2-3 people are using it off spawn alongside bolt shots and all the other random bs. I don't think it would be too bad only appearing 2-3 times a match and the person only having it for one life.

It's pretty easy to counter with team shot yet can be really effective if used intelligently.

I'm struggling to see how it would break abandon if it was implemented in this sense, when it certainly didn't in v7 sanc or countdown?

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Personally I feel that if AAs are used they should all have a flat 60 second respawn timer. They're nowhere near as big of a deal as any power weapon or powerup, so I don't see how they could be justified a long timer, especially if we get the 90s OS.

You want minor boosts like this to be in play often enough that they're actually something to consider often while playing and not just a minor gimmick that gets ignored in most games.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Personally I feel that if AAs are used they should all have a flat 60 second respawn timer. They're nowhere near as big of a deal as any power weapon or powerup, so I don't see how they could be justified a long timer, especially if we get the 90s OS.

You want minor boosts like this to be in play often enough that they're actually something to consider often while playing and not just a minor gimmick that gets ignored in most games.

60 second timer would be great, as AA's are (arguably) more balanced in this game then reach.

I just don't understand after seeing how great they can be to add to the games meta when placed on the map like the mlg playlist of reach, we received more balanced AA's yet they are implemented in a way which I suspect the majority of players do not care for.

EDIT: the only reason I suggested long timers was because I'd be extremely wary of AA's in play too often.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The thing about AAs being "in play too often" is an interesting point that I think can be approached from several angles. Would you say that "in play" refers to actually being in use, or just in possession of a player at that moment? Both are valid definitions, but I think the concern should be with overuse rather than being overly present.

Another balancing check would be the set the run time max to be equal the number of that particular AA spawning on the map - this prevents an AA being picked up and respawning if the player who picked it up outlives the 60 second respawn time. The AA would then respawn as soon as the player died if that timer was extended. 
The downside to this is arguably that it makes AAs difficult to control for anyone but the player who had them last, but I think that could be worth preventing teams from accruing multiple Jetpacks or Hardlight Shields at the same time. Or maybe that's just another facet of potential metagame, I can see it both ways and it really depends on how it plays out after a given length of time.

Alternatively we could use Initial Ordnance just for AAs - their labels have a much smaller "vision" radius than weapons (approximately 30m for AAs vs 90m for weapons & powerups) which would ensure consistent respawns after being picked up and would lead to better identification of the AA (a lot of the actual AA models when placed normally are identical or almost nondescript) and would allow both teams a more reasonable opportunity to keep tabs on the timer should they feel it to be relevant. I could certainly imagine knowing when a Jetpack, HLS, or even Camo - if it gets tested and works out - will respawn to be important on certain maos and gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What do you guys think if the initial spawns on Haven got changed to blue/red window?

I prefer the opening strats from Blue/Red Ramp.

Don't fix what isn't broken I guess

The thing about AAs being "in play too often" is an interesting point that I think can be approached from several angles. Would you say that "in play" refers to actually being in use, or just in possession of a player at that moment? Both are valid definitions, but I think the concern should be with overuse rather than being overly present.

Another balancing check would be the set the run time max to be equal the number of that particular AA spawning on the map - this prevents an AA being picked up and respawning if the player who picked it up outlives the 60 second respawn time. The AA would then respawn as soon as the player died if that timer was extended. 

The downside to this is arguably that it makes AAs difficult to control for anyone but the player who had them last, but I think that could be worth preventing teams from accruing multiple Jetpacks or Hardlight Shields at the same time. Or maybe that's just another facet of potential metagame, I can see it both ways and it really depends on how it plays out after a given length of time.

Alternatively we could use Initial Ordnance just for AAs - their labels have a much smaller "vision" radius than weapons (approximately 30m for AAs vs 90m for weapons & powerups) which would ensure consistent respawns after being picked up and would lead to better identification of the AA (a lot of the actual AA models when placed normally are identical or almost nondescript) and would allow both teams a more reasonable opportunity to keep tabs on the timer should they feel it to be relevant. I could certainly imagine knowing when a Jetpack, HLS, or even Camo - if it gets tested and works out - will respawn to be important on certain maos and gametypes.

Sorry I should have clarified, by 'too often in play' I was generalising the usage of AA's by players to the point of where it would be detriment to the core experience.  All the points you mentioned are valid options for controlling this scenario however.

I just find it interesting that I can (safely) say the majority of this community wants AA's balanced in H5 by placing them on the map rather than spawning with them, yet we don't start this process now in our own community playlist?

Using the weaker AA's through ordinance is a waste; when we can place stronger ones on the map and allow teams to compete for them? Things like Jetpack are unique to our game and can be a benefit to the games meta if they are implemented in a balanced fashion.

A jetpack on Abandon completely ruins the map.

It ruins every map. The only movement AA we should have is the thruster. Losing map control means nothing when you can instantly fly to it. We have ramps and lifts for a reason...use them, stop making the game so damn easy....force players to think more when it comes to taking back control or attacking an area instead of "Jetpack is up!!!...i got it....i'm flying up to ring 3 to break their setup"

smh

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It ruins every map. The only movement AA we should have is the thruster. Losing map control means nothing when you can instantly fly to it. We have ramps and lifts for a reason...use them, stop making the game so damn easy....force players to think more when it comes to taking back control or attacking an area instead of "Jetpack is up!!!...i got it....i'm flying up to ring 3 to break their setup" < Isn't it your right to punish the other team with it if you win control, like any power weapon?

smh

Stop making the game so easy? Why don't we remove rockets, rail-gun, OS etc by that logic, they are all 'easy' ways to break the other teams set up or make pushes yourself.

I'm not talking about everyone spawning with a jetpack, or it being available through personal ordinance, I'm talking about  having one on the map with an appropriate timer which teams can compete for to gain an advantage.

Yes it breaks map movement (instant verticality) and disrupts map control, but that's the nature of the advantage it provides teams and therefore the value of bothering to control it. IMO it takes a lot more intelligence and skill to utilise jetpack effectively to control the map then it does to get OS or rockets and then bum rush into their base.  

Plus placing AA's on the map is something that a large portion of this community has been vocal about, so why not start now with our own playlist and be an example going into Halo 5? 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1