CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

Dispatch and Station 9 are on the circuit for only one reason.

Salot made them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dispatch and Station 9 are on the circuit for only one reason.

Salot made them.

It doesn't explain dispatch (it was a 343 forge map), but it surely does explain Station 9.

37027845.jpg

Credit to SpinCycle, who I don't reckon posts on BE anymore.

It doesn't explain dispatch (it was a 343 forge map), but it surely does explain Station 9.

37027845.jpg

Credit to SpinCycle, who I don't reckon posts on BE anymore.

Not sure I follow you, because Salot did make Dispatch. It was based on Relay which was was a 343 on disc forge.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've enjoyed Station 9 from time to time, but the guys who are saying it has very linear gameplay is right. At the very most you have 4 options to reach top middle. Very rarely will you ever have a team use 3 or all 4 options when pushing for a conversion. At the very most you have 2-3 options to reach any other extraction point. Rarely will you use more than the 2 options to push.

The gameplay gets watered down because do to the forced nature of the map. What it does come down to is how well your team can teamshot and hold down the extraction sites. That does require some team skill, but there is very little depth that you can add into the gameplay. I'm ok with having a few maps that put such emphasis on linear team shot based gameplay, but station 9 can definitely be improved.

For V5's sake, I say just keep adding tested maps that work for the time being because I'm sick of playing the same shit over and over. I have no idea how many maps are in V5, but there feels like there are 5. Remember, the Throwdown playlist doesn't have to exactly reflect AGL's settings or vice versa. Remember how much fun it was in Halo 2 to play Warlock Ball or Midship Assault? Or either on KoTH? They weren't the most competitively sound map + gametype combos, but it was nice to add more variety to the playlist than what you played at events, lans, or customs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

S9 is too basic, get over it.

Okay, I've been working quite a bit on Vertigo, because I see it similar to Abandon; it can definitely work but will need a lot of work to get it playing well.

I have a version in my fileshare named Vertigo TEST3 which I would like you guys to test and give feedback on. A bit of information about the changes made to Ghost's original TEST version:

-Spawns are the same (blue at beach, red up top), but the loadout cameras have been adjusted slightly to include better views of the shock tower aesthetics)

-Rockets still down bottom to keep the weapon layout at least somewhat relative to default, also there are no obvious reasons why it can't be down there so it stays there for now at least.

-The large natural cave has been completely opened, but the opposite smaller cave has been blocked. This is because in tournaments when money is on the line, having too many movement options can be detrimental, especially when they are that safe to move though. Having one side blocked gives a bit more structure and predictability to the map which is especially important with sprint in play.

-OS has been moved into the big natural cave in the middle of the high walkway in there, equidistant from both team's spawns.

-Red Snipe has been moved further towards the back of the map, and up high so that it is not so close to the new OS location

-Blue snipe has been left where is, but now no longer respawns.

-The location of snipes in this variant helps to balance the fact that one team spawns top map and the other at beach; beach spawners can pick their sniper up on the way to OS and use it to help secure OS (difficult angles to use it on, but it is an advantage nonetheless), while top map spawners cannot pick their sniper up 'on the way' (it is now above and behind their initial spawn, so they have to jump up and backtrack a few meters to grab it). This means top spawners have to rely solely on their BRs in the initial fight for OS. Rockets are still fair game to both teams though.

-Added weak anti zone to the top level of the square structure at the top of the map, as this is the biggest power position of the map. The area is large and needs respawn points, but I felt that players were spawning there too often and being given free kills because of it (high spawn points get MUCH more immediate firing access to the rest of the map, compared to the more appropriate low spawn points).

Download here, 

http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/k2five%20tsw/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=bf1e914e-bcb8-42b9-8a61-22b03b95fce5

or find it in my fileshare; K2Five TSW

Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I've enjoyed Station 9 from time to time, but the guys who are saying it has very linear gameplay is right. At the very most you have 4 options to reach top middle. Very rarely will you ever have a team use 3 or all 4 options when pushing for a conversion. At the very most you have 2-3 options to reach any other extraction point. Rarely will you use more than the 2 options to push.

The gameplay gets watered down because do to the forced nature of the map. What it does come down to is how well your team can teamshot and hold down the extraction sites. That does require some team skill, but there is very little depth that you can add into the gameplay. I'm ok with having a few maps that put such emphasis on linear team shot based gameplay, but station 9 can definitely be improved.

For V5's sake, I say just keep adding tested maps that work for the time being because I'm sick of playing the same shit over and over. I have no idea how many maps are in V5, but there feels like there are 5. Remember, the Throwdown playlist doesn't have to exactly reflect AGL's settings or vice versa. Remember how much fun it was in Halo 2 to play Warlock Ball or Midship Assault? Or either on KoTH? They weren't the most competitively sound map + gametype combos, but it was nice to add more variety to the playlist than what you played at events, lans, or customs.

AGL uses Throwdown settings, not the other way around.

• Upvote (+1) 2

AGL uses Throwdown settings, not the other way around.

Thats what I figured, hence why I included both options in the original post.

Vice Versa essentially means the other way around.

Thats what I figured, hence why I included both options in the original post.

Vice Versa essentially means the other way around.

To my knowledge, the MLG playlist has ALWAYS mirrored the LAN gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember there being a few gametypes in Reach and H3 in the playlist at various points in time that didn't correlate with live events. I'm sure Retroactive was in the playlist in Reach for a short period of time, and I seem to remember Citadel being in the H3 MLG FFA playlist alongside Heretic despite only Heretic appearing at events (to my knowledge, this was quite a while ago now).

Not sure I follow you, because Salot did make Dispatch. It was based on Relay which was was a 343 on disc forge.

That's what I'm saying. Dispatch is in on the basis of familiarity because Relay was the first forge map ever showcased and played. SaLoT's just the one who cleaned it up, and now Ghost thinks it's worth keeping.

As for Station 9 ..... SaLoT made it, and apparently people have a hard on for tunnel raids.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can't comment on Reach. I also don't see what this has to do with anything relating to what I said, unless that mean you disagree with my idea of implementing additional gametypes in which AGL won't use. Or is that just a "fun fact"?

I remember there being a few gametypes in Reach and H3 in the playlist at various points in time that didn't correlate with live events. I'm sure Retroactive was in the playlist in Reach for a short period of time, and I seem to remember Citadel being in the H3 MLG FFA playlist alongside Heretic despite only Heretic appearing at events (to my knowledge, this was quite a while ago now).

Exactly. They were close and usually coincide with each other but they weren't always up to date as the events. Besides MLG was using and testing its own settings before a playlist even launched as MLG playlist. There was a lot of variety between V1 and V5, and they did do a good job of keeping it up to date for the most part. Early on was awkward because there were online GB and offline MLG settings.

Yeah station 9 is waaay to basic- (kind of like dispatch).  Yes- you have to teamshoot.  Well guess what- against good teams you have to teamshoot on other maps as well.  All what station 9 does is lower the skill gap soo much to where you have to teamshoot even when playing against randoms by pushing at the same time down a linear hallway.  It's the easiest map by far to master.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Why wasn't anyone saying all these things about Station 9 from the get go?

It was too basic and linear to begin with.

• Upvote (+1) 2

because rockets+jetpacks man!  :ninja:

It's always been a 50/50 split from the community (as far as I can tell)

Tournament matches are no doubt very competitive, and Rockets work undoubtedly well on that map, it's just that some people would prefer a map less linear for Extraction.

it was said since day one....no clue why the map stuck around for this long...

It's always been a 50/50 split from the community (as far as I can tell)

Tournament matches are no doubt very competitive, and Rockets work undoubtedly well on that map, it's just that some people would prefer a map less linear for Extraction.

I think it's more like... some (most?) people would prefer a map less linear that didn't ONLY play Extraction.

I think the last time Ghost commented in this thread was three weeks ago. We clearly are contributing little to nothing to his decision

I think the last time Ghost commented in this thread was three weeks ago. We clearly are contributing little to nothing to his decision

While I agree that it would be nice for Ghost to communicate with us regularly, that doesn't mean he isn't reading and taking these suggestions into account. He did state on his Twitter that he reads every comment in the v5 thread so I don't see why that would have changed. 

While I agree that it would be nice for Ghost to communicate with us regularly, that doesn't mean he isn't reading and taking these suggestions into account. He did state on his Twitter that he reads every comment in the v5 thread so I don't see why that would have changed. 

how do you read 3 weeks of feedback without making one single post? that must be some serious self control..

how do you read 3 weeks of feedback without making one single post? that must be some serious self control..

Some people react to feedback differently. I'm not saying that staying quiet is a good or bad thing but not everyone is as vocal as the community expects.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some people react to feedback differently. I'm not saying that staying quiet is a good or bad thing but not everyone is as vocal as the community expects.

I get that...but being the creator of gametypes and settings...shouldn't one be a bit more...vocal? This isn't some random guy checking out the thread...it's the person making stuff for throwdown. Guess we gotta wait till v5 comes to see what's going on up to this point...wish we had a bit more info on what has been happening the past few weeks.

I get that...but being the creator of gametypes and settings...shouldn't one be a bit more...vocal? This isn't some random guy checking out the thread...it's the person making stuff for throwdown. Guess we gotta wait till v5 comes to see what's going on up to this point...

Yeah, I agree that it is a bit frustrating but I don't know his situation. he could be really busy with other things like the GC etc. :/