CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

The shotgun should replace the scattershot, no questions asked. It takes more skill to use (the ROF punishes you for missing), it isn't random and i think it has a bit less range as well.

Yup

The Shotgun turned Wolfmayne into a Pro Player overnight. He was posting 24 shotgun kills nearly every objective game.

-Ghost

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The Shotgun turned Wolfmayne into a Pro Player overnight. He was posting 24 shotgun kills nearly every objective game.

-Ghost

Wasn't that when we had to use the make shift modified damage settings to create a 4sk BR which in turn made every other weapon more powerful? Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Wasn't that when we had to use the make shift modified damage settings to create a 4sk BR which in turn made every other weapon more powerful? Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I'm almost certain that he was averaging that number before the damage tweaks, but I could be wrong.

-Ghost

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

-Ghost

Damn. I'm assuming that was with no spare clips?

Damn. I'm assuming that was with no spare clips?

Yeah, I believe it was. I would still like to see a 0 clip Shotgun tested instead of Scatter. Just in case it was with the modified damage settings. The RoF on the Scatter is ridiculous, not to mention the gun being quite random online. At least you get punished if you miss with the Shotgun once.

What is the reasoning behind keeping Adrift? We dont need it for Splitscreen because we have Pit.

What is the reasoning behind keeping Adrift? We dont need it for Splitscreen because we have Pit.

Pit is DLC and as we have seen with Skyline and Forge Island (Onyx), there are issues with getting them to work sometimes at tournaments. I don't think we can rely on Pit working.

Furthermore, I think he feels Adrift brings a unique quality to the experience and has produced some of the most exciting plays at AGL.

It's not the best CTF map we've had and the spawns could do with some work (Ghost may have fixed them for v5, we'll have to see) but it brings a different experience to the table and I'd rather be playing Adrift than Dispatch/Station 9.

• Upvote (+1) 4

-Ghost

Ok, so he was good with the shotty, it happens. I have never seen anyone go crazy with it, especially with a zero clip. Maybe he timed the weapon and put it to good use, that shouldn't be the reason it gets removed when it's a more consistent weapon that the scattershot. 

-Ghost

What about this:

The Sniper turned Snipedown into a Pro Player overnight. He was posting 24 sniper kills nearly every objective game.

Devil's Advocate: Does that mean that the Sniper is OP / shouldn't be included? I'm curious to hear your input on this.

The shotgun kills was using the bootleg 4sk. We should have shottys in the same lobbies as the 90 second OS so we can test effectiveness

What about this:

The Sniper turned Snipedown into a Pro Player overnight. He was posting 24 sniper kills nearly every objective game.

Devil's Advocate: Does that mean that the Sniper is OP / shouldn't be included? I'm curious to hear your input on this.

Sniping takes about 1000x more skill than a shotgun with a massive reticle. Snipe down is a pro because he mastered a very difficult weapon. Wolfmayne mastered a very easy weapon

What about this:

Overnight? He had been playing since Halo 2, and gradually became great with it. His overnight success wasn't attributed to a weapon being introduced into the settings. The Wolfmayne response wasn't the most professional answer, and consequently, I haven't received the most professional replies. In my opinion, it's an overpowered weapon in its intended range. However, in order to satisfy your yearn for answers, I'll start testing the Shotgun, Beam Rifle, Incineration Cannon, Binary Rifle, Promethean Vision, etc. This is not a joke. I feel that the only way to finalize an ultimatum for these requests is to give them a fair shot.

-Ghost

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Overnight? He had been playing since Halo 2, and gradually became great with it. His overnight success wasn't attributed to a weapon being introduced into the settings. The Wolfmayne response wasn't the most professional answer, and consequently, I haven't received the most professional replies. In my opinion, it's an overpowered weapon in its intended range. However, in order to satisfy your yearn for answers, I'll start testing the Shotgun, Beam Rifle, Incineration Cannon, Binary Rifle, Promethean Vision, etc. This is not a joke. I feel that the only way to finalize an ultimatum for these requests is to give them a fair shot.

-Ghost

haha, please god not the Beam Rifle or Binary Rifle.

However, Having PV as an on map pickup could be damn interesting.

edit: Speaking of testing, what are your thoughts on PODs. Have you considered testing "Pro" like setting without PODs? Possible having AAs on the map like PV, TP, JP etc.

-Ghost

Good God please do not include any of these weapons with the possible exception of the shotgun or our one solid playlist will be destroyed

-Ghost

take that snipe away and snipedown is useless, give him a sniper and he's an unstoppable force thus the sniper must be OP.
  • Downvote (-1) 18

The Beam & Binary Rifles are probably the most questionable weapons in the sandbox.

The Beam is just really easy, and the Binary has the incredibly random fire when unscoped. As a weapon with a targeting beam, less total ammo, and a slower rate of fire than the Sniper Rifle it could fit reasonably on certain maps if such limitations are called for (however no such maps come to mind for 4v4).

In some situations the Incineration Cannon is less useful than the Rocket Launcher - you still get 4 shots but needing to reload between each and every shot makes it a lot less versatile than Rockets. Again I'd say this is probably a map dependent decision that could be made to better influence the pace of a game from a designer's perspective.

Overall, Ghost I think you've made good use of the sandbox so far with the exception of the Shotgun/Scattershot debate which there doesn't seem to be a universally correct answer for because you're playing a game of averages with those two weapons: Is it better to have one which is consistent out to a longer range than players have been used to for a long time now? Or better to have one which typically only hits a 1sk at extreme close range but on occasion will reach out further than the Shotgun's 1sk range and disintegrate a player?

With the current 4sk I think that a Shotgun with a run time max of 1 (to prevent any more from spawning while there is still one in play) and no reloads could fit in pretty well (as much as I'd like faster timers for most weapons I think a 120 second timer would be fine for this as it keeps such a powerful niche weapon fairly well regulated), and because of that I think it should be given another shot in testing. Otherwise I have to admit that I'm very happy with how much of the Halo 4 sandbox is used in Throwdown, and the fact that weapons like the AR & LR have even been seen to have a use in tournament level gameplay goes a long way toward keeping the game interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 2

However, Having PV as an on map pickup could be damn interesting.

Too OP with Radar off, IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2

However, in order to satisfy your yearn for answers, I'll start testing the Shotgun, Beam Rifle, Incineration Cannon, Binary Rifle, Promethean Vision, etc. This is not a joke. I feel that the only way to finalize an ultimatum for these requests is to give them a fair shot.

-Ghost

This is exactly what we should do...test everything. However, we know how OP the Beam Rifle and Binary Rifles are and how much awareness Promethean Vision removes from the game. If this is really not a joke I fully support this form of testing, because it will help it isolate and remove things that are detrimental to the gameplay from a competitive standing while giving everything a fair shake at being tested.

salute

This is exactly what we should do...test everything. However, we know how OP the Beam Rifle and Binary Rifles are and how much awareness Promethean Vision removes from the game. If this is really not a joke I fully support this form of testing, because it will help it isolate and remove things that are detrimental to the gameplay from a competitive standing while giving everything a fair shake at being tested.

salute

Well that's pretty biased then... Why shouldn't we test everything? Spartan Laser included?

-Ghost

Well that's pretty biased then... Why shouldn't we test everything? Spartan Laser included?

-Ghost

test everything. I've honestly wondered why the spartan laser was never tested in previous games, it's not easy to use on players on 4v4 sized maps.

btw. Have you ever thought of placing AA's on maps? I think it would remove a lot of the randomness with not knowing what AA your opponent has and when he earned it. I've never liked the fact that i can earn an ability from getting a few kills, assists, revenge and distraction medals. I rather fight for one that was strategically placed on a map. A map like Haven could have a thruster placed on it to help with the long hallways. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Too OP with Radar off, IMO.

have you tested it or just speculating.

PV on a 2:00 timer could be interesting on the right maps. Definitely worth pushing for like Camo or OS.

PV on a 2:00 timer could be interesting. Definitely worth pushing for like Camo or OS.

Because it completely breaks the concept of having radar off. It's essentially a wall hack. I really don't see this going down well with the community because as it stands, it's an unlimited use so long as the player stays alive.

If it was a one time use that lasted 5 seconds, then sure. I wouldn't have much problem with it, but the way it's been implemented into the game makes it too OP.

• Upvote (+1) 1

PV on a 2:00 timer could be interesting on the right maps. Definitely worth pushing for like Camo or OS.

If there is a way to make camo like it was in games prior to Halo Reach then I would kill for that instead of a Railgun/Overshield on Haven (European settings have overshield top mohawk) I also think it would work on other maps too.