CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

Does Pit really need 2 snipers in this game? We could always try moving the weapon layout around a little, which is a good way to keep things fresh.

Why not just not pick pitfall as a slayer map and pick a map like Orion or ark where the meta isn't totally exhausted?

Pitfall CTF confirmed already, "meta totally exhausted" is getting to be the oldest thing around the forums... and to be honest it isn't true.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The term "meta" shouldn't apply to Halo in any way. It bothers me so much when people say it because everyone can figure out the best way to play a map after like 5 games on it. The last and only Halo game where the term "meta-game" actually made sense was Halo 1. It's a joke to me when people try to talk about Halo 4's meta-game because any 12 year old with thumbs(and Enable :kappa:) can figure it out.

Pitfall CTF confirmed already, "meta totally exhausted" is getting to be the oldest thing around the forums... and to be honest it isn't true.

Its a map with only 4 really movement options to the other side with big ass wall in the middle.Teams will still control green. Teams will still run it green/long. Hell, the odd chance of a sneaky cap at training/sword is removed due to the flag navigation, and the lack of flag juggling has made it even more linear. Fair enough if you have that opinion, but back it up with why.

The term "meta" shouldn't apply to Halo in any way. It bothers me so much when people say it because everyone can figure out the best way to play a map after like 5 games on it. The last and only Halo game where the term "meta-game" actually made sense was Halo 1. It's a joke to me when people try to talk about Halo 4's meta-game because any 12 year old with thumbs(and Enable :kappa:) can figure it out.

The only gametypes Id say since CE are Lockout ball,and maybe Construct hill and guardian ball in 3 can be argued for the meta changing a little during its run.

Notice how all 3 of the above are asyms, which is why sym maps shouldnt dominate the gamtype list, and should only really be used for CTF.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why not just not pick pitfall as a slayer map and pick a map like Orion or ark where the meta isn't totally exhausted?

Orion aint got no chance of getting into v5, a damn shame too, offers something different from the other maps and actually has vertical based gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The "meta" is exhausted. The map can only be played a few ways and they have all been abused over the years. We have seen everything a team/player can do on The Pit. This isn't CE where the gameplay is much more dynamic and evolves as a match goes on. However, I rather see it used for CTF instead of Adrift or Dispatch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The "meta" is exhausted. The map can only be played a few ways and they have all been abused over the years. We have seen everything a team/player can do on The Pit. This isn't CE where the gameplay is much more dynamic and evolves as a match goes on. However, I rather see it used for CTF instead of Adrift or Dispatch.

metagaming.png

Adrift 3 No At-Home

Thank you. 5 flags on that map was annoying me.

Im late asking this but why does it matter to have disc maps in the rotation?

didnt reach have like 2 disc maps and the rest forge so why does it matter now? When halo is at its all time low?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im late asking this but why does it matter to have disc maps in the rotation?

didnt reach have like 2 disc maps and the rest forge so why does it matter now? When halo is at its all time low?

I think it's for the split screen play at tournaments. Forge maps have bad frame rate lag on forge maps and some disc maps that aren't used (Landfall comes to mind).

Also, Ghost might want to use as many disc maps as possible that are viable for 343 plus they're more aesthetically pleasing than forge maps.

We've been playing it for 5 years, the same scenarios happen. Like Doju said the same strategies will be used and we'll see the same linear gameplay.

Orion aint got no chance of getting into v5, a damn shame too, offers something different from the other maps and actually has vertical based gameplay.

I thought it was being considered for v5? Did pistola's stream hurt it's rep that bad?

I thought it was being considered for v5? Did pistola's stream hurt it's rep that bad?

I dont think it hurt the rep of the map, but more a confirmation that its probably not going to be used. Certainly didnt help anyways (though apparently the chat loved the map as does most of the community), either way doesnt seem like progress with Orion has been made since, and the author of Orion hasnt been contacted about the map.

The thing I don't like about pit being used is the fact that everyone has to buy a map pack for a 1 map remake that has been used in the past 2 halo games. Not to mention CTF is even worse in this game and snipers are more powerful than ever. I remember how many problems there were for UMG just getting forge island done, majestic couldnt even be done. It limits the variety in the playlist because no one ever has DLC in TTD and makes it inconvenient for AGL because of a map that was only good for classic CTF, something we dont have. Glad dispatch is finally getting the boot, its been being said since v3. 

No green box jump :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

metagaming.png

it's either that or checkers. I know which one I want in halo.

Anyway, can we test OS bottom mid on Haven? Sniper, Rail and OS would be really good on the map. It would add more flow to the bottom areas and would provide teams a way to break set ups and eliminate stale mates.

The thing I don't like about pit being used is the fact that everyone has to buy a map pack for a 1 map remake that has been used in the past 2 halo games. Not to mention CTF is even worse in this game and snipers are more powerful than ever. I remember how many problems there were for UMG just getting forge island done, majestic couldnt even be done. It limits the variety in the playlist because no one ever has DLC in TTD and makes it inconvenient for AGL because of a map that was only good for classic CTF, something we dont have. Glad dispatch is finally getting the boot, its been being said since v3.

No green box jump :(

I saw someone dothe green box jump in one of the videos with flag. Also I hope they force people to buy skyline to. Its not our fault the game didn't come with good default maps. People are too lazy to buy them and were stuck playing the same 9 gametypes every day.if they don't we'll be stuck playing the same 7 with the addition of the pit. ive even heard stories about people competing at tournaments and playing skyline for the first time.That's rediculous.

ghost should get bravo to make the playlist require dlc. It ruined the potential of v7 in Reach because dammy and beaver creek RARELY came up and it will do the same in halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Has Ghost given Orion a chance at all?

I haven't really been keeping up with everything he's been testing. I've played Orion hill and Slayer and I really enjoyed it, but it was only No Sprint gametypes. How does it play with sprint?

Sorry to be that guy who doesn't have Skyline, but yeah that's me. I never played it. I've seen it plenty of times and it looks good, but never felt the need to purchase it. Is it a stand alone map? Or part of a pack?

Surely you guys can't blame me for not wanting to give 343 and more of my money.

Sorry to be that guy who doesn't have Skyline, but yeah that's me. I never played it. I've seen it plenty of times and it looks good, but never felt the need to purchase it. Is it a stand alone map? Or part of a pack?

Surely you guys can't blame me for not wanting to give 343 and more of my money.

Part of a pack with Monolith and Landfall. Skyline is OK, better than most of the stuff we have now. Landfall is also good (that is, if you play the Unity variant with one of the buildings cut off and no framerate). I'd say it's worth it. Especially since buying it shows that you want Halo map design to move in that direction.

Part of a pack with Monolith and Landfall. Skyline is OK, better than most of the stuff we have now. Landfall is also good (that is, if you play the Unity variant with one of the buildings cut off and no framerate). I'd say it's worth it. Especially since buying it shows that you want Halo map design to move in that direction.

I'll most likely get it, especially with the rather good turn this game is taking lately. Thanks to the community that is.

However, I have to strongly, strongly disagree with your last sentence. I wish I didn't. I wish I could agree.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am all for the Required DLC for Throwdown I mean if the competitive community wants to play the competitive maps go buy them. The rest of the maps blow you don't need to get them.

Opinion: Skyline sucks with Sprint. So much clutter to escape and break lines of sight with. Oh and I think it would be better with the lifts blocked off, they devalue top mid a lot be making bottom mid a direct transition point.

I'll most likely get it, especially with the rather good turn this game is taking lately. Thanks to the community that is.

However, I have to strongly, strongly disagree with your last sentence. I wish I didn't. I wish I could agree.

I'm not going to say the maps are amazing at all. IMO they're better than the on-disc ones and that's why I think they're worth buying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not going to say the maps are amazing at all. IMO they're better than the on-disc ones and that's why I think they're worth buying.

Skyline looks like it's a lot better. I'll give you that. Seeing it played at AGL actually peaked my interest in picking the game back up. So far there's only been a few times when thats happened. Early NS settings (bad) Turbo settings, Skyline addition, New NS settings (amazing)

It was only the sentence where the dev's will learn what type of maps to create of focus on that I disagree with. I can't think of a time where that type of feedback actually effected their thought process.