CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

Ghost can ask 343i to remove sprint. 343 already said they will if he ask.

What I am getting at is you cant just turn off sprint and everything is peachy. We would need control just as seen in the modded gametype with specific speed and gravity values outside of the ingame user control. The amount of things that would need to be done in order for it to be viable and testable is vast therefore the odds are against those who want it in a timely manner. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

i find it very appalling at the lack of interest in community maps and lack of interaction with the forge community which are willing to go out of there way to provide you guys with maps free of charge...... anyway, here's some maps that are worth considering.

You and others are a godsend for this community. I wish there were more people who appreciated maps for their design and gameplay rather than pure familiarity. I understand Ghost and co wanting to add maps that new viewers know and whatnot; but give up, the maps aren't all that good.

Orion in Halo Reach was more Gemini inspired if I recall correctly, and frankly lacked depth on the sides on the map. H4 Orion took a pure construct approach, and is damn solid if you ask me.

There are two other maps by The Fated Fire that are worth playing on as well: Ender (final rendition of Black Site) and Stronghold (a Sanctuary successor that better emphasizes 2-tiering). And I'm sure there are other maps out there that are deserving.

Shoutouts to Fated, Schnitzel, Haunted Army, Tymelapse, a Chunk and many others who forge and test 4v4 maps ruthlessly

• Upvote (+1) 1

What I am getting at is you cant just turn off sprint and everything is peachy. We would need control just as seen in the modded gametype with specific speed and gravity values outside of the ingame user control. The amount of things that would need to be done in order for it to be viable and testable is vast therefore the odds are against those who want it in a timely manner. 

Things that would need to be changed if sprint was removed:

1. 125% movement speed

2. 95% gravity

3. Remove Adrift and Station 9

3 =/= vast

• Upvote (+1) 4

Honestly the only thing I'm worried about is removing Adrift CTF and Dispatch CTF.. Also I think no sprint should be implemented..

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Has anyone played confined ctf?

yes, it's not fun or competitive at all, because salot has gone and removed the alternate route that was provided by the lifts the map becomes a very linear map, you have no options to really move at all other then hold forwards, every path leads to the same place, the lines of sight are the same and the central set up over looks nearly every single spawn point to the point that you can't move off spawn without getting a few shots on you at least.

select is a 1000X better for a narrows type map.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Things that would need to be changed if sprint was removed:

1. 125% movement speed

2. 95% gravity

3. Remove Adrift and Station 9

3 =/= vast

That kind of testing would have to be done in house, not by the community. They would have to add in the ability for ghost to tweek them, 343 wont be interested in making the changes for him especially if they make the changes send them off and ghost asks them to be altered further. I feel like too many of you think these types of things are as easy as typing out what you want and presto its done. What Hackers do and what the company will do are two totally different things. I'm done trying to reason about this, I have officially thwarted my original request of not talking about this.  

That kind of testing would have to be done in house, not by the community. They would have to add in the ability for ghost to tweek them, 343 wont be interested in making the changes for him especially if they make the changes send them off and ghost asks them to be altered further. I feel like too many of you think these types of things are as easy and typing out what you want and presto its done. What Hackers do and what the company will do are two totally different things.

that's funny because the community has already been testing those settings....

all they have to do is adjust some player settings, do minor in-house testing to make sure it meats quality control then hand it to ghost. it really isn't that much effort for them to do.

What Hackers do and what the company will do are two totally different things.

Agreed. It's just that the company can do it more easily than hackers can. They created the stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here is my 11

Slayer

• Abandon
  • Onyx
  • Haven
  • Skyline
  • Pitfall

CTF

• Pitfall
  • Onyx (adjust spawns)
  • Adrift (fix spawns)
  • Skyline (fix spawns)

Extraction

• Station 9
  • Haven (add OS)

I think we stay basic for v5 and for v6 gives us more time to test out new maps

OKAY so i was testing v5 Haven! and i have a couple suggestions for you ghost if you ever get to scroll through here!

Concussion Rifle: I dont really consider it a power weapon on haven, reason being is because it has very little damage effect and it's so open and you'd actually have to aim long range to have any real strategic shots with that weapon.

Haven: replace the concussion rifle with an OS. reason behind this suggestion is because it could make haven extraction so much better to play on when trying to get those extractions back! and i hate to have to see teams give up on extractions so early because bottom closed is so hard to turn over!

Adrift: i REALLY like the new spawns. nuff said.

Skyline: i'll have to get back to you on that still testing spawns. Concussin Rifle is Plausible

• Upvote (+1) 1

ghost, if you're going to test the concussion rifle do it on a fast timer otherwise it will just appear useless because of how difficult it is and how quick its used or wasted making it as if its almost never there.

I have yet to test the V5 maps with the concussion rifle, but to be honest I personally don't like the concussion rifle in standard play.

Using the Concussion Rifle efficiently just takes pacing and good aim, it is a pretty skillful weapon, but I would of preferred it be given some more of the Brute Shot's traits. Right now I feel like you do not damage anyone with the Concussion Rifle unless you actually score a direct hit, and even though the weapon is a 3sk it can be difficult to score those 3 crucial hits against someone who has say a Battle Rifle. It is however one of the most skillful weapons we have ever seen, and really takes patience and has a learning curve to it, other weapons should act accordingly.

It makes me miss the Brute Shot at times though, especially when the Concussion Rifle was meant to be similar in essence and function, as well as damage, but it does not have the neat ricocheting rounds, or the nice damage radius of the Brute Shot. It is also much weaker than the Halo Reach Concussion Rifle, sad panda, but I understand why some of its traits were weakened overall.

I have yet to test the V5 maps with the concussion rifle, but to be honest I personally don't like the concussion rifle in standard play.

it's a weapon that takes a lot of skill to use...it's perfect for "competitive" halo. We need more skillfull items in the sandbox. This is one of the more important changes to v5...weapons/powerups and where they are placed.

• Upvote (+1) 6

OKAY so i was testing v5 Haven! and i have a couple suggestions for you ghost if you ever get to scroll through here!

Concussion Rifle: I dont really consider it a power weapon, reason being is because it has very little damage effect especially on haven where you have to jump everywhere. if anything it could be laying on the ground bottom middle on dispatch to have any actually power weapon effect!

Haven: replace the concussion rifle with an OS. reason behind this suggestion is because it could make haven extraction so much better to play on when trying to get those extractions back! and i hate have to see teams give up on extractions so early because bottom closed is so hard to turn over!

Adrift: i REALLY like the new spawns. nuff said.

Skyline: i'll have to get back to you on that still testing spawns.

overall so far concussion rifle is a no go for me!

Can you explain the changes to us since you got an invite to the test gametypes?

The forge community definitely deserve more love. There is no reason to have Adrift and Station 9 when the community can make better maps

Agreed but its hard cause disc maps though less good at times have many more perks then forge maps as I'm sure you know. Now for Adrift CTF, I honestly think its probably one of the hardest gametypes in the line up right now. Your communication and spawn cycle needs to be flawless which is why I believe a lot of people get pissed off about it. Honest to god, with shitty communication this gametype sucks. Now that being said, I believe this gametype really has a skill gap to it with people like RyaNoob dominating on it which is why it should stay.

• Abandon TS
  • Adrift CTF
  • Haven TS
  • Haven Extraction
  • Pitfall CTF
  • Skyline CTF
  • Skyline TS
  • Simplex CTF
  • Onyx TS
  • Station 9 Extraction (If Vertigo isn't good) Orion King of the Hill
  • Pitfall TS (If Vertigo isn't good) Unity Landfall TS

I can't decide on the last TS or Extraction game type really...

This list is perfect with the addition of Orion KotH and Unity Landfall TS. I prefer the Onyx TS/Simplex CTF combination.

Honestly to anyone on this thread I highly recommend checking out Unity Landfall for TS, it's very nice.The weapon layout could be tweaked a bit but that is about it. Am I the only one who doesn't care if some maps are only used once? Because my list uses 9 maps for 11 gametypes... 6/9 are disc maps though!

For record, I think the whole community would benefit if Ghost would address the sprint vs no sprint issue without skating the question (politically speaking).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you explain the changes to us since you got an invite to the test gametypes?

The three maps Ghost has made are in his fileshare.

it's a weapon that takes a lot of skill to use...it's perfect for "competitive" halo. We need more skillfull items in the sandbox. This is one of the more important changes to v5...weapons/powerups and where they are placed.

It's too clunky and weak in my eyes... I feel like this could become the next two-plot.

It's too clunky and weak in my eyes... I feel like this could become the next two-plot.

I think its a good idea to move away from weapons like the railgun that are essentially free kills to something that takes more skill to master (like the concussion rifle). I'll have to test it myself to see how it works, but I just don't see people timing concussion rifles. I mean its one shot less to kill than a BR and much more difficult to land said shots especially from an intermediate distance. I would rather see an Overshield on Haven personally to aid in Extraction and have something truly worth going for

I think its a good idea to move away from weapons like the railgun that are essentially free kills to something that takes more skill to master (like the concussion rifle). I'll have to test it myself to see how it works, but I just don't see people timing concussion rifles. I mean its one shot less to kill than a BR and much more difficult to land said shots especially from an intermediate distance. I would rather see an Overshield on Haven personally to aid in Extraction and have something truly worth going for

The conc has an advantage in that it inhibits your movement when you're being hit. You also see the bullet coming straight into your face when it's a direct hit, and you can also use the conc for nade jumps. Plus it has a faster rof than the BR.

Over longer ranges it's mostly useful for keeping players who you can't get a nade on fast enough one shot. This is a pretty niche use compared to the above uses in close range, though.

Also, you can do concussion jumps. Some of those jumps that required a thruster pack might be possible with just a concussion. The conc also has an advantage over grenade jumping in that it only knocks out about half of your shields instead of the whole bar. If you jump and use the conc underneath you at the apex, it will deal very little damage to you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The conc has an advantage in that it inhibits your movement when you're being hit. You also see the bullet coming straight into your face when it's a direct hit, and you can also use the conc for nade jumps. Plus it has a faster rof than the BR.

Over longer ranges it's mostly useful for keeping players who you can't get a nade on fast enough one shot. This is a pretty niche use compared to the above, though.

You also just reminded me that concussion rifles can effectively DESTROY map design do to their propulsion. Like I said, the jury is still out until I give it a shot, but right now I just don't think that the concussion rifle will work well in competitive play. I may end up shoving my foot in my mouth on this one, but we shall see

You also just reminded me that concussion rifles can effectively DESTROY map design do to their propulsion. Like I said, the jury is still out until I give it a shot, but right now I just don't think that the concussion rifle will work well in competitive play. I may end up shoving my foot in my mouth on this one, but we shall see

Grenade jumping and Derelict.

It's just grenade jumping, but more effective. If anything it's just a shiny new piece of metagame.

Personally I think that trying to look at the Concussion Rifle as a power weapon is the wrong way to go about it. To me it falls more in the twilight zone of "situationally useful weapon" such as the Plasma Pistol, Needler, Shotgun etc.

In Extraction gametypes its most obvious use is to use its physics impulses to knock a player arming or converting a beacon away from said beacon. It can also be used for jumps, can juggle players somewhat, and in a direct engagement can kill faster than the BR if the user hits every shot.

Because of this I personally wouldn't spawn it as Ordnance and I'd only give it 1 spare clip at a 90 second respawn timer. One way to highlight spawn area for interesting weapons without using Ordnance that I've recently seen is to use the Extraction Cylinder object; change it to a high visibility colour then meld it into the ground until just a small bump with the colour is visible, then place the weapon on top of this little platform. It's a very minimal geometry change but can help players learn the maps a little better.

• Upvote (+1) 3