CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

I only saw a couple posts suggesting that Vertigo should be in v5.

You answered your question. 

People suggested it be tested, among other asym's (mainly Orion and The Ark), but it ended up playing well, and it was a disc map too, so it was included.

Well of course people will suggest that a map should be tested.

I didn't mean that.

It would be ignorant to simply dismiss a map without proper testing.

vertigo isn't a disc map, and why should a disc or dev map be given priority over a forge map when forge maps can be balanced when problems are found while dev maps force you to be stuck with them?

The term disc map is often used in place of "dev map"

why should a disc or dev map be given priority over a forge map

Because dev maps offer 3 things: No FPS lag for splitscreen, support from the developer, recognition for the developers work.

Yes, there are better forge maps... hell, I even preferred Skyline Slayer over Vertigo Slayer, but I still understand that we A) Needed an asym map, and B) needed more variety in the map pool.

Because dev maps offer 3 things: No FPS lag for splitscreen, support from the developer, recognition for the developers work.

How has including Vertigo in v5 as opposed to a Forge map garnered support from 343? Are we suddenly going to get competitive weapons designed for customs, no sprint gametypes, or proper flag gametypes? Why should we give them recognition for their work when kids sitting at home can consistently create better maps in Forge mode and random people modding the game can create simple, much-needed patches that 343 refuses to provide?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I hope we get a map like Midship one day that can play every gametype...

Simplex  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Onyx   :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sadly no one has captured the magic of Midship yet, but it would be nice to see maps that are truly capable of supporting all or most gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well actually I'm working on a map that can support Slayer, Extr, Flag and Ricochet.

Sadly no one has captured the magic of Midship yet, but it would be nice to see maps that are truly capable of supporting all or most gametypes.

I'm sure we have already, since Station 9 set the bar so low.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We won't get a map like Midship til we have NS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you care about v5 settings (and everyone reading this thread cares to some extent), then you probably care about sprint because it ruins the game to a large degree. No sprint H4 with DMR starts is to our current settings as Reach's NBNS v7 settings are to default Reach. I also find it hard to believe 343 wouldn't create an official gametype with sprint (maybe even with descope) considering how badly the general Halo community is doing. It'd take 5 seconds to whip up some gametypes and watch the Throwdown playlist population triple.

Hopefully the EU community adopting NS will lead to NS in a future version of Throwdown if there is one.  v5 settings seem at least partly aimed at growing the competitive community vs bringing back veteran players.  There's no point in attracting new players - that time is long past.  It'd be more sensible to try to bring back veterans by giving them NS.

Well, I've had my disagreement with some of the decisions made throughout the development of settings for Halo 4, but it absolutely astounds me that this community is happy to throw away all of the work that Ghost and everyone else who has worked on settings have done in the past year. Think about how much more open the process of updating the playlist has been compared to in H3 or Reach.

If ever we needed to emulate the CoD community by sticking it out with a bad game (MW3 - it didn't even have LAN support on release. Imagine a Halo game without LAN support.) and making sure that the developer understands what kind of features the next one needs. By jumping back to an older game for now we're not helping ourselves in the long term. If you want to maintain relevance as a community in order to open more of a dialogue with the developer you have to have a presence on the current game. 

We know that 343 has showed more interest in tournaments and various sub-communities than Bungie ever did. Don't spit in their face now that we're slowly making progress just because we hit one more bump in the road.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sad that v5 won't even get the limelight it deserves because of this #Halo3HypeTrain.

Feel bad for Ghost, it's been a nice run.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 knows what we want from Halo at this point. We've spent a year telling them. 

By jumping back to Halo 3 we're sending a stronger message to the developers than any forum posts could- that we simply will not play their game if they don't make Halo what we want it to be. Jumping back to Halo 3 also doesn't mean we're cutting ties with 343- it just means we don't like their game.

Ghost put in countless sometimes thankless hours into this game, and because of it we got about a year of competition out of Halo 4. That is honestly an outstanding achievement considering how awful the game is. Unfortunately, its pretty clear that everything we can do to make the game more competitive has been done. NS isn't coming. Descope, flag juggling, no glitched KOTH, etc isn't coming. I think the entire community has more or less agreed that its time to jump ship and play a Halo game we'll enjoy. It's not a reflection of dissatisfaction with v5, its a combination of dealing with over a year of a terrible game, no more big tournaments happening, and Halo 3 becoming free being a real option to push an old Halo game ahead of H4 in population.

If that doesn't send a message to 343 and Microsoft that the new direction of Halo is a failure than nothing will. And sending that message and hopefully securing the future direction of the next Halo games is FAR more important than continuing to attempt to support a game that's on its last breaths.

THIS THIS THIS. If people haven't been watching pros stream H3, they need to. They genuinely look happy playing the game. If you watched them play H4, they always sound pissed, upset, frustrated, and I know that's exactly how I feel playing H4, even in TTD.  Every game I've played the past 2 days in H3 MLG has been close (Had a 49-49 TS on the Pit even), and the main point is that it was fun, and felt amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It was doomed once he put ricochet in...

I know this may sound crazy, but Ricochet can be a very fun and intense gametype to play

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

343 knows what we want from Halo at this point. We've spent a year telling them. 

By jumping back to Halo 3 we're sending a stronger message to the developers than any forum posts could- that we simply will not play their game if they don't make Halo what we want it to be. Jumping back to Halo 3 also doesn't mean we're cutting ties with 343- it just means we don't like their game.

Ghost put in countless sometimes thankless hours into this game, and because of it we got about a year of competition out of Halo 4. That is honestly an outstanding achievement considering how awful the game is. Unfortunately, its pretty clear that everything we can do to make the game more competitive has been done. NS isn't coming. Descope, flag juggling, no glitched KOTH, etc isn't coming. I think the entire community has more or less agreed that its time to jump ship and play a Halo game we'll enjoy. It's not a reflection of dissatisfaction with v5, its a combination of dealing with over a year of a terrible game, no more big tournaments happening, and Halo 3 becoming free being a real option to push an old Halo game ahead of H4 in population.

If that doesn't send a message to 343 and Microsoft that the new direction of Halo is a failure than nothing will. And sending that message and hopefully securing the future direction of the next Halo games is FAR more important than continuing to attempt to support a game that's on its last breaths.

Best posts I've read in sometime.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not kidding but my x box gave me a huge smile last night when I popped out the halo 4 disk and inserted the Halo ODST disk and then  played one halo 3  mm game.  :P

Specially when it is the first time I turn on my x box in a long time.

• Upvote (+1) 1