CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

I would like to point out that Pitfall CTF =/= The Pit CTF

Sprint and H4's version of CTF means that it plays completely differently. Scale and hit registration also change how Pit plays, in H3 it played a lot larger due to no sprint/bad netcode/descope, in H4 it plays a lot smaller due to sprint/good netcode/flinch. Also I am pretty sure the map is smaller in relation to spartans and base movement speed, than it was in H3.

Quite simply Team Slayer is less negatively effected by sprint and other Halo 4 mechanics, than CTF is. Hence TS > CTF

Also there is nothing actually wrong with Pit TS. Saying it is slow isn't a real argument because A] what is wrong with a slow pace slayer? (Go, give some real reasons here as to why a slower pace is bad for competitive play, instead of continually repeating that slow = bad in hopes that it becomes true without reason). And B] That argument can be made for any TS map. Even Onyx can slow down if both teams decide to hold bases, just like Pit TS can slow down if teams decide to not push. (might I point out that sprint will actually work to alleviate stalemates as sneaky beaver flanks are much more viable)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sprint has been in 11

Pit slayer is not good, it is much worse with halo 4s mechanics

v

v

v

I would like to point out that Pitfall CTF =/= The Pit CTF

Sprint and H4's version of CTF means that it plays completely differently. Scale and hit registration also change how Pit plays, in H3 it played a lot larger due to no sprint/bad netcode/descope, in H4 it plays a lot smaller due to sprint/good netcode/flinch. Also I am pretty sure the map is smaller in relation to spartans and base movement speed, than it was in H3.

Quite simply Team Slayer is less negatively effected by sprint and other Halo 4 mechanics, than CTF is. Hence TS > CTF

Also there is nothing actually wrong with Pit TS. Saying it is slow isn't a real argument because A] what is wrong with a slow pace slayer? (Go, give some real reasons here as to why a slower pace is bad for competitive play, instead of continually repeating that slow = bad in hopes that it becomes true without reason). And B] That argument can be made for any TS map. Even Onyx can slow down if both teams decide to hold bases, just like Pit TS can slow down if teams decide to not push. (might I point out that sprint will actually work to alleviate stalemates as sneaky beaver flanks are much more viable)

who wanted Vertigo?

Majority of the forum goers asking for an asym map in the rotation.

Why not use one of the Forge maps specifically made for Ricochet that Tashi and Certain Affinity have been testing?

The maps aren't ready yet, nor were they designed with the "Competitive Halo" communities needs in mind.

Simplex is already in the Ricochet matchmaking playlist, and is one of the most popular maps.

spam :kappa:

Since K2 didn't quote him, i decided to to get the message passed on :)

A slow slayer is bad because it is easier to play. You each player only has to pay attention to one hallway (on thhe put).

Only way a kill happens is if one of the players from either team makes a mistake. or OS/rockets spawn. 2 long ass minutes. We saw this in halo 3 and reach.

It is easy to play a slow slayer. Theres a reason why halo 1 is the hardest halo. There's a lot shit you got to be on top of.

You tested these settings with me, and you ended up only saying one thing - "I spawned four times in the same place." I tended to that matter accordingly. You have yet to post any other feedback about that testing session.

Everyone's input matters. I read every post and every tweet.

-Ghost

If I end up in a testing lobby again I'll be more vocal next time.

Also I had one small issue when we played Pitfall ricochet I believe, I spawned right behind an enemy on our needler. (I can clip it from the film if you want.)

As for the other games we played I didn't have any issue with. It was also the first time I played ricochet customs so it was more of a learning experience.

And sorry if my post came off a bit harsh, I'm kind of frustrated with the state that Halo is in at the moment.

If I end up in a testing lobby again I'll be more vocal next time.

Also I had one small issue when we played Pitfall ricochet I believe, I spawned right behind an enemy on our needler. (I can clip it from the film if you want.)

As for the other games we played I didn't have any issue with. It was also the first time I played ricochet customs so it was more of a learning experience.

And sorry if my post came off a bit harsh, I'm kind of frustrated with the state of Halo at the moment.

That's the sort of feedback Ghost expects PRE-launch of an update.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's the sort of feedback Ghost expects PRE-launch of an update.

I only played the most recent v5 test settings two or three days ago.

Ricochet on Simplex is really fun I actually played a nail biter on it.

v5 haven has some serious spawn issues.

asking for an asym =/= asking for vertigo

Who specifically asked for the DLC map Vertigo? I thought the map had promise till i actually played it, then i moved on. I haven't seen any threads on here in favor of it nor have I seen any posts in this thread in favor of it. When guys asked for an asymm I saw The Ark and Orion being thrown around or a few posts saying another forged map, never Vertigo.

Who asked for Vertigo? 

It's stuff like this that turn ppl away from these settings and make them give up on the game.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Orion slayer or extraction would have been a good choice in my opinion since KotH is out of the question.

I didn't notice much changes in the other maps can you guys give me the lowdown?

here's how I see it. Majority of people are going to be done after indy, ricochet or not. People complain about the game not being fun, but when people say ricochet is "fun" but not competitive, they most likely have not played it in a competitive setting or have it stuck in there head that it sucks because that's what everyone says. in reality these settings weren't gonna change much, and I understand why he added ricochet. Unless theirs another waypoint tourney, indy is the last hoo rahh.

Cliffs:

ricochet is considered fun

halo4 is not considered fun

ricochet gets added

ricochet now sucks

no one is pleased

riot.

I didn't notice much changes in the other maps can you guys give me the lowdown?

Mostly changes to the spawn system or weapon layout.

I am 103% sure that they wanted a good asym in rotation. 

With the EMP blocked, Vertigo is decent at best. With EMP usable, Vertigo is pretty terrible. 

Salot doesn't make Asyms very often, so the chances of ever seeing an asym forged map in competitive settings is very slim. 

I guarantee that if The Ark was made by Salot, that it would have gotten in. There would be enough community members and Pros saying it was great that it would have sealed itself in the communities mind. This is because people like a map automatically if Salot's name is on it. 

I tested something back in Halo Reach. I took a pre-released version of Retro-active (By col Keller) and showed people the map who had never seen it. I would tell some people it was made by Keller and I would tell others that it was made by Salot. I then listened to their feedback and had them give it a score from 1-10. (I told them the truth after they rated it). 

I believe I had about 15 people (8 salot and 7 keller). 

The average rating for the people who thought it was Salot's map was 9.125. Most of the people said it was one of the better maps they had seen. One dude said it was his favorite forge map ever. They remarked at how pretty it looked for a forge map.

The average rating for people who I told the truth to was about 3.6 if I remember right. They said it was a crappy map mostly (I think one guy gave it a 7 and said he liked it, but he was one of the only ones). They said it had no structure and that it was really ugly to look at. 

Now granted that it is only 15 people, so through coincidence, it is completely possible that the Salot group people were also simply less critical people, but the difference between 9.125 and ~3.6 is a huge difference that has to mean something.

Moral of the story. Vertigo got in because Salot doesn't make Asyms. Nothing against Salot. I like the guy. He is really chill and he is a genuinely nice person. He is one of my friends, but he get's automatic consideration for no determinable reason other than the fact that he made Onslaught and he is well known. Meanwhile, other forgers have to break their back to even get noticed and when they do, people trash them because they aren't Salot. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

A slow slayer is bad because it is easier to play. You each player only has to pay attention to one hallway (on thhe put).

Only way a kill happens is if one of the players from either team makes a mistake. or OS/rockets spawn. 2 long ass minutes. We saw this in halo 3 and reach.

It is easy to play a slow slayer. Theres a reason why halo 1 is the hardest halo. There's a lot shit you got to be on top of.

If anything, Halo:CE had the longest Team Slayer game times of any Halo title. There weren't even any set time limits.

-Ghost

If anything, Halo:CE had the longest Team Slayer game times of any Halo title. There weren't even any set time limits.

-Ghost

CE 2s went to 50

-Ghost

Long gametime =/= slow slayer. Slow slayer is what you saw on lockout/guardian/penance where the game can go to the time limit with only 20~ points scored per team at times. At least in the definition he was talking about.

There were no time limits in CE but they weren't needed really either. There really weren't standoffs except the very occasional one on HeH (maybe rat race?), and those were quickly stopped because of the combination of nading weapons and fast powerup spawns. 

2v2 on HeH went to 50 and most games lasted under 20 minutes. Try playing 2v2 on a map the size of HeH in Halo 4 to 50 and see how long that takes. I think Solace might be almost as big as HeH. 

1v1s go to 25 usually. 

Another factor that you have to remember is that there weren't a whole lot of people competing, so longer games weren't a big problem that was going to back up the venue like it would be with a couple hundred teams that we saw in Halo 3's days. 

Long gametime =/= slow slayer. Slow slayer is what you saw on lockout/guardian/penance where the game can go to the time limit with only 20~ points scored per team at times. At least in the definition he was talking about.

There were no time limits in CE but they weren't needed really either. There really weren't standoffs except the very occasional one on HeH (maybe rat race?), and those were quickly stopped because of the combination of nading weapons and fast powerup spawns. 

2v2 on HeH went to 50 and most games lasted under 20 minutes. Try playing 2v2 on a map the size of HeH in Halo 4 to 50 and see how long that takes. I think Solace might be almost as big as HeH. 

1v1s go to 25 usually. 

Another factor that you have to remember is that there weren't a whole lot of people competing, so longer games weren't a big problem that was going to back up the venue like it would be with a couple hundred teams that we saw in Halo 3's days. 

Damnation? Derelict? Battle Creek? Chill Out even.

I witnessed countless games last easily more than 20 minutes, especially when money was on the line. Also, Halo:CE 1v1s went to 15 Kills.

-Ghost

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like I'm the only person that actually wanted Ricochet in v5. So by that, I'm glad it's in and that Dispatch is finally out of gametypes. Definitely will check out them when I get the chance. 

• Upvote (+1) 1