CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

Do you have a link or source for this?  I wanna say that 343 never claimed that the on-disc maps were designed with competitive gaming in mind.

I believe that the quote has been taken out of context; the way I understood it at the time (and currently) was that it was a way of clarifying that all of the multiplayer maps were built with competitive multiplayer - as in PvP, not necessarily playing to win at all costs - as a lot of people were under the (incorrect) impression that a lot of the maps Bungie made for Halo: Reach were designed as both campaign and multiplayer spaces despite Bungie's clarification that the maps were designed for multiplayer first and then placed in the campaign.

Basically, I think the issue is that competitive players and most developers have differing definitions of the word. One group assumes it means "tournament worthy" and another simply intends it to be the opposite of cooperative multiplayer. Then the actual meaning gets lost in translation.

I could be wrong, but that's been my take on it for the past year.

EDIT: Well, guess I was right. Thanks for the clarification, Quinn.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is this Quinn Del Hoyo?

No hes beyond staff, i think quinn is Effin Quinn

Edit: guess i was wrong, other way around maybe?

I was under the impression from one of their ViDocs that Bungie had made the multiplayer maps first and then implemented them into single player to create more continuation between campaign and multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was under the impression from one of their ViDocs that Bungie had made the multiplayer maps first and then implemented them into single player to create more continuation between campaign and multiplayer.

Yeah, I think this is what actually happened. But to people who don't watch the ViDocs but notice the maps in both it's practically giving them free ammunition to complain about the maps with.

So the reason I believe they talked about the on-disc maps the way they did was b/c if you remember, Reach launched with SP levels as re-purposed MP maps and a slew of gray Forge maps.  The H4 on-disc maps were purposefully built for competitive MP much like previous Halos were.  I think they were using that as a positive message to the core fans.  "This time around we're going to have maps designed from the ground up for MP and not taken from SP." 

Ah, makes more sense.

It just sucks that H4 maps are still worse than even Reach's.

Well done 343.

Yeah, I think this is what actually happened. But to people who don't watch the ViDocs but notice the maps in both it's practically giving them free ammunition to complain about the maps with.

I'm pretty sure that's how it went because it would be unlike Bungie not to make multiplayer maps as multiplayer maps regardless as to how good they are. It makes me wonder though about this:

Reach launched with SP levels as re-purposed MP maps and a slew of gray Forge maps.

Is there a reason Team Changing is Allowed in v5 Slayer, and Betrayal Booting is Enabled in v5 Ricochet?

[edit] Also, Carrier Marker in v5 Ricochet should be set to Locked-On since the blip marker can be left behind on a laggy connection, and when the Carrier goes up a lift on any connection, so it appears like the carrier is standing still for a few seconds.

I see, so our definitions of competitive are different, I think we all knew that  but still I guess that clarification  "clarifies" mostly everything, I guess next time they should use a more appropriate wording.

Also,

#DelYolo

LoL

I thought everyone knew what halo devs meant when they say stuff like "we built these *insert maps/weapons/mechanics* with competitive play in mind" that it was about pvp and not tournaments....guess not

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought everyone knew what halo devs meant when they say stuff like "we built these *insert maps/weapons/mechanics* with competitive play in mind" that it was about pvp and not tournaments....guess not

Never underestimate the ignorance of people. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Better" in relation to Onyx, yeah. But not by much.

Ok then you're just spouting @&[email protected] But like you said before, "you haven't been apart of the seen for awhile". Seriously though, the power positions on simplex rely on team mates positioning, where as one man on Onyx in top Gold can do serious work. Simplex is like the easier version of onyx. Onyx punishes bad pushes and rewards cohesive teams.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Did we learn nothing from Halo 3?

It's been in over 10 versions of competitive Halo for a reason.

It's been in over 10 versions of competitive Halo for a reason.

Bloom has been in 11 versions of competitive Halo, too.

• Upvote (+1) 2