CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

I don't remember people thinking extraction was a bad idea. 

do you think ricochet is a bad idea?

cant remember your thoughts on it from last weeks round table talk

Grifball is designed first and foremost to be a competitive game type. Why don't we test that as well? =

No it wasn't. It was just one of many fun custom game modes the Halo community came up with in Halo 3. It was far from being designed as a competitive gametype.

• Upvote (+1) 5

do you think ricochet is a bad idea?

cant remember your thoughts on it from last weeks round table talk

Yeah he does think it is a bad idea, and after watching Classic scrim Cryptic, I agree.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah he does think it is a bad idea, and after watching Classic scrim Cryptic, I agree.

Was it bad?

Was it bad?

Yup. The one thing I thought Ricochet might have had going for it was it could be fun to watch...it wasn't. Cryptic's strategy at the beginning of the match was to all 4 rush the ball and then suicide throw it in. Then it became a game of someone trying to sneak into the others base and throw the ball to them. Then it turned into everyone rushing the ball, and the ball carrier throwing it backwards trying to play keep-away. Hopefully it get's better.

Well of course. I'm not saying it's not a valuable position at all. But it isn't as powerful a position it should be in an arena map. I'm speaking in generalization of the maps we have in regards to past maps in saying that power positions aren't powerful by comparison.

But didn't you just say you thought Simplex had better power positions? On my phone so I could be mistaken. IMO Simplex Slayer is awful, lost a best of 5 on LAN because of that piece of shit map so I'm biased. Good for flag though :)

Yup. The one thing I thought Ricochet might have had going for it was it could be fun to watch...it wasn't. Cryptic's strategy at the beginning of the match was to all 4 rush the ball and then suicide throw it in. Then it became a game of someone trying to sneak into the others base and throw the ball to them. Then it turned into everyone rushing the ball, and the ball carrier throwing it backwards trying to play keep-away. Hopefully it get's better.

I think these early games are going to be bad just so people can get a chance to see what works and what doesn't. Also, I think it'll play a lot slower than what we're used to, think back to pit flag/slayer where you waited until the other team made a mistake and then pounced. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think these early games are going to be bad just so people can get a chance to see what works and what doesn't. Also, I think it'll play a lot slower than what we're used to, think back to pit flag/slayer where you waited until the other team made a mistake and then pounced. 

I agree. It's going to take a lot more testing than one scrim. No one has the feel of it yet. Not off to a great start though.

The H3 comment was based on the fact that a large percentage of this forum bases their gameplay opinions off of what MLG Halo 3 was like.

As for the second part:

Please link me a gameplay where that strategy actually worked against any team that wasn't ********, because I have never seen that strat work in a game that has even remotely even teams. Sure you can do it against a really bad team, but you can also just 5-0 them.

I don't save very much gameplay and haven't been involved in the Halo seen for the last couple months, so I don't have any evidence here. Sorry guys. I was giving an example of the arguments I saw against it, not necessarily any IRL games. Personally I never used that stray because like you said, it was ridiculous and only worked against teams that had no idea what was going on.

But didn't you just say you thought Simplex had better power positions? On my phone so I could be mistaken. IMO Simplex Slayer is awful, lost a best of 5 on LAN because of that piece of shit map so I'm biased. Good for flag though :)

"Better" in relation to Onyx, yeah. But not by much.

aPK and I were both persistent towards keeping Skyline, the awesome hyper-pace slayer, but community feedback towards Asym Slayers put Vertigo in.

What about Vertigo made it a contender for v5?

I don't see any redeeming qualities.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Vertigo really does not deserve to be placed into any settings, it isn't designed correctly at all. Vertigo is really just a worse version of Abandon as it keeps Abandons flaws, such as the gravity lifts and adds more clutter and unnecessary elements like the EMP's. It would make more sense to add a Forge asymmetrical map instead, if we need one so desperately, but Vertigo is not the map I expected, but I also expected Station 9 to be removed as well by now.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This. Far better assym designs exist.

Also, Pit Slayer. Is Ghost going with a new design, or are we playing the exact same horrible gametype that existed in Halo 3? I thought it was generally agreed that Pit should only be used in objective gametypes that force movement?

• Upvote (+1) 4

This. Far better assym designs exist.

Also, Pit Slayer. Is Ghost going with a new design, or are we playing the exact same horrible gametype that existed in Halo 3? I thought it was generally agreed that Pit should only be used in objective gametypes that force movement?

Take a wild guess.

• Upvote (+1) 2

With Onyx in, I think we should get rid of Simplex.

The rest seems "alright" to me.  I think v6 is coming this year anyway.

Uh...

Take a look at the map's background. It's beautiful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And 343 said a long time ago that their disc maps were designed with competitive in mind.

We are using 8 maps for 11 gametypes in Throwdown, and only 2 of those maps are original disc maps.

Do you have a link or source for this?  I wanna say that 343 never claimed that the on-disc maps were designed with competitive gaming in mind.

Do you have a link or source for this?  I wanna say that 343 never claimed that the on-disc maps were designed with competitive gaming in mind.

It's one of the H4 ViDocs, I watched it about a month ago actually and they were showing off Adrift and Haven and this one guy definitely said that the maps were specifically designed with competitive players in mind. Obviously they don't understand the term competitive gamer or they flat out lied to hype the game and boost sales.

Do you have a link or source for this? I wanna say that 343 never claimed that the on-disc maps were designed with competitive gaming in mind.

Im pretty sure they said halo 4 was made with competitive in mind did they not?

2:25

I remember a video with Frank O' Connor, however, I don't remember if it was some H4 viDoc or an interview.

I just remember watching him speak those words. This was at the time Haven was revealed as Wraparound, and Adrift was revealed as Warhouse (or something like that).