CyReN

V5 Discussion Thread

Really, the V5 gametypes look good. All things considered, except for ricochet.

Ricochet, at its base, is FIFA 14. If I wanted to play a sports game I would play a sports game. If I wanted to go to Madden tournaments, I would do so. NHL isn't my thing, so I don't play it. I play FPS titles because that's what I enjoy, and I'll keep football to IRL enjoyment.

I'm not saying it isn't a "Competitive Gametype", I'm just saying that it doesn't necessarily make sense as a competitive gametype in Halo. At all. It's silly and doesn't follow half the ideas that Halo is based on. There's plenty of teamwork involved and it can get pretty crazy at times. A team can come from behind in the blink of an eye. It's fun to play, but fun when I don't want to care. Same with lightning flag and grifball. Both are highly competitive from a entail standpoint but neither is something I would want to take seriously for more than 30 seconds.

The issue, really, is that this isn't what anyone plays halo for. Not a single person heard of ricochet and said "I'm going to pick halo 4 up again". It's a silly dev created setting that should stay as such. When we play halo, it's to go into a room with another and see who's better. Or is that not what we are all here for?

Ghost, I love ya. And I've been behind you since the start. The decisions that you make are wholly towards the advancement and longevity of Halo and I believe and trust that. But your idea that dev support through inclusion of their settings has been an issue since you tried to include load outs as a base setting. We dodged that as a community (thank god). You cannot continue to go through with decisions that 343i are "suggesting" without considering whether the ideas will actually fit the formula.

But I digress.

The settings look good besides ricochet. Wished to have seen Onyx CTF, but I'll survive. Keep your head, man.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ghost, I love ya. And I've been behind you since the start. The decisions that you make are wholly towards the advancement and longevity of Halo and I believe and trust that. But your idea that dev support through inclusion of their settings has been an issue since you tried to include load outs as a base setting. We dodged that as a community (thank god). You cannot continue to go through with decisions that 343i are "suggesting" without considering whether the ideas will actually fit the formula.

I think I get it now. He had to and must continue to test everything that 343i gave us with this game. That's the only way the process of creating competitive settings will be taken seriously by the developer. Just as he once said he put automatics and loadouts in TTD so that he could prove it doesn't work, he now has to do the same with what he was given. Vertigo and Ricochet must be given a fair chance. I don't mean to insinuate that he doesn't think it can work competitively. BUT, if it is doesn't work in competitive play, then he can remove it and people would respect the process.

I think I get it now. He had to and must continue to test everything that 343i gave us with this game. That's the only way the process of creating competitive settings will be taken seriously by the developer. Just as he once said he put automatics and loadouts in TTD so that he could prove it doesn't work, he now has to do the same with what he was given. Vertigo and Ricochet must be given a fair chance. I don't mean to insinuate that he doesn't think it can work competitively. BUT, if it is doesn't work in competitive play, then he can remove it and people would respect the process.

Right, we have to TEST the developer included settings and such. TEST. Not include them in final settings to be used at tournaments on a national scale for money. The process of weeding out gametypes should never make it that far. It messes with the integrity of the game and it's competitive merit.

All three of those things are completely unrelated to 343.

Team Throwdown is a community based playlist, and Ghost has the final word over the settings that go into it.

For one, Skyline is (arguably) the best map we have... there is no reason 343 would need to push it down our throats. Hell, it had 3 gametypes in V3.

Adrift had to stay for v1-4 because Ghost didn't have any other solid options for a two sniper map, as well as a non-fps-lag map.

Team Throwdown = community based. Yes. Ghost has final word over settings, yes.

343i influences Ghost, therefore influences the community based playlist. Therefore, 343 is related to the problem.

There definitely is an agenda for 343i to push Skyline down our throats. We're a market that their DLC is tanking in, because their DLC's in halo 4 have been useless for the competitive scene. Why the fuck do you think the finals for h4GC was on skyline? Why do you think ghost had 3 gametypes (2 are broken) in v3, and 2 in v4? Why do you think it was in every fucking bo5 rotation at AGL events once 343iayame's map selections became the basis of AGL?

Really, the V5 gametypes look good. All things considered, except for ricochet.

Ricochet, at its base, is FIFA 14. If I wanted to play a sports game I would play a sports game. If I wanted to go to Madden tournaments, I would do so. NHL isn't my thing, so I don't play it. I play FPS titles because that's what I enjoy, and I'll keep football to IRL enjoyment.

I'm not saying it isn't a "Competitive Gametype", I'm just saying that it doesn't necessarily make sense as a competitive gametype in Halo. At all. It's silly and doesn't follow half the ideas that Halo is based on. There's plenty of teamwork involved and it can get pretty crazy at times. A team can come from behind in the blink of an eye. It's fun to play, but fun when I don't want to care. Same with lightning flag and grifball. Both are highly competitive from a entail standpoint but neither is something I would want to take seriously for more than 30 seconds.

The issue, really, is that this isn't what anyone plays halo for. Not a single person heard of ricochet and said "I'm going to pick halo 4 up again". It's a silly dev created setting that should stay as such. When we play halo, it's to go into a room with another and see who's better. Or is that not what we are all here for?

But I digress.

The settings look good besides ricochet. Wished to have seen Onyx CTF, but I'll survive. Keep your head, man.

The problem I have with this post is it uses the same old non-logical rationale to dismiss Ricochet. Just because it involves throwing a ball around does not mean it is some watered down fake halo thing. If we wanted to "go into a room with another and see who's better", should we just have slayer? You can't just dismiss Ricochet because of some visceral reaction.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What I would have liked to see:

Onyx CTF

Onyx TS

Skyline CTF

Skyline Ric

Skyline TS

Haven Ext
Haven TS
Abandon TS
Simplex CTF

Station 9 Ext (for teh proz)

??? (either Vertigo or some Forge map for Ricochet or even KotH/Oddball)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Team Throwdown = community based. Yes. Ghost has final word over settings, yes.

For something to be community based, an official has to make a final decision. When it comes to our community, we have so many varied opinions that it becomes Ghost's job to mediate the best settings and opinions.

343i influences Ghost

On what grounds are you saying this? If you could prove it then I'd happily accept your argument.

Pitfall Ricochet is my favorite thing to play in H4 right now.

I can't wait to see this played at a high level and if it works. Ghost seems to think it will; I'll trust him.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Reminder:

Adrift has been removed (Community opinion)

Dispatch has been removed (Community opinion)

Vertigo was added to bring in a new Asym map (Community opinion)

Concussion Rifle replaced weapons on Haven and Skyline (Community opinion)

Skyline CTF spawns fixed (Massive improvement)

Haven spawns fixed (massive improvement)

Ricochet was tested and deemed fitting as a competitive gametype. You accepted Extraction as a new gametype, so let's work towards accepting Ricochet

Old Gametypes:

Haven TS

Abandon TS

Onyx TS

Haven Extraction
Simplex CTF

Skyline CTF

Station 9 Extraction

New Gametypes:
Vertigo TS

Pitfall TS

Pitfall RIC

Simplex RIC

4 New gametypes will be bearable, folks.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I actually was FINALLY truly LIKING Dispatch (hated it since it was implemented in December/January) and now its gone lol. Happy Adrift is gone although interested to see how ricochet plays on Simplex. 

I know everyone is mad and shit but I mean its Halo 4 only so much can happen.

Can we at least get DLC required for TTD now so that Pitfall, Veritigo, and Skyline are actually played consistently?

• Upvote (+1) 2

The problem I have with this post is it uses the same old non-logical rationale to dismiss Ricochet. Just because it involves throwing a ball around does not mean it is some watered down fake halo thing. If we wanted to "go into a room with another and see who's better", should we just have slayer? You can't just dismiss Ricochet because of some visceral reaction.

I've changed my stance on this after a few other conversations. I still don't agree with the inclusion of it, because I don't think it has been tested quite enough on a competitive scale.

I actually was FINALLY truly LIKING Dispatch (hated it since it was implemented in December/January) and now its gone lol. Happy Adrift is gone although interested to see how ricochet plays on Simplex. 

Can we at least get DLC required for TTD now so that Pitfall, Veritigo, and Skyline are actually played consistently?

To my knowledge... that is currently a possibility.

• Upvote (+1) 1

DLC required made IS drop in population by well over half and that was only one Map pack

If we make two map packs required for a playlist with only 200 people, then the playlist won't have enough people to be kept open. It would maybe get 100 players peak on a good day, and would likely sit at 0 during bad times.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I still can't believe that both Onyx and Simplex are being used, they're basically the same map.

Station 9, most people wanted that out I thought?

Only good things about v5 is the removal of railgun, adrift, and dispatch.

Why didn't we remove one of the Midship clones? Seriously I thought this would be done for v5. Donut 9 makes a return too. I would have much rather prefered a new forge asym than a midship clone.

• Upvote (+1) 3

DLC required made IS drop in population by well over half and that was only one Map pack

If we make two map packs required for a playlist with only 200 people, then the playlist won't have enough people to be kept open. It would maybe get 100 players peak on a good day, and would likely sit at 0 during bad times.

Thats true idk why I even said that lol

In a perfect world, maybe H5

This is what I wanted for v5 (keeping in mind that I made this list within the 5 TS / 2 CTF / 2 EXT / 2 RIC set):

TS: Haven, Skyline, Abandon, Vertigo, Simplex

CTF: Pitfall, Simplex

EXT: Haven, Vertigo

RIC: Pitfall, Skyline

Was on the edge between Vertigo / Onyx TS and Vertigo / The Ark EXT.

On vertigo i don't like the fact that you can reach the top of the big tower (the one near the ravine) from bottom tower just using a man cannon.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

On vertigo i don't like the fact that you can reach the top of the big tower (the one near the ravine) from bottom tower just using a man cannon.

Amen to this. Having 1378920 routes to the main power position on the map is foolish. Remove the lift to top big tower and it will be infinitely better.

Also, we removed 4 gametypes and got 4 gametypes.

Removed:

Adrift CTF

Dispatch CTF

Skyline TS

Simplex TS

Added:

Vertigo TS

Pitfall TS

Pitfall Ricochet

Simplex Ricochet.

Looking at it like this, I'll take Ricochet over Adrift and Dispatch any day.  I agree that there are better options than Ricochet, but Adrift and Dispatch CTF ruined my playing experience in Throwdown during v4 so I'm happy overall.

Was there a reason pit CTF wasn't added? I dont really mind, just curious.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The population for the champions bundle playlist was consistently higher than the others, I think more people bought that DLC than Majestic.

It's a wonder to me that 343 didn't incorporate the Champions bundle and not Majestic as required

I agree with whoever said that it makes no sense to have both Onyx and Simplex. Their names even sound the same. lol But seriously, does anyone actually think Simplex is better than Onyx? Onyx is the same format, but it has more movement options going up to and on top of the towers, and everything is stretched upwards so that there is a more dynamic height advantage at different points in the map instead of just pink/gold height vs. top mid/base height vs. floor.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with whoever said that it makes no sense to have both Onyx and Simplex. Their names even sound the same. 

LW8wQ.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6