Sign in to follow this  
Mayday

Could a Virtual Betting System Work in Competitive Gaming?

If you haven't seen it yet, one of the most consistent and popular Twitch streams is http://www.twitch.tv/saltybet. Salty Bet streams CPU vs CPU matches of MUGEN every day. (MUGEN is a fighting game with user created characters, which potentially has an unlimited roster)  What makes it popular is their website, http://www.saltybet.com , where you can bet virtual and imaginary money on each fight creating a unique viewer experience and viewer participation. Bringing a system like this to competitive gaming could improve viewer experience and possibly boost viewer numbers.

Do you think a system like this could work for competitive gaming tournaments, moreover competitive Halo and AGL tournaments?

EXAMPLE: Let's say Ambush and Requiem play each other in the Winner's Bracket at AGL 10. Viewers would be able to bet imaginary money/points each gametype in the series on which team they think is going to win. This would happen for every mainstage match, every tournament, and every season. Points/money would reset each season, and top 3 at the end of the season would win some sort of prize.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've really wanted to develop a system that keeps track of everyone's LAN statistics in a graph database, but I haven't had the time. Would be able to pull out some seriously interesting statistics which would be good for betting; if I could ever start and finish such a project.

This would take a lot of involvement on the part of the AGL staff (or anyone) to maintain and organize, and from what you immediately explained, there doesn't seem to be much benefit to AGL except a little more involvement from the spectators. Also, they would have to prevent alt accounts from creating possible abuse situations, and deal with the possibility of there being a tie consisting of more than three people. Not shooting down the idea by any means, it sounds fun, but I always question how broken something is before I question how fun something is.

This would take a lot of involvement on the part of the AGL staff (or anyone) to maintain and organize, and from what you immediately explained, there doesn't seem to be much benefit to AGL except a little more involvement from the spectators. Also, they would have to prevent alt accounts from creating possible abuse situations, and deal with the possibility of there being a tie consisting of more than three people. Not shooting down the idea by any means, it sounds fun, but I always question how broken something is before I question how fun something is.

Really good points. It won't be easy by any means. I thought of a lot of problems with it already, and it would be hard to maintain. But it still isn't impossible. Would require a lot of thought before implementing.

I've really wanted to develop a system that keeps track of everyone's LAN statistics in a graph database, but I haven't had the time. Would be able to pull out some seriously interesting statistics which would be good for betting; if I could ever start and finish such a project.

That would be awesome, but, like you said, would take a large amount of time. Would have to be done at the start of a new season too.

Really good points. It won't be easy by any means. I thought of a lot of problems with it already, and it would be hard to maintain. But it still isn't impossible. Would require a lot of thought before implementing.

That would be awesome, but, like you said, would take a large amount of time. Would have to be done at the start of a new season too.

Gonna start on this, not sure where it'll go from here but could end up being used for LAN stats, etc. I'm going to try and incorporate natural language processing so anyone can ask a question/query (ex: "team mates of the halo 4 player with the best k/d") and get results.