The original Redemption design has been revived! Many people only know Redemption for its 2-base arena style structure, but I have always preferred the original that started it all. When Salot and I originally sat down to begin work on a new project, we had been interested in creating a 4-way symmetrical, close-quarters map to rival Derelict and Wizard/Warlock. This aims at that same goal so I hope everyone enjoys it.

Download

https://imgur.com/a/0mc6GnF

Overview

l8c2.jpg

xyok.jpg

Red Flag

nyv3.jpg

Red Port

on7x.jpg

Red Bridge

ctpf.jpg

Top Middle

pdph.jpg

Bottom Middle

q0ph.jpg

Map Info:
- There are 2-way ports at each Strut-structure at the end of each bridge. You won't teleport until you touch the wall.
- Overshield bottom mid (2 min)
- DMRs on Blue and Red pillars (under bridge)
- Light Rifles on Green and Gold pillars
- Carbine on Green and Gold courtyards (in front of bases up against the bottom mid windows)
- Frag grenades on Green and Gold Flag
- Plasma grenades on Red and Blue courtyards

Looks like a Simplex on Forge Island.

Redemption is much more about controlling the center and abusing long lines of sight. Simplex, by contrast, is mostly controlling the towers and winning short range BR battles. There also aren't any ports to facilitate movement so teams are really predictable. You know where they're going to spawn (90% of the time it's in their base), and you know where they're going to go (they'll push one of the towers). I think overall, Redemption gives players much more movement options while making top and even bottom mid really useful power positions. That's my take on the differences, so hopefully you can at least give it a try in customs to see for yourself if it just plays like Simplex or if it's a unique map in its own right.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The layout is good and it definitely reminds me of Warlock with the routes around the map and OS area. You also have the Derelict teleporters on the sides, which is nice. I especially like the OS and the way the bases are setup.

Aesthetically though, it feels a bit off. There are a lot of different textures being used and it's a bit distracting. I was actually surprised you used all the budget, because it feels like there's very few pieces on the map. It could just be that it's open and small.

While you don't really have the budget, I think it would look a lot nicer if you put more rocks around. First place that sticks out to me is replacing the pillars holding the bridges with the Rock 3's. Just little things around to break up the amount of gray.

I also feel like the sides are really open. When I'm up there, there's very little cover to prevent me from getting shot from everywhere. You do have some lines blocked, but my routes out of the sides are very open, and the bottom portion is also very exposed. Because the middle is also fairly open, I feel like the best place for me to be on the map would be one of the ramps on the side of any of the bases. I have the cover of the incline, a good sightline to the middle, and if I'm approached from any side, I have several escape routes. 

Of course, this is just my opinion from 10 minutes in Forge, so take with it what you will. I would like to play it though, but it seems like I'd enjoy it more in FFA. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The layout is good and it definitely reminds me of Warlock with the routes around the map and OS area. You also have the Derelict teleporters on the sides, which is nice. I especially like the OS and the way the bases are setup.

Aesthetically though, it feels a bit off. There are a lot of different textures being used and it's a bit distracting. I was actually surprised you used all the budget, because it feels like there's very few pieces on the map. It could just be that it's open and small.

While you don't really have the budget, I think it would look a lot nicer if you put more rocks around. First place that sticks out to me is replacing the pillars holding the bridges with the Rock 3's. Just little things around to break up the amount of gray.

I also feel like the sides are really open. When I'm up there, there's very little cover to prevent me from getting shot from everywhere. You do have some lines blocked, but my routes out of the sides are very open, and the bottom portion is also very exposed. Because the middle is also fairly open, I feel like the best place for me to be on the map would be one of the ramps on the side of any of the bases. I have the cover of the incline, a good sightline to the middle, and if I'm approached from any side, I have several escape routes. 

Of course, this is just my opinion from 10 minutes in Forge, so take with it what you will. I would like to play it though, but it seems like I'd enjoy it more in FFA. 

Thanks for the feedback. When I was first suggested to add more rock pieces, replacing the blocks under the bridges was the first thing I planned on doing, but they stuck out a little so that was kind of an issue. Since then I have adjusted the cover on top of the bridge and they stick out, so perhaps I will add those in and see if they end up lining up.

As far as the sides being exposed, I am very aware of that. I was also paranoid about it being too open and it's something I will keep an eye out for when playtesting, but I think it will actually be okay because I don't want the towers to be too powerful compared to top mid, and there's always a teleporter that people can utilize to stay very safe. I did not want people teleporting up to the top without it being plainly obvious to people looking for that movement because you can imagine how abused something like a port into P2 on Midship would have been. Still, I could certainly add some cover if it seems necessary.

Idk how I used up all the budget either. lol I think a big thing was putting stunt ramps along the bottom of all 4 sides. That's like 30-some ramps right there just for the floor. I also have a light in each base which probably isn't that necessary, but it definitely looks better. I'm sure I can find ways to free up my budget if there's something I definitely want to change. Again, thanks for the good feedback. I hope I can actually get some customs going on it to test these things out. So far I have only gotten a few 4-man FFAs, but everyone seemed to take to the map style quickly and enjoy it, so at least that doesn't seem to be an issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1