Moa

Campaign Theater Mod

I just remembered campaign theater wasn't allowed... Wish I could do what the modders do ...Good job to them :D 

but I feel sorry for the speed runners again, must be a bitch for them. 

NOTE: The film clip will allow you to take screenshots of the Campaign, we highly advise against doing this, you could end up with a ban. 

I thought 343i already gave us the whole "we aren't going to ban you for modded content" thing already? And as long as you don't fileshare the screenshot there is literally nothing to worry about.

Still, very cool, and I really wish 343i had kept this in for the speedrunners/glitchers who still play the campaign quite often.

I thought 343i already gave us the whole "we aren't going to ban you for modded content" thing already? And as long as you don't fileshare the screenshot there is literally nothing to worry about.

Still, very cool, and I really wish 343i had kept this in for the speedrunners/glitchers who still play the campaign quite often.

Hence why I said could, not would. Plans and statements can change pretty easily and most people who are going to screenshot this stuff will likely slap it on a file share. 

Lol proves to me how incompetent 343 is. Instead of Patching Campaign theater back, they add pointless Armor and Skins.

Most stuff which changed Halo4 in a good way came from Modders...

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Lol proves to me how incompetent 343 is. Instead of Patching Campaign theater back, they add pointless Armor and Skins.

Most stuff which changed Halo4 in a good way came from Modders...

In all fairness, patching "campaign anything" is very difficult because everything is disc-locked. The multiplayer is easier to mess with because its downloaded to your hard drive.

It is sad at how easy this could have been put in the game. 

Most people are not aware of how much behind-the-scenes work goes into theater, namely with loadzones and how the camera spawns. ODST had poorly managed loadzones, so it did not come with a "clip" or "rewind" feature, so I can imagine some Halo 4 missions not working as well.

Even if they, under what little time they had, put it in the game, M$ might not accept it because it might be too rudimentary.

I'm sure he did something to the equivalent of loading the map in multiplayer so theater was able to record it. Its not like there's some file that reads "Fully Functional Campaign Theater".

EDIT: After looking at the film itself, it performs quite well. Idk why they couldn't have just polished it some and released it.

In all fairness, patching "campaign anything" is very difficult because everything is disc-locked. The multiplayer is easier to mess with because its downloaded to your hard drive.

So it would only work if you have a patch installed - at least then there'd be an option. That's how it has worked for just about every other game. And it's not that multiplayer is installed that makes it easier - it's that it's online. TUs are still stored separately from your installed game data. 

I think they just avoid TUing campaign because a lot of campaign players would bitch and moan if anybody told them that they 'had to get gold', or even just a connection, to enjoy their game to the fullest possible. 

It is easy? go ahead and tell me exactly what did he do for something like this? At tell me how easy it is to implement in a campaign which is totally different from campaign in every copy of halo in a title update? Most of us don't know any of it, therefore we shouldn't really judge 343i based on information tht modders did. Modders did this and that, but that doesn't mean it is easy specially when you have to take choices, if you have a time period for doing the game you have to choice theater on campaign or matchmaking? hmmm which one should be the most important? hmmm?

Can't say I'm glad without Campaign's theater but either way I dont know how hard it is to implement a theater after all.  :mellow:

It's funny how modders have done more for the game in a shorter amount of time than the actual developer.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let's not be assholes. We don't know why it was taken out and we don't know how "easy" this was to do. Heck as far as I know, the only way to view a Campaign film clip right now is for someone to port it over from a dev kit to a retail console. If we can't get it working on a retail console then it can't be "easy".

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'd like to be understanding and accept that it probably would have required a good amount of extra time and work to implement a system like this into the game but after seeing that video it's hard for me to not be angry we don't have theater capability for Campaign or Spartan Ops. Now, I'm not saying that it would be easy I'm just saying I'm disappointed that Halo 4 lacks theater mode in Campaign and Spartan Ops. Especially when a feature like this was in Halo: Reach. It's like buying a new product and they don't have a commonly used feature that was included in the last one. Just disappointing, but it won't stop me from playing Halo 4 I love the series and the game regardless of its flaws I just wish more time could have been put into Halo 4 and maybe just maybe the community would be a bit larger and wouldn't complain about 343i so much.

mkwDrL9.jpg

This is what the quick time event against the Elite on Dawn looks like using Campaign theater. As you can see, that isn't right :P

Obviously they ran into issues with QTE's and Campaign Theater and couldn't resolve them before the game went gold, so they had to cut it. I have no idea how other QTE's behave (such as the Didact on the final level or the button presses).

• Upvote (+1) 1

mkwDrL9.jpg

This is what the quick time event against the Elite on Dawn looks like using Campaign theater. As you can see, that isn't right :P

Obviously they ran into issues with QTE's and Campaign Theater and couldn't resolve them before the game went gold, so they had to cut it. I have no idea how other QTE's behave (such as the Didact on the final level or the button presses).

Who cares about some QTE/cutscene glitches. If it runs fine in gameplay, go for it. I couldnt care less if this pointless QTE is not working right in theater mode.

And about this installed content on your HDD, they still have to patch major parts. This new armors and skins are not even working right in spartan Ops and this is installed on your HDD too ;)

So yeah Campaign Theater would be possible to add back.

Lord Zedd did it with modding the XEX, so he activated it again. Its there and its working with some glitches in QTES.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Who cares about some QTE/cutscene glitches. If it runs fine in gameplay, go for it. I couldnt care less if this pointless QTE is not working right in theater mode.

You should be hired for Quality Assurance. If you let something like that go with a green light, you'd be fired instantly. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm 99% sure 343i had mentioned the possibility of campaign theater being introduced into H4 with a title update. My guess is that it was initially planned as a feature but it was still glitched as the launch date approached - so they scrapped it. Post launch, they dedicated whatever resources they had to either SpOps, Matchmaking, CSR, Weapon tuning, title updates, etc. I'm personally glad they didn't waste any time post launch for campaign theater. Sure its a nice feature, but their resources were better spent on other major problems with the game.

I'm 99% sure 343i had mentioned the possibility of campaign theater being introduced into H4 with a title update. My guess is that it was initially planned as a feature but it was still glitched as the launch date approached - so they scrapped it. Post launch, they dedicated whatever resources they had to either SpOps, Matchmaking, CSR, Weapon tuning, title updates, etc. I'm personally glad they didn't waste any time post launch for campaign theater. Sure its a nice feature, but their resources were better spent on other major problems with the game.

They said they were exploring options shortly after the game came out and later confirmed that it wouldn't be coming for both Spartan Ops and Campaign. 

Happy they did focus their efforts on other things though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You should be hired for Quality Assurance. If you let something like that go with a green light, you'd be fired instantly.

It has nothing to do with Quality lol.... It WORKS for 90%... but the last 10% got used for building the seattle area with restaurants...

They could have done something like to blackout this not working parts. Or simply skipping this QTE scenes. There would be away. And it proves that there is no Memory issue like 343 claimed.

In adding more pointless and ugly Armor parts and skins? Yeah this are seriously better efforts...

It has nothing to do with Quality lol.... It WORKS for 90%... but the last 10% got used for building the seattle area with restaurants...

They could have done something like to blackout this not working parts. Or simply skipping this QTE scenes. There would be away. And it proves that there is no Memory issue like 343 claimed.

In adding more pointless and ugly Armor parts and skins? Yeah this are seriously better efforts...

It works 90%, not 100%, that's awful quality.

I don't go to the Ice Cream store and buy 90% ice cream and 10% shit. People wouldn't be happy about that. Sure you can scrape the shit out, but will that leave people happy? No, because that 10% is missing. 

Could there have been a way? Maybe. In the time they add? Obviously not. 

Separate teams work on the armour parts/skins compared to Theater mode, etc. Stop trying to be a downer. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

They said they were exploring options shortly after the game came out and later confirmed that it wouldn't be coming for both Spartan Ops and Campaign. 

idk about you guys but I'm happy they're experimenting with Halo 4's capacities and see what they can do, improve, can't do and/or get rid for the next Halo. NO-ONE has ever thought about the "QTE/cutscene glitches" possibility and even if 343 did put theater lots of people would have complained either way. Now that I think of it, it would have been a pain in the butt and waste of time just to fix that detail.

I think they could have made it to where when a QTE is played, the game auto loads a prerendered version of the clip based on your outcome. So if you passed the QTE, it'll play a default version. I'm no programmer, but I think they could have worked something in like this so that you don't actually see your QTE, thus avoiding issues with rendering it. 

I don't think the feature should have been cut entirely because it wasn't working in 2 places.