Sign in to follow this  
DRAC0N1K

Halo went "Easy Mode"

So I browse the Waypoint forums a lot, even though I'm prohibited from there. I see all these threads and I see all these postings about different things, but the things that catch my eye the most are people that support the loadout system, the Personal Ordinace system, and the "I'm not forced to an AR or BR anymore" system.

I'm not thrashing any side of the community. But I see it now as that some people didn't start with Halo 3, they started with Reach and then moved on to Halo 4, or they started with Halo 3 or Halo 2, went to Halo 4, saw that they don't have a forced loadout and now heavily support it. They heavily support POD's, and I don't mind people that do support things like that, I don't agree with it but I don't mind it. Players enjoy things being handed to them now it feels like. They like to get rewarded with a Power Weapon for kills rather then rushing Rockets on The Pit or rushing the Shotgun on Guardian. Hell, the Spartan Laser was rushed on Valhalla like a war zone, you had it, you controlled the map basically.

Now you can get Rockets as simple as getting points for kills, call it down and boom, you have it. You don't want to die, simply equip the Survivor mod and be ejected out of vehicles! I can understand 343 tried static weapon spawns on some of the maps and is slowly backing out of Infinity Settings but putting Halo in "easy mode where you get rewarded for everything you do" in my honest opinion, is what disinterested players. Having it simple as hell to rank up with no motivation or feel of accomplishment that I played rock solid to get here is more demotivating then anything! Having Sprint to the point of "oh you're shooting me" Let me haul ass to a corner, then take out my Shotgun to kill you or stick you with a Plasma that comes with my Loadout is gamebreaking honestly. Halo 4 got more accessible yes, but in doing so, it made Halo so incredibly simple it's shocking. Halo has been a game to get the hang of easily. But as for getting better and getting skill, that took work if you are or even aren't a natural born shooter. It took my friend teaching me how to strafe just to avoid missing half my shots in Halo 3. But now you have a Boltshot in every class that you can 1 shot someone with. You have weak vehicles still that the Sniper works like a Spartan Laser against because of how paper developed everything is. If you wanted to take down a Banshee back then, a Sniper wouldn't work, you'd have to shoot the damn thing twice with a Tank or have someone with a Missile Launcher or Spartan Laser just to put it down. You had variety in how you could complete objective gametypes like CTF on Sandtrap where you could move the Elephants either close up or father away to make it a challenge for the other team. Now you have to carry the flag like your life depends on it with the advantage of having infinite Magnum ammo instead of "hey I'm getting shot at, let me switch to my BR and gun them down"

It's like where did the challenge in Halo go you know? Where did the "playing your hardest" and being good matter with rank? With the exception of the rank exploiting and cheating in Halo 3. You're rank was a reflection of your skill. If you were a 50 in Halo 3 or Halo 2, people acknowledged that. If you were a 20 or below, you were thrashed on Bnet. I was thrashed for being only a Staff Captain. Being a 50 in a video game maybe didn't mean much but being a 50 in Halo meant something to people in terms of skill. When you played against 50's, if they didn't buy their account, you knew what you were going up against and couldn't afford to choke. Now, you can be an SR130 and people wouldn't care, they don't care. You could be an Inheritor on Reach and people would just shrug. But in Halo 3 and Halo 2, they cared.

But in Halo 4, it just isn't there. The challenge. It's full of clutching AA's that have to be selective of in Team Throwdown just to make Halo 4 competitive via POD's. It's picking what weapon you want, getting kills and being rewarded with a power weapon, rarther then, the weapon the game type spawns you with is the weapon you start with, and what weapons the map creator put on there are the weapons that are available to you. It's sad enough Halo 4 has to have modded gametypes just to recreate that traditional Halo feel.

Now I'm not all about nostalgia. I'm about wanting Halo to be in the state that it was to begin with. The state that worked for how many years without fail? The state that put in on MLG, and made the competitive scene and formed competitive Halo's base. Halo isn't about any "Easy Mode" It's about the challenge in the formula, and the experience that challenges you to better your skill so you're not run down by people that are better then you. That's some of what Halo has been about and in it's core.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, thats why the game has a population below 20k everyday. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Relevant.

But seriously, I agree. As a casual player, Halo 4 is more accessible, but the gameplay isn't as engaging, and it gets old really fast. Halo 3 was a lot more addictive because the 'randomness' came from fresh opponents instead of a game mechanic and felt balanced and fair. It challenged me to play harder instead of just rolling more dice and gave me a consistent reward that kept me coming back. Hell, even when 3 pissed me off it was players that were bugging me, so the game didn't 'lose face'. In 4 it's more like, "What?! An Incineration Cannon?! Fuck you Halo.."

• Upvote (+1) 6

So I browse the Waypoint forums a lot, even though I'm prohibited from there. I see all these threads and I see all these postings about different things, but the things that catch my eye the most are people that support the loadout system, the Personal Ordinace system, and the "I'm not forced to an AR or BR anymore" system.

I'm not thrashing any side of the community. But I see it now as that some people didn't start with Halo 3, they started with Reach and then moved on to Halo 4, or they started with Halo 3 or Halo 2, went to Halo 4, saw that they don't have a forced loadout and now heavily support it. They heavily support POD's, and I don't mind people that do support things like that, I don't agree with it but I don't mind it. Players enjoy things being handed to them now it feels like. They like to get rewarded with a Power Weapon for kills rather then rushing Rockets on The Pit or rushing the Shotgun on Guardian. Hell, the Spartan Laser was rushed on Valhalla like a war zone, you had it, you controlled the map basically.

Now you can get Rockets as simple as getting points for kills, call it down and boom, you have it. You don't want to die, simply equip the Survivor mod and be ejected out of vehicles! I can understand 343 tried static weapon spawns on some of the maps and is slowly backing out of Infinity Settings but putting Halo in "easy mode where you get rewarded for everything you do" in my honest opinion, is what disinterested players. Having it simple as hell to rank up with no motivation or feel of accomplishment that I played rock solid to get here is more demotivating then anything! Having Sprint to the point of "oh you're shooting me" Let me haul ass to a corner, then take out my Shotgun to kill you or stick you with a Plasma that comes with my Loadout is gamebreaking honestly. Halo 4 got more accessible yes, but in doing so, it made Halo so incredibly simple it's shocking. Halo has been a game to get the hang of easily. But as for getting better and getting skill, that took work if you are or even aren't a natural born shooter. It took my friend teaching me how to strafe just to avoid missing half my shots in Halo 3. But now you have a Boltshot in every class that you can 1 shot someone with. You have weak vehicles still that the Sniper works like a Spartan Laser against because of how paper developed everything is. If you wanted to take down a Banshee back then, a Sniper wouldn't work, you'd have to shoot the damn thing twice with a Tank or have someone with a Missile Launcher or Spartan Laser just to put it down. You had variety in how you could complete objective gametypes like CTF on Sandtrap where you could move the Elephants either close up or father away to make it a challenge for the other team. Now you have to carry the flag like your life depends on it with the advantage of having infinite Magnum ammo instead of "hey I'm getting shot at, let me switch to my BR and gun them down"

It's like where did the challenge in Halo go you know? Where did the "playing your hardest" and being good matter with rank? With the exception of the rank exploiting and cheating in Halo 3. You're rank was a reflection of your skill. If you were a 50 in Halo 3 or Halo 2, people acknowledged that. If you were a 20 or below, you were thrashed on Bnet. I was thrashed for being only a Staff Captain. Being a 50 in a video game maybe didn't mean much but being a 50 in Halo meant something to people in terms of skill. When you played against 50's, if they didn't buy their account, you knew what you were going up against and couldn't afford to choke. Now, you can be an SR130 and people wouldn't care, they don't care. You could be an Inheritor on Reach and people would just shrug. But in Halo 3 and Halo 2, they cared.

But in Halo 4, it just isn't there. The challenge. It's full of clutching AA's that have to be selective of in Team Throwdown just to make Halo 4 competitive via POD's. It's picking what weapon you want, getting kills and being rewarded with a power weapon, rarther then, the weapon the game type spawns you with is the weapon you start with, and what weapons the map creator put on there are the weapons that are available to you. It's sad enough Halo 4 has to have modded gametypes just to recreate that traditional Halo feel.

Now I'm not all about nostalgia. I'm about wanting Halo to be in the state that it was to begin with. The state that worked for how many years without fail? The state that put in on MLG, and made the competitive scene and formed competitive Halo's base. Halo isn't about any "Easy Mode" It's about the challenge in the formula, and the experience that challenges you to better your skill so you're not run down by people that are better then you. That's some of what Halo has been about and in it's core.

this

• Downvote (-1) 6

The way I look at it no matter how much gadgets and gimmicks you add to Halo, its still a DM game that is dependent on interesting skill-based battles and Sandbox dynamics. As we progress further and further through the series the battles become slower, less dynamic, offer less tactical options in the Golden Triangle, and thus the battles become less about smarts and skill and more about who has the most OP ability/perk or weapon for the encounter. ​The longer length of the battles become a formality and no longer engaging and rewarding to the player. The push for a more accessible Halo has made the game-play less interesting and fun on all levels.

The unique Sandbox dynamics like nading weapons, flag throwing/juggling, numerous physic tricks, button combos, Ragdoll physics, less portals/verticality, less map interaction, less grenade angles, ect... have been all but eliminated in favor of more realistic physics and a more sterile military shooter style of game-play. This does not just remove depth from MP, but it also eliminates the Sandbox feel of the campaign and makes it more linear and straight-forward. The GIF of the H4 campaign where some dude is just pressing buttons comes to mind, its a metaphor for how straight-forward Halo has become.

Load-outs were a flawed addition to begin with as weapons in Halo's Sandbox are not directly balanced against each other but rather rely on different range niches and hierarchy in the Sandbox for map movement.  Halo relies on the two weapon system with standard weapons and power weapons on the map to swap those weapons out, the weapons must be distinct and have varied range and power niches for this system to work effectively, shoving all of the non-PW's into load-outs and ordinances limits the Sandbox variety and makes the concept of power-ups and map control which enhanced the Sandbox in previous games into a random kill-streak gimmick. The load-outs have to be done half-ass to compensate because obviously you cant have people spawning with snipers or shotguns or the game would be broken. Perks add little dynamics to game-play while further taking power and equality away from base player traits, further nerfing the base game in favor of gimmicks. 

In this shit storm of design not only has Halo become "easier" and less rewarding, its two strongest MP components which are interesting and skill-based battles and Sandbox dynamics have been further de-emphasized so Halo can became more interesting at the load-out screen. We have traded quality Halo game-play and amazing Sandbox dynamics, so my Spartan can play dress-up at the load-out screen and call in PW kill-streaks. Halo CE would be proud.

• Upvote (+1) 3

After this

Halo2-cover.png

We were given this....

Halo3_BOX_OFFICIAL_2008-06_ESRB-FINAL-Bo

And ever since then we have been kicked in the balls just a little harder each time. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

I agree. Where we are probably not in agreement is that the downfall began much earlier than H4. I can see why people hated H2 when it first came out, because it was easier than CE. For me, H2 was my first and main halo, and so it is my favorite by far. And I still to this day strongly believe in terms of difficulty H1>H2>H3>Reach>H4

It just keeps getting easier.

H2 was my favorite overall because:

A) It was my first Halo

B ) It has a lot of button glitches which further separated the bad players from the good players. 

C) It was simple. You won the battle if you had a better BR and were smart in terms of how you played it or were clutch and you pulled off something miraculous. There was no bolt shot or sprint to get you out of a shitty situation.

Fuck halo these days, but seriously, I still love Halo, I just can't believe how much shittier it has become.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Relevant.

But seriously, I agree. As a casual player, Halo 4 is more accessible, but the gameplay isn't as engaging, and it gets old really fast. Halo 3 was a lot more addictive because the 'randomness' came from fresh opponents instead of a game mechanic and felt balanced and fair. It challenged me to play harder instead of just rolling more dice and gave me a consistent reward that kept me coming back. Hell, even when 3 pissed me off it was players that were bugging me, so the game didn't 'lose face'. In 4 it's more like, "What?! An Incineration Cannon?! Fuck you Halo.."

Exactly where I'm coming from.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree. Where we are probably not in agreement is that the downfall began much earlier than H4. I can see why people hated H2 when it first came out, because it was easier than CE. For me, H2 was my first and main halo, and so it is my favorite by far. And I still to this day strongly believe in terms of difficulty H1>H2>H3>Reach>H4

It just keeps getting easier.

H2 was my favorite overall because:

A) It was my first Halo

B ) It has a lot of button glitches which further separated the bad players from the good players. 

C) It was simple. You won the battle if you had a better BR and were smart in terms of how you played it or were clutch and you pulled off something miraculous. There was no bolt shot or sprint to get you out of a shitty situation.

Fuck halo these days, but seriously, I still love Halo, I just can't believe how much shittier it has become.

No, I agree with you there. I was just talking about the magnitude of the change we saw from 3 to Reach. CE-2-3 got easier by degrees with rebalancing of base mechanics and shit. Equipment wasn't that big of a deal imo. Then it went class-based and jumped genres, and hell, now it's half RPG too lmao

It's called selling out to make more money.

Very true, interesting to hear what Red Orchestra dev had to say about compressing the skill gap to make a game more accessible(and thus appeal to more people) http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/

And really, watching some of these guys play… one of the things that Call of Duty does, and it’s smart business, to a degree, is they compress the skill gap. And the way you compress the skill gap as a designer is you add a whole bunch of randomness. A whole bunch of weaponry that doesn’t require any skill to get kills. Random spawns, massive cone fire on your weapons. Lots of devices that can get kills with zero skill at all, and you know, it’s kind of smart to compress your skill gap to a degree. You don’t want the elite players to destroy the new players so bad that new players can never get into the game and enjoy it. I’m looking at you, Dota. [laughs] Sorry.

“If there’s no fear, there’s no tension, the victory is shallow. We want there to be some fear.”
But the skill gap is so compressed, that it’s like a slot machine. You might as well just sit down at a slot machine and have a thing that pops up an says “I got a kill!” They’ve taken individual skill out of the equation so much.

Infinity Slayer is pretty much the definition of what he is saying here, DMR bloom, random BR spread, and cheap AA's(AL and camo come to mind) also were also skill-gap compressors as well as cheap weaponry you get in ordinances and even the bolt-shot. Even the removal of ranked was not because of "rampant cheating" like Frank O' Connor wants us to believe, it was because they did not like superior players lording their higher skill levels over noobs.

Its okay to add some fluff and gimmicks for fun social modes and such, but turning the main game-type of Halo for the last 10+years into Fiesta Slayer is going way over-board into ridiculous almost treasonous territory. Halo was always the top choice for comp console players on Xbox up until recently when it started catering towards casuals with its gameplay. The die-hard community of the past is practically dead as a result.

• Upvote (+1) 2

jesus, that guy needs to make the next halo game. PLEASE. He sounds just like me ranting.

We all know  AAA shooters have become easier/less comp focused and it must be frustrating to try and make a unique quality comp shooter these days whether it be console or PC and be ignored by the general population because your game is not like MW or whatever. The struggle must be real lol, people need to support a diverse range of titles if we want diverse and challenging shooters in the FPS MP genre.