Sign in to follow this  
FLuFFy

Just Imagine a Halo 2 Anniversary

Halo 2 Anny with spec mode+dedis MLG 2013  :kappa:

I dont even care if the community is not the same and people argue about glitches again, H2 HD would be fun as fuck and revitalize the community.

H2 HD this year, H5 next year. Its just a crime this game is not on XBL or Marketplace when it practically spawned the popularity of XBL.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If they released a Halo 2 Anniversary just the way it was with updated graphics, Theater, and Forge?  I would never play another game again.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Here's what I want.

It's just called Halo Anniversary.

• The entire game is in the art style of Halo 3 with updated graphics.
  • All the Halo CE, 2, & 3 maps are reskinned for this art style. Excluding maps that generally weren't liked.
  • No campaign. Why? Because honestly, remaking nearly every Halo CE, 2, & 3 map is enough work. Let's not ask too much now. We're already walking thin ice with this idea.
  • The ranking system is a mix of Halo 2 and Halo 3. It's the Halo 2 ranking system, but like Halo 3, there's one for each playlists.
  • The deep custom options that we had in Halo 3 will now be for Halo CE & 2 maps.
  • I think we can forget hoping for the glitches to come back. Bungie and 343 seem to have laid their foot down on that idea.
  • Halo 3 Theater. Surprisingly, still the best one.
  • Forge for every map.
  • The movement and shield mechanics are identical to Halo 2
  • And most importantly, it's on the PC. It will have a stronger and longer lasting community.

Everything except your last point. This community was born on console, keep it within Reach.

Everything except your last point. This community was born on console, keep it within Reach.

They can release it on consoles, but the majority of console owners play the latest installment, no matter the quality. If also released on PC, it will stay highly populated for years more.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'm afraid that the game wouldn't port to a more current console well. Anyone here play Halo CE on a 360? It feels like I'm playing with input lag, even on a tube TV. 

I use my 360 for H1. Play on my old tube as well as my ASUS (on 480p). I use my disc I've had since '01 and there is zero lag except frame rate issues when zooming in across Boarding Action for some reason.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tumblr_inline_mm163uHay91qz4rgp.gif

• Upvote (+1) 5

I wonder how many people begging for H2A realize that it wouldnt have H2 MP. It feels like that's the biggest reason people want it so bad. I dont think I've heard anyone mention wanting to play the campaign in current-gen graphics.

• Downvote (-1) 3

I wonder how many people begging for H2A realize that it wouldnt have H2 MP. It feels like that's the biggest reason people want it so bad. I dont think I've heard anyone mention wanting to play the campaign in current-gen graphics.

What makes you say that? 

I would rather stop living in a flawed past belief of an old game and look towards the future that maybe there will actually be a good halo game someday.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Well, everything I mentioned in my post makes me say that, actually.

The only reason CEA didn't have proper MP because it didn't support Xbox LIVE at all. Unlike CE, Halo 2 supports Xbox LIVE entirely, albeit an old, shut down version but obviously it can be tweaked.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Well, everything I mentioned in my post makes me say that, actually.

Sorry, I was gone for a day.

Isn't multiplayer the most valuable part to remake? The campaign relies so much more on a specific visual style, that probably cannot be replicated with "better" graphics. Also, the campaign has basically remained static since launch, so I'm sure people already know/are tired of it. Multiplayer, however, is always new, because you can play different people from another gaming generation.

Halo 2 HD(multiplayer) with Spectator and Theater,  all day long, 24/7, no other game would be on  my Xbox.

Seriously, when the new Halo game predictably follows in the foot-steps of H4/Reach(sprint,AA's, load-outs, huge maps,no ranks) there would at least be one good competitive Halo game on Xbox One to play. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sorry, I was gone for a day.

Isn't multiplayer the most valuable part to remake? The campaign relies so much more on a specific visual style, that probably cannot be replicated with "better" graphics. Also, the campaign has basically remained static since launch, so I'm sure people already know/are tired of it. Multiplayer, however, is always new, because you can play different people from another gaming generation.

So despite the fact that they replicated HCE just fine and without the MP, they should do the complete opposite with H2A? Skip the campaign and just remake H2 MP?

Thank you for proving my point.

• Downvote (-1) 2

So despite the fact that they replicated HCE just fine and without the MP, they should do the complete opposite with H2A? Skip the campaign and just remake H2 MP?

Thank you for proving my point.

H:CEA had the lowest sales and review scores in the entire franchise, while it was based off of arguably the most popular and highest rated game. Halo 2 isn't known for its campaign. whereas most "serious" Halo players have spent the most time online with H2 multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Imagine a H2 map pack with a no sprint/descope gametype in H5?

Stop,  dont tease/make me imagine  that....makes me want to cry.

H:CEA had the lowest sales and review scores in the entire franchise, while it was based off of arguably the most popular and highest rated game.

Yes, and?

"Anniversary" type games dont seem to sell very well anyway. Just look at Tomb Raider Anniversary. It is a fantastic remake of the original game, and an excellent game on it's own merits, but it was the lowest selling TR game ever.

So who cares if it sold poorly? Was it not exactly what we wanted?

Halo 2 isn't known for its campaign. whereas most "serious" Halo players have spent the most time online with H2 multiplayer.

Again i ask, so? H2 MP isnt going to happen if they make H2A. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Like i said previously, you (and others) seem to just want H2A because you think it will bring back the H2 MP, not because you want a faithful remake of a great game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yes, and?

"Anniversary" type games dont seem to sell very well anyway. Just look at Tomb Raider Anniversary. It is a fantastic remake of the original game, and an excellent game on it's own merits, but it was the lowest selling TR game ever.

So who cares if it sold poorly? Was it not exactly what we wanted?

No, CEA disappointed many people because there was no faithful multiplayer (best in series for some) remake, and the re-mastered campaign wasn't actually the same as the original. Campaign remakes don't sell very well because they always lose some of their original soul and people have already played the campaign to death anyways. Multiplayer, however, should sell more because the experience is always changing.

Again i ask, so? H2 MP isnt going to happen if they make H2A. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Like i said previously, you (and others) seem to just want H2A because you think it will bring back the H2 MP, not because you want a faithful remake of a great game.

Why? What excuse does 343 have to not re-skin a popular multiplayer game that was available for live? There is no remaining Halo 4 community to speak of, and the effort needed to basically create a texture pack is very low. They don't even have to bill it as a full scale game, just something for Halo fans to enjoy on the Xbone before the launch of Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The halo community (more specifically the competitive community) often get accused of purely living in the past when we react so negatively to unnecessary change. But, just a cursory glance at how well games such as CounterStrike and CoD are doing in terms of player populations with little to no changes in formula in years shows that gamers are happy to play something that works.

All current successful gaming franchises have a very defined personality and identity. Halo 4 has tried to emulate that success by osmosis, rather than looking to its past strengths and history.

A remake of Halo 2, faithfully replicating the perfect mix of arena-based position/team led shooting and emphasising skill and casting aside superfluous frills would be the only thing that could bring me back to the series.

And the worst part of all of this is that you, I, and the rest of this faltering community know it will never happen.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The halo community (more specifically the competitive community) often get accused of purely living in the past when we react so negatively to unnecessary change. But, just a cursory glance at how well games such as CounterStrike and CoD are doing in terms of player populations with little to no changes in formula in years shows that gamers are happy to play something that works.

All current successful gaming franchises have a very defined personality and identity. Halo 4 has tried to emulate that success by osmosis, rather than looking to its past strengths and history.

A remake of Halo 2, faithfully replicating the perfect mix of arena-based position/team led shooting and emphasising skill and casting aside superfluous frills would be the only thing that could bring me back to the series.

And the worst part of all of this is that you, I, and the rest of this faltering community know it will never happen.

I think Halo was always billed as the leading "innovator" of shooters on console ever since H1, and while that is a huge part of why it was so successful its been a burden to improving the MP at times and keeping an identity.  Halo has a much wider and deeper universe than those franchises(which are largely  comp MP-focused) which is why the devs have never wanted to create H1.5 or H3.5 because they have always wanted to tell different stories in the universe like Reach for example, the gameplay had to change to match the less powerful character you played and more realistic gameplay was the result of the story they wanted to tell.

Like Halo 4's Sandbox seems like it was based on campaign play rather than MP, so many weapons like the bolt-shot were introduced to give the Prometheans guns of their own and how competitively balanced they are is probably an afterthought. So in that sense, I can see why Halo MP has been so drastically different from title to title, the universe is the driving factor behind many decisions whereas if it was purely comp MP you would not have to change the Spartans and gameplay to match the story.

I am doubtful about a H2 remake solely because H5 is supposed to release in 2014 and you cant release two games in one year, but the demand is there for one so maybe its possible there is one this year or in 2015.

No, CEA disappointed many people because there was no faithful multiplayer (best in series for some) remake, and the re-mastered campaign wasn't actually the same as the original. Campaign remakes don't sell very well because they always lose some of their original soul and people have already played the campaign to death anyways. Multiplayer, however, should sell more because the experience is always changing.

If people were hoping for a remade MP when HCEA was announced, then they only set themselves up for disappointment. What sense does it make for a company to re-release an older MP that would only serve to compete with their current MP?

I dunno about any of you, but I fucking loved CEA. Just being able to earn achievements playing CE, play the campaign in modern-gen graphics, and get new maps for Reach was great. I mean, how can you say the MP experience is always changing when the game was 10 years old at the time of CEA's release? How would that not get old after even just 5 years? If the MP was so great and deserved a remake on it's own, I would imagine people played it to death even more than they did the campaign.

Sounds like you're making excuses to me.

Why? What excuse does 343 have to not re-skin a popular multiplayer game that was available for live? There is no remaining Halo 4 community to speak of, and the effort needed to basically create a texture pack is very low. They don't even have to bill it as a full scale game, just something for Halo fans to enjoy on the Xbone before the launch of Halo 5.

Maybe they just dont want to.

"Hey guys, we should totally remake the H2 MP! That way, we can ensure NONE of the oldschool fans play our newer games because they'll have their 'perfect halo game' again!"

Every time people say something like this. I like to point them to the original Tomb Raider games on the PS1.

Look at what happened with those games and tell me how gamers are happy to play a game "with little to no changes in formula."

• Downvote (-1) 2