Sign in to follow this  
Fulcrum

Why is throwdown so unpopular

Well competitive Halo for the just online like to get a good competitive match kinda person is for now really dead. It's very difficult to stick through more than a couple games of half your teammates quitting out. The reality is GTA V just dropped and no measures drastic enough were ever taken to revive the Halo population in general. 

The MLG like playlist has always had a low population, it's just that now all the playlist populations are very low so we're seeing the numbers dwindle to the point that it's not really playable. Halo 3, a game that came out 6 years ago has a competitive playlist population half of TTDs. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

-v4 settings are still used for throwdown so you have inferior spawns on haven and skyline. 

-Adrift CTF is still there

-People constantly back out so it makes it impossible to start and finish a match 4v4

-The matching is not even. Average players will get destroyed. And even above average players can get matched against really good teams and you just don't get balanced matches. 

I like more variety with maps. I always play the throwdown gametypes, but like my friends and I wanna play Pit or Onyx CTF or a bunch of other forged maps we can't get in throwdown. 

I know theres advantages to both sides, but being matched with teams of 3/4 fucks me completely as a random. THAT certainly was different in MLG Halo 3. So thats incredibly frustrating right there and a reason not to play it.

The second thing is that throwdown seems more laggy for me. Sometimes I wonder if a developer can dedicate server capacity to separate playlists. And if this is being done, I think that the throwdown playlist in terms of bandwidth capacity isnt as well maintained. This is just speculation, but again, I KNOW throwdown is more laggy for me than other playlists such as I S.

i find it hard to believe there are only 250-300 comp halo players left so why are the numbers on throwdown so low?

Because Throwdown has stripped a lot of the game down to provide competitive merit whereas the default game is not competitive. This creates a divide amongst the community where there are essentially two different games being played i.e an identity crisis.  

I don't blame Ghost for stripping it down, because it provides a better experience for people who actually like Halo, but it's a price we have to pay from straying too far from what 343 decided "default Halo" should be.

Also, it doesn't help this game is the most unpopular, a lot of the players who played Halo for Halo have already left, one playlist that is 'half-Halo' isn't good enough and the majority of people who are left are either diehard Halo fans who don't like any other game or players who generally like/don't mind Infinity settings. 

It's why ZBNS Reach had such a small population to the whole game even though it provided us with the most competitive settings, it strayed too far from default Reach.

If we want to see a booming Competitive community (like other games), the whole game has to be more or less the same with the exception of a few things like radar weapon placements etc (although it would help if the developer had universal weapon timers+placements as the competitive playlist so players transitioning wouldn't feel so overwhelmed. 

The core mechanics for Halo 5 HAVE to be universal if we want to grow our competitive community. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Maybe there arent as many competitive players as we like to think there are.

Most players don't play because the game isn't fun for them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why should we play throwdown?

I can easily find a Custom game with 100x better connection and challenging matches.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well it is labeled as a competitive playlist and when was the last time a  console game had a decent population for competitive/ranked playlists besides Halo 3?

Just look at any console game released these days were you have ranked and social playlists, ranked always have the lowest population heck even 0 players for some games from day 1. Meanwhile social is were it's at for most of the players, since they are basically free to do what ever they want in a social environment.

Don't get me wrong a lot of the players do love these competitive(balanced) settings, basically good old Halo. But they are not willing to go in to any playlists labeled  as competitive or ranked just to be able to play these type of settings, since they are most likely playing for the social experience.

Cause the game is #DAD, just wait til AGL10 . Sorry its the truth. 

Better hope V5 comes out soon.

Why are you sorry for the truth ?

Why do you think v5 will change anything?

In Halo 3 MLG playlist had about 10% of what TS did and same with Halo reach and now Halo 4. And will be the same in Halo 5. People don't like getting shit on which is what they get playing MLG/throwdown. Also I'm a one for playing the playlist that has the most people in it so I never play throwdown my self (when i played halo 4 that is.)

It won't

Even if it had no sprint and whatever else you kids want, it still won't have over 500.  JS.

• Upvote (+1) 2

V5 won't make a difference either. It is a couple new maps and gametypes. But nothing fundamentally changes about the game or settings.

I don't play the playlist because I disagree with a lot of the gametypes and maps being used at the moment. Also people quitting every game is another big reason.

Since coach made his long post, he now has to stay consistent with the new "throw in a little hope" thing. He's just trying not to sound like a downer. Obviously v5 won't do anything to save TTD with these population numbers.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Since coach made his long post, he now has to stay consistent with the new "throw in a little hope" thing. He's just trying not to sound like a downer. Obviously v5 won't do anything to save TTD with these population numbers.

Really? 

Cause the game is #DAD

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pretty much what other's have already said before. It's a playlist now full of really competitive players so even if you were interested in playing competitively and you chose to play Throwdown most likely you'll get wrecked and just give up on the playlist almost instantly. I would rather play customs over Throwdown anytime.

It is because there is no stepping stone playlist. It goes from infinity slayer to throwdown. There is no "in-between" playlist to get you used to the used of competitive play. Throwdown settings with radar would be huge. It would help ease players into playing competitive settings, or almost competitive settings.

Other reasons include: no big party restrictions, horrible skill matching, too hard, etc.

Yes and No, but my opinion of Halo4 has never changed.  I might make a thread in a couple of days do go into more detail. It will be regrading the fact that yesterday Halo4 didn't even hit 16k pop. 

Skill mismatches (no one likes to lose), lack of competent teammates and the problem of matching teams vs singles.

And a lot of people want loadouts or at least an option of a gun that's not the BR.

Honestly disagree with your last point. I remember when strictly BR starts were finally put in and the population rose. The amount of competitive players that really want the option is slim. That's not to say that DMR starts would do worse but I don't think there are many people that believe we should be able to chose Light Rifle, DMR, BR or Carbine.