Sign in to follow this  
Teapot

McDick's Halo CE Beach Lan 2

I was planning on making a thread for this epic LAN on the 6th, but found out that they unfortunately were not going to be live streaming. I don't know if all the video is uploaded, but there's tons there.

McDick is hosting his 2nd "Beach Lan" (houses are on the beach) which could arguably contain some of the highest caliber players of recent lans, even compared to Ogre 2's lan. For those who did watch Ogre 2's LAN from the start, you would have seen McDick going huge against OG2.

http://beach-lan.com/ <-- doesn't have a lot additional info but here's the site.

Player list: 

1. McDick
  2. ColonPee
  3. Bonesaw
  4. Devilman
  5. Words
  6. Kush
  7. Mighty
  8. Harris
  9. Poonmaster
  10. J2eptile
  11. LegendPimps
  12. PhatBastrd
  13. Killer
  14. Vic
  15. Hug0
  16. Gdub
  17. Doughboy
  18. Doc
  19. Rippon
  20. Patch
  21. Gazzo
  22. Prime
  23. Mudbone
  24. Quinn

http://www.youtube.com/user/jwm03g/videos

^ Here's McDick's youtube account. Anything with (BL) in the title is from the beach lan. Anything from (OGRELAN) is well, the Ogre LAN. "Off" means off host while "On" means host. If you wanted one channel to see recent high quality Halo CE being played, this is it. Any questions feel free to ask. If you have questions about what they are doing in game, post the video and time stamp and i'll do my best to answer it.

• Upvote (+1) 8

YES. More CE videos! i have been eating up CE vids for the past week and thru talks and knowledge bomb drops on here i have been learning alot. It has really increased my appreciation for the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

YES. More CE videos! i have been eating up CE vids for the past week and thru talks and knowledge bomb drops on here i have been learning alot. It has really increased my appreciation for the game.

Then this is the channel. McDick is one of few who actively updates his youtube channel with top tier gameplay. The one great thing about watching such top tier players go at it is that despite the fact that Ive played for a long time, I still continue to learn new things.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quinn, as in the developer?

That's what it says on the bottom of Teapot's OP list. 

I assume so, I don't have extensive knowledge of CE Pros but I don't think there's a guy that goes by the name of 'Quinn' so I guess it's him. Also, Quinn has been to CE LANS before and he has like 3 years of competitive experience with the game.

That's what it says on the bottom of Teapot's OP list. 

I assume so, I don't have extensive knowledge of CE Pros but I don't think there's a guy that goes by the name of 'Quinn' so I guess it's him. Also, Quinn has been to CE LANS before and he has like 3 years of competitive experience with the game.

As far as I know, that's another quinn. I don't know either quinn but I am basing this off the fact that if it were 343i's quinn, then it would be a lot more hyped. I've seen 343i quinn claim to play competitive Halo CE, but it's never been made clear on what that specifically means. I don't believe he plays competitive halo CE to the standards in which I would hold, but if he did than he's got to be amazing to keep up with the talent at this lan.

Did Quinn ever state what LANs he went to, or the extent of his Halo CE experience? I "lanned" every weekend with my local friends for a year straight when Halo CE came out, not a single one of those LANs prepared me for what competitive Halo CE turned out to be.

why do they plug their controllers into random slots?

I don't think it's any legit reason, other than preference. I usually play bottom screen since my partners are better and request the top screen. That means I sit in the right chair closest to port 4 while he sits closest to port 1. I always use port 4 because there's no way I'll be top screen by accident.

As far as I know, that's another quinn. I don't know either quinn but I am basing this off the fact that if it were 343i's quinn, then it would be a lot more hyped. I've seen 343i quinn claim to play competitive Halo CE, but it's never been made clear on what that specifically means. I don't believe he plays competitive halo CE to the standards in which I would hold, but if he did than he's got to be amazing to keep up with the talent at this lan.

Did Quinn ever state what LANs he went to, or the extent of his Halo CE experience? I "lanned" every weekend with my local friends for a year straight when Halo CE came out, not a single one of those LANs prepared me for what competitive Halo CE turned out to be.

Hmm, not sure then. I remember seeing Quinn attending a few LAN's on his Twitter, one of which he was with Neighbor, Bravo and others and Neighbor said something like, "Well, Quinn taught me a lot about CE" or something. I doubt he's up to the standards of a lot of the CE vets going, but it looks like he can hold his own at least. 

When is bonesaw making another montage?

Did they invite 2gre?

Sorry for the triple post, but I was in Skillz/Bonesaws Glass Walls dualtage.

6:52 I get destroyed, then sometime around 12:00-15:00 is a triple kill on me and my partner.

A friend of mine "Del Got It" is in there as well multiple times. What's odd is I met Del Got It on XBC, found out he lived 2 minutes from me and never exchanged contact info. Now he's gone forever and I can't track him down. What a shame.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hmm, not sure then. I remember seeing Quinn attending a few LAN's on his Twitter, one of which he was with Neighbor, Bravo and others and Neighbor said something like, "Well, Quinn taught me a lot about CE" or something. I doubt he's up to the standards of a lot of the CE vets going, but it looks like he can hold his own at least. 

I'd love to learn more about his experience. I've sent him a few tweets in regards to that but he hasn't answered any tweet I've sent him, so I doubt I will ever find out directly.

Neighbor got is break late Halo 2 because of toxin, and I don't know how much competitive Halo CE he knows. For example, Heinz, Pistola, Roy, Lunchbox, Naded would all get destroyed by some of the names at this LAN. There are old pros who are good at Halo CE but the majority can't hold a candle. I think either Roy or Lunchbox have some experience, and out of all the current pro's, the only one I see being able to take games from players on that list is Legit.

That's why I always consider Legit a "GOAT" because despite him not being active during competitive Halo CE, he still is on or close to top tier level in it's current state.

Sorry for the triple post, but I was in Skillz/Bonesaws Glass Walls dualtage.

6:52 I get destroyed, then sometime around 12:00-15:00 is a triple kill on me and my partner.

A friend of mine "Del Got It" is in there as well multiple times. What's odd is I met Del Got It on XBC, found out he lived 2 minutes from me and never exchanged contact info. Now he's gone forever and I can't track him down. What a shame.

this may be my favorite montage i have seen so far. love the songs, especially zero machine

quinn is an old h1 kid from New Jersey if memory serves. He played with Strangepurple a lot back in the day.

NOT the 343 dude.

also, McDick was incredible on xbc back in the day, esp on priz. Incredible.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My only wish is that i could find some more map variety in LANs and montages. Prisoner, chill out, dammy,HeH, and maybe a derelict every once in awhile are the only maps i see. Wheres battle creek? even if its just for shits and giggles i would love to see some of the other maps get played.

My only wish is that i could find some more map variety in LANs and montages. Prisoner, chill out, dammy,HeH, and maybe a derelict every once in awhile are the only maps i see. Wheres battle creek? even if its just for shits and giggles i would love to see some of the other maps get played.

I dont get it either personally. I think creek is a decent map but almost everyone who is great at the game despises it. I've yet to have anyone very clearly explain to me why it's terrible. Halo kids aren't always the most articulate bunch.

"cause it sucks" is what I normally hear and "it's just about controlling the middle" was the best explanation I was given - but controlling an area of the map is a summary of most halo maps so I'm not entirely sure.

Also, it's been my experience that Pros in any halo are often the least flexible and/or tolerant of change of any sub-group.

I dont get it either personally. I think creek is a decent map but almost everyone who is great at the game despises it. I've yet to have anyone very clearly explain to me why it's terrible. Halo kids aren't always the most articulate bunch.

"cause it sucks" is what I normally hear and "it's just about controlling the middle" was the best explanation I was given - but controlling an area of the map is a summary of most halo maps so I'm not entirely sure.

Also, it's been my experience that Pros in any halo are often the least flexible and/or tolerant of change of any sub-group.

Honestly i was expecting to get some breakdown of why the other maps besides those 4 or 5 suck. Battle creek was one of my favs in Halo 2 and the little experience i have with H1 as well if i can remember correctly. I would love to see them play some BTB games just for fun also like on Blood Gulch or Sidewinder to mix it up. The only map i can think of that a majority of people didnt like in H1 was Chiron TL-34 (i think thats the name) and boarding action to an extent, although snipers on BA seems to be pretty fun.

quinn is an old h1 kid from New Jersey if memory serves. He played with Strangepurple a lot back in the day.

NOT the 343 dude.

also, McDick was incredible on xbc back in the day, esp on priz. Incredible.

Didn't know this quinn was from NJ. I've been looking into various old NJ people. Never got a response out of doug and despite StK Dom1nator posting on twitter a lot, he doesn't respond. Still the NJ scene is going strong. Could be a lot stronger if people were more open to growing instead of isolating a certain skill gap.

I can post some gameplays of battle creek from the last LAN I went to. It was easily my best map compared to how I fare on the rest.

As far as people's opinion on battle creek... cT would you say that 2v2 BC's meta is simpler for lack of a better term? I can't quite explain just how much it differs, but to me I feel like I have less to worry about. There's only a few randoms, Camo rush every minute which causes quick pace trade offs. Camo rarely seems to stay alive. OS goes to the team who gave up camo.

To me it's just very easy to see what has happened, and what I will do next based on what happened. If camo was burned in creek and I respawned I would most likely already know what I wish to do next. If camo was burned on priz and I respawned there is a lot more mental work needed to figure out what is your next ideal step. Obviously the overall "obtain weapons and map control" is the next step, but how you go about doing so successfully is tricky.

Maybe it's because creek is bigger, yet more covered map? Less room for players to get punished?

Didn't know this quinn was from NJ. I've been looking into various old NJ people. Never got a response out of doug and despite StK Dom1nator posting on twitter a lot, he doesn't respond. Still the NJ scene is going strong. Could be a lot stronger if people were more open to growing instead of isolating a certain skill gap.

I can post some gameplays of battle creek from the last LAN I went to. It was easily my best map compared to how I fare on the rest.

As far as people's opinion on battle creek... cT would you say that 2v2 BC's meta is simpler for lack of a better term? I can't quite explain just how much it differs, but to me I feel like I have less to worry about. There's only a few randoms, Camo rush every minute which causes quick pace trade offs. Camo rarely seems to stay alive. OS goes to the team who gave up camo.

To me it's just very easy to see what has happened, and what I will do next based on what happened. If camo was burned in creek and I respawned I would most likely already know what I wish to do next. If camo was burned on priz and I respawned there is a lot more mental work needed to figure out what is your next ideal step. Obviously the overall "obtain weapons and map control" is the next step, but how you go about doing so successfully is tricky.

Maybe it's because creek is bigger, yet more covered map? Less room for players to get punished?

It's a long conversation, really. I can't argue with any of your assertions here, but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. Camo isn't like other camos, it's often just a reward for two dead right before it spawns. Under almost no circumstances should you go for it if you don't know where the other team is. It can turn into a bit of a cluster. There is always the guy who spends most of the game top red, OS jumping back up there every 1min or so but its not like there is no counter. It doesnt play as good as other maps, but I personally enjoy it a lot and if you run camo rock carefully, it can be a map where one guy puts up huge numbers. Having good camo vision can be sooo important in this map if one guy gets decent control.

All in all is it better than those other maps? I think it's better than the disc version of derelict definitely (but not the modded one), and possibly a tiny bit less random than HH with all the spawn lottos that can go on in that map. The strats may be a little more simple, but despite not the best by far, it's a solid little map that doesn't get enough love imo.

why do they plug their controllers into random slots?

I used to always plug my controller into slot 4 for good luck. Just a weird thing I picked up when my friend started plugging his into slot 3. Stopped doing that when 360 came out obviously.

Creek doesn't have a lot of height variation and there aren't a lot of movement options besides tele. 

That is why I don't like it for 4v4. 2v2 is okay. 

I think it is underrated as a 1v1 map though (no rocket honor rule like priz). 

Wait this was not even 10 minutes from my house and I just now know about it? I am a sad puppy now.  :frankerz: